Archive for Tuesday, April 3, 2007

School board, City Commission elections today

April 3, 2007

Reader poll
Who is your favorite City Hall candidate today?

or See the results without voting

The finish line is here.

Voters today will determine the winners of races for the Lawrence City Commission, Lawrence school board and several races in outlying communities.

Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. today. Weather forecasts call for a high of 62 degrees with a slight chance of morning showers.

Voters will determine the winners of three seats on the Lawrence City Commission. Six candidates are vying for the spots: James Bush, Rob Chestnut, Mike Dever, Commissioner Boog Highberger, Carey Maynard-Moody and Commissioner David Schauner.

Voters will determine the winners of four school board seats among eight candidates: Mary Loveland, Michael Machell, Marlene Merrill, incumbent Rich Minder, Scott Morgan, Michael Pomes, Robert Rauktis and Victor Sisk.

Voters in Baldwin City, Eudora and Lecompton will decide City Council spots. School board positions also are up for grabs in the Baldwin City, Eudora and Perry-Lecompton districts.

Election results coverage

Coverage of election results can be found tonight at 6News and right here on LJWorld.com.

LJWorld.com will run live election tallies for the Lawrence City Commission and Lawrence school board races - with results available on a precinct-by-precinct basis.

After the polls close, business editor Mark Fagan and former Mayor Bob Moody will take questions and analyze election results during a LJWorld.com online chat.

Fagan and Moody also will join 6News' live election coverage, which will include candidate interviews and analysis.

LJWorld.com election coverage starts live after the polls close at 7 p.m.; 6News coverage begins at 8 p.m. on Sunflower Broadband Channel 6.

Comments

Porter 7 years ago

How's the view from that glass house, bearded_gnome?

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

Logy boy convicts himself with his own words...wow he really believes that! still no answer: ain't no fundamental Christians beheading, highjacking planes, etc. all we want is to be allowed to practice our faith. our faith also guides our choices in politics if we are consistent. Logy would impose an unconstitutional "religious test" for holding office. he'd oppose any one for judgeship or political office because they have strong core beliefs. sad. these are the traditional judeochristian principles this country was founded on.

yes, wonderful outcome! Boog no majority with him now! yea! I see Merrill is predicting the sky is falling...as reliable as all of his other rantings/cut-and-paste/biosolids he posts.

lunacydetector 7 years ago

"Keep an eye on your wallets." - merrill

"They'll be getting fatter." - lunacydetector

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

To borrow a few lines.................................

"When I was young, the sky was full of stars!

I watched them burn out one by one!"

When I was young, Lawrence gave much to me or I took much from Lawrence; I'm not certain which.

At any rate, when I returned for the third time to this wonderful little burg, I saw the usurpation of the town by IDIOTS!

I did what I could to help restore THE POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

The PEOPLE now have that power returned to them.

Tonight I shall sleep well and maybe even late.

Thank you all who voted for Chestnut, Dever and Bush.

I wish that Bush had garnered more votes but he is a Man Of Faith and therefore ANATHEMA in what WAS The People's Republic Of Lawrence.

Too bad.

He is a good guy; reasonable and rational but nevertheless a man of FAITH and therefore not permissable in the FORMER People's Republic Of Lawrence.

Lawrence has given much to me, starting in, Oh!; about 1959 when my Uncle; a KU student first took me to Dyche Museum.

I have in this campaign endeavoured to give back to Lawrence by supporting reasonable and rational candidates.

Those candidates have been successful.

I have repaid a small portion of the debt which I owe this town.

Thank you all who have supported Dever, Chestnut and Bush.

You are TRUE Lawrencians!

Hey, Dambusted!

I'm going to have that drink now!

Grey Goose over ice.

Let it stand for a few minutes and then sip.

Nice stuff.

Very "progressive" of me, don't you think?

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Qouth The Merrill:

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

Another Wal - Mart is likely on the way in spite of zoning regulations so far as size is concerned. Good bye Dillon's and who knows what else.

The Library will likely be built $20 million,$30 million or $50 million?

The superdome will be on the way however no hard numbers on that as yet? Probably another $20-30 Million?

Street and sidewalk repair with or without a tax increase?

Convention Center also likely but to be paid by who and how much?

Low paying jobs or higher wages which will it be?

So we'll see how much taxes drop due to any influence by new faces for as of now personal property taxes will begin to drop cuz property values are decreasing as we speak so I'm told. Too many houses on the market in addition to a depressed housing market generally speaking.

The prior years Lawrence City Commission had a developers commission taxes increased annually as they broadened our tax base.

Keep an eye on your wallets.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Sure got quiet out there.

logrithmic 7 years ago

The only one lacking something topside is a person that would write this:

Sigmund,

It appears to me that there are supporters of both slates of candidates who lack a little something topside.

You would have to agree, would you not?

Baille

News_to_me 7 years ago

Seems to me that this city commission will have a good balance. A little old, some new. Should make for some interesting discussions at meetings.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Nope; only very, very happy!

The "hammered" part comes later!

heh, heh

Dambudzo 7 years ago

Marion is hammered again.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Ding, dong Thte With is DEAD!

Which old Witch?

THE "PROGRESSIVE" WITCH!

DING, DONG, THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD!

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Well, the Fat Lady sang and then went to the bar leaving you "Progressives (Read:"REPRESSIVES") with this:

Have your speakers on!

admills 7 years ago

How does precinct 19 have 1391 registered voters and 1526 ballots cast?

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

Whoever wins will declare their stance. Don[t be surprised by some of the decisions to come down the road. Free State best get the brewery cranked up, because STump Betty won't be welcome

News_to_me 7 years ago

I know it's early but the new guys have got to be a bit nervous. Same for some of the posters who made PREDICTIONS here.

none2 7 years ago

If I were to guess, I'd say that the election will be:

Dever Chestnut Boog

Why? Because that is what the results were in the primary.

I doubt if the others make it:

Carrey Maynard Moody She talked but didn't really say anything.

David Schauner He seemed so mean whenever I heard him talk. Instead of a positive message, his was all about was how bad the others were.

James Bush He is the dark horse. He seemed undecided on some issues. Maybe that was the truth. On the other hand, you wonder if he really was or just was biding his time to declare his stance on issues once/if he got elected.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Seven minutes to a return to sanity in Lawrence.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Twenty minutes until The Fat Lady Sings the blues for the "Progressives(Read:"REPRESSIVES")!

Michael Capra 7 years ago

according to the black vans it will be

Dever

Chestnut

Boog

blackwalnut 7 years ago

Posted by Sigmund (anonymous) on April 3, 2007 at 5:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You can say that, with 458casul and Marion and blueharley raving away?

Scary that you'd base your vote on comments in here. It's a little late to get educated, I guess.

blackwalnut 7 years ago

I think Big Money will prevail. And Lawrencians will lose.

Putting my house on the market the second it becomes clear a Wal-Mart will go in on the corner. Hoping to beat the rush, but not real hopeful.

If even one of the Developers' Boys wins, I give Lawrence 5 years. In 5 years downtown will be a crime-ridden eyesore just like Topeka's.

Baille:

Oh.

Yeah.

It's kinda hard to tell on election day!

I get it now.

It's just that soooooooo many of the Boog, Shauner Moody supporters actually BELIEVE things like that!

Baille 7 years ago

Sigmund,

You would have to agree, would you not?

Baille

Michael Capra 7 years ago

chips in there head those are rocks

Baille 7 years ago

"I've heard more coherent rants from people who believe aliens in black helicopters have implanted chips in their heads."

That's because the alien chips improves the clarity of one's thoughts by clearing the reactive mind of negative and damaging engrams.

Sigmund 7 years ago

The best reason to vote for Dever Bush and Chestnut? Merril, Bozo and Logjam support the opposition. Any candidate that counts among his/er supporters who believes the ignorant hateful and prejudiced nonsense that spews such as "developturds" or seriously compares Christians to Nazi's is so far removed from reality by their ideology as to be dangerously psychotic. I've heard more coherent rants from people who believe aliens in black helicopters have implanted chips in their heads.

Michael Capra 7 years ago

say log boy three times smack your heels together and pray he will copy and paste his lips to his screen

Baille 7 years ago

Wow, Marion et al. Ya'll need to readjust your "just kidding round" meter. What sad little lives you must lead.

I mean, seriously, people, how the heck is anyone going to hack into a paper and ink voting process? Jeez.

Anyway - everyone knows that the black vans monitor the voting so that they can report back to the FBI under the auspices of COINTELPRO II, which was secretly passed by Congress during a super-secret vote in the Spring of 2003 following the quarterly report by representatives of the Skull and Bones and approval of the annual Mason's picnic.

On a lighter note, it is nice to see Capra has given up using all caps and punctuating his "thoughts" with long lines of slash marks. Knowing that personal growth of that magnitude is possible rekindles my hope for mankind.

logrithmic 7 years ago

The gnome obviously can't stand living in a pluralistic society... Here are some excerpts from a great article on the subject by Chris Hedges, whose recent book, "The Christian Right and the Rise of American Fascism" addresses this very subject! Perhaps this is what Chestnut, Bush and Gnome want to mimic in our city:

"Dr. James Luther Adams, my ethics professor at Harvard Divinity School , told us that when we were his age, he was then close to 80, we would all be fighting the 'Christian fascists.'

The warning, given to me 25 years ago, came at the moment Pat Robertson and other radio and televangelists began speaking about a new political religion that would direct its efforts at taking control of all institutions, including mainstream denominations and the government. Its stated goal was to use the United States to create a global, Christian empire. It was hard, at the time, to take such fantastic rhetoric seriously, especially given the buffoonish quality of those who expounded it. But Adams warned us against the blindness caused by intellectual snobbery. The Nazis, he said, were not going to return with swastikas and brown shirts. Their ideological inheritors had found a mask for fascism in the pages of the Bible.

He saw in the Christian Right, long before we did, disturbing similarities with the German Christian Church and the Nazi Party, similarities that he said would, in the event of prolonged social instability or a national crisis, see American fascists, under the guise of religion, rise to dismantle the open society.

All debates with the Christian Right are useless. We cannot reach this movement. It does not want a dialogue. It cares nothing for rational thought and discussion. It is not mollified because John Kerry prays or Jimmy Carter teaches Sunday School.

They hate us. They hate the liberal, enlightened world formed by the Constitution. Our opinions do not count. This movement will not stop until we are ruled by Biblical Law, an authoritarian church intrudes in every aspect of our life, women stay at home and rear children, gays agree to be cured, abortion is considered murder, the press and the schools promote "positive" Christian values, the federal government is gutted, war becomes our primary form of communication with the rest of the world and recalcitrant non-believers see their flesh eviscerated at the sound of the Messiah's voice."

logrithmic 7 years ago

Commuter: This is in response to Hawk's post at 3:18 where he asserted: "....many if not most of those who "hate" developers work for a public entity in Lawrence." I was saying this was BS. I work in the private sector. He probably is some wealthy developturd that sits around sipping martinis thinking all the while he's actually working.

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

uuuuuuuuh! now its black vans with antennas! uuuuuuuuuh! somebody please ship baille a new foil hat, his/hers has obviously malfunctioned! this exemplifies the desperation among the good ship PLC/GRA now that they've hit an iceberg. all they can do is imply evil by their opponents. not good.

"developturds" very very sad use of that term. the persons who use it imply that developers are by nature evil. but they're probably living in a developer built house, have some of their income from a developer directly or indirectly...that is unless they're on SSI/SSDI declared disabled because of drug abuse, alcohol abuse.

while we're at it here are some great schoolboard candidates who deserve support: Pomes Minder Merrill and Machell.

though he has ads, I expect Morgan won't get elected because of the crazy school closings.

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

election Results Chestnut Dever Bush Win landslide

First city commission meeting ordinance taking away Merrills cut and paste function YIPPIE !!!!!!!!!!!

Logy's up to his usual antichristian rant. he likens conservative Christians to Taliban. however, how many Christian fundamentalists have highjacked planes lately? how many have distributed video images of beheadings? his rantings betray the usual leftist antichristian bias. he probably is also full of the usual leftist antisemitism too.

vote for sanity to return to the operation of this city: Bush Chestnut, Dever.

please don't vote for yDOOM-dranyam, who's using global warming scare tactics to run for a city commission office! shameful to use that false religion of global warming.

Boog once said "it's just a little pot."

and Schauner wants to narrow the traffic on east 11th. yeah, riiiight.
these are to blame for the hated roundabouts. and on that alone the plc-three will go down in flames.

Michael Capra 7 years ago

BAILLE you caught them hacking the election away this stuff is better than log boy or merrill could ever do,This is the number one reason we have to get

Chestnut Dever Bush

in office fast before the helos land

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Now there is SOME KIND OF PARANOIA!

WOO HOO!

Nice job, Baille!

Now go take your meds!

Baille 7 years ago

There is nothing inherently wrong with development. There is something very much wrong with those who put short-term profits over the long-term health of our community.

If we follow the path of those who were in power prior to ~2000, we would be allowing the opportunistic, dumb-growth developers take us toward becoming Olathe-west.

I would much rather see our community foster a relationship with developers who were committed to a vision of Lawrence as a distinct and enduring community.

Our current community leaders have their faults - but so does our citizenry. A lack of substantive involvement from a significant number of our citizens precludes us from doing much about establishing a unified vision for our community or cultivating the kind of cooperation that smart growth requires. Consequently, our city core slowly dies off, city center schools shut down, and amenities move outward in an ever-expanding circle of suburbia while we sip coffee and wonder why the retail shops are moving outof downtown. But we can at least prevent the old guard from restarting the hurried race of unrestrained growth. Development is good. Unrestrained, short-sighted development is bad.

I don't want to live in Olathe. I like Lawrence the way it was and the way that it can be.

By the way, what were the black vans with the big antennas doing outside the polling places this morning? Oddly enough, they all had Dever, Chestnut, and Bush bumper stickers. Are the pro-cancer three not only buying their way into the top three ballot slots but hacking into the voting machines as well?

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

How did the Jews get involved in this?

Is this part of the great International Zionist Conspiracy?

The Protocols maybe?

;) ' I thought this thread was about the election in Lawrence?

commuter 7 years ago

Log-

You stated "What a load... those who hate developers live off the public dole. Many of us work in the private sector and we do not like our taxes being used to subsidize someone else's profit or make work for those that can't make a profit without a subsidy."

Does this include artists, since the city pays for their art? Consultants? Please expalin. I am getting confused.

logrithmic 7 years ago

Are you a Biblethumper? Thump thump, the wump....

I protested a visit by Jerry Falwell to a southern city. Five men walked over to me and beat on me with their bibles. I continued my protest, yelling all along: "Separate church and state."

If you would rather live in a country where only one religion is tolerated, I'd recommend somewhere in the Middle East. Take lots of water....

logrithmic 7 years ago

Better yet, do you hate Jews for crucifying a Jew?

logrithmic 7 years ago

The common term for most of this type of activity is "white man's welfare." Those of use who are tired of working hard only to find our taxes going to pay for sewers, roads, schools, and police for new subdivisions, resent these kinds of taxes. These should be paid for by the subdivisions through the use of impact fees. If you can't afford it, developturds, then find a new way of making a living.... Welcome to MARKET economics....

logrithmic 7 years ago

Why would you ask such a question if you weren't implying it was true? Do you hate Budhists?

Pessimist 7 years ago

logrithmic: Read my post. I asked if you hated Christians. I didn't say you did. Watch what you say, too.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

porkchop,,,,if a compliment fine but the "hawk" does not budge one inch on what is printed here....the facts speak for themselves. the longer list is yet to come....don't forget 1975 when the 312 loan program started low interest loans to "needy" folks. wanna bet the majority were connected to KU...

It is time for KU to start reducing the staff, get their budgets in line and let it be know throughout the United States that employment at KU is a privilege..the same goes with thecounty, and city.

Today, the county commissioners want to raise taxes but the other day want to give away up to $150,000 to finish a bridge. How stupid are those folks?

It pays to be bats**tinsane. Thank you very much! Please pass the butter.

porkchop 7 years ago

"many if not most of those who "hate" developers work for a public entity in Lawrence."

That is the most intelligent sentence I've seen today. It pretty much sums up the political divide in this town, whether people want to acknowledge that or not.

Really, it's the first post I've ever seen by Hawk that wasn't completely bats**t insane.

(I don't intend "bats**t insane" as an insult, BTW. Quite the opposite.)

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

cantbelievemyeyes. many if not most of those who "hate" developers work for a public entity in Lawrence. They live off the public or have sucked from the programs. don't forget for one moment when this started around 1975...short list of 3% loan recipients...bonita yoder, marci franciso....the longer list to come....poor they say?..if Lulu is real, then she the "womyn" lives in a house subsidized..However, lulu is not real. she went the way of Hee Haw and is doing quite well now. Too bad Lawrence does not have Lulu roman. She could buy up the Masonic building and we could have a real life Hee Haw show in Lawrence.

logrithmic 7 years ago

Can't: It's not profit I'm against. It's subsidies - taxpayer subsidies to SELECT companies in the local real estate development industry. You are clearly clueless.

Pess: I'm not saying they're not nice people. I'm saying that many of these "nice" people have agendas. I believe that Chestnut and Bush are two of these. If they get in they will try to impose their narrow viewpoints on our way of life. I don't hate Christians, so quit lying. Don't you know that's a sin? I believe in separation of church and state. So did our founding fathers. If you can't live with this, there's probably a nice sand hut over in Afghanistan waiting with your name on it: Taliban Pess.

cantbelievemyeyes 7 years ago

Wow, there seem to be so many people who hate the developers and their "dirty money" but are glad to get a paycheck from them. If any one of you people who are complaining here did not get a profit off of your investment you would be so upset. But you get mad if someone else makes a profit. You hate all the "box housing" (which is the style now) but who do you think built the house you are probably living in? Houses 20-30 years old in this town were still built by developers. Who do you think builds the grocery stores and restaurants? How short sided and selfish you all are!!!

Pessimist 7 years ago

logrithmic: Have you ever met any of these candidates personally? I have met several of them. All of them are nice people. However, I don't feel it necessary to attack them personally like you do even if I don't agree with their views.

What religion would be acceptable to you since you don't like "biblethumpers?" Or, does a candidate have to be anti-religions to get your vote? Or, is it just Christians that you hate?

Do you have anything that can back up your suggestion that Chestnut and Bush will begin "imposing their way of life on us?"

Do you really think that is why people run for public office? Or is that what you would do if you ran for public office?

KsTwister 7 years ago

Nut: "Yes - but Dever, Chestnut and Bush oppose making businesses that receive tax subsidies, pay a wage 30% above the poverty line. And they oppose raising the minimum wage from $5.15."

Look up (Feb 12,2007) They didn't oppose it, they realize wasting time on something that is being dealt with at the STATE level. "Kansas bill would eliminate state minimum wage, prohibit local living wage laws". Look it up.

shockchalk 7 years ago

blue73harley.....You know, you could be right. As dumb as they say President Bush is, they still believe he was powerful enough to cause hurricane Katrina to flood Louisianna. I'm sure the evil developers are to blame for the alphabet.........don't worry though, the polls will close tonight and tomorrow it will be better.

blue73harley 7 years ago

I think that the evil developers and their "dirty money" are responsible for the arrangement of the letters in the alphabet.

Baille 7 years ago

"Baille--there was no conspiracy involved in how the names were on the ballot. Nobody bought their way to the top. They were in alphabetical order!"

There is no fun in that. I bought the tinfoil hat, darnit, and so I am going t o wear it.

conservative 7 years ago

Wow merrill, now you're just cutting and pasting a post from the same article word for word that you posted 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.

My prediction for the election results is:

Chestnut Dever Boog

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

Why would anyone support special interest real estate money in a local election after bitching about special interest influence in Washington D.C.? Dirty money is dirty money! This type of influence peddling creates the epitome of a conflict of interest. Not to mention unethical and irresponsible.

This reason alone made voting for Carey Maynard - Moody,Dennis"Boog" Highberger and David Schauner a matter of principle.

Michael Capra 7 years ago

log boy and merrill you have failed to disprove any of the post I have put up the guys you back have wasted more tax dollars on crapola than anyone in the history of lawrence VOTE

Chestnut

Dever

Bush

if you want your tax dollars spent the right way

log boy and merrill do you need to call 911 to put those flames out

shockchalk 7 years ago

logrithmic...............translation of your post......regardless who wins (you know who will win) I look forward to blaming the rightwing conservatives for everything that happens here in little old Lawrence and the rest of the big bad world. And pleaseeeeee, try not to lose any sleep over the fact that some of the future city commisioners go to church and believe in God. Geez, that's really one that would keep me up at night. Beware indeed, what a threat.

OK, liberal, Dumbudzo.

And Merrill, thanks for your posts. I'm a big fan, and regardless who wins, I look forward to more of your efforts to point out the obvious and pathetic ploys of the rightwing conservatives who post here.

shockchalk 7 years ago

It won't be long now............the results will be in..........

Chestnut

Dever

Bush

VICTORIOUS............even in Lawrence, common sense prevails occasionally.

Dambudzo 7 years ago

Posted by logrithmic (anonymous) on April 3, 2007 at 12:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Dumbudzo,

Geez! You can't even tell sarcasm can you?

Lulu is nothing more than a rightwing parody (caricature) of us progressives.

Get a clue little one. A 2nd grader would've picked up on that!

////////

progressives? try liberal.

ilovelucy 7 years ago

Cowboy: that would be the answer to my deepest desire.

cowboy 7 years ago

election Results Chestnut Dever Bush Win landslide

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

porkchop 7 years ago

Womyn? What is this, the eighties?

Machiavelli_mania 7 years ago

"I mean, are "womyn" like the zombies, werewolves or vampires in the old movies?"

You know: womyn- the gender that the Religious Rite LOVES to oppress. Surely you know how scary they are?

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Well, I see the "womyn" are back.

Somebody please tell me what "womyn" are!

I mean, are "womyn" like the zombies, werewolves or vampires in the old movies?

Something out of the lost works of H.P. Lovecraft, maybe?

Dumbudzo,

Geez! You can't even tell sarcasm can you?

Lulu is nothing more than a rightwing parody (caricature) of us progressives.

Get a clue little one. A 2nd grader would've picked up on that!

Machiavelli_mania 7 years ago

This water drainage district issue needs great clarity. Jamie Shew's office assures me they have nothing to do with the ballot except to present it to the voters.

NOW I wanna know how I can find out more about the water drainage district. I want a website that clarifies what they are about. I want a policy on who is eligable to vote on this issue. AND I want to demand changes to this very SHADY practice.

Dambudzo 7 years ago

lulu do you live in a house?

If so, who built it for you?

Or, did you build it yourself?

Lulu 7 years ago

I'm proud to be an anti-American bisexual anarchist leaning anti-corporate American socialist Democrat Atheist environmentalist, because at least I know I'm free.

The womyn of Lawrence will gladly stand up and vote for Boog, Cary and David to defend her still today.

'Cause there ain't no doubt we love this town, Don't mess with us on voting day.

============================================

The developturd lovers should stay home. We have the numbers and we will keep it, now and forever.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

the names are placed in different positions in each precint. BOOG is last place at South Park, BOOG is not first place at Plymouth Congregational. LOVELAND is last place at Plymouth and for good reason.

REWARD still offered for return of the brain.

The brain apparently is gone from those who think that the candidates names are placed according to some paid method.

Call corliss about the reward...visit the County offices to see copies of each precints' ballot!....TOO many on drugs in Lawrence for far too long.

Kathy Gates 7 years ago

MyName 7 years ago

Thank God! After today there will be no more retarded spams from "Election Monkee" 458casul. That's the best news I've heard all week!

BTW, if your candidates are in such a week position that you feel you have to spend large amounts of your day spamming out useless campaign rhetoric, then maybe they don't deserve to be elected. In fact, I'd say that the biggest reason I won't be voting for 2 of the 3 of them is because of "Election Monkee" 458casul.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years ago

macon47 7 years ago

If you vote at the united way building on Ridge ct. don't be scared away with the full parking lot And no place to park, they have having some Meeting and everyone parked in front (too lazy to come in from the back I guess) I doubt if they will have 50 voters by noon Cause no one can get into park

lunacydetector 7 years ago

the more people who get out and vote will mean the more the progressives will go down in flames.

get out and vote people!

Agnostick 7 years ago

Folks, realize something:

People from anywhere on the globe can post here. People from outlying areas like Overbrook, Tonganoxie, or Baldwin City. People that, ultimately, are not impacted in any way by the politics of the city you live in. Just because you spend your time shilling out useless propoganda, via "snail mail" or electronically...

...doesn't mean you actually get to vote as a member of the constituency, or pay taxes as a member of the constituency. Why do crackpots like this have an axe to grind? Who knows? But some of these folks meddling in local mattes that don't affect them... well, they might as well be trying to influence elections in Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico. It makes about as much sense.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com http://www.uscentrist.org

conservative 7 years ago

"So why were the pro-cancer-let's-make-Lawrence-into-Olathe group the top three candidates on my ballot? Did Dever, Chestnut and Bush buy their way onto the top three slots or did the powers-that-be just make it so?"

The order of candidates is rotated on a district by district basis. On my ballot the three amigos were on top. I quickly skipped down to find the candidates that I wanted to vote for.

Agnostick 7 years ago

WHERE ARE THE POSTCARDS, Capr--I mean, 458casul????

:p~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Machiavelli_mania 7 years ago

Sure wish he would run against Pat Roberts instead.

""Where is Arch Naramore when you need him?"

Well he is running for Douglas County Kaw Drainage District."

Rationalanimal 7 years ago

"Chestnut is an executive with a company who fires people for wearing Holloween ties"

I'd fire someone for wearing a Holloween tie to. Holloween sound scary.

none2 7 years ago

"Where is Arch Naramore when you need him?"

Well he is running for Douglas County Kaw Drainage District.

Machiavelli_mania 7 years ago

Isn't it interesting when businesses put up signs for candidates? It let's me know whether I will be willing to do business with them or not. My memory is still quite good, so I will remember who is rooting for the money-candidates and will avoid utilizing their services.

That happened when LAC got political with Ryun signs. Will not be going there anymore. They blew it.

Machiavelli_mania 7 years ago

I think Lawrence has lost it's quaintness, it's ability to be unique, when the westwestern expansion came about. My GOP grandfather used to call the houses they put up out there in WW Lawrence "rabbit hutches". LOL.

Needless to say, I do not trust the present GOP, on local, state, and national levels.

Where is Arch Naramore when you need him?

Dambudzo 7 years ago

I heard Boog say he was for the "little man".

That reminded me of "Homer Stokes"

Eileen Emmi Jones 7 years ago

"I don't want a Walmart any worse than the next person but it was decided in a Commission vote. Let it die, and move on to your next battle. Unfortunately, Walmart has many more dollars than this city does and they will prevail." Lucy

Perhaps easier to say if you don't live where you will be affected by the traffic snarls that Wal-Mart will make.

Put it somewhere else. That corner cannot handle the traffic. A big development is already a done deal for the cornfield, that will be 3 corners saturated with traffic. And who will pay for widening those streets? Not Wal-Mart, no can be sure of that. I'd rather spend the dollars on fighting the big bully's lawsuit than on supporting it with my tax money.

Baille 7 years ago

Eileen Emmi Jones 7 years ago

Boog David Carey

I happily cast my vote for them.

Now we'll see: Will voters vote to preserve what we love about Lawrence, or to turn it over to those who think it is just a field of ripe grain ready for their locusts, er, I mean, corporate backers.

ilovelucy 7 years ago

Log: Just curious, who do you blame the Walmart development on? Seems to me that the new Walmart building was passed under your buddies several years. That they are willing to undergo a lawsuit just shows you that they don't care how much they spend to prove their point. I don't want a Walmart any worse than the next person but it was decided in a Commission vote. Let it die, and move on to your next battle. Unfortunately, Walmart has many more dollars than this city does and they will prevail. Lucy

coneflower 7 years ago

I no longer take the men and boys in my family to get their haircuts at Amyx barber, because if he won't support Lawrence and downtown, why should I support him? I used to go out of my way to support that shop - a multi-generation family-owned business. Amyx will help destroy what his forefathers built, if enough like him join the commission.

Dambudzo: What's with ????? Those things I mentioned are the things Dever/Chestnut/Bush said NO to.

couranna1 7 years ago

ahhhhh a small town election how quaint

Redzilla 7 years ago

I don't think I could vote for anyone named Bush, even at gunpoint.

Machiavelli_mania 7 years ago

I do not care of Amyx at all. Not one iota. Can't seem to get past his massive ego. So anyone like him is out for me. Of course, that would indeed include the big-money-agenda men (!).

Dambudzo 7 years ago

cone flower

I voted for: livable neighborhoods use fees so developers help with roads, sewers wage above the poverty line for biz that get tax credits raising minimum wage some affordable housing in new developments

?????? I've voted for clean air. Pure water. Soft toilet paper.

Paper money. Schools with roofs. Two way streets. Chigger free parks. Sunsets. Public breast feeding. Blue eyes. Nibs. And Lewinski's.

person184 7 years ago

Thanks Logrithmic for all the info. I will be giving my vote to Boog, Schauner, and Maynard-Moody.

Machiavelli_mania 7 years ago

I am not voting for the persons who have raised the most campaign money. Lots of money means there is an agenda. AND I don't like money agendas.

blackwalnut 7 years ago

Posted by logrithmic (anonymous) on April 3, 2007 at 7:36 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The taxpayer should never be forced to subsidize business or "buy" jobs, like Dever, Chestnut, and Bush want to do.

The little group of developers backing these candidates are like a plague of locusts. It is our job to save Lawrence from them.

commuter 7 years ago

Blackwalnut-

Actually outside consultants profit very much from the city commission. It seems like we have to have study for everything. To me this is funny considering the city staff should be able to do the work.

blackwalnut 7 years ago

I voted for Lawrence, a city I love, and the people who live here. I voted for people who are running because the love Lawrence, and are supported by individuals, not wealthy companies who stand to profit bigtime by changing Lawrence.

Boog Highberger David Schauner Carey Maynard-Moody

cheeseburger 7 years ago

Thank you Msrs. Schauner and Highberger for your time, but your services are no longer needed.

It's time for Msrs. Bush, Dever, and Chestnut to bring respectability and responsibility back to the commission! Amyx has been trying, but has had no help to this point.

We need solid planning and decision-making - not time wasted on Dadaism and sticking our nose into the business of other municipalities.

coneflower 7 years ago

Proud to vote:

Highberger Schauner Maynard-Moody

Only my three candidates - they alone - support these things. Chestnut/Bush/Dever oppose them.

Dambudzo 7 years ago

Posted by logrithmic (anonymous) on April 3, 2007 at 7:24 a.m. (Suggest removal)

If you believe it's important to sustain our quality of life, vote David Schauner, Boog Highberger, and Carrey Maynard Moody on Tuesday! ??????????????

logy relies on others to sustain himself.

commuter 7 years ago

Log:

Have you worked in the corporate world? Have you worked in a factory before? The employees were fired because they violated a company policy and tried to get other employees to violate that policy. Generally speaking, Kansas is a right to work state menaing you can be fired from your job for no reason. If that is ok with you, fine.

By the way, this happend before Rob started.

Can you prove that Dever, Chestnut and Bush are going to side with the developers? If so, i would love to see this.

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years ago

Help is on the way!

Vote Dever, Chestnut and Bush.

macon47 7 years ago

W I R !!

WRITE IN RUNDLE !!!!!

Michael Capra 7 years ago

hey log boy you still have not proven my post false.So that must mean all your copy paste crapola is just that LIES LIES LIES

So we have to stop the wastefull spending

Chestnut

Dever

Bush

logrithmic 7 years ago

I know of many startups that did not receive any subsidies. They hung on and eventually turned the corner of success. Now the rightwing wants these successful entrepreneurs to pay to keep them in business or line their pockets with profits....

It's a sad game of bullying and lying about one's purpose.... financed by the wealthy city fathers. Sad but true.

Examples of buying jobs (there are many more. Searching on abatements brought over 1000 entries 1991):

The relevant part shown below from this article: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/1992/aug/30...

"THE FIVE firms that have qualified for tax abatements this year and the amount of investment they proposed making are:

Packer Plastics, $4 million for new equipment.

Golf Course Superintendents Association of America, $3 million for construction and $500,000 for equipment connected with a 32,000-square-foot addition to the organization's headquarters at 1421 Research Park Dr.

Kantronics Inc., $500,000 addition to its manufacturing facility at 1202 E. 23rd and $50,000 in new equipment. Pitman-Moore Inc., $1.25 million for new eqipment installed at its warehouse and distribution facility in East Hills Business Park. Douglas County Development Inc., the economic development organization that is leasing the building to Pitman-Moore last year received an abatement on the building itself, which it valued at $1.9 million.

Oread Laboratories, $6.625 million for renovation and expansion of their facility at 1501 Research Park Dr. However, the company has decided not to take advantage of the indistrial revenue bonds or tax abatements it was granted."

I encourage everyone to look at the amount of tax money the city GAVE to SOME well-heeled and well connected companies to BUY JOBS.

Simply do a search on this site using the word abatement. Most rightwingers can't spell their own name, so just cut and paste it from this post.

My search turned up 1000 articles on such giveaways. If you vote for Dever, Bush, and Chestnut, you'll see 1000 entries in the first 100 days.....

blue73harley 7 years ago

"try to close businesses that they find less than "holy," etc. "

Like the current city commission is doing to Naughty But Nice?

logrithmic 7 years ago

Are we building a city for commuters? If you vote Dever, Bush, Chestnut, you are!

I don't really care if people want to commute to their jobs and live in Lawrence. What I do care about is having my taxes rise to foot the bill. Why should I foot the bill for development? What's in it for me? For example, more available housing stock has a negative effect on existing housing prices, the houses that you and I live in.

What does development bring? Wealth and power to developturds. Plain and simple. So if you want to see your taxes funnel into the well-heeled of our community, vote Dever, Bush and Chestnut.

And remember, please, that Bush and Chestnut also represent what little there is of a Biblethumping community. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against religion. But when it crosses into government, including city government, then it has crossed the line. I believe these two might try to establish curfews, use police action more aggressively on victimless crimes, try to close businesses that they find less than "holy," etc. Beware these types of candidates. Remember what happened when these types of candidates ascended to power on the State school board....

logrithmic 7 years ago

I love saying I'm from Kansas - LAWRENCE, KANSAS. We are a blue pocket in a red state. I always point this out.

Many people around the country have a very high opinon of Lawrence.

It's a shame the rest of the state is in such disrepute. But what can you say when Biblethumpers try to impose their way of life on the rest of us???

Chestnut and Bush fit this Biblethumper mold. Watch out people. The morality police will get a strong boost from these two.

If you want to see censorship in our community and goosestepping morality, vote for these two. They stand at a nexus between money and evangelical religion - a nexus exploited and used by Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

Just finished the book Reefer Madness by Schlosser. Guess who led the campaign for censorship during the Nixon and Reagan years? Charles Keating. The very same Charles Keating that went to jail for 4 years for bilking a Savings and Loan for $2.6 BILLION dollars.

I'm not going to sit here and say that the same thing could happen with Chestnut and Bush. But these types have proven time and time again they're not to be trusted.

While they might approve the gung ho business activity of the developturds, they'll expect their pound of flesh in the free reign to censor our activities - especially in the area of the first amendment. Mark my words on this....

logrithmic 7 years ago

Here's the result of some recent investigative work done by a Lawrence citizen: The real estate development industry is giving heavily to Chestnut, Dever and Bush. Chestnut received 36% of his contributions from real estate developturds. Dever received 38% of his contributions from real estate developturds. Bush received 43% from real estate developturds.

The real estate contributors include:

Parties suing the City over the Wal-Mart development at 6th and Wakarusa.

Parties who have development plans that will go before the City Commission in the near future.

Political Action Committees for the realtors and varous building contractors.

The contributions have pushed Chestnut and Dever to the top in terms of most dollars raised. Their contributions tend to be large thus, the percentage of contributions from the real estate industry is larger than the percent of contributions.

Note that the numbers are probably undercounts. It included contributors in the real estate industry only if the counter knew the person, firm or Political Action Committee to be engaged in development within the city. There may be othes in the development industry but their names were not easily recognizable (in other words, they were disguising their contributions). Thus, the percentages shown are minimums.

The growth machine is working hard to buy this election.

Again, this community has NO interest in improving the lives of ordinary Lawrencians. Their sole interest is in making money by building subdivisions and big box retail. Do we really want to pay taxes to support this effort? If you don't, vote against these rightwing efforts and give the future of our city to people who really care.

Vote Carey Maynard Moody, David Schauner, and Boog Highberger for city commission!

logrithmic 7 years ago

If you believe it's important to pay YOUR taxes to buy jobs and subsidize wealthy developturds, vote Chestnut, Dever, and Bush.

A word about these candidates:

Chestnut is an executive with a company who fires people for wearing Holloween ties on Halloween. Is this who we want running our city?

Dever is a darling of the developturd community who has already come out in support of more development (more traffic, more congestion, more look-a-like housing, more Wal-Marts, more big box retail) that will hurt existing LOCALLY-OWNED businesses and INCREASE your property taxes. Is this what you want?

Bush is a conservative evangelical minister. You can expect a kind of Taliban in sheep's clothing as he presses for laws against "immoral" behavior.

Don't come crying when bars are snuffed out and censorship occurs.

blue73harley 7 years ago

PLC = Past Lawrence Commissioners

Bowhunter99 7 years ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years ago

"VOTE FOR Chestnut Dever Bush"

That's what I'll be doing.

Michael Capra 7 years ago

VOTE FOR Chestnut Dever Bush

the others have wasted your money by the millions

1.10 million on roundabouts wasted

2.4 million on studys wasted

3.traffic calming 1.2 million wasted

4.1.2 million in legal fees wasted

5.95000 more fore flowers wasted

6.SLT not

1. affordable housing what a joke

8.saying no to biz sales tax lost 6 to 10 million

9.schauner,boog,rundle leaving office

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PRICELESS

VOTE common sence back on the commision