Archive for Monday, August 24, 2009

Police respond to double shooting in south Lawrence

Police investigating incident at mobile home park

Crime scene investigators with the Lawrence Police Department work to remove evidence from the door frame of a mobile home in the Easy Living Mobile Home Park, 3323 Iowa, where two people were shot early Monday morning and then taken by air ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital. Investigators continued to work the scene Monday.

August 24, 2009, 12:07 a.m. Updated August 24, 2009, 2:41 p.m.

Police tape stretches across the street in front of the mobile home lot 520 in the Easy Living Mobile Home Park at 3323 Iowa.

Shooting investigation continues

Police are continuing an investigation into a double shooting that occurred Sunday night in south Lawrence. Enlarge video

Two life-flighted after south Lawrence shooting

Two victims of a shooting at the Easy Living Mobile Home Park, 3323 Iowa, were taken early Monday morning to a Kansas City-area hospital by air ambulance. The shooting remains under investigation by Lawrence police. Enlarge video

Lawrence police released little information Monday about the circumstances surrounding a double shooting at a Lawrence mobile home park that left two people hospitalized with life-threatening gunshot wounds.

The shooting victims, who were not identified by police, were transported to a Kansas City-area hospital by air ambulance after the shooting, which occurred about 11:40 p.m. Sunday at the Easy Living Mobile Home Park, 3323 Iowa.

Police on Monday afternoon said they were questioning a person “who may be directly involved in the incident” but who was not considered a suspect.

Officers did not release any information about what motivated the shootings, whether either victim participated in the shootings or whether there were any suspects they were looking for.

“We don’t want to release information that down the line may hurt the investigation,” said Sgt. Bill Cory, police spokesman.

Cory said no arrests had been made in the case and that multiple detectives and patrol officers had been assigned to the investigation, which kept them at the mobile home park into the day Monday. Police were also investigating inside of a mobile home.

Two air ambulances were requested at 11:53 p.m. Sunday to transport the shooting victims to a Kansas City, Kan., hospital. Each helicopter picked up one patient in the parking lot of Super Target, 3201 Iowa. The first helicopter arrived on scene shortly after midnight, and the second helicopter left the area at 12:52 a.m.

An update on the victims’ conditions was not available late Monday. Police said releasing any information about the victims could jeopardize their investigation.

Cory said he did not know when more details about the shootings would be released.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call Lawrence Police at (785) 832-7509 or the TIPS hot line at (785) 843-TIPS.

Comments

maxcrabb 5 years, 8 months ago

Never heard the shots, but definitely saw the response. Life flight showed up about 10 minutes after all the police/ambulance/fire truck. Hope everyone is ok.

Just a heads up, it seemed like the units headed toward the south end of the trailer park, entrance closest to the theaters. I think thats near the 400 and 500 numbered units.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

and, there's a whole lot more to this!

maybe another location, not sure.

I sincerely hope the victims recover from apparent GSW's.

this looks very bad.

I_Bejewel 5 years, 8 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says…

and, there's a whole lot more to this!

maybe another location, not sure.

Can you elaborate? We were wondering because we live near the Target, went to see what was going on. Saw one helicopter take off, another eventually take off. Odd thing was the fire and ambulance driving away from the scene with lights and sirens going as if heading to another scene.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

sorry IBJ, that's all I've got now. I ain't speculating.

right now, DGSO and KUPD are helping a lot.

God bless our first responders, and keep them safe.

AsherFusco 5 years, 8 months ago

bearded_gnome:

Based on what we heard of the scanner traffic, the call that came in at about 12:30 a.m. was for a medical alarm set off at Vermont Towers, 1101 Vermont.

Asher Fusco LJWorld.com

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

Nothing like this article to get my heart started early in the morning. All is fine out there, now. So glad it wasn't anyone I know.

bd 5 years, 8 months ago

Where these prople from Topeka or KC?????????????

roger_o_thornhill 5 years, 8 months ago

Time to stop blaming out of towners bd--and everyone else in this town who immediately blames someone from out of town for everything bad that happens here. Even if they were from out of town, there are lots of Chi-town folks here and folks from Big D--those are both more rough-and-tumble cities than the KC or Top-city (which I believe are really veiled references to something else...). It really doesn't matter anyway where the perps are from, what matters is where they commit their crimes. Unless there is a plan to wall in Lawrence and restrict movement in or out (and good luck with that plan in a college town) this blaming of Topeka and/or KC is completely useless.

Chrissy Neibarger 5 years, 8 months ago

I heard the sirens last night, but didn't really think about it. The sleeping pills musta kicked in, cuz i surely never hear the helicopters.

I hope everyone is alright!

roger_o_thornhill 5 years, 8 months ago

All of you that remember a "different" Lawrence--what was the population back then? Growing cities have growing problems.

zettapixel 5 years, 8 months ago

We could start a posse like the one in Arizona.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 8 months ago

So is it really better to fly someone to KC an hour after the police call then going to LMH in 15 minutes? Yea, I know the no trauma center thing but still....

igby 5 years, 8 months ago

There were meds/respons, at 12th and Tenn., and at 23rd and Haskell at this same hour. They were there for a long time.

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

No trauma center is a really big deal in a town this size with so many people here during the school season. How do we not have one? We are KU!

jeffds01 5 years, 8 months ago

we don't have a trauma center, because lawrence is too worried about round-about, half completed road projects, and funding everything that doesn't make sense. someone will push for a trama center once someone from lawrence is killed by someone from kansas city, because they couldn't reach kumed in a helicopter quick enough.

not to point fingers at the out of towners, but people please admit the majority of lawrence's brutal or bad crimes, stem from perps who are from outside of lawrence.

AlligatorMama 5 years, 8 months ago

yes it is MUCH better to fly someone to KC or even Stormont Vail in Topeka with a trauma center than send them to LMH. LMH isn't a trauma center and it can make the difference in whether somone survives or not. Then again, after working at both Stormont and LMH, I won't go to LMH for anything other than to have a baby.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 8 months ago

To send two seriously wounded people to the KU Med when they have lots of their stuff there in putting the heat on their staff. Lawrence needs to send more to Topeka as it is closer.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

Uh no Asher, if you guys missed that other location, you need to reprogram your scanner, you're missing at least one talkgroup.

from info above I'd guess other location was Red Bud or 23rd/haskell. officers were at 2nd location a long time, weapons, maybe more than one in the residence, etc.

it very definitely wasn't the medical alrm at vt towers where the officer got locked out for a bit.

there's more there Asher/jonathan. lots more.

sbward1 5 years, 8 months ago

wow, the video shows the action right in my backyard and I was so sound asleep I didn't hear anything... no gunshots, no lifeflight. There is a lot of crime in this neighborhood lately, some houses getting robbed, vehicles stolen. This area used to be safe.

jeffds01 5 years, 8 months ago

sbward1 - i wish i could sleep as soundly as you do. I would have been wide awake, and never been able to return to my rem sleep.

lucky man to sleep through all of this!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

oh yeah, 12th and Tenn another good possibility.
dunno if fire/medical was at the second scene.

yeah Smitty, that isn't the first time. somebody needs to change something. but very clearly vt towers couldn't have been the second scene.

second scene also got the CRT van.

suesay 5 years, 8 months ago

roger_o_thornhill (Anonymous) says…

All of you that remember a “different” Lawrence—what was the population back then? Growing cities have growing problems.

roger_o_thornhill (Anonymous) says…

Time to stop blaming out of towners bd—and everyone else in this town who immediately blames someone from out of town for everything bad that happens here. Even if they were from out of town, there are lots of Chi-town folks here and folks from Big D—those are both more rough-and-tumble cities than the KC or Top-city (which I believe are really veiled references to something else…). It really doesn't matter anyway where the perps are from, what matters is where they commit their crimes. Unless there is a plan to wall in Lawrence and restrict movement in or out (and good luck with that plan in a college town) this blaming of Topeka and/or KC is completely useless.

Nope.

I moved to Lincoln NE (a 3 college town!) a few years ago from Lawrence. The first couple of years I was homesick and wanted to move back; now I'm not so sure. Lincoln is growing, just as Lawrence is, and has a population closer to 300,000 people with a fraction of the crime of Lawrence. I'm not saying that KC and Topeka are the problem, but methinks that for being so small, there is a lot of crime in Larryville!

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

Not an out-of-towner this time. Looks like one of the local thugs tried to strong-arm one of the residents of the trailer park and got his butt handed to him. Not a first-offender either.

suesay 5 years, 8 months ago

please elaborate, grammaddy!

"Looks like one of the local thugs tried to strong-arm one of the residents of the trailer park and got his butt handed to him. Not a first-offender either."

hope he (or she) gets what he deserves. but who was the 2nd person to get shot? the resident?

bd 5 years, 8 months ago

suesay, I am an out of towner! I was hoping to get a rise out of some of the more smug Lawrence elite!

jeffds01 5 years, 8 months ago

grammaddy - where did you find this information?

i want the scoop?

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

My daughter lives right across from the trailer this happened at.She didn't know the names of the perps.

DRsmith 5 years, 8 months ago

Where is the additional information on this? Do shootings occur in Lawrence often enough now that there is no need for follow up information?

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

There were 3 perps, 2 were life-flighted to KC and the other went to LMH.Nobody living there was hurt, there was a small child asleep in the trailer at the time.

suesay 5 years, 8 months ago

omg. thank goodness the little one is ok, and yay for the resident! maybe that trio of sob's will think again about robbing someone!

suesay 5 years, 8 months ago

and speaking of little ones being ok, everyone please watch this.

it's pretty sad, i'll warn you. but i think it kinda relates to the story of last week with the girl who was drug from her apartment by the psycho ex.... her neighbors paid attention to what was going on and didn't keep it to themselves... if you know something like this is going on (especially to a baby in your family!), please don't keep it to yourself!

Steve Jacob 5 years, 8 months ago

Hinting it was a break in? For sure anyway it does not look like they are looking for the shooter. I am not big on guns, but for sure you have the right to defend yourself at home. Now if the person had some drug money in the house, it becomes fuzzy.

flyin_squirrel 5 years, 8 months ago

Police too worried with college students and MIP's. Need to get them focused on the hard core criminals. Econolodge will be the site of the next shooting...

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

I hope they put the perps UNDER the jail. That was a little too close to home(although I live way across town) for me. I'm just glad none of the neighbors were hurt. I guess they came at the resident with knives when he opened the front door. Just goes to show, NEVER take a knife to a gun fight.LOL

Sigmund 5 years, 8 months ago

flyin_squirrel (Anonymous) says… "Police too worried with college students and MIP's. Need to get them focused on the hard core criminals. Econolodge will be the site of the next shooting…"

They can do both "hardcore" shootings, stabbings at trailer parks and the "softcore" MIP, DUI, OUI, assualts, batteries, and rapes up at KU.

jeffds01 5 years, 8 months ago

thanks grammaddy, your insight is much apperciated.....

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

I'd like to thank maxcrabb for his post letting me know that I needed to check on my daughter and granddaughter earlier this morning. Also, my knowledge of this incident is second-hand from a group of traumatized neighbors, so if the facts aren't exactly as I posted, I apologize and hope I haven't offended anyone.

costello 5 years, 8 months ago

"I guess they came at the resident with knives when he opened the front door."

So the resident answered the door with a gun in his or her hand?

zettapixel 5 years, 8 months ago

I'd answer the door with a gun in my hand if someone came knocking at 11:40pm.

costello 5 years, 8 months ago

"I'd answer the door with a gun in my hand if someone came knocking at 11:40pm."

I probably just wouldn't answer the door.

cjb 5 years, 8 months ago

You have a right to defend yourself. It's too bad when you are forced to. When they went to the door they changed peoples lives. That was their choice.

larrytdog 5 years, 8 months ago

Smitty, it is in the 500 section on the west side of the park.

kendall1 5 years, 8 months ago

For the residents that live in easy living mobile home park the reason that you didnt hear seirns is because once a rescure vechile enters in to the park they are to shut off them. As for why they have to be shut off i am not sure. I live in the park and really i wish that i would have heard them because that was just too close to home.

Reuben Turner 5 years, 8 months ago

are we starting to be ghetto and ridiculous too? i hope that everyone is okay. and i hope that get the jokers that did the shooting. and maybe lock them up whom are hurt if it was some illegal stuff going down. i likes justice for all.

Blackdragonfly 5 years, 8 months ago

I know both parties in this situation...the baby is fine as are the owners of the trailer. One of the perps in now stable for the moment. Does anyone know anything about a disorderly conduct charge on another resident the same night?

Blackdragonfly 5 years, 8 months ago

grammaddy most of your information is correct.

Reuben Turner 5 years, 8 months ago

i just heard that them was some of my folks and i hope that they doing good. and when the police find out why this happened i still hope that justice prevails; for them and the ones that shoot them.

KEITHMILES05 5 years, 8 months ago

There is very little difference between Level I and Level II trauma centers. Trust me, I know.

puzzlegirl 5 years, 8 months ago

srj says: "I am not big on guns, but for sure you have the right to defend yourself at home. Now if the person had some drug money in the house, it becomes fuzzy."
I just wanted to say that you would not necessarily hear about it in the news even if they did have drug money in the house. If you think back to the June 8th shooting last year, there was never mention of drugs or drug money in the news (and the family vehemently denied the kid or his brother were drug dealers in the comment section), even though the boy's brother was charged a few days later with the large amounts of drugs that were found in the house!

redneck 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm not sure who moved into this neighborhood lately, but I had a cd changer stolen out of my vehicle last weekend, and the cops don't act like they really care. They would only do a report over the phone. In most towns, they come to you're location to take a report. This used to be a good neighborhood, but now with this shooting I'm not sure if any neighborhoods are totally safe. I live north of target, and the cops told me that this area has never had any problems before. I will keep my 9mm loaded and my door locked. If i have to, I will shoot any sob who tries to harm me. I'm getting real sick of this crap in Lawrence.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 8 months ago

Reuben Turner 5 years, 8 months ago

redneck; you sound really scared. i don't think that we have got to k.c. level, where folks just do random shootings. it's almost certain that thems folks were meant targets and got shot for a reason.

Hoots 5 years, 8 months ago

I liked the Lawrence of old too but we didn't have things like meth and crack back then. Hard drugs have changed this whole country.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

OMG, Multi I can't believe it! you cited foxnews! you must immediately request that that post be removed, or face the consequences, which might include but not be limited to: being shipped to a reeducation camp; having to put a "hope and change" bumpersticker on your car; etc.

that's one heckuva brawl Multi!
suppose anybody was left who could eat a klondike bar afterwards?

XEPCT 5 years, 7 months ago

I know you're a little old Marion, but "smoked" means murdered (by way of firearm) and thus far, no one has died.

rousseau108 5 years, 7 months ago

Hmm, you had a CD changer stolen out of your car, and the cops didn't drop everything they were doing and mount a full scale investigation and manhunt! Inconceivable!! Oh wait, maybe because they happen all the time and, not like on CSI, there usually isn't any evidence to go on. PLus, it seems they're pretty busy these days with shootings, stabbings, rapes, robberies, etc. This is what happens when you have 10 cops working the streets in a city of over 100K people--they obviously have to prioritize and use their limited resources the best they can.

grammaddy 5 years, 7 months ago

They should have started worrying about that a long time ago. It's been around since my kids were teens. They are all 30+ now.

igby 5 years, 7 months ago

Drugs, guns, money and Ho's!

Not is any specific order, however, the four evils of Lawrence.

What is it?

Liberals in government!

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 7 months ago

"Redneck, the cops usually take those kind of reports over the phone because there aren't enough cops to respond in person to every minor incident."

I call BS on this one, MichaelJ (and you too as well rousseau). Why? Because my two adult daughters were charged with an "excessive noise" complaint one early evening in my own home! At the time the cop showed up at my front door with the complaint, I was asleep in the front bedroom because I was working night shift at the time (and unaware the police had even showed up). There were two small children sitting quietly in front of the TV watching the Disney Channel. The daughters were both involved in cooking dinner. The police officer came into my living room, SAW this activity and STILL issued the summons on the sole basis of an anonymous complaint. Both daughters fought the charge and refused to just pay the fine. They showed up for court and the charges were dropped. Now, if the cops can "create" criminal activity it seems to me they can show up for somebody's stolen property. But who knows, when it happened maybe it was a slow night for the police and it had the potential to put some money in the city's coffers. Can't do that with a stolen CD changer.

flyin_squirrel 5 years, 7 months ago

Sigmund,

Angel Gillaspie 5 years, 7 months ago

Redneck, did you leave your car unlocked? I'd just call that bad luck, and not a sufficient reason for a law enforcement officer to make a house call. And next time, please don't use "you're" when you mean "your." Just sayin'.

Sigmund 5 years, 7 months ago

flyin_squirrel (Anonymous) says… "Sigmund, You are right, you can do both hard core crime and minor crime, but our department chooses to not. Twelve to fourteen officers on patrol at night, and 6 are in college bars checking for minors (and don't even visit Club 821)."

As far as I can tell LPD does all the above, unless you know of some hard core crimes that are being reported but that are being ignored? I bet if you look more closely at those officers in the bars (don't stare at them or they might card you) they have microphones connected with a cord to a little box on their belt. It is my understanding that those are "walkie-talkies" and if they are needed for more hardcore crimes something called a "dispatcher" can talk to them using something called "two-way communications." Some even have those new cell phone contraptions which work in much the same way.

But if you are suggesting Lawrence needs to hire more officers and/or detectives I agree but we are kind of tight on the budget, or so Chad Lawhorn PR Spokesperson for the City Commission would lead us to believe. So I guess the question you have to ask yourself is not "do you feel lucky" but what other services should we cut, or what taxes we should raise, to pay their salaries and benefits with? My favorite answer to that is the empTy, but lets leave that for now.

As for property crime priorities, the LPD puts that just below helping kittens out of trees, which is so dangerous their insurance policy/carrier won't allow them to do. The attitude seems to be "Your roommate or friends ripped you off, that is what insurance is for. You do have insurance don't you?" which is the truth 99% of the time. No insurance, no problem. Just head over to Yellowhouse and buy your stuff back with the money you saved from not paying premiums.

On a somewhat related note, I went to see "Inglourious Basterds" this weekend only to find two Milspec rent-a-cop's in black T-shirts carrying what looked for all the world like Glock 9mm's on their hips. Does Southwind really need armed security to keep people from sneaking in and since when does Milspec hire off duty officers?

kendall1 5 years, 7 months ago

has anyone heard how the "perps" are doing? What about the home owner? how is he/ she taking the fact that there was two perps shoot in their yard.

BlackVelvet 5 years, 7 months ago

cait48,

In the case of a property crime, and if there are no suspects still in the area, LPD will generally not send an officer to the scene but will instead take a report over the phone. If the caller insists that an officer come to the scene, they will usually send one but it may take awhile for them to have one available. There is a lot going on in the city and they can't always send someone to a crime that is not in progress. They usually don't pick and choose which incidents they investigate. In the case of a noise disturbance call, if the complaining party indicates the problem is ongoing, an officer responds and will judge for him/her self when they arrive if they feel the noise is indeed excessive. That's why they would issue a citation. If they did not hear any loud noises, there would be no need to, as they could not testify in court if they felt the noise was indeed excessive. Lots of people have told LPD what they feel is priority. Minors in bars is one. Speeders is one. There are only so many cops in this town. They can't be everywhere at one time. Sign of for the citizen's academy and you will learn a lot about Law Enforcement work that you didn't already know.

Quigly 5 years, 7 months ago

Ya know, it is funny how pompous and conceited some of you Lawrence(are you really from Lawrence or did you move here from that hole Johnson County?) people are. To always think that when something horrible goes down it is some one from out of town. Just like any city in this entire country there are going to be outsiders committing crimes. But what makes you think that your poop don't smell? From what I have seem in the past year, there are plenty of Lawrence people committing horrible crimes WITHIN their own city. I love Lawrence. I think it is a great town. There was a time I remember when the streets were way much safer than Topeka and KC. I am old enough to remember when Topeka was a nice town. Get off of your self righteous high stands and quit blaming some where else for YOUR problems. No one is safe ANYWHERE from idiots and criminals.

Keith 5 years, 7 months ago

"igby (Anonymous) says… Drugs, guns, money and Ho's! Not is any specific order, however, the four evils of Lawrence. The fifth element is what makes all of the above listed evils work. This element is what draws all the criminals here too Lawrence. What is it? Liberals in government!"

No, no, the Fifth Element is Milla Jovavich. That makes at least as much sense as your asinine assertion that Liberals in Govt. cause every evil known today.

Danimal 5 years, 7 months ago

I think that now might be a good time to escape Lawrence to the relative safety of Kansas City.

Ashley White 5 years, 7 months ago

When are they going to get more patrolling around the park? That's their problem these days. They think that since not a lot of 'excitement' happens in the park then nothing will happen. What are they going to say or do when somebody winds up dead or missing? Blame the residents of the trailer park? No. They need to start doing survellience. And they need to start now.

Ashley White 5 years, 7 months ago

In response to hillbilly_jim's comment. I would have to agree. There has been gang activity for quite some time now. But it hasn't gone this far. When is the city of lawrence going to start taking action before the residents of Lawrence start taking action themselves?

Ashley White 5 years, 7 months ago

And another thing. In the that house, there is a young boy in there barely old enough to speak but old enough to walk. I know the people who live/lived in that trailer. I don't like/accept of this activity. This is ridiculous. What would the police have done if the baby was killed? Would they feel sympathy or would they just let it roll off their backs? I don't know...Why don't we ask them?

BlackVelvet 5 years, 7 months ago

"But it hasn't gone this far. When is the city of lawrence going to start taking action before the residents of Lawrence start taking action themselves?"

Well awhite90, what would you have LPD do ? If they drove up and beat the crap out of any gang bangers or suspected gang bangers they saw (as SOME police departments in this country do) the folks in THIS TOWN would not stand for it. All the "touchy feely" folks in this town have pretty much set the standards. Treat everyone with kid gloves because it's not their fault...they're all a product of their environment. It's somehow society's fault. I've lived in this town more than 50 years and I've heard these sentiments from some (KU) lawrencians. So...what do you want LPD to do? Why don't you become City Manager and direct the Police department to crack the whip!

Amy Heeter 5 years, 7 months ago

One of the brothers on life support and the other has gone back to surgery.

When the police release names this forum is going to light up.

MothersHeart 5 years, 7 months ago

It would be nice to know that some people here would be concerned with prayers and encouraging words towards the family members who are watching their loved ones on life support systems instead of trying to figure who is from what city n what city is truely responsible for the crime when the crime was committed in the trailor park IN LAWRENCE KANSAS BY LAWRENCE KANSAS RESIDENTS!! What really bugs me is that the people involded with the incident that live INSIDE this trailor have yet to be arrested!!! They did the horrible crime of trying to take another persons life not just one but two people are still fighting for their life while the ones who did this are enjoying their freedom!! How in america can u viciously attack two UNARMED people and not SUFFER the consequence of their actions??? Heck in larger cities you are arrested on the first call of volience while the cops do their investagations. Here in Lawrence you get to walk free!!! Too many people know what has happened but wait till the two are off of life support and they can say their side to the story!!! Ask me how I know....I am one of the mothers of these boys who was shot not once but several times over!!!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

so Mothersheart, you're saying your little angel and his companion did not rush the door with knives and the residents defended themselves--not? you base this on what?

LPD is being very very mum on this. my original post stands, something very bad happened here.

MichaelJ et al, regarding the noise ordinance calls...would you please put in for a change: that an officer can initiate noise complaint without the call of a complaining party. this is most applicable to cars loud with music, motorcycles designed to be very loud. if a call is made to complain, the vehicle is gone before the officer arrives.
thus, the ordinance is useless regarding loud vehicles. but with this change an officer observing a loud vehicle could stop and ticket it on the spot.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 7 months ago

now, we just had a fight with pipes at the Grenada.
one ran east.

lkat 5 years, 7 months ago

The reason why the owners of the trailer haven't been arrested is because it was not them that did the shooting. The owners weren't there when it happened. these wannabe gangsters used a little 12 year old kid to get the babysitter out onto the porch, conversed with him for a bit, then pulled a huge knife trying to rob him and what was in the trailer. There was a child inside and the babysitter did what he had to do to protect the child.

grammaddy 5 years, 7 months ago

Ikat, I knew this would happen. Poor perps, they are on life-support, how could someone do this to my cousin,uncle brother, baby-daddy,etc. Maybe if someone had raised them right, this would not have happened. I'm sorry for the pain this brings the family, but this is a choice THEY made and now they must live with the consequences. Show your kids a little "tough love" once in a while instead of going to bat for them on every issue. Teach your children that there are consequences for their actions.

lkat 5 years, 7 months ago

when there's hoodlums runnin the street, ya it does.

MothersHeart 5 years, 7 months ago

IF my child is in the wrong and is trying to hurt some one they have the right to defend themselves BUT as you all speculate n sit in judgement there are more facts to the case then you know...more people did the violent act of so called "self defense" not just the so called baby sitter. BUT when does shooting someone 5 TIMES in the chest considered self-defense??? OR even running them down while shooting them in the back??? Or even while they lay bleeding you come up and stomp their face in???? I was always taught to take their legs out or arms. to detain the person till the law got there to make the arrests. If my "angel" is guilty he should be responsible for his crimes as well as the people involved in trying to play that they were soooo innocent....

krystalk 5 years, 7 months ago

On behalf of the boys' friends we all would like to say we are praying for both of them. We know they can make it through, they just need all the support they can get. I wish I could be there beside LG and the other boy involved. But since I can not, I am here praying for them and their family. Forget all of the hatred presented in the previous comments, as long as you know that people that matter the most are here behind them, everything will be ok. They always say everything happens for a reason and as hard as it is, we have to look at the positive side, because dwelling on the negative is not going to make either one of the boys better. Thank you and know we are here for you.

been_there 5 years, 7 months ago

Seems krystalk only comes on to comment to defend people like this, interesting.

Sigmund 5 years, 7 months ago

krystalk (Anonymous) says… "They always say everything happens for a reason and as hard as it is, we have to look at the positive side, because dwelling on the negative is not going to make either one of the boys better."

I too look at the bright side of five rounds in the chest. On the positive side that is a couple of wannabe, gonnabe, banger prankstas less to worry about. So how does it feel to be a gangsta? Damn good I hope?

grammaddy 5 years, 7 months ago

If you had come home to find out your babysitter had just shot someone trying to rob your home with your baby inside wouldn't you want to beat the crap out of him, too? I know I would want o stomp a large mudhole where his face used to be. Such are the consequences for a home invasion. Did you not teach him that?

Christine Pennewell Davis 5 years, 7 months ago

well if I came home and found the babysitter gone I stomp their head also.

RooRoo 5 years, 7 months ago

I know the babysitter and the baby. I am glad the babysitter protected the house the way he did, If he wouldn't have there is a good chance he would have gotten stabbed to death and who knows what those scum bags would have done to that sweet little baby who smiles at everyone that walks through the door. I hope that the criminals serve the time the should and never do anything like this again. They need to be taken off the streets for sure, who knows who's family could be next if they're not. =[

Clickker 5 years, 7 months ago

LG huh? and possibly the other kid was his bruthuh?

kendall1 5 years, 7 months ago

as for whoever said that with your child being on life support why are you not at the hospital with him? when your child is in the hospital you still have time to get on and post things about what is going on. there is not a whole lot the mothers of the boys can be doing other then sitting there and yeah it does get old. so really the mother could be at the hospital with him and she could still be able to read and have the time to post on here. Im sure the mother has other responsibilities in her life and would rather sit by their side at all times but when you have a job and other children you have to find time for everyone.

As for feeling sorry for the families I do. Really i feel sorry for both parties that were involved in this. No the person that did the shooting should not have shot that many times. but as for the people that got shot they should not have done what they did in the first place. Reguardless of the situation there are better ways to resolve issues that do not involve violence.

kayla1 5 years, 7 months ago

All of you are so quick to judge a book by its cover when the truth of the matter is you know little of the situation or about the people involved. Honestly if you were the mother, father, grandparents, siblings or friends of one of these perps I think you would be hurt by what all these people are saying about this person in your life, as if they aren't going through enough pain of knowing if their son is going to make it or not. And i'm not saying that they didn't do wrong on their part, because they did, they made a horrible decision and now are going to have consequences BUT that doesn't mean the home owner and baby-sitter didn't do wrong either. If somebody is robbing your house yes you have the right to protect yourself, your belongings, and others in your home but considering the situation and the information that i know of it and the people involved i don't think you have to take it that far as to shot somebody a few times and then as they are trying to get away you follow them and continue shooting them until they fall to the ground and THEN insist on beating their face in.

Well after all of this i pray for everybody involved and that everybody makes it out of this with their lives, also may justice be served.

Clickker (Anonymous) says… "LG huh? and possibly the other kid was his bruthuh?"

she was refering to him as LG because those are his initials and considering the police obviously haven't given names yet for a reason maybe you can understand that and not be so stereotypical.

krystalk 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't come here to defend that "gangstas" Which who BTW are not "gangstas" but thanks for your insight. Your words mean nothing. I would do the same thing as the babysitter to a certain extent. Even if the babysitter was watching MY baby I still do not see it right to continue shooting... yes he could have got stabbed but he didn't... ok, so maybe unloading a round could be seen as ok, but then continuing to shoot and beat the crap out of someone who is running away is NOT OK! there is nothing anyone can say to make it seem like the baby sitter was right by doing that. You shot him, Ok? He got it... he was down, not getting up, no longer fighting.

I'm not here to defend either side more than the other, I am here to express support for the families suffering. Just because I believe one family is going through a bit more than the other doesn't mean you can be a bunch of condescending jerks and place blame solely on one side. 98% of you do not know the whole story. Both sides were in the wrong, yes one side more than the other, but it doesn't mean they should be talked down on for a mistake made. We all make mistakes, and we all get talked into things sometimes, maybe they are not as serious as this one, but peer pressure is a bth.

Just_some_info 5 years, 7 months ago

" BUT when does shooting someone 5 TIMES in the chest considered self-defense??? " A Lawrence resident was found not guilty in Washington state for shooting an unarmed man, I believe 11 times, and it was ruled self-defense. The shooter had a long violent history including attempted murder prior to the shooting.

grammaddy 5 years, 7 months ago

Can anyone explain to me how the homeowner OR the babysitter were wrong in protecting themselves?.Krystalk and kayl 1 lost me on that one. Absolutely ridiculous. I think we are seeing the inside of the thug mindset.

krystalk 5 years, 7 months ago

I never said the babysitter was in the wrong. He just went to far.

grammaddy 5 years, 7 months ago

" I never said the babysitter was in the wrong. He just went too far." Tell me just exactly how far would you go to protect the property and the life that was left with you to protect. It wasn't the babysitter who stomped the guy anyway, it was the child's father. I can't blame him, either.

krystalk 5 years, 7 months ago

I have reached adulthood and maturity, I'm not fighting with you. I am stating an opinion just like everyone else. Think what you want. And it's be nice if we could leave Casey out of this conversation please. Thank you.

krystalk 5 years, 7 months ago

Why does your opinion mean anything? And I didn't hang out with Casey very much at all, I hadn't seen him for about 1 1/2 before he died. I only know one person involved in this case and just because I know someone does not mean we hang out, or that were friends. Your assumptions are false. You don't have to be best friends with people to know the situation at hand. Apparently, you don't even have to know the truth to act like you know anything either, it has been proven in several comments.

grammaddy 5 years, 7 months ago

Maybe Mothersheart should have spent less time at the Crosstown tavern and more time with her boy.

krystalk 5 years, 7 months ago

No really if we are talking about the same Casey, No, I did not see him since the LHS Homecoming parade in 11th grade..... that was what... August/Sept, 2007?

kayla1 5 years, 7 months ago

I don't believe anywhere in my post it said that I think it's wrong to protect yourself or home. I fully stand by the fact that you have the right to do such things. But given the situation they are both to blame. Neither side is god sent angels who lead the perfect life, they were both in the same stuff , did the same stuff, affilated with the same people, knew eachother, and have even kicked it before. So in all actuality both parties are "scum" as you would say.