Archive for Monday, August 4, 2008

Rumbling, tumbling

Chisox brawl with Royals, fall from first

Kansas City's Miguel Olivo, third from right, is restrained by teammate Mike Aviles, back left, Chicago's Jaun Uribe (5), manager Ozzie Guillen (13) and Royals third-base coach Luis Silverio after Olivo charged the mound in the fifth inning of the Royals' 14-3 victory over the White Sox. Olivo was plunked by pitcher D.J. Carrasco and charged the mound Sunday in Kansas City, Mo.

August 4, 2008

White Sox skipper Ozzie Guillen, right, goes nose-to-nose with umpire Tim Timmons after the ejection of White Sox pitcher D.J. Carrasco.

Kansas CIty's Miguel Olivo, left, is restrained by White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski as Olivo charges the mound in the fifth inning. The Royals beat the White Sox, 14-3, Sunday in Kansas City, Mo.

— The Chicago White Sox dropped out of first place for the first time since May 16, but they didn't go down without a fight.

There was a bench-clearing brawl in the fifth inning and five ejections total in Chicago's 14-3 loss to the Kansas City Royals on Sunday. Mike Aviles went 4-for-4 with a home run, and Zack Greinke pitched well into the seventh inning before he was among those sent to the clubhouse.

Royals catcher Miguel Olivo was hit in the wrist by a pitch from D.J. Carrasco and charged the mound to start the brawl. Olivo pulled up as if he was ready to punch Carrasco, a former Royals pitcher, when White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski grabbed him from behind.

Olivo instead hit Pierzynski in the head, and by then players from both dugouts and bullpens had rushed the field.

Olivo, Carrasco and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen were ejected when order was restored.

"In that situation, I had to believe he was trying to hit me even with the bases loaded," Olivo said. "We were leading by six runs. They come inside hard three times. That is the team that has hit me three times already. It seemed so obvious to me."

Olivo was suspended four games at the beginning of this season after throwing a punch at Jose Reyes of the New York Mets during the final weekend of last season while with the Florida Marlins, also igniting a bench-clearing brawl. Another suspension could be coming.

"I hope not, but if it's coming, I need to take it because I charged the pitcher," Olivo said. "I'm a man. I take my consequences. I know what I did. I think I did the right thing."

Aviles' four-hit game matched his career high and raised his average to .340. It was his third four-hit game in 52 games since a May 29 promotion from Triple-A Omaha.

The White Sox' 19th loss in 28 road games set them back a half-game behind Minnesota in the AL Central, after the Twins defeated the Cleveland Indians.

The Royals collected 19 hits, a season high, in each of the final two games of this series. Every Royal starter except Esteban German had a hit.

All of it was overshadowed by the fifth-inning fight.

"Olivo overreacted to the situation," Guillen said. "I wonder why a guy (plate umpire Tim Timmons) thought we were going to hit the guy with the bases loaded with a pitch in on the hands. This is my 20-something year in the big leagues and I still don't understand what common sense they have when they make those decisions.

"I'm not going to bring a guy in that throws 85 miles an hour to hit somebody. I guarantee it. I'll bring (Octavio) Dotel, I'll bring (Matt) Thornton. Then I will tell them to throw at them. That's the way I do business."

Carrasco said he was surprised when Olivo came to the mound.

"I came in and I'm trying to get a double play ball," Carrasco said. "I threw him my sinker in to try to get him to get a ground ball out of that, and it got away from me. I went to pick up the ball, and he's charging at me.

"I was just standing on the mound, and the umpire came up to me and said, 'You're out of here.' They might think there is something stemming from before, but I didn't think I was being thrown out of the game. Obviously, they thought differently, and they make the call."

"We're already losing," Pierzynski said. "We don't play like that. Ozzie doesn't play like that. This team doesn't play like that."

Greinke (9-7) held the White Sox to three hits and no runs the first six innings, then allowed two runs in the seventh before hitting Nick Swisher with a pitch. Greinke was ejected along with Royals manager Trey Hillman.

Greinke, who lost July 18 at Chicago when he allowed seven runs on 11 hits in three innings, struck out six without a walk, laboring through 6 1/3 innings in 98-degree weather.

"That's the hottest I remember pitching in," Greinke said.

Olivo contributed a two-run double in the second and had three RBIs. Billy Butler had three hits and drove in two runs. Jose Guillen had two hits, including his team-leading 16th home run and second in as many games. Rookie Mitch Maier also had a career-high three hits.

Clayton Richard (0-2), who was making his third big league start, gave up nine runs, six earned, on 11 hits in 4 1/3 innings, his ERA ballooning to 10.38.

Dewayne Wise's triple in the seventh scored Brian Anderson with the first White Six run. A.J. Pierzynski added a home run in the eighth off Robinson Tejeda.

Notes: Greinke's throwing error in the fourth ended a 71 inning errorless streak by the Royals, their longest of the season. ... The Royals had 19 or more hits in back-to-back games for the first time in franchise history.

Comments

monkeyspunk 6 years, 4 months ago

Haha, I love AJ. He was blowing so much smoke up whomever's wazoo was interviewing him they were idiots to reprint it. AJ will use and abuse reporters, they should know that by now.I love Ozzie too, for much of the same reason. He says and does what he wants. So what they fell out of first place, at least they were IN first place. What is the best the Royals could hope to fall out of at this point in the season? Their bus?

hail2oldku 6 years, 4 months ago

Ramsfield (Anonymous) says: Guillen is an idiot.Too bad Olivio didnt swing on him-------------------------------------------------------------------------Yeah, do you recall the time Brian McRae got plunked and instead of charging the mound ran straight for the manager in the other dugout. That is how you go about it.Greinke's pitch was payback btw, It's just a shame that he didn't save it for AJ or that they didn't bring in someone specifically to hit Pierzynski after Greinke got tossed.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

"Pierzynski also didn't understand why the umpire thought Carrasco was trying to hit Olivo."Oh, I don't know, three pitches in a row, up and inside, the first one made him move, the 2nd hit the bat handle, and the third hit him. Don't know WHY the umpire would think he was trying to hit him.....

hail2oldku 6 years, 4 months ago

bevy (Anonymous) says: I'm shocked! What has happened to the gentlemanly game of baseball?--------------------------------------------------------------------------Indeed, what happened to taking one like a man and trotting down to first base. Once upon a time, that was the case and then at some point during the next 1/2 inning you could count on a member of the other team getting drilled. Such was the game of baseball, a bruise for a bruise. The one thing you did not do was throw at the head.

kujayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

Typical baseball fight. Rush the mound and pray somebody stops you before you actually get in a fight.

Royals 6 years, 4 months ago

Being a former Royal, I think Carrasco holds a grudge.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

Hubby happened to have the game on and I was watching when he charged the mound. Two pitches, close in, and then he gets hit with the third. Do I think he was throwing at him? Yep. I don't think the pitcher had thrown to many batters when he faced Olivo, so he couldn't have been tired. And when I heard the batter has been hit three times this season, all while playing the white sox, well, that's just too much of a coincidence. And then they threw out Greinke, because he hit a batter in the side, (supposed payback) about 2 innings later. I think if Greinke was going to hit a batter, he wouldn't have made it so obvious.

bevy 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm shocked! What has happened to the gentlemanly game of baseball?Just kidding. I remember my dad's words from when I was a kid. He said "If you want to know who the old guys on a team are, wait until they have a brawl. The old guys are the ones on the outside of the mob throwing punches at nobody and yelling. They won't be in the midst of it - they can't afford to get hurt!"It's nice to see the Royals winning.

july241983 6 years, 4 months ago

I definitely think Greinke was throwing at Swisher. Greinke has been one pitcher for the Royals who will plunk a guy every now and then, coincidently, always after the other team plunks one of the Royals. Also, Pierzynski doesn't know what he's talking about. A couple of years ago, Ozzie had a guy sent to AAA because he failed to hit a batter. That is the way Ozzie manages. He readily admitted it.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

"I came in and I'm trying to get a double play ball," Carrasco said. "I threw him my sinker in to try to get him to get a ground ball out of that, and it got away from me."Yeah, dude, it got away from you once, twice, and then a third time.......

thebigspoon 6 years, 4 months ago

Its funny how ozzie states that if he were going to bring in someone to hit a batter it wouldnt be someone who threw 85 mph but someone like dotel who throws alot harder "thats the way I do business" ozzie stated. Further down in the article you have Pierzynski saying, "We don't play like that. Ozzie doesn't play like that. This team doesn't play like that." Which way do they play? The whitesox are trash and I love the fire in which Olivo plays with

cato_the_elder 6 years, 4 months ago

Olivo needs to play more. His 'tude is what the Royals need more of.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 4 months ago

"Once upon a time, that was the case and then at some point during the next 1/2 inning you could count on a member of the other team getting drilled. Such was the game of baseball, a bruise for a bruise."It's true. The players these days, it's only a matter of time before some hacked off batter takes a swing at the catcher with the bat without even actually being hit. http://www.thebaseballpage.com/players/rosebjo01.phpOr they'll do something awful, like jump into stands and beat up handicapped people.http://www.roanoke.com/extra/wb/xp-15274The players these days--nothing but violent criminals, if you ask me. I miss the good old days.

snazzo 6 years, 4 months ago

It wasn't even that big of a fight. Both benches cleared, but both sides were out there making sure it got stopped. I love it when it just keeps going. That's good entertainment.

thebigspoon 6 years, 4 months ago

"Being a former Royal, I think Carrasco holds a grudge"I would too if I played for the white sox

july241983 6 years, 4 months ago

"So what they fell out of first place, at least they were IN first place. What is the best the Royals could hope to fall out of at this point in the season? Their bus?"No, the best the Royals could hope for is knocking the stinkin' White Sox out of first, which they did. Now, they can hope to knock them out of second. And maybe punch your beloved A.J. in the head in the process. Oh wait, they did that already too.