Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Wal-Mart reveals design for Sixth Street location

Developers praise distinctive plans, but neighbors offer mixed reviews of proposal

August 15, 2006

The 99,840-square-feet Wal-Mart planned for the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive will feature a synthetic slate roof, a facade that features several areas designed to look like shuttered windows, synthetic stone veneer and large amounts of landscaping that includes a native grass "interpretive area."

Lawrence will have one of the more distinctively designed Wal-Marts in the country, according to company leaders and developers who unveiled designs Monday for a new store at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive.

"I would put this design up against any in the country," said Bill Newsome, a partner in the Lawrence development company that owns the property at the northwest corner of Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive. "And I mean against any retail development, not just other Wal-Marts."

The 99,840-square-feet building will feature a synthetic slate roof, a facade that features several areas designed to look like shuttered windows, synthetic stone veneer, and large amounts of landscaping that includes a native grass "interpretive area."

Neighbors invited by Wal-Mart to view the designs Monday afternoon were mixed in their responses.

"My concern has always been about the traffic, and this doesn't do anything to help traffic," said Paula Pepin, who lives in the west Lawrence neighborhood adjacent to the intersection. "I still think we're going to overload that corner."

Some area residents, though, said they were ready for the long-stalled project to move ahead.

Angie Stoner, spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, speaks about plans for a new store at 6th and Wakarusa

None

"We like it," said Bud Antle, who lives west of the proposed site. "It means we won't have to drive to the big one on South Iowa Street that is about six and a half miles away."

When the project will move forward is still an open question. City commissioners and Wal-Mart developers reached an agreement in April to avoid a trial in a lawsuit alleging the city had improperly denied Wal-Mart a building permit for the project. The project had been controversial, in part, because neighbors said the new store would overwhelm the intersection, which also serves nearby Free State High School. Developers, though, said traffic studies showed the intersection was designed to handle any projected increase in traffic.

City Commissioner David Schauner attended the Monday gathering and said he wasn't overly impressed with the design.

"It is not the layout I wanted to see," Schauner said.

Company leaders and developers who unveiled designs Monday for a new Wal-Mart store at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive say the 99,840-square-feet building will be one of the more distinctively designed Wal-Marts in the country.

He said he wanted the store to put more of its parking behind the building, rather than making the parking lot such a prominent feature of the design. He also said he was concerned the site layout would make it too easy for Wal-Mart to expand the store in the future.

City commissioners agreed to sign the agreement in April only if Wal-Mart promised to keep the store smaller than 100,000 square feet. But the agreement would not stop Wal-Mart from submitting expansion plans to a future commission.

"This shouldn't be a foot-in-the-door type of project," Schauner said.

Angie Stoner, a spokeswoman with Wal-Mart, said that wasn't the retailer's intention.

"We're focused on this project," Stoner said. "We're not looking to expand."

Stoner said Wal-Mart will take into account all the comments it has received from the community and submit an official design in the next couple of weeks for city officials to review. Stoner said once the project is approved - which could still be several months - it would take 10 to 12 months to complete construction.

"We definitely want this to be a store that fits the community of Lawrence," Stoner said.

Comments

oldgranny 8 years, 4 months ago

You can dress it up all you want. It will still be a Wal-Mart. The service will still be poor and the clothing will still be poor quality. The bathrooms will still stink. And if you run in there for just one item you can almost bet your bottom dollar they will be out of that item.

tell_it_like_it_is 8 years, 4 months ago

Wal-Mart is one place I avoid at all costs. I really don't care if it costs me ten cents more somewhere else. Its money well spent as far as I'm concerned.

road_to_nowhere 8 years, 4 months ago

If you don't like Wal-Mart, DON'T SHOP THERE. If you think Wal-Mart doesn't treat it's employees right, DON'T WORK THERE. If everyone who complained about Wal-Mart actually followed this little advice, Wal-Mart would actually do something about their customer relations, and employee relations.

BrianR 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't care. It's Wal-Mart and it needs to be gone. rtn, duh.

conservative 8 years, 4 months ago

I love all the comments from the commission recently about putting parking in the back of all the stores. Obviously they don't understand the necessity of unloading trucks to businesses. Walmart could quite easily put all customer parking in the back of the building, as long as the commission doesn't mind the front of the building being dock doors and the cabs of trucks being unloaded.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 4 months ago

Why not put the parking and the truck docks at the back of the building?

pz5g1 8 years, 4 months ago

Let's require all homes to have their driveways moved to the back, too.

Sigmund 8 years, 4 months ago

So all you Walmart and Big Oil haters, why not let Walmart beat up Big Oil for you?

Gas stations where you can purchase ethanol are few and far between today, that is why Wal-Mart wants to sell ethanol. Wal-Mart sees green. The retailing giant is placing bets on an environmentally friendly future.

More than 5 million vehicles on U.S. roads today can run on ethanol - a renewable fuel that comes from corn - as well as gasoline. US automakers recently announced plans to double their annual production of so-called flex fuel vehicles by 2010. It's the single largest commitment to renewable fuels in the history of the auto industry.

That's because running cars and trucks on E85, a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline, could turn out to be a cost-effective way to reduce the carbon emissions and curb our dependency on imported oil. You won't be surprised to learn that the big oil companies are not, as a rule, interested in selling E85. But Wal-Mart is.

Full article on CNN/Money is here: http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/08/news/companies/pluggedin_gunther.fortune/index.htm

On a related note I can barely wait for new Walmart to start competeing with the Merc. They are also making the move to organic foods. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11977666/

The Merc won't last three years, at the MOST. Now you may finally get a clue as to why certain members of the Lawrence City Kommission are REALLY opposed to the new Walmart. Afterall this City Kommission is strapped for sales tax revenues. Building roundabouts and running nearly empty busses are expensive not to mention very environmentally unfriendly.

MWIV 8 years, 4 months ago

It's still a Wal-Mart. Makes no difference. I don't shop there because of both poor service and it is too crowded with merchandise. Has a fire marshall ever been to one of these places? I will pass over going there just like I do to Dillions. I don't like their two price system. One if you are a regular and another if you are a visitor. I love my Hy-Vee. Wal-Mart will be just another drive-by for me.

conservative 8 years, 4 months ago

bozo, 2 good reasons,

1st the trucks take up a lot of room and even more room when they are in the process of backing up to the dock. Therefore it would limit the amount of parking close to the building and everyone already complains about not being able to park close enough in the packed parking lots at walmart.

2nd, it would be dangerous having all the customers that close to the truckers while they are trying to maneuver their trucks.

imagold 8 years, 4 months ago

If you're concerned about how that end of town looks, quit building cookie-cutter houses out there that are all painted a lovely shade of tan whose garage is thrust beyond the front of the house for everyone to admire. Those sure are purty. Same with the traffic. No houses, no cars. I find the savings are more than a dime and even so, all those 10 cent savings add up. I can't wait for this Wal-Mart to open.

Reid Hollander 8 years, 4 months ago

As a person that works for a a construction company that has built several Wal-Marts I can testify to the fact that they are not in any way enviromentally friendly. If they were they would insist on building their structures to comply with some sort of LEED criteria.

Secondly, there is no reason one could not put loading docks in the back of the building with the customer parking. Most deliveries are made in the middle of the night and there are never more than 5 or 6 trucks at a time. Wal-Mart likes to have it's parking lots in front to convey how much business they do.

Lastly, of course The Merc would be out of business if they had to compete with Wal-Mart. Sigmund - have you ever taken any kind of business class? This is elementery stuff in college business classes...DON'T COMPETE WITH WAL-MART! One of the reasons my wife and I moved to lawrence was because of the value it places on local entrepreneurship. Lawrence should not allow this or it will end up just like the town I grew up in with a ghost town setting downton.

cowboy 8 years, 4 months ago

Yes it seems that a couple of the commission members may have a small conflict here. If walmart puts in organic the ripoff Merc will fall quickly.

Secondly after the last round of legal costs I think Mr. Schnauer ought to shut the hell up unless he'd like to personally pay the legal fees from his own pocket instead of the taxpayers !

Noweigh 8 years, 4 months ago

Let's have Wal-Mart pull out of town completely. That'll really be great watching prices on routine household items soar through the roof. Wal Mart is successful because they've responded to strong, deep demand by the everyday consumer.

Those of you that don't like them, remember there are plenty of full priced retail establishments around for you to buy everything from toothpaste to garbage bags. Have fun.

trinity 8 years, 4 months ago

what the hell does a grassy "interpretive area" mean? just curious.

monkeyhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps Shauner wants parking in back so nobody can see how much business the store draws. Also, could just be a smoke screen to drag the groundbreaking on and on. It seems curious that after spending hundreds of thousands of your tax dollars on a futile, "ideal" fight, that WalMart would just say "ok" after given permission to build. Was there NO monetary settlement to WalMart for the wrong imposed by our leaders?

chzypoof1 8 years, 4 months ago

It's funny that you guys are badgering walmart for parking....Target's lot is HUGE. You don't say anything about theirs. Kohl's lot is massive. Whatever happened to Free Enterprise? If a company can build, and people buy their products, then they should be able to. If you don't want to shop there, then don't! At least they are trying to appease the richy rich people out there at Wakarusa by making it a bland tan building. Just like all of your cookie cutter $400k houses.

jayheel 8 years, 4 months ago

So dramatic.

I think the real problem is further separation of Lawrence. West vs South. East was left out long ago. Downtown will turn eventually turn into the bar and tourist district...not bad for college students and their parents...but not very attractive for locals.

For every suburban fringe retail and residential project, there should be a urban core infill project too.

WalMart is here to stay, folks...and more importantly, their business model and practices.

jafs 8 years, 4 months ago

I believe that the previous city commission gave Wal-Mart the green light despite the proposed development being in violation of zoning regulations at the time. That's why the current commission fought them. I'm not sure why the developer is so proud of this design - "synthetic" this and that, something that "looks like" shuttered windows, etc. Wal-Mart succeeds as a business because it provides many consumer goods at low prices. It does this partly by paying its' workers low wages and no benefits. Five of the ten richest people in the country are members of the Walton family. Something is very out of balance here, and I would have thought that one huge Wal-Mart store would have been enough for Lawrence.

Adrienne Sanders 8 years, 4 months ago

Do you all really think that the type of person who shops at the Merc will shop at Wal-Mart for organic produce? I don't. Merc shoppers (esp. members) are exactly the type of people who will not shop at W.M., on principle.

Some of us don't make enough money to choose where we shop on principle. If I go to Target instead of WalMart and stock up paper towels, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. I spend $10-$20 more all told. To someone with a tight budget, that $20 is more important than whether I like WalMart's business practices.

SouthernBelle 8 years, 4 months ago

You guys can just put on your big floppy hats and dark sunglasses, and maybe your neighbors won't recognize you.

I was wondering about the "native grass interpretive area" as well...? At a Walmart?

For heaven's sakes.

Bud Stagg 8 years, 4 months ago

If they move the cars and trucks to the back, doesn't it become the front?

I don't like walmart either, but I will defend their right in our American system to offer a job and sell a product at whatever price they want.

If the customers and employees go there, then it works.

chzypoof1 8 years, 4 months ago

Ram, I live in a nice house on the East side of town. I just think it's sad that people spend that kind of $$$ on a house that looks like everyone else's!!

And to the people still complaining about walmart ruining other businesses....I thought that's what makes this country great: freedom. Free enterprise. If no one shops at walmart, they will fail....but everyone shops there because the "small businesses" you are referring to are the overpriced, overprotected businesses downtown.

Don't get me wrong, I like walking downtown, but I can't afford to shop down there, like a lot of people. Buying the same item for 25% more just because the business is "downtown" doesn't make the product better, or make me a better citizen.

Our city commission needs to concentrate on building this city up around the population needs, or this town will become an overcrowded failure. I love lawrence, and I don't want that to happen.

Viva La Trafficway :)

Rationalanimal 8 years, 4 months ago

80% of the people critical of Wal-mart are closet hypocrits. You all know you go to the evil empire, and why, because you are an economically self-interested being. I love Wal-mart. There are certain things I never buy there, mainly clothes and shoes. But, things like toiletries and movies are excellent.

If your really that teed off, don't go. Wal-mart could never survive in a town like Lawrence if the majority of its residents didn't go there on a regular basis.

chzypoof1 8 years, 4 months ago

I"m happy for you Andini. I'm glad that you have strayed so far from the "Tan" housing. It makes a difference, I assure you.

The roundabout is a great idea! Roundabouts solve all of our traffic issues.

And that's great the you CHOOSE to go to Target. So you should have nothing to complain about. You are a consumer, and you made a choice. Of course, they still have a HUGE parking lot :(

chzypoof1 8 years, 4 months ago

Me - I'm gonna dig a hole in a field, fill it with stinky water

Hippies - Oh you mean a wetland?

Me - Yeah, if that's what you call it.

Hippies - Oh, it's so beautiful

conservative 8 years, 4 months ago

bialy, you're confusing me with conservativeman again. Stop smoking the grass and go back to interpreting it. :P

chzypoof1 8 years, 4 months ago

You're right, they DO require the parking lots, but yet they want to complain about it. Our commission is brilliant.

And I'm glad you picked the white, it stands out from the masses :)

conservative 8 years, 4 months ago

bialy, I guess I was caught up on the rockets part at the end (thought that was his thing) The rest of the post was funny.

monkeyhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

"this is the same design under development all over the country as "lifestyle centers." The idea is to make it look like an old-fashioned downtown...not a real downtown like ours, but the small-town downtown people see in the movies. It's all fake, fake, fake. America=Disneyworld."

Also called "new urbanism", (or Hobbs Lofts), modeled after the smart growth plan so embraced by your progressive city commission that you are so enamored with.

chzypoof1 8 years, 4 months ago

Green with tan trim...only one of that color in my area...it's not that big of a deal on the color....I'm just sad that most decisions made in this city are either for downtown, or for the West Side.

I realize that's where the people with $$$, thus influence, live, but there are others in this town too

hockmano 8 years, 4 months ago

They want to put all the parking lots in the back of the stores,......you can't smoke inside anywhere's anymore.......you can't have anything but lawn furniture on your porch.....they tried to outlaw cell phones while driving.....they don't like the Home Depot sign.......pretty soon they will want me to contact them everytime I have to go take a (you know what)!!!!!!!!

DaREEKKU 8 years, 4 months ago

It still looks like a cheap strip mall. What a sad and pathetic existance...

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 4 months ago

I just love a good Wal-Mart discussion...

The thing that cracks me up the most is when Bud Antle said that he liked it because "It means we won't have to drive to the big one on South Iowa Street that is about six and a half miles away."

Judging by this, you'd think that ole' Bud had to WALK that six and a half miles. Seriously, how taxing is it to sit on your arse and drive six whole miles?!?!

lunacydetector 8 years, 4 months ago

just think....having a walmart on the west side of town will be helping the environment by hurting big oil because people won't be wasting gas driving across town.

what will the 3 amigos do, now that their failed bid to prevent walmart from coming here has failed? after blowing $250,000 of the taxpayers' dollars on a frivolous lawsuit, think about all the millions of dollars these jokers have lost or spent on their pet projects. yes, they ran on an anti-walmart platform, and they don't want growth at any cost. high property taxes, over-valued housing due to growth prevention, and NO jobs in the private sector, ban this and ban that, i hope the population is happy that elected these 'guys.'

lawrence, kansas is the most liberal community in the state of kansas YET lawrence, kansas is the MOST restrictive community in kansas.

....parking in the BACK of the building? why, so nobody will want to go there? people like to see cars in the parking lot at an establishment. it draws customers in, YET it is suggested that the parking should be in the back so people what, walk around the building? doesn't it matter that hurting sales is a detriment to the city's coffers? guess it doesn't matter, they can raise our property taxes again, and again, and again...or just increase the values of our houses - same thing.

yet another example of lawrence, kansas being.... business UNfriendly

bunnyhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Haven't you morons noticed that whereever you travel in America, every town has exactly the same stores with exactly the same merchandise? Wow, what progress! Everybody can buy the same crappy stuff made and sold by people earning less than subsistence wages..........yessir.........that's progress............and no doubt just what W thinks of when he yabbers on about dumocracy!!!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Andini-

I don't know how you got away with the trailer park comment. I stereotype trailer parks all of the time on here and get thoroughly bashed.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Probably. Or else people just don't like me. Or both.

mztrendy 8 years, 4 months ago

I guess I don't see how lots of you claim walmart sells crappy things. If I'm in need of toilet paper, soap, shampoo, etc Walmart is the place to go. Its not any crappier than Target, yet a lot cheaper. Same with groceries. I can't wait for the grocery to open out on Iowa, because it is so much cheaper. And I don't live in a trailer park, I don't stink, and I'm not really "hurting" for money. I must admit, I don't buy myself clothing there, but I have a 4 year old and an 8 year old, and a husband who work outside and the clothes there are fine for the three of them. I also don't go to Walmart to "people watch" like some of you must. Who cares if people stink, or dress poorly? If they are at Target instead of Walmart, does that make them better people? There is really a very simple solution to all of this. If you don't like Walmart for whatever reason, just don't go there. If you prefer to wear Abercrombie, JcPenney's or whatever it is you choose, have at it. Don't judge the people that choose Walmart. Its not all I can afford, its where I choose to go. Everything is a choice. If you love the Merc, go there. If you prefer downtown, go there. I don't think this Walmart is going to hurt downtown. I think what is going to hurt downtown, is downtown. At Walmart I have never had to step over a homeless person to enter the store. I've never had someone ask me for money outside of Walmart, nor have I ever felt in danger at walmart. I'm all for it. And if I weren't, I would just not go there. And not complain about it.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

Remember sports fans about the environmental compliance issues that they have to comply with.

Storm water runoof, the site is larger than 5 ac. Asbestos inspections on al the buildings that are going to be demo'ed. This includes the residences because the use is or has been changed to "commercial".

There is also the EIA that must be done if there is any filling of the area.

Under the Dept. of AG. there are Water quality standards that require the sign off by a professional engineer if the area has a fill elevation change of greater than 4 feet. ALL the drainage requirements must be met, AND there must be a reasonable determination if the project will change drainage of the other "wtersheds" in the area.

This is under "watershed protection" state rules. Bet they are gonna welch out on those.

I don't care if the project is done or not, but if they are going to do it, they need to do it right and legal.

When these regulations are NOT FOLLOWED, these are the areas that flood, or don't have enough "sewage capacity", etc, ad infinitium.

The DEVELOPER is to make sure these things are done. We DO NOT need a promise and have "skippy" the developer leave us holding the bag, when it floods all the time, or there is major water shed impacts, as well as other environmental issues.

Don't forget, about the employee safety regulations, bet they hire the low bid, and it is a lot of illegal workers, doing whatever it takes to get it done. Watch, call OSHA or the EPA, (Federal not regional, those guys are dolts) and watch so nothing gets by.

I will bet there are some unknown USTs there as well.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by mztrendy (anonymous) on August 15, 2006 at 2:36 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yeah, by choosing to not go there the store will magically disappear and not be built and not cause harm to the neighborhood, the intersection, the environment, etc. It's not as simple as just not shopping there. It's as simple as not putting the store in that or any other location.

The only location where putting in a Wal-Mart would be an improvement would be leveling a trailer park and putting it there. If they can push a few meth labs out of town permanently, they have my blessing to put in a Wal-Mart.

mztrendy 8 years, 4 months ago

But you alone are not going to fix it. You stating your opinions on this website, are not going to fix it. Its going to go there regardless. So if you don't like it, don't go there.

blessed3x 8 years, 4 months ago

So far I've seen Wal-Mart customers referred to as trailer trash, dirty, stinky, poor and a host of other negative adjectives. All this from the folks that claim to have brought us compassion and tolerance.

Interesting.

Sigmund 8 years, 4 months ago

No one in their right mind would compete with Walmart, true. And I might add you needn't spend 6 semesters in Summerfield Hall getting an MBA to know that. But when Walmart has decided to compete in Lawrence and offer organics and bean sprouts, the Merc, Dillons, and Hy-Vee had no choice. Guess which of those is the most vulnerable?

I hate the Merc and the pompous self righteous "we are more moral" attitudes of their employees and their customers. You are not more moral but you are alot more judgmental than any fundamentalist Christians I know! The fact that a City Kommissioner with an obvious conflict of interest wastes tax dollars trying to protect The Merc from competition is both hypocritical and immoral. I want the Merc to fail more than I want the Walmart to succeed, which it will.

But to brighten your liberal day I will share this. Walmart today posted its first earnings loss in the last ten years. That said, the Merc will be gone in THREE years after Walmart opens unless it changes its business. Maybe selling bowling shoes made of 100% hemp is a business that Walmart won't compete in.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

You must be speaking of someone else, because I have no compassion or tolerance. What folks are you referring to?

And mztrendy, I won't be going there. Although, if I ever become homeless I may think about digging through their trash for something to eat. I bet the scraps of billionaires taste pretty good. I bet it tastes like McDonalds or mexican food.

Sigmund 8 years, 4 months ago

The level of the hysteria of the Merc supporters is directly proportional to their level of fear that Walmart will do a better job with higher quality at a lower price than the Merc. Their fear is well justified! Not only that, but I would bet that the average Walmart employee will make more money and get better benefits than the average Merc employee.

caxap 8 years, 4 months ago

The arguments about the city council protecting the Merc make some sense to me. I frequently hear arguments about WalMart destroying the downtown community. WalMart has no impact on downtown Lawrence business. There isn't a single grocery store downtown... unless you want to count Dillons on 17th & Mass., and the people in North Lawrence don't have a grocery store anywhere close to them (Most of them shop at checkers). The only department store downtown is Weavers... so who is worried about being put out of business by WalMart? It could only be businesses that rely on customers travelling from 6th & Wak to shop at their stores. Right now that is either a grocery store or a department store.

caxap 8 years, 4 months ago

Also, I go to WalMart several times a month to drop off my recycling. Not everything about WalMart is bad... That is a great service they provide to our community.

lawrencephilosopher 8 years, 4 months ago

I do not care how they design it. I t will still look like a rear end!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by caxap (anonymous) on August 15, 2006 at 4:14 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Recycling is their gimmick to draw your attention away from the negatives. I'm all for recycling, don't get me wrong. But all those recycling dumpsters are only there to cover up the hidden tunnels where they smuggle in their illegal employees.

Sigmund 8 years, 4 months ago

Taking one comment out of context from my post that explained the "why" is a cheap shot and most people see through that. Walmart may have everyday low prices but the Merc supporters have everyday low blows.

As for Capitalism, you may wish to pay higher prices for lesser quality at the Merc and certainly the lines will be shorter and the aisles will be less crowded after Walmart comes to town, so they will have that. But nothing will take the sour taste out of my mouth left by the cheap, double-dealing, disingenuous tactics used by the anti-Walmart pro-Merc crowd. Had the City Kommission come out and said, "We don't want Walmart because the Merc will go out of business" well that is one thing and at least it is honest. But to pretend there is some great high moral principle behind their opposition when it is little more than greed is just ..... pathetic.

larrybill 8 years, 4 months ago

I LOVE WALMART. THEY SHOULD BUILD ONE ON EVERY OTHER BLOCK. THAT WOULD RUN ALL OF THOSE LOCAL OWNERS THAT CHEAT ON TAXES OUT OF BUISNESS.

THANKS LB

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

Bailey:

"Hezbollah: rockets"

NOW that WAS FUNNY! Loved it!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by Andini (anonymous) on August 15, 2006 at 4:31 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I doubt if some of their employees could even fit through the hidden tunnels.

Funny! But, I bet the larger ones are unfortunately Americans.

blessed3x 8 years, 4 months ago

swbsow,

No, I think it's just called sand and that's fine by me. Leave the "interpretive grassland" areas for the hippies, I just want to save $20 on my groceries.

kg52 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow! Another "best - most unique, blah blah blah" Walmart - the new one in North Topeka that is under construction is supposed to be the best - how disappointing. What I am waiting for is for them to get Rochester road opened - it was supposed to be open at the end of June and is still closed. (It is Hell getting to K-mart).l Hope you all don't have the same problem with 6th or Wakarusa - now that would be catastrophic! Though it will be miles closer I will continue to shop there about as often as I do now - actually I use the one in Lawrence about as much - when my dog and cat run out of treats (they don't like the K-Mart brand!)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 4 months ago

"Not only that, but I would bet that the average Walmart employee will make more money and get better benefits than the average Merc employee."

Yea, Sigmund, a completely locally owned and managed business that pays all its workers a living wage is truly a dispicable thing.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

I have only valid opinions....What's your beef with trailer parks? Most people who live in them do not want to be there....They are the gap measure between renting and owning a home.....True, the people who seem to love the trailer parks are descendents of carnies, but then again I am suprised there are not more trailer parks in this town considering the crap wages....

stacy 8 years, 4 months ago

they can do what ever they like to it. wal-mart is my fave. store to shop at. i can all ways find what i need. most of the time. lol

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

rednek-

What do I have against trailer parks?

meth labs drugs fire traps abusers lazy people welfare moochers over-abundance of cats and reptiles abandoned cars and bicycles plywood or aluminum foil window coverings prostitution lazy people, again lack of teeth in mouths mullets moo moos plasma TV's but no food in the house dirty, neglected children dogs on chains lazy people, again

I would rather rent a home or apartment than own a trailer. And I agree that there could easily be more trailer parks here because of the cost of living and low wages. Let's hope we don't see that.