Archive for Monday, November 8, 2010

Lawrence Police Department changes recruiting tactics, looks to hire experienced officers

November 8, 2010

National search for police chief under way

City leaders have begun the national search for a new chief of the Lawrence Police Department.

City Manager David Corliss said the recruitment is open, and the application deadline is Dec. 6. The city is seeking to replace longtime chief Ron Olin, who retired from the city in August and became director of security and internal controls for Kansas Athletics Inc.

Corliss hopes to have the new chief in place before the end of the year and has selected Tarik Khatib, a captain and 18-year department veteran, to serve as interim chief. The city manager said he wanted to open up a nationwide search for the position, but he also has said he expected several internal candidates to do well in the process. Khatib has said he would be interested in the permanent position.

According to the job description, qualifications include nine years of “increasingly responsible experience in municipal police work,” including at least four years in administration and management. The department has an operating budget of $14.2 million, and the city’s 2011 budget authorizes 142 officers and about 41 civilian staff members.

The Lawrence Police Department is using a recruitment tactic it hasn’t tried in several years, all in an effort to get more officers on the streets.

The department is seeking to hire five certified officers with at least two years of experience on another police force.

Often, Lawrence police recruits are new to the profession. They undergo a 23-week academy conducted by the local department, plus they are paired up with experienced officers for several weeks when initially they begin patrolling the streets.

But interim Police Chief Tarik Khatib said attrition can greatly affect staffing levels in between academies, and he said the department needed to be innovative to replace officers who leave.

“At least for the positions we are authorized for, we ought to do our best to keep those as fully staffed as possible,” he said.

The department last took this approach to hire experienced officers in 2001, he said. The plan is for this class of five officers to be able to start working at full capacity sooner than new recruits. The more experienced group will complete a shorter local academy.

During an interview Friday, Khatib said that the force through attrition loses an average of nine officers a year and that right now the department is basically operating at 20 percent below the number of patrol officers city leaders have authorized in the budget.

Until the recent crop of nine September police academy graduates are able to begin patrolling on their own and the five experienced officers are hired, current officers are asked to work extra hours, which can take a toll over time.

Khatib said the public likely won’t notice the shortage when police respond to significant events, such as injury accidents or major crimes, including shootings, sexual assaults and homicide investigations.

But he said having fewer patrol officers on a shift means it might take longer to respond to certain calls or that fewer criminals could be caught in the act. It can affect how the department can respond to crowds at Kansas University games or control traffic, such as for a half-marathon.

But he’s hopeful that hiring more experienced officers will speed up the training process because these officers instead would only need to be trained on things specific to Lawrence instead of starting with the basics.

“What we’re trying to do is close that gap by hiring as quickly as possible,” Khatib said, “without sacrificing the quality of the hires.”

Comments

skinny 4 years, 1 month ago

Very true Cheeseburger. Oh, and don't forget those black helicopters too!

kimk 4 years, 1 month ago

What? He's going to make cops have more than a GED. That's just crazy! Oh wait never mind, they just have to have two years of experience on another police force, but can still have a GED. Cops walking around with guns, tasers and GED's thats the policy that needs to be revised.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Over a decade ago I heard they want college grads. I know some area towns will hire those with a high school diploma, but this is the first I've heard of hiring with only a GED in Lawrence. Are you sure about that?

wmathews 4 years, 1 month ago

I messaged you back about this, smitty. If you give me more details on what the article from 2001 was about, I can help you find the link. We had over 240 stories mentioning the Lawrence police that year.

wmathews 4 years, 1 month ago

Hi smitty, No one is limiting or blocking access to public archives of our stories, and I agree that our search feature could use improvement. If you'd like my help locating the story to which you're referring, please send me an email or PM and I'll assist you.

wmathews 4 years, 1 month ago

Employees at LJWorld.com use the same search tool that you have access to. It's ridiculous to suggest that we would purposely keep content from you.

George doesn't reference an article from 2001 in his story. The text actually reads "The department last took this approach to hire experienced officers in 2001." Like I said, if you have more details feel free to shoot me an email and I'll try to find any article we did on this back in 2001 to help you out.

Practicality 4 years, 1 month ago

Apparently Smitty believes the FREE ljworld online search options are inadequate. Must be a conspiracy in the works . . . . .

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 1 month ago

Smitty Here is a way you can get Everything from 1990 on I created it to find all of the stories done on Guy and Carrie because some of the people the police were claiming were conspiring with Carrie had actually committed crimes against her in the past.

http://rezwatt.org/ljworldlist.php might take a sec to load. it displays links to every story done from jan 1, 1990 to 2009

once you load the page you have to use "Find" -> edit->find and search for the story title your looking for.

the lj world search function sucks horribly.

sentinel4820 4 years, 1 month ago

Here Smitty, now shut up, geez!!!

If you knew how to search for something other than your __, you might be able to figure this computer thing out.

sentinel4820 4 years, 1 month ago

Since you want everyone else to do the work for you, here Smitty, now shut up, geez!!!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 1 month ago

Make sure they hire those who are skilled at covering up their misconduct and criminal behaviors of their own. Some of the present officers do not seem to comprehend the meaning of the Miranda Decision or simple basic human decency.

Food_for_Thought 4 years, 1 month ago

I've heard the usual idiots rant about this "Miranda Decision" conspiracy before. Where's the proof? I'm not doubting, but I'm not seeing the evidence to support these claims...

Jim Phillips 4 years, 1 month ago

Please explain to us when the Miranda Warning is required and just when the warning was violated. Dates and times will suffice.

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

Trained in terror tactics, which they no doubt studied under Olin.

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

I hope interim Chief Khatib ran this plan past Laura Routh initially, because she is, after all, the resident expert in all matters concerning the police department - or at least she thinks she is!

Except that it's the very notion of an independent citizen review board that scares the LPD to death, not Ms. Routh. Or maybe Cheesy can tell us all what the need is for the LPD to operate like a degenerate Blackwater firm?

sentinel4820 4 years, 1 month ago

In case you didn't get it the first time....

Here Smitty, now shut up, geez!!!

sentinel4820 4 years, 1 month ago

or the second time...

Here Smitty, now shut up, geez!!!

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes, it is, but the Lawrence village is rotted out with the stuff.

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

Farther reaching branches of this old rotted tree include the Lawrence-Douglas County Housing Authority, The Bert Nash Center, L.I.N.K, DCCCA, The Shelter, Inc., Central National Bank, Lawrence Memorial Hospital, LJW (but we already knew that one), and the LPD (and we already knew that one, too).

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

This town is "linked" largely by marriage and family relations.

equalaccessprivacy 4 years, 1 month ago

Find so-called experienced officers from where? Hope they don't hire cops whose experience is from an even more backwoods, conflict-of-interest, and morally and legally suspect place than Lawrence--like small-town KS or deeper into the South. Pew!

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

For instance, there's a Hollingshead at the housing authority and there's a Hollingshead at Lawrence Memorial Hospital - husband and wife. I've heard unflattering things about him and scary things about her.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh for pete's sake smitty try using the advanced search button.

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

I've been mulling over an idea to start a second newspaper in Lawrence given the long history of the Journal-World's failure to keep the public fully informed.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

You should talk with MinuteMan Press.

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

You know I know that, but they aren't downtown like I thought. They're somewhere over on the West side.

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

I've got pictures on my phone of things. I've got dates that reveal certain things. I know quite a few people who reveal things to me. For instance I know that some of the Shelter clients are used as slave labor by some West side homeowners. I've seen things with my own eyes. I know where some of this town's shadiest folks live. I know where some of its dirtiest "elites" work.

I know too damn much.

Try this intricate connection:

One of the Saturday morning Peace Protesters is a Bert Nash psychiatrist. Another one of the Peace Protesters is a client at Bert Nash but also a tenant at Edgewood. This tenant supports The Shelter and doesn't want anything "bad" to be said about it. Same tenant is a snitch for the housing authority (but also bad mouths the housing authority). Several housing authority staff are directly involved in the Shelter's success, and other housing authority staff actively participate in furthering Bert Nash's political agendas in getting LDCHA tenants to accept medication and counseling at BN while two of the housing authority's offices employ former Bert Nash social workers.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

That isn't counting the one that killed a man does it?

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

That isn't counting the one that killed a man does it?

Yes, her too.

Gratitude 4 years, 1 month ago

Indus River - You're like a stalker. Talking about married couples, people who work for public agencies. You say you have pictures on your phone. It's a little creepy.

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

And the ding-a-ling tenant that I already mentioned supports the above as well.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

I sent you a message Indus. I help where I can.

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

None of the pictures on my phone are of any people. I have collected a history of corruption not because I ever wanted to, but because I have lived in Lawrence for so long. That's not my fault.

Practicality 4 years, 1 month ago

Indus,

What on God's Green Earth does any of this have to do with the article about police recruiting?

wmathews 4 years, 1 month ago

Indus - the only reason I'm taking your comments down is because they have swear words in them. Eliminate those and they'll stay up.

Whitney

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

I never wanted anything but a place to live. I've been a real good tenant and how do they thank me?? By lyin' and stealin and then what am I supposed to do then?? Call the cops?? They're all friends!!!

I'm the one who's "stalked." Lawrence police, Mil Spec, and whoever those other goons are that drive around with just that extra light on their cars but no other markings, they all know when I get up in the morning and when I go to bed at night.

And here I am. I'm nobody. I do nothing all day long. I'm followed to the grocery store and back for cryin' out loud. Mil Spec used to like to just sit there while I did my laundry. I'm heavily intimidated by this town's "paranoid schizophrenics."

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

When my private papers are stolen right out of my house and then they tell me I'm never gonna know who did it tells me they know a lot more about it!!

somedude20 4 years, 1 month ago

time to take your meds. chew on your pill chief

Hey Gratitude

Where is the gratitude

...for a tenant who has paid the bills in spite of being subject to fraud and theft as a lot of seniors are?

...for a tenant who never allowed gang activity and/or fighting or guns on the property?

...for a tenant who has never had to report broken windows, broken doors, or holes in the walls?

...for a tenant who has safeguarded the housing authority's property from theft of any kind?

...for a tenant who has taken better care of the unit than the housing authority has? That's my time and money where the cracks in some walls are patched.

continuing -

Where is the gratitude, Gratitude

...for a tenant who has kept the unit completely pest-free all these (14) years?

...for a tenant who does not report to HUD the negligence in repairing the property?

...for a tenant who got the Resident Services' first-ever Computer Lab up and running?

...for a tenant who wrote the best by-laws their albeit-defunct tenant association ever had?

...for a tenant who appealed housing's Pet Policy that allowed tenant's to have pets other than goldfish or birds?

...for a tenant who championed their causes such as the T, getting people to vote, writing workshops, feeding the hungry?

Patriot2 4 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like "IndusRiver" needs to relocate out of Lawrence! If I was so scared to leave my house thinking I was being watched by everyone, I'd move away as far as possible. Maybe Montana! There's lots of open space there where you can walk for days without being watched!

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

I have no clue what Patriot rants about, but it does verify that there is no end to the supply of loons in Lawrence.

IndusRiver 4 years, 1 month ago

By the way, it is the intelligent, law-abiding, anti-Socialists who are leaving Lawrence!