Archive for Sunday, January 28, 2007

Graduate gives $4M for housing

Alumnus touts virtues of life in scholarship hall

January 28, 2007

Carl Krehbiel, of Moundridge, a 1970 Kansas University graduate, remembers well his three years living in Stephenson Scholarship Hall.

His roommates tutored him in math. He helped others with their foreign language studies, and Krehbiel learned to play bridge, of course.

"I certainly believe that the scholarship hall is the optimal academic environment and social atmosphere for students," he said Saturday morning at a ceremony at the all-women's Rieger Scholarship Hall.

KU and KU Endowment Association leaders revealed that Krehbiel - a Kansas businessman, former state legislator and Vietnam veteran - was the donor who pledged $4 million to build KU's 12th scholarship hall next to Rieger Hall at 13th and Ohio streets.

KU will ask the Kansas Board of Regents to name the new all-male hall for Carl Krehbiel's parents, alumni Floyd H. and Kathryn Krehbiel. The new building will house 50 men and be built in the same mold as Rieger Hall.

The scholarship hall program is for students with promising academic and leadership potential. Residents pay about $1,600 less than students who live in residence halls, but scholarship hall residents agree to take on weekly household and cooking duties.

"This is a great day for the scholarship hall community and for the university as a whole. This next addition is something I think everybody's going to be very, very proud of," KU Chancellor Robert Hemenway said during Saturday's ceremony.

The lot in the foreground of the Dennis E. Rieger Scholarship Hall, 1323 Ohio, visible in background, will be the site of a new scholarship hall at Kansas University. A $4 million gift commitment will fund construction of the 12th scholarship hall at KU.

KU hopes to begin construction in the spring and complete it by fall 2008. KU Endowment leaders said Treanor Architects would design the twin to Rieger Hall.

Carl Krehbiel took over the family's Moundridge Telephone Co. in 1992 after his father died. Floyd Krehbiel graduated in 1947 and lived in Battenfield Scholarship Hall.

Decked in crimson and blue garb, Kathryn Krehbiel - a 1945 KU graduate - also attended Saturday's ceremony along with several KU scholarship hall residents. She has established a scholarship each for a man and woman KU basketball band member and is known for buying soft drinks for band members during games.

Both Kathryn and Floyd Krehbiel played in the KU band at basketball games in the 1940s.

"Mom is very excited about it. I wish my father could be here. They both had valuable experiences at KU," Carl Krehbiel said. "Mom is absolutely delighted we are doing this and making this available."

Comments

gabbo 8 years, 3 months ago

Four posts in a row = Rambling

This man did a good thing, let it go.

CindiCat 8 years, 3 months ago

Gabbo.........I totally agree with your post.

"Cool"..........why not COOL IT already!!???

My son lived in a Scholarship Hall at KU for 5 years. My youngest daughter is now a student at KU and has lived in Rieger Hall for 2 years.

Thank you to the family who has donated.

not_dolph 8 years, 3 months ago

gabbo and CindiCat - you guys are right. Cool is very jealous and bitter - and if you follow any of his other posts, they are always demeaning someone for some reason or other. Pay him no mind.

oldgoof 8 years, 3 months ago

This Oread resident believes KU has significantly improved that block, which had become a wretched dump. Mr. Krehbiel's gift is really an appropriate way to honor his parents. I am glad for him.

oldgoof 8 years, 3 months ago

.. Cool, I know every inch of the area and know about the parking issues. But I long ago tired of the Oread Assn supposedly speaking on my behalf. I quite frankly resented the half-truths and over-reaching statements several made at public meetings about this issue. Setting the University up as the evil empire-fall guy in this is pretty shallow, infantile, and transparent, when the real culprit is the zoning and planning decisions made decades ago by the city. You obviously have that notion yourself. I believe the University has been and continues to be a good neighbor, with the minor exception of that noisy air compressor on 10th.

And my central contention is obvious to anyone who has done a before and after...... the University has improved a totally blighted and decayed area. They didn't blight it. They removed the blight. I own my property. I park on my property. It works for me.

not_dolph 8 years, 3 months ago

Posted by cool (anonymous) on January 28, 2007 at 8:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

sent not dolph an email message that some of his own posts do not exactly remind anyone of THOMAS MOORE.

Yes, he did, and does often. This guy is a net stalker. Not only does he contact other users who post opposite his views - via email, he has now begun to post within the threads that he has done so! What a FREAK!

oldgoof 8 years, 3 months ago

Cool, park on the property you own. Problem solved. City streets and universities do not exist to solve your personal car storage issues.

On the other hand, I didn't see you doing anything to improve a terribly blighted block. The university did. Kudos. . If I had money to leave the University the very last thing I would do would give it to them to solve your personal car storage problems. That's not an issue of university "leadership" It is because those with money to give do have some common sense. If a University official had tried to suggest to me that this was a need, I would have quickly taken the money to other charities with much higher priorities and gone elsewhere.

not_dolph 8 years, 3 months ago

...meaning - Me too in agreement with goof.

StirrrThePot 8 years, 3 months ago

I am just thrilled the money did not go to athletics.

Bravo, Mr. Krehbiel. And best wishes to you and your family (especially your mother, who has been often named by past KU band members as "the Patron Saint of the KU Basketball Band".

not_dolph 8 years, 3 months ago

STP wrote -

It had to be you....It had to be you....