Archive for Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Eyes are on the skies as region braces for ‘blizzard conditions’

The Lawrence Street division conducted a practice snow removal run on Tuesday, getting plow blades on and snow removal equipment together and then driving on designated routes. Senior maintenance employee Wesley Bulleigh worked on one of the city’s plows during the exercise.

December 23, 2009, 11:38 a.m. Updated December 23, 2009, 5:21 p.m.

December 2009 Winter storm

Expect slight snow accumulation through Saturday, with the winter storm wrapping up completely by Sunday.

Clarissa Atkins, Lawrence, covers her daughter Jaila, 1, with a plastic shopping bag and pushes her groceries to her car in the Hillcrest Shopping Center trying to avoid the heavy rain. December's wacky weather made a lot of people do a double take on Wednesday morning as hail and heavy rain fell.

Reader poll
Are blizzard conditions worth a white Christmas?

or See the results without voting

Wintery photos

Have a good shot of a winter wonderland? Send it to us and we'll assemble a gallery of your photos.

The city’s street crews aren’t worried about clearing a path for Donner, Blitzen and a bearded, jolly ol’ guy in a bright red suit.

“He’s coming by air,” said Dave Kraus, field supervisor. “We can’t do anything for that.”

Instead, the 40 employees of the city of Lawrence’s street division are keeping their attention on the ground — diesel engines plugged in, trucks loaded with sand and salt, and trusty Thermoses filled with hot coffee or perhaps comforting cocoa.

By 7:30 Thursday morning, they’ll be embarking on 12-hour shifts to clear what would be the first falling snow to cover city streets on a Christmas Eve or Christmas in at least two decades.

And folks like Kraus wouldn’t have it any other way.

“It’d be nice to stay home with the family, but this is what we all signed up for,” said Kraus, who will earn eight hours of holiday pay for Christmas, plus overtime pay for any hours to be worked Friday. “It is what it is. We can’t schedule the weather. We’ll do whatever it takes to make everything passable in the city.”

As rain fell Wednesday in Lawrence, forecasters were calling for the precipitation to turn solid — either ice or snow — sometime today and into Friday. Predictions ranged from a few to as many as 8 inches, with high winds expected to blow the snow into drifts and create the potential for treacherous driving conditions.

Tom Orzulak, who manages the street division, is readying his crews to clear every street, avenue and cul-de-sac in town — stretching for 313 miles in all, or enough to go from Lawrence to St. Louis and then some — so that residents and their visitors can gather safely for holiday cheer.

“These 85,000 bosses I have are pretty particular,” he said.

Comments

KansasPerson 4 years, 4 months ago

I think jason2007 should comment more often on the pictures. His descriptions are funnier than the captions.

Jason Bailey 4 years, 4 months ago

Another pic change in the story heading! LJW editors must be bored or something.

Now we see a guy giving a snow blade a manicure. We went from a kid with a bag over her head and a Glock 9mm sticking out of her jacket, a dude staring at a sideways triangle, and now a man running a snow blade spa.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 4 months ago

sure you are right consumer, Baby update no new baby but I think my girl will have it today or tomorrow but you never know.

sadistnations 4 years, 4 months ago

lawrence journal world is pathetic as usual. remember the article about the k2 herb that gets you high and how they posted the name and address of the store? this is a small town newspaper and they act like they are the WSJ. they can only wish.

KansasPerson 4 years, 4 months ago

jason2007 (Anonymous) says…

"Oh, I see that the LJW has replaced the highly offensive and SRS wet dream with a picture of a dude staring at a big sideway triangle."

Hey, sideways triangles are scary. You have to keep your eye on them. Likewise all those crazy arrows pointing every which way. Umbrellas are no use against arrows.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 4 months ago

Has nothing to do with the rain. She just heard that the flu vaccine lost it's potency and she's making sure her toddler has extra protection.

Jason Bailey 4 years, 4 months ago

Too bad.. you won't be able to confirm my reference to the Glock 9mm sticking out of that kid's jacket.

Jason Bailey 4 years, 4 months ago

These poor guys who do their best to treat our roads and keep us safe are going to have to give up their Christmases and work through the night -- and you guys are worried about a dwarf with a bag on his/her head?

Wow...

You must have missed the grip of the Glock 9mm sticking out of the kid's coat jacket. I'd be concerned about that but couldn't care less about a bag over the head.

lynniesue 4 years, 4 months ago

she will probably do it when she is an adult and its raining and she is leaving the store...jus like mom said adults do it all the time...oh and cheesebuger she isnt playing with the bag...im pretty sure my mother never let me play with or put plastic bags over my head...and yet i found my self without anything to protect me from the rain and yes i grab a bag and put it over my head as i left the grocery store...

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

mom, I wish we could see into the future of this family I would bet money at some point this kid will put a plastic bag over head head. Hopefully, it will not have disasterous results. But sometime, someplace this child will do it, because her Momma did it to her, so it must be okay.

cheeseburger 4 years, 4 months ago

Which do you think will stick in the child's mind longer - the thought of her mother putting a plastic over her head, or her mom's possible admonition not to do what I do, but rather what I say? If the kid has had a sack on her head previously, it's apt to happen again.

Look at a grocery bag or a dry cleaning bag and see what is printed on it - warnings to avoid letting children play with them due to suffocation hazards. Why would anyone want to, intentionally or unintentionally, give a kid the idea that it's OK to put plastic sacks over their heads? My co-worker's niece got a hold of a grocery bag and suffocated, and the mother lives with the h*ll of that event daily.

mom_of_three 4 years, 4 months ago

I disagree, consumer1.

Adults do that all the time. The mother is with the child. The child has on a hood, and the bag is covering her head and providing a little shield for the face. While it could be a dangerous situation if the child did it to herself, the bag is not tied anywhere. If you look at the picture closely, in the large view, its a little easier to see.

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

Any way you tilt it, showing a toddler how to put a plastic bag on your head is wrong. It is NOT responsible parenting.

littlebird 4 years, 4 months ago

Or maybe she explained to her kid that it will keep the rain off and not to play with them otherwise.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 4 months ago

I am a parent and see nothing wrong with what the woman did. The bag is not entirely covering the childs head just the hair. I might do the same thing myself, and I have saw plenty of people of all ages grab a plastic bag as they were leaving the store when it was raining, to protect their heads. Yeah, I know, blah, blah, blah.

GardenMomma 4 years, 4 months ago

Okay, I saw the picture and while I wouldn't do that to my kids; my first thought was "Oh my! Won't the LJWorld Commenters have fun with this one!" And sure enough, the very first post lambasted the woman's parenting skills.

At least the girl's face is uncovered and the bag is not wrapped around her throat.

I can think of several other ways to protect one's child/ren from the rain, plastic bags notwithstanding.

alicenevada 4 years, 4 months ago

consumer 1, I absolutely agree. She should have taken off her coat and put it over her child or just dealt with the rain. DUH.

cheeseburger 4 years, 4 months ago

situveux1 (Anonymous) says… I have a better idea; why doesn't the woman just give her kid to the anonymous commenters on this story and let them raise her child since you all are so clearly more capable.Good grief, give a person a break.

So you are condoning the placement of a plastic bag over a child's head? How could you think that is proper and appropriate at any level? I'm sure the bag even says, 'keep away from children - suffocation hazard.'

Like the poster above, I surely hope you do not have children that depend on you for protection and to teach them right from wrong!

red_devil 4 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, ok. I'll believe it when it happens.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 4 months ago

With tomorrow being CHRISTMAS EVE I say... bring it!!

I guess if you have traveling to do, you shouldn't have waited until the last minute...

"...and since we've no place to go, let it snow, let it snow. let it snow!"

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

Those of you who are not offended by this picture or the comments, hopefully do not have children. I dread the thought of your child(ren) being harmed due to your idiocy.

situveux1 4 years, 4 months ago

Good grief, give a person a break.

backyardwino 4 years, 4 months ago

Double take!!?? That picture made me do a double take! WTF!?

cheeseburger 4 years, 4 months ago

consumer1 (Anonymous) says… The woman in the picture put a plastic bag over her infant daughters head. This is an example of totally stupid parenting. Teaching a toddler to put a plastic bag on her head.

And probably even more questionable and idiotic for the LJW to publish such a picture! What's next - bomb-making instructions, or other ways people can harm themselves or others?

truman1902 4 years, 4 months ago

Say your prayers..Katie Horner is on vacation..Oh the HUMANITY!!!

1029 4 years, 4 months ago

You did it, barrypenders. You finally managed to say something funny after trying so hard for so long. Bravo. Made me laugh.

(Saw a moron actually put an "overnighter" on a campfire once before retiring to his tent for the night. The "overnighter" was like 5 feet long so it stretched well past the edges of the fire pit and most of the ground was covered with dead leaves. Glad he wasn't the last one to go to sleep that night.)

orbiter 4 years, 4 months ago

nice sanctimony guys! bravo! here here!

A20271 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow, yeah, I agree consumer1. What about an actual hat for the kid? or an umbrella? Who does that to a 1 year old!

barrypenders 4 years, 4 months ago

Before you go to bed tonight, put an "overnighter" on the fire in the fireplace.

Stimulus, Plastic Bags, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless you all

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

The woman in the picture put a plastic bag over her infant daughters head. This is an example of totally stupid parenting. Teaching a toddler to put a plastic bag on her head. Then this woman would probably sue the store because she got the bag from them. Stupid is as stupid does. Unbelieveable... I could be wrong but I think Hair will dry, even from a little rain....