Archive for Tuesday, April 3, 2007

School board, City Commission elections today

April 3, 2007

Reader poll
Who is your favorite City Hall candidate today?

or See the results without voting

The finish line is here.

Voters today will determine the winners of races for the Lawrence City Commission, Lawrence school board and several races in outlying communities.

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today. Weather forecasts call for a high of 62 degrees with a slight chance of morning showers.

Voters will determine the winners of three seats on the Lawrence City Commission. Six candidates are vying for the spots: James Bush, Rob Chestnut, Mike Dever, Commissioner Boog Highberger, Carey Maynard-Moody and Commissioner David Schauner.

Voters will determine the winners of four school board seats among eight candidates: Mary Loveland, Michael Machell, Marlene Merrill, incumbent Rich Minder, Scott Morgan, Michael Pomes, Robert Rauktis and Victor Sisk.

Voters in Baldwin City, Eudora and Lecompton will decide City Council spots. School board positions also are up for grabs in the Baldwin City, Eudora and Perry-Lecompton districts.

Election results coverage

Coverage of election results can be found tonight at 6News and right here on LJWorld.com.

LJWorld.com will run live election tallies for the Lawrence City Commission and Lawrence school board races - with results available on a precinct-by-precinct basis.

After the polls close, business editor Mark Fagan and former Mayor Bob Moody will take questions and analyze election results during a LJWorld.com online chat.

Fagan and Moody also will join 6News' live election coverage, which will include candidate interviews and analysis.

LJWorld.com election coverage starts live after the polls close at 7 p.m.; 6News coverage begins at 8 p.m. on Sunflower Broadband Channel 6.

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 8 months ago

"VOTE FOR Chestnut Dever Bush"

That's what I'll be doing.

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

VOTE FOR Chestnut Dever Bush

the others have wasted your money by the millions

1.10 million on roundabouts wasted

2.4 million on studys wasted

3.traffic calming 1.2 million wasted

4.1.2 million in legal fees wasted

5.95000 more fore flowers wasted

6.SLT not

1. affordable housing what a joke

8.saying no to biz sales tax lost 6 to 10 million

9.schauner,boog,rundle leaving office

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PRICELESS

VOTE common sence back on the commision

lunacydetector 7 years, 7 months ago

"Keep an eye on your wallets." - merrill

"They'll be getting fatter." - lunacydetector

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

hey log boy you still have not proven my post false.So that must mean all your copy paste crapola is just that LIES LIES LIES

So we have to stop the wastefull spending

Chestnut

Dever

Bush

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 8 months ago

Help is on the way!

Vote Dever, Chestnut and Bush.

commuter 7 years, 8 months ago

Log:

Have you worked in the corporate world? Have you worked in a factory before? The employees were fired because they violated a company policy and tried to get other employees to violate that policy. Generally speaking, Kansas is a right to work state menaing you can be fired from your job for no reason. If that is ok with you, fine.

By the way, this happend before Rob started.

Can you prove that Dever, Chestnut and Bush are going to side with the developers? If so, i would love to see this.

coneflower 7 years, 8 months ago

Proud to vote:

Highberger Schauner Maynard-Moody

I voted for: livable neighborhoods use fees so developers help with roads, sewers wage above the poverty line for biz that get tax credits raising minimum wage some affordable housing in new developments

Only my three candidates - they alone - support these things. Chestnut/Bush/Dever oppose them.

blackwalnut 7 years, 8 months ago

I voted for Lawrence, a city I love, and the people who live here. I voted for people who are running because the love Lawrence, and are supported by individuals, not wealthy companies who stand to profit bigtime by changing Lawrence.

Boog Highberger David Schauner Carey Maynard-Moody

commuter 7 years, 8 months ago

Blackwalnut-

Actually outside consultants profit very much from the city commission. It seems like we have to have study for everything. To me this is funny considering the city staff should be able to do the work.

blackwalnut 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by logrithmic (anonymous) on April 3, 2007 at 7:36 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The taxpayer should never be forced to subsidize business or "buy" jobs, like Dever, Chestnut, and Bush want to do.

The little group of developers backing these candidates are like a plague of locusts. It is our job to save Lawrence from them.

person184 7 years, 8 months ago

Thanks Logrithmic for all the info. I will be giving my vote to Boog, Schauner, and Maynard-Moody.

Redzilla 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't think I could vote for anyone named Bush, even at gunpoint.

coneflower 7 years, 8 months ago

I no longer take the men and boys in my family to get their haircuts at Amyx barber, because if he won't support Lawrence and downtown, why should I support him? I used to go out of my way to support that shop - a multi-generation family-owned business. Amyx will help destroy what his forefathers built, if enough like him join the commission.

Dambudzo: What's with ????? Those things I mentioned are the things Dever/Chestnut/Bush said NO to.

ilovelucy 7 years, 8 months ago

Log: Just curious, who do you blame the Walmart development on? Seems to me that the new Walmart building was passed under your buddies several years. That they are willing to undergo a lawsuit just shows you that they don't care how much they spend to prove their point. I don't want a Walmart any worse than the next person but it was decided in a Commission vote. Let it die, and move on to your next battle. Unfortunately, Walmart has many more dollars than this city does and they will prevail. Lucy

Eileen Emmi Jones 7 years, 8 months ago

Boog David Carey

I happily cast my vote for them.

Now we'll see: Will voters vote to preserve what we love about Lawrence, or to turn it over to those who think it is just a field of ripe grain ready for their locusts, er, I mean, corporate backers.

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

Eileen Emmi Jones 7 years, 8 months ago

"I don't want a Walmart any worse than the next person but it was decided in a Commission vote. Let it die, and move on to your next battle. Unfortunately, Walmart has many more dollars than this city does and they will prevail." Lucy

Perhaps easier to say if you don't live where you will be affected by the traffic snarls that Wal-Mart will make.

Put it somewhere else. That corner cannot handle the traffic. A big development is already a done deal for the cornfield, that will be 3 corners saturated with traffic. And who will pay for widening those streets? Not Wal-Mart, no can be sure of that. I'd rather spend the dollars on fighting the big bully's lawsuit than on supporting it with my tax money.

Rationalanimal 7 years, 8 months ago

"Chestnut is an executive with a company who fires people for wearing Holloween ties"

I'd fire someone for wearing a Holloween tie to. Holloween sound scary.

conservative 7 years, 8 months ago

"So why were the pro-cancer-let's-make-Lawrence-into-Olathe group the top three candidates on my ballot? Did Dever, Chestnut and Bush buy their way onto the top three slots or did the powers-that-be just make it so?"

The order of candidates is rotated on a district by district basis. On my ballot the three amigos were on top. I quickly skipped down to find the candidates that I wanted to vote for.

lunacydetector 7 years, 8 months ago

the more people who get out and vote will mean the more the progressives will go down in flames.

get out and vote people!

MyName 7 years, 8 months ago

Thank God! After today there will be no more retarded spams from "Election Monkee" 458casul. That's the best news I've heard all week!

BTW, if your candidates are in such a week position that you feel you have to spend large amounts of your day spamming out useless campaign rhetoric, then maybe they don't deserve to be elected. In fact, I'd say that the biggest reason I won't be voting for 2 of the 3 of them is because of "Election Monkee" 458casul.

Kathy Gates 7 years, 8 months ago

Lulu 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm proud to be an anti-American bisexual anarchist leaning anti-corporate American socialist Democrat Atheist environmentalist, because at least I know I'm free.

The womyn of Lawrence will gladly stand up and vote for Boog, Cary and David to defend her still today.

'Cause there ain't no doubt we love this town, Don't mess with us on voting day.

============================================

The developturd lovers should stay home. We have the numbers and we will keep it, now and forever.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

Why would anyone support special interest real estate money in a local election after bitching about special interest influence in Washington D.C.? Dirty money is dirty money! This type of influence peddling creates the epitome of a conflict of interest. Not to mention unethical and irresponsible.

This reason alone made voting for Carey Maynard - Moody,Dennis"Boog" Highberger and David Schauner a matter of principle.

cowboy 7 years, 8 months ago

election Results Chestnut Dever Bush Win landslide

ilovelucy 7 years, 8 months ago

Cowboy: that would be the answer to my deepest desire.

shockchalk 7 years, 8 months ago

It won't be long now............the results will be in..........

Chestnut

Dever

Bush

VICTORIOUS............even in Lawrence, common sense prevails occasionally.

shockchalk 7 years, 8 months ago

logrithmic...............translation of your post......regardless who wins (you know who will win) I look forward to blaming the rightwing conservatives for everything that happens here in little old Lawrence and the rest of the big bad world. And pleaseeeeee, try not to lose any sleep over the fact that some of the future city commisioners go to church and believe in God. Geez, that's really one that would keep me up at night. Beware indeed, what a threat.

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

log boy and merrill you have failed to disprove any of the post I have put up the guys you back have wasted more tax dollars on crapola than anyone in the history of lawrence VOTE

Chestnut

Dever

Bush

if you want your tax dollars spent the right way

log boy and merrill do you need to call 911 to put those flames out

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

conservative 7 years, 8 months ago

Wow merrill, now you're just cutting and pasting a post from the same article word for word that you posted 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.

My prediction for the election results is:

Chestnut Dever Boog

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

"Baille--there was no conspiracy involved in how the names were on the ballot. Nobody bought their way to the top. They were in alphabetical order!"

There is no fun in that. I bought the tinfoil hat, darnit, and so I am going t o wear it.

shockchalk 7 years, 8 months ago

blue73harley.....You know, you could be right. As dumb as they say President Bush is, they still believe he was powerful enough to cause hurricane Katrina to flood Louisianna. I'm sure the evil developers are to blame for the alphabet.........don't worry though, the polls will close tonight and tomorrow it will be better.

KsTwister 7 years, 8 months ago

Nut: "Yes - but Dever, Chestnut and Bush oppose making businesses that receive tax subsidies, pay a wage 30% above the poverty line. And they oppose raising the minimum wage from $5.15."

Look up (Feb 12,2007) They didn't oppose it, they realize wasting time on something that is being dealt with at the STATE level. "Kansas bill would eliminate state minimum wage, prohibit local living wage laws". Look it up.

Pessimist 7 years, 8 months ago

logrithmic: Have you ever met any of these candidates personally? I have met several of them. All of them are nice people. However, I don't feel it necessary to attack them personally like you do even if I don't agree with their views.

What religion would be acceptable to you since you don't like "biblethumpers?" Or, does a candidate have to be anti-religions to get your vote? Or, is it just Christians that you hate?

Do you have anything that can back up your suggestion that Chestnut and Bush will begin "imposing their way of life on us?"

Do you really think that is why people run for public office? Or is that what you would do if you ran for public office?

cantbelievemyeyes 7 years, 8 months ago

Wow, there seem to be so many people who hate the developers and their "dirty money" but are glad to get a paycheck from them. If any one of you people who are complaining here did not get a profit off of your investment you would be so upset. But you get mad if someone else makes a profit. You hate all the "box housing" (which is the style now) but who do you think built the house you are probably living in? Houses 20-30 years old in this town were still built by developers. Who do you think builds the grocery stores and restaurants? How short sided and selfish you all are!!!

porkchop 7 years, 8 months ago

"many if not most of those who "hate" developers work for a public entity in Lawrence."

That is the most intelligent sentence I've seen today. It pretty much sums up the political divide in this town, whether people want to acknowledge that or not.

Really, it's the first post I've ever seen by Hawk that wasn't completely bats**t insane.

(I don't intend "bats**t insane" as an insult, BTW. Quite the opposite.)

Pessimist 7 years, 8 months ago

logrithmic: Read my post. I asked if you hated Christians. I didn't say you did. Watch what you say, too.

commuter 7 years, 8 months ago

Log-

You stated "What a load... those who hate developers live off the public dole. Many of us work in the private sector and we do not like our taxes being used to subsidize someone else's profit or make work for those that can't make a profit without a subsidy."

Does this include artists, since the city pays for their art? Consultants? Please expalin. I am getting confused.

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

There is nothing inherently wrong with development. There is something very much wrong with those who put short-term profits over the long-term health of our community.

If we follow the path of those who were in power prior to ~2000, we would be allowing the opportunistic, dumb-growth developers take us toward becoming Olathe-west.

I would much rather see our community foster a relationship with developers who were committed to a vision of Lawrence as a distinct and enduring community.

Our current community leaders have their faults - but so does our citizenry. A lack of substantive involvement from a significant number of our citizens precludes us from doing much about establishing a unified vision for our community or cultivating the kind of cooperation that smart growth requires. Consequently, our city core slowly dies off, city center schools shut down, and amenities move outward in an ever-expanding circle of suburbia while we sip coffee and wonder why the retail shops are moving outof downtown. But we can at least prevent the old guard from restarting the hurried race of unrestrained growth. Development is good. Unrestrained, short-sighted development is bad.

I don't want to live in Olathe. I like Lawrence the way it was and the way that it can be.

By the way, what were the black vans with the big antennas doing outside the polling places this morning? Oddly enough, they all had Dever, Chestnut, and Bush bumper stickers. Are the pro-cancer three not only buying their way into the top three ballot slots but hacking into the voting machines as well?

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

BAILLE you caught them hacking the election away this stuff is better than log boy or merrill could ever do,This is the number one reason we have to get

Chestnut Dever Bush

in office fast before the helos land

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

election Results Chestnut Dever Bush Win landslide

First city commission meeting ordinance taking away Merrills cut and paste function YIPPIE !!!!!!!!!!!

Logy's up to his usual antichristian rant. he likens conservative Christians to Taliban. however, how many Christian fundamentalists have highjacked planes lately? how many have distributed video images of beheadings? his rantings betray the usual leftist antichristian bias. he probably is also full of the usual leftist antisemitism too.

vote for sanity to return to the operation of this city: Bush Chestnut, Dever.

please don't vote for yDOOM-dranyam, who's using global warming scare tactics to run for a city commission office! shameful to use that false religion of global warming.

Boog once said "it's just a little pot."

and Schauner wants to narrow the traffic on east 11th. yeah, riiiight.
these are to blame for the hated roundabouts. and on that alone the plc-three will go down in flames.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

uuuuuuuuh! now its black vans with antennas! uuuuuuuuuh! somebody please ship baille a new foil hat, his/hers has obviously malfunctioned! this exemplifies the desperation among the good ship PLC/GRA now that they've hit an iceberg. all they can do is imply evil by their opponents. not good.

"developturds" very very sad use of that term. the persons who use it imply that developers are by nature evil. but they're probably living in a developer built house, have some of their income from a developer directly or indirectly...that is unless they're on SSI/SSDI declared disabled because of drug abuse, alcohol abuse.

while we're at it here are some great schoolboard candidates who deserve support: Pomes Minder Merrill and Machell.

though he has ads, I expect Morgan won't get elected because of the crazy school closings.

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

Wow, Marion et al. Ya'll need to readjust your "just kidding round" meter. What sad little lives you must lead.

I mean, seriously, people, how the heck is anyone going to hack into a paper and ink voting process? Jeez.

Anyway - everyone knows that the black vans monitor the voting so that they can report back to the FBI under the auspices of COINTELPRO II, which was secretly passed by Congress during a super-secret vote in the Spring of 2003 following the quarterly report by representatives of the Skull and Bones and approval of the annual Mason's picnic.

On a lighter note, it is nice to see Capra has given up using all caps and punctuating his "thoughts" with long lines of slash marks. Knowing that personal growth of that magnitude is possible rekindles my hope for mankind.

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

say log boy three times smack your heels together and pray he will copy and paste his lips to his screen

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

The best reason to vote for Dever Bush and Chestnut? Merril, Bozo and Logjam support the opposition. Any candidate that counts among his/er supporters who believes the ignorant hateful and prejudiced nonsense that spews such as "developturds" or seriously compares Christians to Nazi's is so far removed from reality by their ideology as to be dangerously psychotic. I've heard more coherent rants from people who believe aliens in black helicopters have implanted chips in their heads.

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

"I've heard more coherent rants from people who believe aliens in black helicopters have implanted chips in their heads."

That's because the alien chips improves the clarity of one's thoughts by clearing the reactive mind of negative and damaging engrams.

Baille 7 years, 8 months ago

Sigmund,

It appears to me that there are supporters of both slates of candidates who lack a little something topside.

You would have to agree, would you not?

Thanks.

Baille

blackwalnut 7 years, 8 months ago

I think Big Money will prevail. And Lawrencians will lose.

Putting my house on the market the second it becomes clear a Wal-Mart will go in on the corner. Hoping to beat the rush, but not real hopeful.

If even one of the Developers' Boys wins, I give Lawrence 5 years. In 5 years downtown will be a crime-ridden eyesore just like Topeka's.

blackwalnut 7 years, 8 months ago

Posted by Sigmund (anonymous) on April 3, 2007 at 5:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You can say that, with 458casul and Marion and blueharley raving away?

Scary that you'd base your vote on comments in here. It's a little late to get educated, I guess.

Michael Capra 7 years, 8 months ago

according to the black vans it will be

Dever

Chestnut

Boog

News_to_me 7 years, 8 months ago

I know it's early but the new guys have got to be a bit nervous. Same for some of the posters who made PREDICTIONS here.

admills 7 years, 8 months ago

How does precinct 19 have 1391 registered voters and 1526 ballots cast?

News_to_me 7 years, 8 months ago

Seems to me that this city commission will have a good balance. A little old, some new. Should make for some interesting discussions at meetings.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 8 months ago

Another Wal - Mart is likely on the way in spite of zoning regulations so far as size is concerned. Good bye Dillon's and who knows what else.

The Library will likely be built $20 million,$30 million or $50 million?

The superdome will be on the way however no hard numbers on that as yet? Probably another $20-30 Million?

Street and sidewalk repair with or without a tax increase?

Convention Center also likely but to be paid by who and how much?

Low paying jobs or higher wages which will it be?

So we'll see how much taxes drop due to any influence by new faces for as of now personal property taxes will begin to drop cuz property values are decreasing as we speak so I'm told. Too many houses on the market in addition to a depressed housing market generally speaking.

The prior years Lawrence City Commission had a developers commission taxes increased annually as they broadened our tax base.

Keep an eye on your wallets.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

Logy boy convicts himself with his own words...wow he really believes that! still no answer: ain't no fundamental Christians beheading, highjacking planes, etc. all we want is to be allowed to practice our faith. our faith also guides our choices in politics if we are consistent. Logy would impose an unconstitutional "religious test" for holding office. he'd oppose any one for judgeship or political office because they have strong core beliefs. sad. these are the traditional judeochristian principles this country was founded on.

yes, wonderful outcome! Boog no majority with him now! yea! I see Merrill is predicting the sky is falling...as reliable as all of his other rantings/cut-and-paste/biosolids he posts.

Porter 7 years, 7 months ago

How's the view from that glass house, bearded_gnome?