Archive for Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Drug probe at San Diego State University nets 75 students

May 7, 2008

San Diego State University president Stephen Weber, right, and SDSU chief of police John Browning, left, stand over a guns and drugs seized during the arrest of 96 people on drug charges Tuesday in San Diego. Seventy-five SDSU students and 21 nonstudents were arrested after an undercover investigation of the college drug ring.

— When a 19-year-old freshman sorority member died a year ago from a cocaine overdose at San Diego State University, campus investigators set out to find out who was dealing drugs to their 34,000 students.

It turned out their targets were on Fraternity Row, where authorities say unassuming facades of houses emblazoned with Greek symbols concealed thriving networks that may have used profits to finance fraternity operations.

Undercover agents arrested 96 people, including 75 San Diego State students, during a five-month investigation into drug dealing on campus. Students at three fraternities were arrested.

Twenty-nine of the suspects were arrested early Tuesday in raids at nine locations including the Theta Chi fraternity, where agents found cocaine, Ecstasy and three guns.

Eighteen of them were wanted on warrants for selling to undercover agents.

San Diego State suspended Theta Chi and five other fraternities Tuesday pending a hearing on evidence gathered during the investigation.

Some fraternity members made little effort to hide, authorities said.

One Theta Chi member allegedly sent text messages last month to regular customers offering reduced prices on bulk quantities of cocaine before he headed to Las Vegas for a fraternity formal.

Grams of cocaine were on sale for as little as $35.

"Attn faithful customers both myself and my associates will be in Vegas this coming weekend," the 19-year-old student wrote in the text message. "So stock up, we will be back Sunday night."

"A sad commentary is that when one of these individuals was arrested, they inquired as (to) whether or not his arrest and incarceration would have an effect on him becoming a federal law enforcement officer," said Ralph Partridge, special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration in San Diego.

The Greek system has about 3,000 students, but Fraternity Row plays an outsized role in campus life. It sits a block from Cox Arena, home to many college sporting events.

Dale Taylor, national executive director of Theta Chi, said he was "obviously shocked and saddened" by the allegations. Theta Chi prohibited the San Diego chapter from group activities like parties or sports activities and will investigate additional disciplinary measures, up to expulsion of members or the entire chapter.

The San Diego chapter, founded 61 years ago, was the first national fraternity on campus and has 65 members.

University police launched their investigation into drug sales on campus after Shirley Poliakoff, 19, died from a cocaine overdose in May 2007. Investigators discovered many students in fraternities were aware of organized drug dealing within their houses.

As the investigation proceeded, another student, from Mesa College, died of a cocaine overdose at an SDSU fraternity house on Feb. 26, the DEA said.

More than 130 undercover drug buys were made at locations including fraternity houses, student parking areas and dormitories during the investigation by university police and the DEA, authorities said.

Authorities seized several guns, at least $60,000 in cash and about $100,000 worth of drugs, including marijuana, psychedelic mushrooms, hash oil, methamphetamine and illicit prescription drugs.

Some drugs bought and sold by students were traced to gangs linked to Mexican cartels, according to the DEA.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, but they probably made a few people look up the word insipid.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Damn my charactor flaws.....here I am again unpracticing what I preach!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Ahhhh...I`m sorry yer pussy is hurtin you today A.P.....I love you man ....glad 2 know there is someone out there sicker than me.........

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 11 months ago

btw...a bunch of 'anonymous' jabs mean less than nothing to me. Some courage you display there folks.

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 11 months ago

Yeah! Don't you forget it!Since the bus stops will probably be gone, no lte this year, and probably no tear-downs. Sorry folks.Thanks for the support. Enjoy your 'druggie fest".

le 5 years, 11 months ago

You all are free to hate me ...thats O.K......but you can`t say I am any thing less than up front and honest....I am a little mean spirited (2 much so) when I respond 2 negative comments directed my way but..I am workin on it...progress ..not perfection...a cliche ..but a damn good one!

le 5 years, 11 months ago

Thanx andypandy 4 takin the heat off me...I would rather be ignored than attacked so I can free my mind 2 make well thought out comments...I do enjoy the posts section ..but I cant help but post back with a vengence when someone draws 1st blood....perhaps I should sue the Rorer corp. 4 producing all those smokable Qualudes ..the Rorer 714s ...in the70s and destroyin my brain cells.....just a little destoyed brainfood 4 thought! Cant say I didnt have more fun than anyone person should have in life tho.....I just feel lucky to have survived it all!

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

Consumer -Sigma Nu would have been my second choice. That is sort of funny.

consumer1 5 years, 11 months ago

I posted so many times because I knew this would be a hot ticket for "great" comments. T.O.B. Actually the sigma nu house... eeeeeek, that third floor roof was reefer heaven. second floor had a "coke" machine, I can see his face but not his name????? (which is okay). he is probably an attorney now.

Confrontation 5 years, 11 months ago

"One student who was arrested was a month away from a criminal justice degree and another was about to receive a master's degree in homeland security."Don't worry about it. We have a crackhead as a president, so your jobs will still be there for you.

KSA_21_3503 5 years, 11 months ago

This is the same guy who is arguing that we don't need to use our already installed and operational tornado sirens during an NWS issued tornado warning because everybody should have weather radios with battery backups. Those who don't have them don't deserve to be warned, according to him.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

Well, well, well. It seems as if Andy has a history of ignorant comments about Wakarusa...http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/jun/11/festival_posters/Most pointless LTE of all time? Perhaps not, but it deserves to be in the conversation.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

"Well there's 75 less tickets that will be sold for the 'Wakarusa Druggie Fest'." Andrew StahemerWell, it looks like we can already award Andrew Stahmer's post as the most insipid of the day. Congrats! You did it before 10 am!

Andrew Stahmer 5 years, 11 months ago

Well there's 75 less tickets that will be sold for the 'Wakarusa Druggie Fest'.

le 5 years, 11 months ago

These crafty little future lawyers and juctice system wannabes will likely sue Eric Clapton and blame him 4 makin the cocaine song !

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 11 months ago

"consumer1 (Anonymous) says: I know when I went to KU the best drugs were purchased from the fraternity that I belonged to."You were an ATO, I presume?

newsreader 5 years, 11 months ago

Oh no... not drugs at a college!!

consumer1 5 years, 11 months ago

KU, you don't want to P@ss on too many locals, they may get fed up with your bullying and set Five-O on your trail.

consumer1 5 years, 11 months ago

Of course the best customers were the sorority house girls who lived across the lawn.

consumer1 5 years, 11 months ago

consumer1 5 years, 11 months ago

Attention Kansas University, Don't push too hard for that $6,400 bill you want paid from the city. They may start investigating you guys and where all your money is really coming from.