Archive for Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Report urges boost for family planning

February 24, 2009

— Publicly funded family planning prevents nearly 2 million unintended pregnancies and more than 800,000 abortions in the United States each year, saving billions of dollars, according to new research intended to counter conservative objections to expanding the program.

The data is in a report being released today by the Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive-health think tank whose research is generally respected even by experts and activists who don’t share its advocacy of abortion rights.

Report co-author Rachel Benson Gold called the family planning program “smart government at its best,” asserting that every dollar spent on it saves taxpayers $4 in costs associated with unintended births to mothers eligible for Medicaid-funded natal care.

Despite such arguments, federal funding for family planning is a divisive issue.

Last month, under withering Republican criticism, House Democrats abandoned an attempt to include an expansion of family planning services for the poor in the economic stimulus bill.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

Apparently, they haven't gotten the message that every sperm is sacred.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

Where to begin with this reprinted press release from the abortion industry...?

First of all, the government has no right to engage in "publicly funded family planning." Let's limit government expenditures to national defense, the courts, infrastructure, law enforcement, and a handful of other Constitutionally-permitted uses of tax dollars.

Second, only an idiot doesn't know that when the liberal media uses "family planning," it means abortion on demand. Additionally, the explicit reference to abortions for Medicaid recipients smacks of some nightmarish version of social engineering. Why don't the advocates for abortion, just come out and say, "We want to you take your income from you and use it for abortions on the poor"?

Third, what the #%@! is an "unintended birth"? C'mon, people. "Unintended births"?! I think the abortion industry has been huffing some of the chemicals it uses in its saline abortions.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

STRS: Okay, first off, did you even read the article? "Second, only an idiot doesn't know that when the liberal media uses “family planning,” it means abortion on demand."---Really? So by providing "abortion on demand" they prevented 800,000 abortions? Strange how that works out.

Riddle me this: If you want to prevent abortions, why wouldn't you support limiting/preventing unintended pregnancy? Your position makes no sense.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 1 month ago

Family planning is just what it implies, not abortion on demand as you say. Family planning simply means to use some form of birth control (abstinance, rhythm method, birth control pills, tubal ligations and vasectomies) to prevent unwanted pregnancies. As with most primary prevention programs, the aim is to prevent the pregnancy from occurring. You are probably one of the those folks who oppose entitlement programs such as Medicaid, food stamps and cash assistance yet preventing (this does not mean terminating) pregnancies would reduce the demand for entitlement programs and help raise poor, young women out of poverty.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

ThatGirl2 and Logan72,

In all seriousness, you've got to know that "family planning" is doublespeak for abortion - in addition to abstinance, rhythm method, birth control pills, tubal ligations, vasectomies, etc.

Please don't believe for one minute that the modern definition of "family planning" does not involve the abortion option.

hawklet21 6 years, 1 month ago

"Publicly funded family planning prevents nearly 2 million unintended pregnancies and more than 800,000 abortions in the United States each year."

So, "family planning" includes abortion but also helps prevent it?

Interesting perspective there, STRS.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 1 month ago

"Please don't believe for one minute that the modern definition of “family planning” does not involve the abortion option."

As well it should. But if it weren't for all you "every sperm is sacred types," birth control would be much more available and effective, meaning that abortion would become a much more rare, but necessary last option.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

hawklet21, I'll repeat this:

So the next time you read about Planned Parenthood receiving tens of $millions in taxpayer money to fund its abortion clinics - all in the name of "family planning" - you can cringe, just as I do.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

STRS: We have had this debate before and you have lost. As I have in the past, I refer you to Planned Parenthood's fiscal reports (available online). 3% of their total profits come from abortion services. The remaining 97% goes to preventing abortions--a position you support. So, I will ask again--if preventing abortions is your ultimate goal, what is the problem with family planning?

hawklet21 6 years, 1 month ago

Planned Parenthood is not just an abortion clinic. Wake up and smell the 21st century coffee.

hawklet21 6 years, 1 month ago

hawklet21, I'll repeat this: Please don't believe for one minute that the modern definition of “family planning” does not involve the abortion option.

First of all, I never said that I didn't believe abortion wasn't an option in family planning. However, in regards to THIS article and THIS report, you are trying to bring in unneccessary information for your own personal agenda. Give it a rest. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that more family planning = less abortions. Really? Is it that hard for you?

By the way, get out of my uterus.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

hawklet21,

If it weren't a separate human life in your uterus, I could care less what you do with your body.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

ThatGirl2,

And as I've shared with you, money is fungible. That means my tax dollars go into the big Planned Parenthood pot of money. Some of those dollars go toward cancer screening and legitimate birth control services. Other dollars (of which my money is a part) goes toward PP's abortion mill business.

Until Planned Parenthood gets out of the dirty abortion business, I don't want a nickel of my income given to them. You should demand the same.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

SettingTheRecordStraight (Anonymous) says…

ThatGirl2,

But don't you see the problem with that logic? You want to reduce/eliminate abortion, but you don't want to fund the solution to that on the off chance a fraction of a percentage goes to an abortion procedure for an existing pregnancy? That makes no sense. I would think your goal is only tangible if you eliminate the unwanted pregnancy in the first place.

womanwarrior 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure STRS never has sex for fun, just to procreate. I sure hope his wife feels the same way, either that or she has to find something on the side.

womanwarrior 6 years, 1 month ago

ArumerZwarteHoop (Anonymous) says… You could be one less!

Or you could be one of 14. I suppose you think it's wonderful the weird woman who "saved" all her embryos, and now has 14 children, no husband, no income. I'm sure you are ready to jump in there and send her money.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

ArumerZwarteHoop (Anonymous) says…

You could be one less!

And I would never be the wiser!

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 1 month ago

ThatGirl2,

But you are here. You survived the womb. Your survived our abortion-on-demand culture. Aren't you glad you made it?

How arrogant of you, a former fetus, to support abortion as an alternative to birth.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

SettingTheRecordStraight (Anonymous) says…

ThatGirl2,

You totally missed my point. No one remembers their time in the womb. If I had been aborted, I certainly wouldn't know it. So you're asking a question that cannot be answered. You're asking me to compare my conscious knowledge of my life and survival to an unconscious and unaware state pre-birth. Cannot be done. That's like asking a blind person to describe colors. It's not arrogant, it's matter of fact.

Mixolydian 6 years, 1 month ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (Anonymous) says…

Apparently, they haven't gotten the message that every sperm is sacred.

Oh come on.......don't tell me I'm the only one with that song in their head now.

katjok 6 years, 1 month ago

STRS,

What do you suggest is done to prevent abortions, if it's not educating and helping prevent unplanned births in the first place? To me, your argument doesn't make any sense. Like thatgirl said, If you want to prevent abortions, why wouldn't you support limiting/preventing unintended pregnancy?

feeble 6 years, 1 month ago

It's all bout the cause, it seems, actual results be damned. The pro-life crowd isn't interested in reducing abortions (by up to 40% by the studies figures), only in ending them. All or nothing. Glad to see your commitment to the cause isn't hampered by actually achieving quantifiable results. What an excellent example of cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 1 month ago

barry,

actually in cases of multiple fetuses there are selective abortions performed to try to insure that some of the fetus's survive to a stage of viability rather than miscarrying all of the fetuses. But there are inherent risks of causing miscarriage of all the fetuses or fetal abnormalities. http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/common/standard/transform.jsp?requestURI=/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/abortion_selective.jsp

I believe Ms. Suleman has said she was opposed to selectively aborting any of the fetuses. So, in theory, pro-life folks should applaud and support her decision.

Here's a interesting link about single mothers, including Sarah Palin and Nadiya Suleman.

Strontius 6 years, 1 month ago

Are "pro-life" people actually trying to fight something that would prevent abortions?

Way to prove that your goal isn't to prevent abortions, but to control the bodies and sexual lives of people.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

barrypenders (Anonymous) says…

Thatgirl,

If I hit you with a brick and kill you, you're not going to remember it.

True, but you're talking about me in the present. STRS was talking about me in utero. As I said before, you cannot compare conscious self awareness with a pre-born state.

TacoBob 6 years, 1 month ago

feeble - any attempt to limit abortions has been shot down -remember partial birth abortions? Still going on. Murder, plain and simple. Your premise about 'all or nothing' is patently false. Almost all attempts to limit abortions in any way has been fought and defeated. Read about partial birth or late term abortions and try to keep your lunch down. Read about the viable babies that have been left to die. And about those who tried to save them - there have been a few that made it, but the nurses paid a high price.

The trailer park logic that says these kids are better off being aborted is beyond the pale. Hold the face of your child and look into their eyes......you will never think abortion is right, no way. Our family always wanted more kids, but the adoption process is so convoluted and prolonged it is almost impossible to succeed. Sad. For those militant supporters - safe money says you have never had children.

Kirk Larson 6 years, 1 month ago

Kinda funny what some people think considering that god is greatest abortionist of them all. Or more clearly and less superstitiously: most of the time when fertilization takes place, the embryo does not implant and is subsequently ejected (i.e. miscarried/aborted).

Chris Ogle 6 years, 1 month ago

My, are we all sparky today, or is family planning always like this. I have two wonderful children. And NO, I don't want 14 more.

viewfromahill 6 years, 1 month ago

Anyone who's had a family knows that planning is the first thing to go out the window.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

Barry,

Please tell me your in utero memories. I find that fascinating, if not unlikely.

viewfromahill 6 years, 1 month ago

Everything is "remembered," even when inarticulable.

ThatGirl2 6 years, 1 month ago

viewfromahill (Anonymous) says…

Everything is “remembered,” even when inarticulable.

False. Ever blacked out? Trust me.....you could articulate it if you knew what happened.