Archive for Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Obama wins presidency

November 4, 2008, 10:02 p.m. Updated November 4, 2008, 11:57 p.m.

What's on voters' minds?

Voters throughout Douglas County share their Election Day thoughts.

Election 2008

In-depth coverage of the candidates and the issues, all leading up to the Aug. 5 primary and the Nov. 4 general election.

Reader poll
Which election result are you most pleased about?

or See the results without voting

-->
-->
Reader poll
Which election result are you most disappointed about?

or See the results without voting

-->
-->
Reader poll
In general, were you happy with Tuesday's election results?

or See the results without voting

-->
-->

— (Chicago Tribune) - Streaming into an unparalleled moment in history, tens of thousands lit up Grant Park with a display of Election Night electricity not seen in generations. Under crystal skies and a crescent moon, they came from across the country and around the world, stood shoulder-to-shoulder and cheered joyously for President-elect Barack Obama, each drawn for reasons as diverse as the faces around them.

"The energy is shifting," said Linda Robb, a white woman from Buffalo Grove who burst into tears as Obama won. "There is a transformational shift happening - consciousness is being raised."

"My father had to ride on the back of the bus," said Page Cooper, a commodities broker from the West Side. "Now look at where we are."

Paul Reinhardt, a white Detroit resident, sat along the periphery of the pandemonium with his four adopted children, who are all black: "One day, they will look back and say they were here in Grant Park when the first African-American became president of the United States. To me, that means anything is possible."

Rukaya Abdallah, 13, came from River Forest with her mother. She looked at the people around her, and something she heard on television during the long campaign suddenly registered.

"Different cultures," she said. "Everyone's coming together."

They were never more together than when official word came that Obama would become the 44th president of the United States. A deafening cheer erupted from the crowd - a frenetic, grinning, often teary-eyed mix of whites and blacks and Latinos and Asians. In an homage to the Obama campaign's rallying cry of "Yes, we can!" the more than 150,000 revelers thrust their fists in the air and chanted "Yes, we did! Yes, we did!"

Marcie Rogers began to weep uncontrollably and shriek, "Thank you, Lord!"

"I never thought I would live to see a black president," she said, holding a tissue to her eyes. "I've lived through segregation."

Outside the park, cars on Michigan Avenue honked their horns, the noise blending with whoops and whistles from the sidewalks to form a victorious cacophony.

Katrina Oroye strolled through the chaos with her 6-year-old son, BaBa Tunde. "I know that I can tell him that he can be anything that he wants to," she said.

Clutching his mother's hand, the boy took her words to heart.

"I want to be a better person," he said. "I want to be president."

The only quiet moments of the evening came when Obama took the stage about 11 p.m., his voice echoing across the park as the swollen crowd looked on with rapt attention.

Just before Obama walked out, Allan Landau, a 53-year-old from the River West neighborhood, reflected on the presidential campaign he had helped as a volunteer on the streets of Chicago. Born in Canada, Landau is not yet a U.S. citizen and was unable to vote. But that didn't take away from the emotion of the moment.

"This might be the happiest day of my life," he said. "This might be the most important day in American history."

Throughout the evening, Michigan Avenue bustled with crowds like New Year's Eve. Some people were bound for the tickets-only section of Grant Park to see Obama live. Others headed toward the Jumbotrons, and some chose to simply wander the sidewalk soaking in the scene.

Amanda Geppert of Bucktown walked by the park on her way to watch election results with friends. She snapped pictures as she passed.

"I want to get photos that show a sense of the overall feeling here, the moments that make this night," she said, noting plans to e-mail the photos to friends across the country. "This is a night I'm proud to be a Chicagoan."

The signs that something special was happening were everywhere, from the unseasonably warm temperatures to the good-natured mood of the revelers.

To the north of the park, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Tower was lit up to read "USA," while just west of there the Smurfit-Stone Building declared "Vote 2008" on its slanted diamond roof.

"I've never been to anything like this before in my life. And I don't think I ever will again," said Aurora native Julian West, 30. "It's a lot of brotherhood and sisterhood. Solidarity is happening here."

Emblematic of the lengths some took to attend the rally, Jonathan Metzl drove straight to Chicago from the University of Michigan campus after teaching a class Tuesday.

He spoke about how Obama's story reinforces some of the lessons from his past.

"My father came from Europe, escaped from Nazis. America has always been a refuge, there was a sense we are stronger because of our diversity," Metzl said. "You stand in this crowd today, and you realize that message is still alive."

Cheering, screaming and weeping with joy, an estimated 50,000 Barack Obama supporters welcomed his election Tuesday night in a delirious victory celebration in the senator's hometown.

Many had crammed into Grant Park to be a part of something that would be remembered for generations.

"I want her to be able to tell her children when history was made, she was there," said Alnita Tillman, 50, who kept her 16-year-old daughter, Raven, out of school so they could be at the park by 8 a.m., more than 10 hours before the gates opened.

The crowd went wild with joy as the news that Obama would be the nation's first black president flashed across jumbo TV screens in the park where Obama was to speak later that night. Many held both hands high up in the air, waved American flags, jumped up and down and cheered.

As Obama left his Hyde Park home in a motorcade, heading for the festivities, residents rushed out of their homes and lined the streets to wave, clap and cheer.

The downtown Chicago park - where police fought anti-war protesters during the turbulent 1968 Democratic convention - was transformed on an unseasonably balmy night by white tents and a stage lined with American flags and hung with red, white and blue bunting.

Lighted windows in the skyscrapers lining the park added to the festive atmosphere, spelling out "USA" and "Vote 2008."

The crowd erupted in cheers each time an Obama victory was announced in another state.

The rally felt like a cross between an outdoor rock concert and a big family outing. Many people wore Obama T-shirts and buttons and ate pizza. By 9 p.m. several babies slept on their mothers' chests. Other children snoozed in strollers.

In the crowd was Lisa Boon, 42, of Chicago, who said she burst into tears earlier in the day pondering what an Obama victory would mean.

Boon said her father was the cousin of Emmett Till, a 14-year-old black Chicagoan who was abducted and killed in Mississippi in 1955, purportedly for whistling at a white woman.

"I was thinking of all the things done to Emmett and injustices to black people," she said. "This is amazing, simply amazing."

Stephanie Smith, 27, and her husband flew in from Nashville, Tenn., and staked out a spot on the sidewalk with folding chairs and a box of doughnuts early in the morning.

Even without tickets, Smith said it would be worth it to be standing in the park to hear the words, "Our next President of the United States is Barack Obama."

Comments

cellogrl 6 years, 10 months ago

All I can say is... that ... was... awesome! I'm so frickin' excited!!!

teachandlearn 6 years, 10 months ago

What a victory for America! I am so glad that I have got to be a part of this moment and the two of my children are old enough to understand what it means!

Boeing 6 years, 10 months ago

Congrats. Make us proud!But can the Obama people on TV stop shouting "Yes We Can"? It makes them sound like idiots..."Yes We Did" would be the correct tense now...

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Agnostick (Anonymous) says: "I'd also agree with your financial solutions, especially throwing the Wall Street crooks in jail."But not those in government of both political parties? Why not?

Confrontation 6 years, 10 months ago

Thanks to Dubya for making this an easy path for Obama! McSame, Stepford Wife, Bimbo Palin, and her moron husband, are all pathetic and they never had a chance. Thanks to racist jerks like Tom who fueled the fire and got the intelligent people to vote for Obama.

ryknow1976 6 years, 10 months ago

The air of revolution has finally filled our lungs.

victoria_noire 6 years, 10 months ago

Topflight, here's something else for you:http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/stance.aspAt least go to Google and try to find the answers yourself.

hawklet21 6 years, 10 months ago

Will the person(s) who deleted my comment please step forward? I am just curious as he!! now.

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Confrontation (Anonymous) says: "...and got the intelligent people to vote for Obama."Just curious, Confrontation - is this one of those folks you refer to as the "intelligent people?""[beavis voice]:.uh:.huh:huh:.."- unpalinized

blakus 6 years, 10 months ago

Good bye fear and old-guard rhetoric; helllloooooooo reason!

AjiDeGallina 6 years, 10 months ago

I always suspected Marion would be among the first to turn his back on his country, I always told you he was no patriot.

Rackhouse 6 years, 10 months ago

It truly is a great day to be an American. I can not express how proud I am of this country right now.President Obama, rest up, you have a lot of work to do to to fix the wounds that have been created within this country by those who do not need to be named.I don't pray often but will tonight.

Mike Blur 6 years, 10 months ago

Simply awesome.What's also good news is that McCain is also winning Kansas "only" 55-43 so far. Projections over the past few weeks had McCain showing in the low to mid 60s.

danielsan_10 6 years, 10 months ago

chargdup 6 years, 10 months ago

President Obama, you have a big mess to clean up.How can I help?

shutnmdown 6 years, 10 months ago

i AM VERY PROUD OF YOU, EVEN THOUGH WE HAD SOME CRAZY PEOPLE VOTING FOR THE OTHER GUY. hE'S NOW DOING TO THE SPEAK OF SHAME....yOU GO oBAMA..mCCAIN SAID "THE FAILURE IS MINE"....

danielsan_10 6 years, 10 months ago

nobama_08...i'm with you and magino_saurus...how can we expect someone with no leadership experience to lead us out of this abysmal disaster we are in?!

Scott Drummond 6 years, 10 months ago

"(before you throw around words like landslide too much, scott, I'm not too sure 51-48% means landslide "As I have stated numerous times in this long, long campaign, national horserace numbers do not matter. Obama has won in an electoral landslide & that is the measure to which I referred.

Mangino_saurus 6 years, 10 months ago

Now I will be really impressed if Obama wore to raise the kind of funds he used to buy the Presidency to pay of the national debt!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

"Someday he will be at an international gathering, and when your own president does not appear to give a damn about his anthem,"Jeez, is that your greatest concern? His reaction to an olde English drinking song?

topflight 6 years, 10 months ago

Is that what you feel about your nation? Thanks for voting.

Christine Anderson 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh my-I did NOT want this. However, I can say one positive thing regarding Obama's victory. Somehow, I think that his grandmother will still "know" her grandson won.

zbarf 6 years, 10 months ago

wake up...you have unleashed the three headed monster

topflight 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey, imagine that, OPRAH. Hope he thanks her.

jeahle 6 years, 10 months ago

Yes we just DID. I bet the LJWorld is regretting their endorsement of McCain right about now ...

JHOK32 6 years, 10 months ago

To Mr. Bush: Thank God & Greyhound you're gone !!!!!!

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

I kind of wonder what the race would have been like if McCain had not picked Palin, and if it would have made any difference in the results

Daytrader23 6 years, 10 months ago

Headline from The Sun, a British newspaper says it all."One Giant Leap For Mankind"The world celebrates while you wing nuts crawl back into your caves. LOL

Mangino_saurus 6 years, 10 months ago

Agnostic - just a thought of mine, Palin would make a hot Wonder Women! Do you agree?

hawklet21 6 years, 10 months ago

I have no idea why my comment was deleted. Let's try this again...OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tunahelper 6 years, 10 months ago

Terrorists will attack the United States within 6 months of omaba taking office. omaba will declare martial law. iran will attack US troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Gasoline will sell at $8.00 per gallon. God help us.

rizlosurslap 6 years, 10 months ago

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

It's official, America no longer racist. We will be much much poorer, but not racist!

Mangino_saurus 6 years, 10 months ago

What a terrible, terrible mistake. I can't believe how blind everyone is. Truly an upsetting day.

shutnmdown 6 years, 10 months ago

I can proudly say, I will no longer call it the "UNITED SNAKES OF AMERICA"I WILL PROUDLY SAY "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA"

denak 6 years, 10 months ago

I am very proud of my country today. To think that we have gone from segregation to an African American man in the White House in roughly 50 years is nothing short of a miracle and is testement to our great country. Dena

antney 6 years, 10 months ago

This is the begining of a new era.... I'm so excited for America

angeleyes 6 years, 10 months ago

wtg!!!obama!! May you bring my son home from iraqi real soon. he going on almost 2 years this next summer when he get home. Iam trustin you. mcain your God commercial is why i changed my replublican vote demacrat. thank you for showing me how ignorant you really and intruely are.You are by no means God nor can you judge obama in that way. once again congrats dem. all the way. for me now on.

coneflower 6 years, 10 months ago

Now the real work begins. Obama inherits a broken, bankrupt country. But we are America and we will rise again. I'm very proud of us tonight.

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Wendy magillicutty 6 years, 10 months ago

THANK YOU United States of America for voting with hope instead of fear!

jonas_opines 6 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, Mr. Obama. I think I'm gonna take a day's vacation or so from this place until things come down. The doomcrying and the gloating are likely gonna get hard to bear for a bit.

rlauram 6 years, 10 months ago

Way to go !!!! Now let's get this mess cleaned up.

Scott Drummond 6 years, 10 months ago

I told you so!!!!!!!!!! In a landslide!!!!This is MY country and I got it back tonight.Come on up for the rising!!!!!!

jonas_opines 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh, one more thing.Don't come crying to me when the Resurrected Hitler and the Domo-kuns come. I tried to warn you.

vhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

It was amazing to be able to vote, I am so proud. Congratulations President Obama.

1029 6 years, 10 months ago

Never saw this coming. Unbelievable.

Rackhouse 6 years, 10 months ago

Everyone go to bed, get a good nights sleep, wake up tomorrow and ask yourself; how can I help make this a better country?If you can't do this, then ask yourself; why don't I want a better country?President elect Obama will need a lot of support to help turn things around. The one thing you can do is contact your representatives in congress who will need to buy into his message of change to do just that, help change things. Without the help of congress, unfortunately, no change will happen.

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations to our new president. I sincerely hope everyone gets what they asked for. It is unquestionable that a McCain win would have put more money in my pocket (and no, I don't make over $250K, but McCain's tax credit for healthcare would have been a huge savings for me). But there were too many other issues that people wanted change on, and the voters have spoken (before you throw around words like landslide too much, scott, I'm not too sure 51-48% means landslide - strange how nobody's complaining about the electoral college system now).

topflight 6 years, 10 months ago

I will offer my congratulations because I am a proud american, but I am truly disappointed. I just have one question that I would like anyone to answer for me. I dont mean this question to anger anyone, but as an american, it truly bothers me. Why wont Obama cover his heart with his hand when the National Anthem is played? That just seems disrespectful. Answers please.

RogueThrill 6 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, sir. Do your best and don't let us down.

coneflower 6 years, 10 months ago

topflight:The negative campaign McCain ran is over. Let it go.

classclown 6 years, 10 months ago

slang4d 6 years, 10 months ago

"There will be no change"No, it will not change so long as people like you promote divisiveness. Please go off worship at your Ron Paul shrine and let us celebrate.

Mangino_saurus 6 years, 10 months ago

I was hoping the T would fail, myself and several others who have not been brain washed by Obama's non-sense where hoping to get a good deal on a used bus so we could head to Canada for the next 4 years! Obama's a fake - just listen to his pathetic speech - blah, blah, blah.

slang4d 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow, for the first time in eight years, I'm not ashamed to be an American. It's about time! Yay!

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't let the door hit ya, W...I'm so happy this morning. This is a historic, beautiful day. Hope reigns, liberty will ring again, and we finally have a president I can be proud of.God bless America indeed.

Rackhouse 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't know but I do know this, it takes more than symbolism to prove patriotism. When at football games, I never put my hand over my heart, don't see the need. And before you say a word, I and my wife spent eight years in the military serving this great country of ours. That's the symbolism I fall back on and will put it up against anyone's hand-over-heart symbolism any day of the week.

AjiDeGallina 6 years, 10 months ago

Marion Lynn (Marion Lynn) says:I'm so confused!---------------------------I will let Marion speak for himself.Today is a great day in history, the people have spoken, and they have spoken loud and clear. I have always been a proud American, but today I have regained a lost hope for our future.

roger_o_thornhill 6 years, 10 months ago

"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over."as true when Gerald Ford said it the first time!

akt2 6 years, 10 months ago

Kansas went to McCain. We will just regroup and get ready for 2012. Four years isn't that long.

Confrontation 6 years, 10 months ago

It's so great to see Tom and his Klan buddies posting through their tears today. Nothing makes me happier than knowing that you are unhappy. The best man won, and your pathetic and racist attitudes are the reason why.

topflight 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey, I have accepted him as the president. I just was interested if there is an answer to that question. Someday he will be at an international gathering, and when your own president does not appear to give a damn about his anthem, what will they think of the american people. It was just a question, you all are the ones putting a negative spin on this. I was just curious as to if he has ever addressed it.

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh and do enjoy the victory, Jaun McCain of McCain-Fiengold and McCain-Kennedy was hardly a conservative Republican Possibly the worst candidate since Bob Dole. Nice guys, war hero's, and totally and completely clueless.

Daytrader23 6 years, 10 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says:Thanks for the visual from afar Daytrader23.Will I be seeing you on the front page of the Telegraph this morning?-----------------------------------It's 5:00 somewhere in the world, Cheers.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 10 months ago

Weather forcast for November 5, 2008:A cold front will be moving through in the next couple of days, followed by falling skies due to the election of Barack Obama as the next president of the US. Conservatives are encouraged to seek shelter in underground bunkers until such time that Sarah Palin makes a run for president.

jonas_opines 6 years, 10 months ago

This still going on, then? Has the tone shifted at all since yesterday evening?

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

"Arizona, California and Florida were the only states to weigh constitutional amendments banning same-sex unions this year, down from 11 states in the 2004 election."Well, you know, we're running out of states that haven't already passed one."Fifty-seven percent of voters in Arkansas supported a measure to prohibit unmarried sexual partners from adopting children or from serving as foster parents. The measure specifies that the prohibition applies to opposite-sex as well as same-sex couples"And yet, on the ballot measures page, CNN has that one labeled "Ban on Gay Couples Adopting Children." Nothing like unbiased reporting from Ted Turner's flagship.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh, wait, I can say something else... McCain spent so much time pandering to the lowest common denominator among his constituency that, even mid-speech in his gracious concession, he could not suppress the petty moaning and groaning of his supportive audience. What a disappointing exit for a man who could have risen above that cess.

temperance 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm taking a few minutes this morning to read some of the conservative blogs (NRO, RedState, etc.). They're so dejected, defeated, and angry. You can almost hear the tears. It's really putting a spring in my step. Equally fun, pre-election analysis of why McCain should win: http://www.redstate.com/diaries/josh_painter/2008/oct/31/why-mccain-should-win-tuesday/

workin2hard 6 years, 10 months ago

If you look at the map of who won what states It shows that McCain won the states that are producing oil. The oil industry wants renewable energy. In turn creates hundreds of thousands of jobs. Meaning more money for people and economy. Start a ripple in the water and it spreads out.

vpete69 6 years, 10 months ago

"I think I can speak for the President elect, "Get a job, work really hard and send me 35% of everything you make. After you pay higher energy and food costs save what little you can and send me 40% of that."Amen. Another's misfortune will NEVER be my misfortune.A sad day for America.. History shows that a democracy only lasts an average of 300 years. Its been that way throughout history without any exceptions. We have taken our first steps toward a dark future and the death of our republic. But only if the Obama administration lasts. This will be a one term presidency. In a way, I want to thank everyone for voting for Obama. This will finally put to rest the essential "need" that you have all had for a left wing wackjob in the Presidency. The destruction that is sure to ensue is not long away. I doubt you'll even bother to show up at the polls in 2012. It will be an eye opener for all of America. Maybe then you'll start listening to reason instead of feelings. Had it not been for the fact that Obama was not running against McCain, but against Bush, this election would have had the opposite results. Bush was the worst thing that happened to the GOP since....uh, ever. He has tainted my beloved party. But thankfully, with Obama's victory, I will have it back in 4 years. An extremist such as him will have a wonderful effect on the GOP. So I want to thank all those who voted for Obama; hippies, libs, communists, marxists, illegal aliens, and dead people.... for breaking the ground on the new GOP powerhouse that will be born. Get ready , GOP. We'll have our houses back (for a long time) in 2012.

unbelievable 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm glad you can at least agree it was an issue. You may think it was an issue for me. That is fine. I could care less what you think I believe. But, just for your information, once again, you know nothing about my background. Because of who I am and personal reasons, I HATE people who use race in ANY way for ANY reason. You are an AMERICAN or you are NOT and AMERICAN. People who use race, age, sex or any other excuse for things just make me sick. So to vote for someone to be the president of this country, with such a stupid reason, I will never understand. You can not sit there and tell me that you actually believe many people didn't do that and vote for that reason. I am not saying YOU voted for that reason. I am saying I know of many people who did. That is pure ignorance. So if you didn't vote for that reason, then why feel the need to defend yourself?

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

"Seriously, after all those billions of dollars of Iraqi oil money have been put against our debts-you know, all that oil money we were promised..."Seriously, maybe you can show us where our current president promised you any such thing, aggie?I hope you'll be keeping score on promises kept equally as diligently with the next president - but I doubt it. Again I congratulate the president elect, but if you expect even a third of his promises to come to fruition, you are seriously deluded (and I didn't have much faith in his opponent's promises, either).

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

"Is that what you feel about your nation? Thanks for voting."I wasn't aware that this country is a "song." I suppose next you'll tell me your mother is a car.

coolhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

sfjayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

These bush fluffers make it hard not to gloat a loud I-told-you-so straight in their scowling faces - the scowling faces of the racists and the warmongers and those utterly terrified of the new and the different and the possible and of hope. In these times it is important to remember the Grand Rule of Bigotry and Hate: Prejudice and fanaticism tend to yell loudest and cling on the hardest when they are most threatened, when they know their worldview is headed straight for the dustbin of history. Bye bye, you will not be missed. Let the rest of us help bring in a new era of hope and progress and cooperation. Let us say goodbye to the bickering and divisiveness that have distracted us from reaching our destiny. Let us reach out, let us include, tolerate and progress. Our goal should be that we are the generation that will pass a legacy of hope to the next.

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

At least Ventura had also been a Navy SEAL and some other things - Franken wasn't even a good comedienne!

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 10 months ago

Hey, now, you're underestimating daily affirmations!!!But really, I'll bet Franken isn't a dumb guy. Electing Rush Limbaugh would be worse, in my opinion. We all know he's a big fat idiot.

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Agnostick (Anonymous) says:"Those 300+ electoral votes simply couldn't have happened without you and your compadres: folks like Matt Drudge, El Rushbo, Michael Savage, Sean Hannity: and the millions of deranged pyschopaths over in FreeperLand."As they were so helpful I can assume you will oppose any attempt to reinstate the "Fairness Doctrine" whereby a government committee, and not the audience, will choose who will be allowed to criticize either party and their policies on TV, radio, or the internet?

Bob Forer 6 years, 10 months ago

A mere four years ago, shortly after President-Elect Barack Obama delivered--what willl now go down in American History as a transformative, landmark speech--his keynote address to the Democratic National Convention, he was handpicked and removed, albeit temporarily, from the boarding line of his plane back to Chicago. All, obviously, because of his color and because of his name. On and after Jnauary 20, 2009, and for at least four years following, any plane he sets foot on immediately becomes Air Force One. Only in America. I love this Country.

unbelievable 6 years, 10 months ago

ConfrontationOnce again...someone who wants to say those who don't agree with Obama are racist. I guess loving your country and wanting nothing than the best for it makes us racist. Keep showing your ignorance people. It just goes to show what kind of people voted for him. Not the people with common sense...that is for sure.

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Agnostick (Anonymous) says: " Sigmund (Anonymous) says:chargdup (Anonymous) says: "President Obama, you have a big mess to clean up. How can I help?"I think I can speak for the President elect, "Get a job, work really hard and send me 35% of everything you make. After you pay higher energy and food costs save what little you can and send me 40% of that."__________Well, Sigmund, under that particular funding/revenue stream: how many years do you figure it will take us to pay off the Iraq war, erase the budget deficits, and the planet-Jupiter-sized ball of debt left behind by our 43rd president (which is just outer layers, really, added to the planet-Mars-sized ball of debt left behind by our 40th president):??So what part do you disagree with? Should chargedup simply sit on their ass and wait for welfare checks or struggle to succeed and selflessly send in 35-40% in taxes? BTW, as far as I remember both Republicans and Democrats approved the bailout and the Iraq war, or am I mistaken?

BigAl 6 years, 10 months ago

Unbelievable says: .. "When he fails us:you are to blame!"Please tell me who is to blame for the failures of Bushco?

grammaddy 6 years, 10 months ago

Yesterday while surfing the web, I came across a poem written around 70 years ago by the great hometown hero, Langston Hughes.It is titled "Let America Be America Again" and can be found at poets.org if anyone cares to look it up. It pretty well sums up what I felt about winning the election last night.

Mixolydian 6 years, 10 months ago

I am truly and honestly thrilled about what it means for this country to have elected an African-American to the presidency. No doubt about it. It makes me proud to be an American, given the history of race relations in this country.I just think it's also absolutely horrible that the man elected was Obama. His only achievement was to tow the party line. We didn't elect Obama, we ascended Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi as overseers of our government.American politics have always ridden on a pendulum. It'll swing back.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 10 months ago

Having caught that victory speech last night, all I can say is...Barack H. Obama is NO George W. Bush.

slang4d 6 years, 10 months ago

People (ahem, mostly liberal people) have said some interesting and thought-provoking things on these boards. The "other side" is half-full of nutjobs. It's impossible to engage them in an intelligent discussion, so why even try? They truly believe these ridiculous things they write and we should just let them do it....and then laugh in their faces when they are proven wrong eight years from now. Ignore them. I'll repeat: ignore them. Nothing you will say will change their mind- it will only serve to embolden them.

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

"Last year, when Bush won by a margin of 2.4% and 34 electoral votes, he declared that he had a "mandate"."And did you consider it one, logicsound? Somehow I didn't think you were always so accepting of what President Bush said.At the moment, CNN has the margin the same as they did the final result four years ago, 51-48. The discrepancy I mentioned between the electoral and popular votes wasn't referring to a different outcome, but to the fact that the same narrow margin you mocked as a 'mandate' four years ago translates into a 'landslide' tonight.

hawklet21 6 years, 10 months ago

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 10 months ago

NAJ: Well, that's one advantage you have over me; you have a business degree. The closest I ever came to anything in that realm was an introductory accounting class, and honestly, it made my brain want to jump out of my head and run away screaming. I can operate in the mathematical realm, but that stuff was just waaay to abstract and jargon-laden for my interests. Thanks for the info, though.

coolhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh by the way. I'm glad Oprah and Brad Pitt were there to rejoice with "The Chosen One." I'm glad I can walk on the same earth as he. To the racist posted above, racism only survives in the minds that perpetuate the thought. Some in this country didn't even know they were racist until the media told them so. I guess when you group everyone into one category, that makes you a racist. Well, I am white and damn proud of it - Choctaw Indian, French, Scottish, Irish. And, I don't need my wife on nationwide TV to categorize me as one race or another. Get over it and move on. "Obama is a black man," really? What about the white folk that raised him and the white woman that was his mother? Obama is a sham and his wife has an agenda. He is afraid of his background because it might not be politically correct or get him elected. Face up to what you are, Obama. You are a half-breed. No shame in that. Why can't you say it and why can't your wife support it? This is so politically incorrect that people can't face the truth. Probably Gestapo at my door now.

AjiDeGallina 6 years, 10 months ago

Marion, the only given is that you have failed, and failed dramatically, Your family name, your country, your party, your bankruptcy judge, and even your spammer friends.

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

My favorite part of Obama's speech, "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what you can do for your country - ask what your country can do for you."

unbelievable 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh. And I do agree it was an issue for some McCain voters as well. I also believe that to be ignorant. So don't think I am only speaking to Obama voters. I am just saying there are so MANY of them.

Bob Hechlor 6 years, 10 months ago

It is so amazing that we can go from eight years of disastrous Bush policies to finally getting an intelligent, wise and caring individual. I especially appreciate the young people who turned out and delivered this welcomed outcome. Our work is not over. We need to participate, call, write and email our elected officials and tell them what we need. I do not doubt that work will be started very soon towards straightening out our healthcare system and in creating new jobs that pay a living wage and making education possible for more people and finally getting to work and cleaning up the environment and hopefully that will include taking positive steps to stop climate changes. We can have an intelligent response to problems in the middle east with policies for the benefit of people as a whole, not just the oil companies. I would also expect that those officials who have acted in corrupt ways will be punished and that no bid contracts will stop and we will be able to do the research that needs to be done to make scientific progress to promote better technologies and better health, all of the things that have not been possible under republican self serving rule. 44 % of Kansans went for Obama. Hopefully the rest will figure out later who they should have voted for.

BrianR 6 years, 10 months ago

zbarf (Anonymous) says:"wake up:you have unleashed the three headed monster."Ghidorah?

deskboy04 6 years, 10 months ago

I work hard for my money and Mr. Obama has promised me a tax cut...so I'll get to keep more of what I have earned. The people who benefited from the Bush tax cuts may not be so lucky!

classclown 6 years, 10 months ago

Will someone please explain to me how my tongue in cheek post violated the TOS and got pulled? What in the world did I say that was so awful? I didn't say anything bad.I didn't post any evil links.Didn't call anybody a POS or instruct anyone to fornicate with them self as many posters seem to be able to get away with in this award winning site.I made no disparaging remarks about any candidates - again unlike many that have made countless crude remarks about whichever candidate they had an issue with.There was not a single bad or politically incorrect word in my post.What gives moderator? I've had too many innocuous posts removed for reasons I am unable to fathom in light of the many vulgar postings I see on an everyday basis here that don't merit a second glance from you people.Is this your way of saying to me that you don't want my patronage? Geeze! <-- I hope that word wasn't too vulgar for you all. Though it is harsher than anything that was in my yanked post.

beatrice 6 years, 10 months ago

Marion, I was just trying to amp up your desperation, playing off your previous paranoid rantings about Obama taking away the right to own. Obviously Obama is going to leave your guns alone. I'm making fun of you.Tom, I could have sworn you said America wouldn't elect a Black man. Guess you were wrong on that one. More votes than anyone for President ever. Also, the correct word to describe me today is "happy," not overwraught. I think Obama was the much better choice for president and I wish him the greatest success. May he fix those things Bush messed up, and may he help guide our nation toward prosperity during these troubled times. Remember, those on my side never called him the Messiah -- that was your side. We just called him Senator Obama, then elected him for a higher office. We wish him the best and will support his efforts. Now that it is over and we are all wishing him well, when do the debates start for the next election?

JHOK32 6 years, 10 months ago

It was one of the saddest days in American history when W. Bush took office. He is a spoiled rich kid who's daddy bought him the white house. Instead of serving his country during the Vietnam war, like McCain did, he was out partying and taking full advantage of his family's wealth & daddy's influence, yet he had no problem sending thousands of our best kids to their deaths to benefit his big oil buddies (Cheney included) all in the name of record big oil profits. The American people have now stood up & overwhelmingly kicked the Republicans out of power. The vast majority of Americans are sick of W and his billionaire buddies. We now have a new hope for the little guys, the "other" America which W completely ignored. Bush will leave office with Trillions of dollars in National debt (that means we get to pay for it), two unfinished wars (that he started), an economy that's in the worst condition since the great depression, no respect from the rest of the world, and yet there are still die-hard Republicans out there saying beware of Obama?.....unbelievable!

ryknow1976 6 years, 10 months ago

To quote Bob Dylan "Things should get interesting right about now"To speak to the closed minds that can't see past his heritage, ethnicity or name; your time has past. If you want to wave the flag, do so with the rest of us. You got a door prize in Pat Roberts, now just accept progress. G'night Lawrence. The new world and I will see you all tomorrow. Smile

jonas_opines 6 years, 10 months ago

agno: Bah, Wonder Woman may be able to take Resurrected Hitler, he's just a figure head. To suggest that she could take the Elite Domo-kun Warriors, now that's just foolishness.http://rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/DomoKun%20Kitty.jpgRemember, this is what you voted for.http://beconfused.com/images/2007/12/Domo-kun-takes-over-the-world.jpg

Kyle Reed 6 years, 10 months ago

I can only hope that with all the "Hope" and "Change" going around that they also spread a little civility. A lot of you people are pretty ridiculous with your lack of any kind of consideration for each other.

sk_in_ks 6 years, 10 months ago

It's appropriate to say "Yes, we DID," but we also need to keep saying, "Yes, we can," because the work is just beginning. Our first task begins now: to turn our attention to the current administration, which still has 76 days left in office, and is now busy pushing through changes at the FBI, the Environmental Protection Agency and elsewhere:http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/opinion/04tue1.html The price of freedom is indeed eternal vigilance; Americans cannot afford to take 76 days off until Obama takes office.

unbelievable 6 years, 10 months ago

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh and here is a news flash. Washington DC, 2009. President Obama today announced that his promise of a tax break for 95% of Americans will not be broken. However, after looking at the current state of the US Government he has declared that anyone making 25,000/year is in fact "wealthy." The Administration congratulates you on your new status as wealthy and urges you to selflessly and patriotically pay your tax increase.Agnostick (Anonymous) says: "Sigmund: Yes, both sides of the aisle are responsible. So, let's clean it up together, now: and not leave the mess for the kids:? Yes?"Sure, Lets lower energy costs for everyone by drilling on and off shore for our own oil here at home, building nuke plants, building the cleanest coal plants we can. Cheap abundant and reliable energy is the key to any national economy.Then we can get rid of the subprime mortgages by dismantling Fannie and Freddie Mac and throwing all those responsible in Congress (both Democrats and Republicans) and on Wall Street in jail.

bugmenot 6 years, 10 months ago

Yaaay!!!The voices of sanity and hope have won out this time. Tonight we celebrate.Tomorrow we'd better rest up because there's a lot of work to be done to fix this mess the past 8 years have caused.

temperance 6 years, 10 months ago

Another reason to celebrate: We'll have at least two, if not three, Obama SCOTUS picks in the next four years: http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/11/05/supreme_court/index.htmlThat's not arrogance, Tom. Just confidence.Now, let's watch the circular firing squad. Here's John Derbyshire from NRO blaming the loss on Bush's policies of "capitulation" to the Left. No, really -- you have to read it to believe it. The title -- "Sour Loser" -- says it all:http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZjBhMWEyZmZhYTYwZTNlMjIyM2E1NmQwOWUzODBlZTc=

Nobama08 6 years, 10 months ago

Dumb_Obama is right I'm scared for our country's defense he will give it all to the poor people who do nothing with their lives and will have no incentive to do anything now he is going to give them even more tax brakes while he punishes the hard working americans.

sfjayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

That was a great victory - for America and for the world. Now the work begins.It will not be easy,there will be tough choices,but the whole world can start to rest easier with the disastrous bush years almost behind us and America poised to lead once again. I am hopeful for a bright future where America can be both proud and respected.

unbelievable 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow. It is unbelievable to see how many people voted with such lack of knowledge. Really it just makes me sick. So many of the people who voted have no idea what they just voted for. So many people who voted only had the issue of "race" in mind. First of all, all those articles saying his is the first "black" or "african-american" president are wrong. Barack Hussein Obama is not half black. Barack Hussein Obama is 50% Caucasian from his mother's side and 43.75% Arabic and 6.25% African Negro from his father's side. While Barack Hussein Obama's father was from Kenya , his father's family was mainly Arabs. Barack Hussein Obama's father was only 12.5% African Negro and 87.5% Arab (his father's birth certificate even states he's Arab, not African Negro). He is now the first Arab-American President, not the first black President. So to those of you who want to make this about race and say that the white house is no longer for "whites"...YOU are the racist one. Don't sit here and tell me that you just want to be seen as "equal" and then turn everything around into a race issue. It is YOU who is concerned with race...not the "whites" or whoever else you want to blame for your "problems" or issues. Making this all about race is ignorance!To all of you who are gloating the fact that Obama won...you are showing your ignorance. This isn't a basketball game for heaven sakes. When he fails us...you are to blame!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

"Barack Hussein Obama will become the poster child for the Peter Principle."Ah, Marion, you're just jealous you didn't even make it that far.

unbelievable 6 years, 10 months ago

BigAlWell, everyone has to blame someone. I don't like Bush either, so ask someone else.just_another_bozo_on_this_busConsidering you know NOTHING about MY background and race, you shouldn't open your mouth about it. Don't talk about what you don't know. You are one of those ignorant fools I was talking about. Ignorance just flies out of your mouth.You all assume someone is racist because they don't believe in the race issue being thrown around. Or at least that is what you want to accuse them of because you need something to throw at them. Not one person has agreed that race shouldn't be an issue. Why? Because you DO make it an issue. I am not saying someone shouldn't vote for who they honestly believe is the right person for the job. If you really have looked into it and completely agree with his views, then great...put it your vote and congratulations to you. But, I am speaking to those who voted for the wrong reasons. I am speaking to those who make ignorant comments about his race and how great it is to have a "black" president.

antney 6 years, 10 months ago

What IS the matter with Kansas anyway?

JohnBrown 6 years, 10 months ago

It's official: the United States will never elect a Viet Nam vet as president. That said (and as a Nam vet) I'm proud we went with O'Bama. He will lead from the center, and he will lead us in the right direction. I feel like the stain Bush, Cheney, Rove and Gonzalez have placed on our nation is finally beginning to wash away.

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 10 months ago

Poor little Tom Shewmon! Only proving temperance's point my man.

BigAl 6 years, 10 months ago

The corrupt and divisive Fox News, talk radio, internet blogs and the deplorable emails have been defeated. The people are taking back America from Bushco and the far-right.

dumas 6 years, 10 months ago

My fellow Americans unhappy with the outcome of the Presidential Election, I was unhappy with the outcomes of the presidential elections in 2000 and 2004. However, I still remained a citizen of the United States, continued to live my life, word hard and do what I felt was right.You can do the same now. It won't be as bad as you think. In fact, you may even like it. I can't say that's completely true about myself. But I certainly tried.Thanks and bless Barack Obama and the U.S.

beatrice 6 years, 10 months ago

unbe: "Because of who I am and personal reasons, I HATE people who use race in ANY way for ANY reason."Right. And that is why you were able to break down the percentage of Obama's heritage down to the quarter of a percent, because race doesn't matter to you. You aren't fooling anyone. Marion, don't worry, you still have your guns and religion to cling to. Oh wait, that is right, you aren't religious. So at least you have your guns -- although someone will be stopping by to pick them up on January 21st. hahahahahaDon't be such a hater.

temperance 6 years, 10 months ago

vpete69: "There are places on the internet where you can bet on how fast he will be assassinated. While I would never wish death on ANY of my country's leaders (no matter how F'd up they are), I cant ignore the fact that an assassination on a black president might lead us to another national holiday:meaning a day off work:YAY!"Shorter vpete69: I'm hoping Obama is assassinated so that I can get another day off work.Why dance around with "I cant ignore the fact that" vagueness? Just say it. and stay classy!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

unbelievable-- Race certainly was an issue in this campaign, both for those who voted for McCain, and those who voted for Obama. But it was a relatively minor issue for most, although clearly you are not among those voters.

Daytrader23 6 years, 10 months ago

They are waiving American Flags here this morning in Europe.I repeat, people are out in the streets waving American Flags here in Europe, God bless you America and thank you.It's a far cry from only a year ago when they were burning the American flag. Bush-B-Gone. Welcome Barack Hussein Obama.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

" That is fine. I could care less what you think I believe. "It was enough of an issue for you that you posted what is probably very erroneous information about Obama's racial ancestry. Which Aryan Nation website did you cull that from?

Jason Bailey 6 years, 10 months ago

Contrary to the example set by many liberals in 2000, I will not be moving to Canada nor will I require psychological counseling to cope with my deep depression. I have no anger (unlike most of the libs on this forum) for Barack and will work diligently to ensure his agenda is held in check as long as I can. I will definitely be looking into tax shelters, ensuring that my salary does not top the magic threshold (wherever that is set) so I don't pay any additional taxes (I'll make sure that I'm remunerated in other ways of intangible dollar value), and keep an eye out for the "tests" that Biden promised would be coming from our enemies abroad within a year after they take the White House.Conservatives, true conservatives, fight in the arena of ideas not through invective and vitriol as the liberals do. The battle is new and gladly joined by those that are going to rebuild our party. This is the only glimmer of anything positive from my point of view: all of the moderate Senators of the NE have been booted. We can now start a new "Reagan revolution" for 2010 and beyond.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

" So many people who voted only had the issue of "race" in mind."Clearly, little else is on your mind, unbelievable. Are your robes out of the dry cleaners yet?

TacoBob 6 years, 10 months ago

Color - not an issue.Just deliver the results promised. Starting January , if not now. Plan your work, work your plan.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

Obama is not the first black candidate for president-- he wasn't even the only one in this election. But he is the first one ever elected, and his race was certainly not the primary reason.

vpete69 6 years, 10 months ago

Party line voters that have no idea what socialism, wealth-redistribution, national healthcare or capital gains actually mean. Keep voting on gay marriage and abortion, because really, THOSE are the real issues. Gotta love em.There are places on the internet where you can bet on how fast he will be assassinated. While I would never wish death on ANY of my country's leaders (no matter how F'd up they are), I cant ignore the fact that an assassination on a black president might lead us to another national holiday...meaning a day off work...YAY!

local_guy 6 years, 10 months ago

all i have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! and to all you haters that think we're on our way down the drain, get the hell out then! where are we now with your beloved Bush! and again, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! you racists and right wingers have been trying to keep this from happening for many decades, and now its here, and there's NOTHING you can do about it..HAHAHAHAHA!! I love it, and love all the hate you spew, shows your stupidity! enjoy our wonderful BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA for the next 4 YEARS!! HAHAHAHAHA!! i hope it really makes you mad!

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

beatrice (Anonymous) says: "Now that it is over and we are all wishing him well, when do the debates start for the next election?"I heard this morning that there are already people declaring for the next presidential race. I'm not planning on leaving the country or anything just because a Democrat was elected. But I just might if I have to endure a four-year election process with no break from the two-year one we just had!!!!!!!!!!*******I know I said earlier that "People have differences of opinion, and that doesn't mean one or the other is less intelligent." I may have been wrong. I know we're talking about a state that elected a professional wrestler as its governor, but is Al Franken seriously virtually tied and has a chance to win the Senate race?

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Not that bad a morning at all, tang.In addition to my congratulations for president-elect Obama, I'd like to extend a hearty congratulations also to Senator Roberts, who apparently, by winning rather easily, helped prevent a filibuster-free majority in the Senate.Don't think your votes don't count, Kansans.

rabbit 6 years, 10 months ago

unbelievable 6 years, 10 months ago

Nobama08You are not alone in those thoughts. Many of us are worried about that. He is only going to breed more laziness. I don't work hard to give my money to lazy, non-working people who pop out kids they won't work to support.

temperance 6 years, 10 months ago

unbelievable_troll: "Barack Hussein Obama is not half black. Barack Hussein Obama is 50% Caucasian from his mother's side and 43.75% Arabic and 6.25% African Negro from his father's side."This sentence, and the type of thinking it represents, is why your side lost. Most of America could care less about racial pedigrees, percentages, and race purity. At best, it's boring. At worst, it harks back to 19th century debates about the "one drop rule," "octoroons" & "mulattoes," and eugenics.And why are you still insisting on using his middle name? The attempt to connect him rhetorically to Saddam Hussein obviously failed, so maybe you should let go of the middle name thing. You're just embarrassing yourself. Listen for the emphasis: "George WALKER Bush!" Do you hear how dumb that sounds?*Nice posts Beatrice (as always . . .)

lawdog 6 years, 10 months ago

For many of us that have been working very hard for The Obama Campaign, our work is just beginning. Thank you Lawrence Community!!

dumb_obama 6 years, 10 months ago

AjiDeGallina 6 years, 10 months ago

Marion, it is not the first lie, You have that honor, you are the first liar of the brighter future, but even your pathetic ignorance can not dampen the flame the lights the way for a new beginning.

jonas_opines 6 years, 10 months ago

slang4d (Anonymous) says:"Ignore them.I'll repeat: ignore them." I dunno. . . sounds risky.

unbelievable 6 years, 10 months ago

The point is posting that is to point out that those who voted for him because he is "black" don't have an effing clue. Exactly my point. But, obviously, these things are to complicated for you people. Just go about your ignorant and foolish lives. Things that make sense will only confuse you. Oh, and to powershopper, look things up and answer that question for yourself. If you can't figure it out with the facts of things, then nothing I say will make sense to you either. Especially if the way someone "looks" tells you everything you need to know. How foolish.

4paz 6 years, 10 months ago

Boeing"But can the Obama people on TV stop shouting "Yes We Can"? It makes them sound like idiots:"Yes We Did" would be the correct tense now:"You don't understand. The "yes we can" is about turning our country around, changing our image in the world, saving our economy, and uniting, not dividing the nation. That is going to take a lot of work and it's only just begun. Obama's message is because we are Americans we can solve problems. Yes we can!!!! Cynics and naysayers need to get out of the way or come up with some ideas to share. All Americans are welcome to share in fixing what's happened to our country.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 6 years, 10 months ago

So are you and all your ideological brethren going to spend the next 4-8 years making not-so-subtle death threats against Obama, Tom?

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

RedwoodCoast (Anonymous) says: "I voted for Obama because he, much more so than John McCain, appeared to be the candidate who will have a greater focus on the long-term trajectory of our country."I agree with you but only as it pertains to some issues. With energy policy, I agree that drilling is a short-term solution and long-term needs a more comprehensive package (however I disagree that McCain's plan was drill-only). On the economy, I think the top-down approach is better for growing the economy and in the long-term it's better for the people at the bottom (although those people don't benefit as much in the short-term). The top-down approach has never really been demonstrated, though, since you have to hold down or even cut spending at the same time to make it work. Depending on the issue, I think the Democrats have a better long-term view on some things and Republicans on others. And again I'll restate that I think we all eventually want to end up in the same place, the differences arise on the best route to get there.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 10 months ago

I voted for Obama because he, much more so than John McCain, appeared to be the candidate who will have a greater focus on the long-term trajectory of our country. I just find it difficult to take conservatives seriously when they advocate for alternative and new energy sources, which is the only way we are going to continue to be a leader as a country in this world. And this is especially so when I hear 'drill, baby, drill.' 'It isn't 'invent and develop, baby, invent and develop,' which is what I think we need to be doing, rather than merely intensifying our use of orthodox energy sources. McCain is also a member of the conservative elite who feels that an unregulated top-down economic strategy, which is what is currently failing, is the way to go. I fundamentally disagree. I voted for Obama because he seems like the real deal. It was refreshing, yet, disappointing to finally see the real John McCain last night during his concession speech. He might have had a better chance had he been truer to himself throughout his campaign.

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

temperance (Anonymous) says: "I'm taking a few minutes this morning to read some of the conservative blogs (NRO, RedState, etc.). They're so dejected, defeated, and angry. You can almost hear the tears. It's really putting a spring in my step."Funny, here at work all the Obama supporters are frantically running around defending their vote and the conservatives are enjoying it all immensely, most of us laughing our butts off.****unbelievable (Anonymous) says: "Wow. It is unbelievable to see how many people voted with such lack of knowledge."Sorry, but I refuse to call it that, on either side. It has been dogma from the left for years that anyone who supported the current president must not understand the issues, a fallacy I refuse to return in kind.It is unquestionable that president-elect Obama is a redistributionist. I don't think people failed to understand that, there are plenty of people that believe that is the way to true social justice and equality, and that is how they voted. I likewise don't believe that people didn't understand that the surge in Iraq was working, some people just didn't think it mattered, that the war shouldn't have been going on at all, and that is how they voted. People have differences of opinion, and that doesn't mean one or the other is less intelligent, because there simply is no objective right or wrong to some questions. I firmly believe that almost everyone in this country wants most of the same things. We all want everyone to have quality healthcare, we all want the poor to be taken care of and helped to improve their place in life, we all want national security and a workable energy policy and better education for our kids. There are huge differences of opinion on the best ways to accomplish those things, but that IS one of the things that makes our country a great one.Yes, there are plenty of people on both sides who voted the pure, ideological party line. And yes, I'm sure that there are plenty of people who were just blindly stupid again, on both sides. But those things tend to cancel out, and I'd like to believe that most people voted the issues. I do think the people who voted solely for change, just for the sake of change, were incredibly naÃive that's how we got the horrific years that followed the 1976 election. And I think those who believed that president-elect Obama will end partisanship and bring unity didn't pay much attention to a record that reflects an absolute absence of challenging his own party line and whose campaign was built solidly on linking his opponent to the current administration and attacking that party (incidentally I didn't have much faith in senator McCain's ability to do so either). But again, I think most people understood the issues and made their choices appropriately, and only time will tell if things get better or worse as a result.

RedwoodCoast 6 years, 10 months ago

NAJ: I would go for regulated and transparent top-down economics, but with no checks and balances for that sort of system, I think I would rather have a bottom or middle-up strategy. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if we cannot trust people in government to function scrupulously without checks and balances, then what sense does it make to deregulate the financial system and expect people to behave?I guess I don't know which is worse, a top-down strategy that puts more money in the pockets of big business and not necessarily the middle class, or a bottom-up strategy that puts money in the pockets of the middle class. In the first scenario, companies might have better ability and incentive to hire employees (or enjoy multimillion-dollar bonuses), but in the second scenario, the social class to which those employees generally belong also needs money to support those big businesses by purchasing their goods and services.You are definitely more economically-savvy than myself, but that is how I am interpreting the scenarios.

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

all these doom and gloom predictions because a democrat was elected.

unbelievable 6 years, 10 months ago

logicsound04Yes, you are right. There is no point in talking to those people.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 10 months ago

Marion says..." . . . O b a m a _ p e o p l e . . . "

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

"Blacks have proven to be much more racist than whites. Recent vote with 96% of Blacks voting for Obama with most only voting because of the color of his skin."Um, Kool? How many of those same black voters voted for Kerry? For Gore? There's a very obvious reason why black voters voted for Obama and why Republican/conservative voters didn't, a pattern that can be seen for many past elections:He's a Democrat.***Redwood;Again, I don't know that there is a 'right' or 'wrong' option. I don't think either one has ever been tried in its strictest sense, and most of the combinations that have been tried have - well, you can see where we are now. There are problems with both systems - the top down approach takes a while for the money to get to the bottom, and there's no guarantee that it will. With the bottom up approach, you have a couple of ways to pay for it - more taxes on the rich, or increased debt. With the former, it's not sustainable - eventually there's nothing left to tax. With the latter you end up paying off debt forever, which takes money out of the economy without adding value to anything. (Even with the top-down approach, you have to find a way to pay for it, and raising taxes isn't an option - you have to cut spending or, again, increase debt.)I seriously doubt I'm more economically savvy than you, or most anyone else here - just like you, this is just my own understanding of it. It's been a long time and a couple of career changes since my business degree.

pity2bu 6 years, 10 months ago

Why is it that the Obama Mama's motto was Yes we can, Change We need. During his elected speech last night I started laughing as Obama began backing out of quite a few of his promises....Oh well just like a Democrat, A bunch of hot air and no action.....Now its time to kick back, prop my feet up and drink a beer because this is going to be a fantastic horse and pony show! We will be laughing and you won't see us standing at the court house protesting and whining every saturday like the Democrats. But thanks to our Republican Military that gave you the right to protest and whine....Gotta drink another beer to that one!

bolshavik_vw 6 years, 10 months ago

yes we did! And it was so awesome. It is for all us here at home. And all of you throughout the world.Celebrate with us. We got rid of a BIG LOSER W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH it does feel free and wonderful. I feel like a BIG weight has been lifted off and now I am able to move about the world to seek peace and harmony with all the people. It is a great day in America. And to think my BIG FAT BUSH LIKE BOSS asked me how my day off was on Nov 4th. I was like GREAT NOW THAT WE, WON! And let me tell you I was not including him in to my group at all.

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

I just noticed that the final RCP average was pretty much right on the money - now that's a change. Not too surprisingly, the CBS and ABC/Washington Post polls were high at 9%. Somewhat surprisingly, the ones that overestimated the victory the most were Gallup and Reuters/Zogby at 11%. And guess what - two of the polls that most people would have thought biased one way or the other, CNN and Fox, were dead on at 7%.I'm not sure if this is good news or bad news. People will have more faith in the polls from now on, and if there's another big discrepancy between polls and vote totals next time, people will once again assume vote tampering.