Sports

Sports

Hitting the road: KU men’s basketball to play first true road game vs. Cal

California guard Gary Franklin (4) and forward Harper Kamp (22) celebrate their victory against Cal Poly on Saturday in Berkeley, Calif. The Bears welcome the Jayhawks to Haas Pavilion tonight.

December 22, 2010

— Brady Morningstar, who has lived in Lawrence the vast majority of his life, has a favorite getaway spot in scenic San Francisco.

Kansas University’s 6-foot-4 senior guard rented a room in a 10-story apartment building in downtown ’Frisco in the summer of 2009, choosing to work out in the Bay Area with former KU assistant coach Bob Hill as well as trainer Frank Matrisciano.

“It’s a cool city,” Morningstar said of San Francisco, which is located 14 miles from Berkeley, site of today’s KU-California game (10 p.m., 11,877-seat Haas Pavilion).

“I don’t know if I’d ever live there (permanently), but I would definitely come out for a long vacation again. For the summer, it’s hot, but not ridiculously hot where you don’t want to go outside. It always helps to be able to work outside when it’s not 100 degrees.”

Morningstar — he averages 5.6 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists a game for the No. 3-ranked Jayhawks (10-0) — will feel some familiarity on this trip, which is KU’s first true road trip of the season.

The Jayhawks beat Ohio and Arizona in Las Vegas and Memphis in New York City in three neutral-site games.

“I think it’s awesome,” Morningstar said of playing a game on somebody else’s campus. “I can’t wait to wear our blue jerseys. I’ve been waiting all year to wear those. It’s probably one of my favorite jerseys to wear,” he added with a smile.

Seriously folks ... “it’s always good to get on the road and play. We look forward to playing a good team like Cal on the road. It can help prepare us for the (Big 12) conference,” Morningstar said.

Cal, the fourth Pac-10 team to play KU so far this season, takes a 6-4 record into the game following Saturday’s 51-41 home victory over Cal-Poly.

The Bears have top-quality wins over New Mexico (89-64), Temple (57-50) and Iowa State (76-73 in Ames), while losing to Notre Dame, Boston College, San Diego State and Southern Miss.

The Bears, who fell to KU, 84-69, last Dec. 22 at KU, are paced by 6-8 junior Harper Kamp (13.1 ppg) and 6-3 junior Jorge Gutierrez (12.6 ppg).

Right behind in scoring: 6-7 senior Markhuri Sanders-Frison (9.1 ppg), 6-2 freshman Gary Franklin (8.3 ppg) and 6-6 freshman Allen Crabbe (7.4 ppg).

“They’ve played one of the toughest schedules in the country,” KU coach Bill Self said of the Bears, who according to one site have the country’s third-hardest schedule to date. KU’s is 20th. “They’ve got a couple young guards playing a lot of minutes. Their big guys are good.

“We need to play somewhere in a true road game, a true away crowd,” Self added. I’m sure they’ll have a lot of people there in Haas Pavilion. I’ve only been there one other time, Jason Kidd’s first-ever game as a collegian. I was at Oklahoma State. It didn’t go well.”

The Bears beat OSU that day as they did a batch of teams in the two-year Kidd era.

“It’s always good to get that last win before Christmas,” Self said. He’ll let the Jayhawks head to their hometowns for the weekend holiday following the game. “I’m sure both teams will be motivated.”

The Jayhawks should be fired up, coming off Saturday’s narrow two-point victory over USC of the same Pac-10 Conference.

“I think it’s going to be a difficult atmosphere,” said KU junior Tyshawn Taylor, coming off a six-turnover, one-assist performance versus the Trojans. “It is our first true away game. I’m sure that anyone who plays against us is going to be juiced and ready to play. We are going to go out there and do what we do, just try to get better.”

Added Markieff Morris: “We need to show togetherness, to see if we are together as a team in a true road game. Cal is a good team. They showed it against us last year. It’ll be a great challenge for us. We have to make shots and guard. It’s what we’ll have to do to win at Cal.”

Comments

Gary Hawke 3 years, 12 months ago

Gary, I appreciate most of your writing. However, as a native Californian, I'm perplexed over your use of the term "Frisco" to designate San Francisco. You should know that no person who enjoys, lives in, or has respect for San Francisco would ever call it"Frisco". That's a very old, uncomplimentary term for a great city (and I'm from Los Angeles). Best of luck to my Jayhawks in the City By the Bay.

rtwngr 3 years, 12 months ago

San Francisco is one of the coolest cities on the planet. Great food, drink, entertainment and atmosphere. I haven't been there in a long time but could use a visit.

KU_Dude 3 years, 12 months ago

There's a Frisco, TX & a Frisco, CO...but not a Frisco, CA.

jmonley 3 years, 12 months ago

Please, how is "Frisco" an uncomplimentary or disrespectful designation? Ghawke you are a great example of a hypersensitive liberal, that confuses the real issues of the world, by lumping them in with your utter nonsense.

jmonley 3 years, 12 months ago

Oh and Gary I didnt forget about you either. Way to get the 10th best player, your boy Brady, into the first line of an artice about the Jayhawks. He is a nonfactor on this team. The less we see of him on the court the better off the team will be overall. Stop talking him and Tyrel up like you are on commission, it makes you look foolish to the people that watch the tape. Whether it is you telling us how they made plays last game or Keegan telling us about Morningstar's quickness. It makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

weeslicket 3 years, 12 months ago

"Brady Morningstar, who has lived in Lawrence the vast majority of his life, has a favorite getaway spot in scenic San Francisco."

eh??

ehummer 3 years, 12 months ago

Looking forward to going to the game tonight. Taking my 10 year-old son for his first Jayhawk basketball game!

DaBellaDaBall 3 years, 12 months ago

Sounds like jmonley must be suffering from something that makes him irritable. Or maybe he is simply uneducated and/or ill-informed.

1. Brady and Tyrel get their minutes for good reasons. Either that, or Bill Self is an idiot. Which do you think, jmonley?

2. To educated and well-mannered Californians, calling San Francisco "Frisco" identifies the speaker, rightly or wrongly, as some sort of a hick. Damned if I know why, but I think it is sort of like calling an Oklahoman an "Okie" in the old days, when it took on a derogatory meaning in the thirties. ghawke has given Gary constructive criticism. If I were a journalist, I'd avoid the term.

Jim Williamson 3 years, 12 months ago

"Brady and Tyrel get their minutes for good reasons."

No, they get them for one bad reason: this team isn't as talented or as athletic as people have been led to believe.

The original poster is right: the fewer minutes these two get, the more effective they can be in shorter spurts and the more improved athletic kids like Selby and Johnson have become.

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 12 months ago

"Frisco" identifies someone as a hayseed. It has the same feel as the 40,000th Dorothy comment about Kansas. Use that term there and it's the same as an open fly. And THAT has consequences.

I'm sure Brady thought "Frisco" was "awesome".

napoleon969 3 years, 12 months ago

Frisco, Frisco, Frisco, Frisco, Frisco, Frisco, bite me Frisco.

DaBellaDaBall 3 years, 12 months ago

Phogfan86-you are a genius. 1. The team is not that good. 2. So, Reed and Morningstar must play. 3. So, they should not get so many minutes.

Boy, that sure makes a lot of sense.

Brady and Tyrel get their minutes for good reasons. Either that, or Bill Self is an idiot. Which do you think, Phogfan?

EXks 3 years, 12 months ago

napoleon969, I think your ruby slippers are a little too tight!

rockchalker52 3 years, 12 months ago

I've heard that before, that people are touchy about 'frisco.' How 'bout 'San Fran?' Can I call it San Fran?'

outtatowntownie 3 years, 12 months ago

Folks that live in that area just call it "The City". Totally pretentious, but true.