Archive for Monday, July 26, 2010

Fire reported at Lecompton cabinet store

Fire crews worked to keep a fire at Wood N Stuff Cabinets from spreading to nearby buildings in Lecompton Monday, July 26, 2010.

July 26, 2010, 6:57 p.m. Updated July 26, 2010, 9:27 p.m.

Crews from Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical join firefighters from Kanwaka, Wakarusa and Lecompton township fire departments in an effort to battle a fire at a cabinet shop in Lecompton Monday July 26, 2010.

Firefighters battle a blaze at a cabinet shop in Lecompton. The building was reported to be fully engulfed and numerous area agencies responded to help battle the blaze.

Wood-N-Stuff

Wood-N-Stuff

515 E. Woodson

Wood-N-Stuff shop foreman Nick Hosler said he left work at about 4:30 p.m. Monday evening. He returned two hours later to find the business where he worked for 12 years, up in flames.

“Heartbroken in a way,” Hosler said. “I put a lot of time and sweat into it; don’t want to see it happen to anybody.”

Hosler said the cabinet-making business in Lecompton had been in operation for close to 30 years. It sits at 515 E. Woodson, between the post office and the Lecompton United Methodist Church.

As the fire started, vacation bible school was getting underway at the church, with 100 children inside. They were quickly evacuated to a nearby business. No one was injured.

Lecompton store consumed by flames Monday

Multiple fire crews worked Monday to battle a fire that broke out in a Lecompton cabinet store. The store, Wood N Stuff Cabinets, has been around for nearly 30 years. Enlarge video

Fire claims Lecompton cabinet store

A fire Monday evening made its way through a Lecompton cabinet store that has been in business for about 30 years. The cause and amount of damage have not been determined. Enlarge video

Bob Morris, a life-long Lecompton resident, said the church has been a fixture in the community since at least the early 1900s. He said the building was a hotel before becoming a church. It’s where his parents spent their honeymoon, “We’re hoping to save the church; not sure we will,” Morris said.

The heat from the fire spread to the church, scorching the siding.

Dozens of fire fighters from several different communities arrived minutes after the blaze started. They sprayed water from every side of the building to douse the flames. Combustible items, such as stains and lacquers, inside of the business likely contributed to the fire.

Morris said he saw the flames rise 50 feet above the building at times, “They had it contained, but it’s burning bad inside.”

Authorities blocked off several blocks of Woodson street to keep dozens of onlookers from getting too close to the fire. Jon Mast, from Oskaloosa, said he saw the smoke and wanted to get a closer look, “It’s too bad, you know, because it’s an old building.

Wyatt Sturgeon also stood by to watch the activity in downtown Lecompton, “We were coming back from Lawrence, and saw the flames way off of 24.”

The cause of the fire is under investigation. No damage estimate is available.

Comments

Dirtman24 5 years ago

from my scanner it was fully engulfed, sad and a good cabinet company as well, sorry to the workers and hope everyone is safe

AttaGirl45 5 years ago

I live right on farmer's turnpike as you come into Lecompton and it has been one Fire Truck after another going by. I can see the black smoke from a window here. This hits close to home because this business sits at the end of the street where my house sat before it too burned down last October.

Curtis Lange 5 years ago

Could see the black cloud from K10 well east of Lawrence on my way home.

AttaGirl45 5 years ago

It's now 7:19 and more firetrucks are going towards the fire still. I am concerned about the Post Office. There is only a dirt alley between the burning building and it.

monheim 5 years ago

I was walking past with my dog before the flames broke through the roof. Black smoke pouring out of every crack in the building. It turned into a gigantic blaze. Near as I can tell it just gutted the building. A few nearby trees caught fire and everyone left the church. The Post Office, church and reverend's house are all fine as near as I can see. But that building is done for (obviously, it was filled with wood).

cityfarmerdaughter 5 years ago

The Lecompton United Methodist Church had just started Bible School at the time of the fire. The church is right next to the cabinet place. My 3 kids and many many more were in the church when the fire started. Small driveway seperates the church and the cabinet place. Flames were above the trees, and the smoke dark and thick. They kept the kids undercontrol. I want to thank all of those who got our kids to safety. The kids were moved quickly and safely to the Park and then to the community building. You are all heroes in my eyes!! Thank you to all the Church members who were there!!!

pace 5 years ago

Hope no one was hurt, sorry about the business and the employment. Thanks to the fire fighters, it is dangerous work.

BikerGrandma 5 years ago

The firefighters from all the area departments are doing a wonderful job containing the fire damage to the wood shop. They were constantly spraying the post office and church with water. The church suffered some damage to the exterior due to the heat, but thankfully no damage inside besides most likely smoke. Our thanks go out to all the firefighters and continue to pray for their safety and the safety of the surrounding buildings. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Powell family.

KEITHMILES05 5 years ago

BikerGrandma 5 years ago

KEITHMILES05 - that is one of the most insensitive things that you could post. Obviously you are not concerned with the feelings of the family that owned the business or the community - which is one large, loving family.

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Fire is pretty much out now but will smolder all night, fire equipment beginning to disperse with exception of whats needed to monitor flare ups. Fire fighters and equipment from all over Douglas County plus Perry did an outstanding job of keeping the fire from spreading to the church, post office and other structures nearby. No one injured to my knowledge. Douglas County Sheriff's department very professional and helpful in keeping traffic and onlookers safe and out of the way of fire equipment.This is a tragic loss to our small community but everyone thankful for no injuries, especially the children attending bible school when the fire broke out.

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Already talked to him, doing fine.

BorderRuffian 5 years ago

Got fourteen new gray hairs!!! Yech!!!

BTW - fire still smoldering...

1029 5 years ago

A lot of these newer cabinets have a fireproof laquer on them, so I'm thinking it may not be a total loss as far as inventory is concerned.

cowgirlautumn 5 years ago

I have never heard of a fireproof lacquer and I work for a cabinet shop and they have a water base lacquer but nothing that is fireproof and never will be a fireproof lacquer, sorry to tell you that!

kathyexpress 5 years ago

God, as well as many great volunteers, have taken care of our children at the LUMC this evening. Prayers for the Powell family and staff for their loss and the loss to our community.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Well you're half right as usual bozo. They are a manufacturer that produce cabinetry for all levels of consumers from basic apartment grade to high end million dollar plus homes. They also have facilities in Perry and Topeka, so don't count them out.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

There are lots of million-dollar houses with really crappy cabinets.

BikerGrandma 5 years ago

RoeDapple - the comment that was taken off was due to the person referencing something about having a weiner roast.

BruceWayne 5 years ago

store? no. always known it as a cabinet shop. several folks will be out of work now. lots of tax dollars in the county will be missed. pretty insensitive comment to be made.

Bunny_Hotcakes 5 years ago

I wish the LJWorld had a "Like" button, because I'd click it for this.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

I have absolutely nothing against this company, and I fully expect that insurance will allow them to quickly rebuild their shop, after which they'll resume building low-quality cabinets for which there has been considerable demand around these parts.

Or maybe not, given that demand from the sprawl machines is decidedly down.

bad_dog 5 years ago

If, as you assert bozo, you have nothing against this company, why do you consider their products "low-end" and "low-quality"?

I can't speak to your experience with this company if any, but given you've expressed no prior personal experience with them or their products, perhaps you shouldn't speculate regarding the quality of their cabinets.

We built our house several years ago and purchased custom oak cabinets from Wood-N-Stuff. IMHO they are well built and far superior to the mass produced stuff I see at Home Depot/Lowe's, etc. I've been employed by a custom cabinet maker manufacturing, finishing and installing custom cabinets, so I believe I have some basis for my opinions regarding cabinet quality.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

I guess you could say you're well invested in your opinion.

bad_dog 5 years ago

I guess you could also say I invested well as the cabinets have performed as expected without problems and still look beautiful. If there was a problem with our cabinets, I would do something to address it, regardless where they were manufactured.

Can you spend more money on cabinets? Sure-we could have spent much more if we wanted imported exotic woods and hand hammered wrought iron hardware. Spending more modestly, however, does not inherently establish that you purchased an inferior product.

We chose a local business to build our cabinets, thus satisfying our needs and keeping our money in the local economic loop. Our cabinets were built to spec, fit perfectly and are without defects. What are you looking for in cabinets? I don't know about you, but I look for things like the quality of the wood used in the carcass, shelves and back, complimentary grain lines, contemporary manufacturing techniques and craftsmanship, European hinges, etc.

I guess if you just have to be bitter about something, why not a local business that was just destroyed. Even if they have adequate insurance, it will be weeks if not months before this business is up and running again.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

Bitter? I really couldn't care less about where you bought cabinets. If you're happy about them, good on you.

Too bad about the fire, but stuff happens, and thankfully no one was hurt.

bad_dog 5 years ago

Not bitter?

Well you certainly strike me that way. Let’s see-here's some of your comments regarding a fire that just destroyed a local business…

“Was it really a "cabinet store?" I've never known them as anything other than manufacturers of low-end cabinetry for the local sprawl machines.” “There are lots of million-dollar houses with really crappy cabinets” “…I fully expect that insurance will allow them to quickly rebuild their shop, after which they'll resume building low-quality cabinets for which there has been considerable demand around these parts. Or maybe not, given that demand from the sprawl machines is decidedly down.”

So I guess I don't know whether you're bitter about your perceptions of local sprawl, low-end cabinetry, million dollar homes in general, million dollar homes with really crappy cabinets or all the above. Nevertheless, you sure strike me as bitter-and it's not just this topic that strikes me in that fashion.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

BorderRuffian 5 years ago

Bozo - perhaps you have some beef with their cabinets? The church next door has a boat load of his cabinets. They are used constantly, and after quite a few years, they are still beautiful, still work perfectly, and if the church needed more cabinets, Wood-N-Stuff would be their first choice. Period.

Rant all you want - but nothing beats personal experience.

bad_dog 5 years ago

Building contractors typically prefer to use cheaper "everything" not just cabinets whenever possible. Why wouldn't you when building a spec home? That's why you hear references to things like "builder's grade" carpet or appliances. If you want better choices in supplies and materials you contract for "upgrades". A builder wants to use lower priced materials to keep the purchase point as inexpensive as possible to ensure marketability while maintaining profit margins. Cheaper cabinets, carpets and appliances lead to lower priced homes. It doesn't make them junk, they just tend have a shorter service life or fewer bells & whistles.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

Pot shots? Where did I take a pot shot? I merely corrected the article which identified them as a "cabinet store."

Stating that they make low-end cabinetry certainly isn't a pot shot as both you and bad dog have stated that not everyone can afford high-end cabinetry. They fill a market niche, nothing more, nothing less.

But you certainly took it as an opening to make a pot shot about "political elitism," whatever the hell that means.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

I probably could have said less. But that's true of anybody whoever posts anything here, now isn't it?

I didn't call them axe murderers, or accuse them of arson. I merely identified their market niche with terms that are perfectly accurate, even if you don't wholly approve of them.

But look at it this way-- it gave you the opportunity to scold me from your own little elitist corner of the world.

bad_dog 5 years ago

Well jstfacts, I can't speak to your description of cheaper materials given our cabinets were constructed from 3/4" plywood oak veneer and solid oak/glass doors. While plywood veneers may give off fumes, I don't believe solid hardwoods do. Likewise, 3/4" oak plywood may give off fumes but it doesn't come cheaply.

As for your comment regarding cheap flammable finishes, I'm not aware of any finishes regardless of price, whether they be lacquer, varnish or polyurethane that aren't flammable at some point. Most paints likely are as well.

I always wear a respirator when spraying paint & finishes. That way at least I'm not inhaling all the solids and can block some of the aromatics

BikerGrandma 5 years ago

Bozo (what an apt name) - this company does not build low-quality cabinets. They do quality work. Unless you know what you are talking about, please refrain from such inconsiderate comments.

LA_Ex 5 years ago

Well.....I guess that proves it. palm smack to forehead

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

If you come to forums of this sort looking for anything like "proof," of anything, then I have a bridge that I'd be happy to sell you.

So, believe whatever you want about whatever you want.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

I didn't know you were keeping score.

I'll try to do better next time, coach.

BruceWayne 5 years ago

just drove by and it is still smoking. I for one hope Dave rebuilds.