Archive for Friday, November 13, 2009

Health Department schedules two more H1N1 vaccination clinics for all priority groups

Lawrence resident Molly Kuzinski steadies her 4-year-old son, Devon, as Nora Murphy administers a nasal mist version of the H1N1 vaccination during a Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department community clinic on Oct. 28 at the Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds, 21st and Harper streets. The health department's upcoming clinics will be open to any Douglas County resident; there no longer will be priority groups.

November 13, 2009

Swine Flu Pandemic

An outbreak of H1N1 Swine Flu was reported in Mexico in April 2009. By the end of May, it had spread across the U.S., with all 50 states reporting cases.

The Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department will have two community H1N1 clinics open to all priority groups.

The clinics will be from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Nov. 21, and 5:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 3. Both clinics will be at the Community Health Facility, 200 Maine.

The H1N1 priority groups have been reopened to include:

• All people 6 months through 24 years of age.

• Daily care providers and household members of children younger than 6

months of age.

• All pregnant women.

• Health care and emergency services personnel who have direct patient

contact.

• Adults ages 25-64 with chronic health conditions.

The Health Department encourages children under 10 who have received their first dose of the H1N1 vaccine, to receive their second booster immunization at the upcoming clinics. A period of one month must have passed, however, between the child’s first and second doses.

Both the nasal mist and injectable vaccines will be available. As part of the national H1N1 vaccine program, vaccine will be provided at no charge.

People attending the clinic can go online to download a consent form that may be filled out ahead of time and brought to the clinic.

Due to vaccine availability, the clinics may be rescheduled. Visit the Health Department's Web site for updates to the current clinic schedule and the latest H1N1 information.

Comments

yoornotmee 5 years, 6 months ago

Why are they giving it to 6-month-olds when it hasn't been approved for anyone under 2 years?

I hate that they're using the live virus (it's in the nasal mist). Everyone who gets the nasal mist is walking around shedding H1N1.

Please, if you get the nasal mist or your let your child get the nasal mist, PLEASE stay out of contact with people for a couple of weeks! I hate that there are kids in Lawrence who could give my baby H1N1 just because they're carrying the live virus.

chargdup 5 years, 6 months ago

yoornotmee,

Please don't be so ignorant.

yoornotmee 5 years, 6 months ago

Okay, so what exactly did I say that is untrue? You both say that I'm misinformed yet neither of you offer a different take.

I read the vaccine insert - it hasn't been approved for anyone under 2 years old. Some sources are recommending that anyone 6 months and up get it.

The shot does not contain the live virus - the nasal mist does. That means that anyone who gets the nasal mist is carrying the live virus. If someone is carrying a live virus they have the potential to be shedding it which can infect others, such as my baby daughter.

This is a personal request: If you're going to go on ad on about how wrong you think I am, rather than only providing descriptive sentences about how "sadly misinformed" I am or politely asking me to be less ignorant, how about you tell me what you think I'm misinformed about or help me be less ignorant. You do absolutely no good by just telling someone that they're wrong. You're completely useless when you do that.

yoornotmee 5 years, 6 months ago

"The H1N1 FluMist is made with "live" virus. This means that the H1N1 flu will be a part of the nasal spray formula. It's supposed to be just enough to start your immunity to build defenses to it. The shot is supposed to be a killed virus.

If you take the H1N1 FluMist, you will in fact become a carrier of the H1N1 flu. Information on this drug states that you can and will shed the virus for up to 21 days. That means as you are visiting with your elderly family members, or shopping in the isles of your grocery store or sitting in church with young children and people with immune problems, YOU are going to be shedding the virus H1N1 germs."

From: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2205843/h1n1_flumist_the_nasal_spray_that_keeps.html?singlepage=true&cat=70

gr 5 years, 6 months ago

"go to the CDC's website and educate yourself. "

Wow. What better way to "educate" one's self than through a government website.

Would this be a similar way people "educated" themselves back in the smallpox and polio days?

Snicker....

Simon says to the lemmings, jump over the cliff.
And they all did.

LoveThsLife 5 years, 6 months ago

yoornotmee- They aren't giving the nasal mist to children under 2, they are only giving the shot to children under 2. The shot is safe for children under 2 since the virus is dead. They do the same thing with the normal flu vaccine. I went last month with my 9 month old and got the H1N1 vaccine for him. No big deal. I will be going again on Dec. 3rd to get his booster.

gr 5 years, 6 months ago

"yoornotmee- They aren't giving the nasal mist to children under 2, they are only giving the shot to children under 2."

I don't see yoornotmee saying that they are. Did you understand the point being made?

"I will be going again on Dec. 3rd to get his booster."

Is that because the first one, "didn't take"?

I mean, you first need to decide if vaccinations work. They either do or don't. Why need 3-4 shots, unless there's not enough vaccine, then you only need 1 or maybe two?

The whole thing is a lying political and commercial fraud.

No one thinks for themselves. They say, 'they wouldn't be giving it to people if it wasn't safe, would they?' They are told vaccinations work, and therefore switch off their brain. They outsource them, if you will, to others thinking for them. If anyone should question, they are shouted down about tinfoil hats and what not, but with glaringly lack of any support for their accusations. They completely do not understand the null hypothesis. They think "dead" and "live" virus, think one or both is "safe", but yet, when it's readily apparent a flu vaccine doesn't work for a year, they say it's "mutated" or they got the wrong "strain" without questioning how a dead virus could possibly convey immunity or if "attenuated", why it couldn't mutate.

They assume vaccines work. Some argue that vaccines have reduced the deaths from past diseases, but fail to consider graphs like the following: http://www.hardingsclinic.com.au/articles/vaccines/web1.html Hmmm. I wondered what happened in the 30s and 40s that caused deaths from diseases to drop off, vaccine or no vaccine?

Then, consider the rebuttal to the graph: http://www.oah.state.mn.us/cases/health-immun/dr-schmidt.html Which admits that vaccinations DO NOT reduce deaths. You can argue as they do, but you can't say vaccinations reduce deaths. It also tends to support what NIH states about how you get polio: " Poliovirus spreads in human waste. People usually get it from contaminated food or water." Clean up your act, you don't get polio. Don't need to pay the witch doctor, either. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/polioandpostpoliosyndrome.html

The whole idea relies upon your immune system, and if your immune system resists foreign material from toxic substances and from foreign animals, they add "adjuvants" to weaken your immune system to allow them through.

Wiki: "Adjuvants have been whimsically called the dirty little secret of vaccines[4] " "although precisely how they work is still not entirely understood."

And one questions (or should question!) why aluminum is in vaccines.

They do not see anything wrong with directly injecting a known poisonous substance, but yet complain about it from coal plants. They tell pregnant women not to eat fish, but yet inject mercury right into them.

Sad.

pace 5 years, 6 months ago

I have decided that this is the perfect comment circle to offer my new and improved product, a completely safe aluminum or tin foil hat to go with any crisis. Stylish and flexible, can be worn in the traditional helmet fashion or can be worn concealed as an attractive scarf or shaped into a beret.
Wash your hands often, stay home if you are sick. Don't let your ideology encourage you to spread this flu or another type of flu to other people, You have a right to your opinion but it won't hurt you to wash your hands and be considerate of others.

gr 5 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, pace, for not letting me down.

Not exactly sure which side you are talking about since you didn't mention vaccines nor any useful information supporting nor not supporting them. However, it may be that you are saying forget the vaccines and take a common sense approach.

pace 5 years, 5 months ago

I don't have an informed opinion on the vaccine. My guess is they might help. I choose to have a regular flu shot and a pneumonia shot. I would take the HINI shot but I don't seem to be in the group being advised to take it. I was reacting more the tone of hysteria and the personal attacks when I suggested the special hat. I don't know enough to advise others to have the shot. I do have an opinion that washing your hands and not running around spreading the flu to people are fairly safe calls.

LoveThsLife 5 years, 5 months ago

gr- actually I have done the research and I feel that it is best for my son to get the H1N1 shot. You may do with your children what you like. However, due to the fact that H1N1 is able to penetrate deeper into lung tissue and cause a pulmonary embolism in healthy children and adults, I felt that it was best to get my 10 month old vaccinated. Yes, he has to have a booster shot because he is under 10 and this is the first time he is coming into contact with the H1N1 vaccine..it's the same for the seasonal flu shot as well. If it is a child's first time getting the seasonal flu shot they are supposed to get a booster. I actually haven't switched of my brain as you imply, I have done my research and have decided to get my child vaccinated. Contrary to what you say vaccines have done a lot of good...how many kids have you come across in the US with polio?

gr 5 years, 5 months ago

If by doing your research you mean, "H1N1 is able to penetrate deeper into lung tissue and cause a pulmonary embolism", that would not mean that the vaccine would stop it. Do some research on vaccines. Yes, pork flu may be bad. It may be dangerous. But hopping on one foot, aligning your treadmill a certain direction, or having foreign toxic substances directly injected into your body is not going to change that. No matter how much you want to believe it.

Does it make sense that injecting monkey testicular cells into you would be beneficial? (If you don't understand that, you haven't researched vaccines)

"Contrary to what you say vaccines have done a lot of good…how many kids have you come across in the US with polio? "

Saying things like, vaccines must do good because elephants aren't falling out of the sky, or things like, don't see any kids with polio, sure does seem to make me think your brain is not engaged. Did you look at the graphs and just try to consider why there was a reduction before the vaccines?

But, if your kid did not have serious effects after the first couple of days and can make it past the 30 day mark, you may not have done him very much damage. Consider him as not one of the "unlucky" ones.

Wish you luck with your "research". But watch out for those planes. They can fall out of the sky due to computer chips that do not have a date in them, no reason to have a date in them, and no way of knowing whether the date they don't have was set correctly when manufactured.

yoornotmee 5 years, 5 months ago

I'm just saying stay away from my kid if you get the nasal mist.