The Lawrence City Commission will consider extending the moratorium that is blocking construction of a Wal-Mart at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive.
The moratorium was put in place last spring, and is part of the reason Wal-Mart and 6Wak Land Investments, the property owner, have filed six lawsuits against the city. The ordinance under consideration would extend the construction ban until May 1.
- Proclaim Friday to be Support Local Business Day.
- Approve Feb. 10 City Commission meeting minutes.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Feb. 9 Traffic Safety Commission meeting; Nov. 19 Human Relations Commission meeting; Jan. 4 Smoking Task Force meeting.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve drinking establishment licenses for Old Chicago, 2329 Iowa; El Mezcal Restaurant II, 4821 W. Sixth St.; Bubba's, 2228 Iowa; The Pool Room, 925 Iowa.
- Approve retail liquor license for Hird Retail Liquor, 601 Kasold Drive.
- Approve street vendor license for Sheridan's Frozen Custard at the southwest corner of Ninth and Massachusetts streets.
- Approve appointments of Mike Higgins and Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical Lt. Russell Brickell to the Board of Electrical Examiners and Appeals; Scott Woodward to the Business Retention Task Force; Judi Geer Kellas and Paul Hotvedt to the Lawrence Arts Commission; Dr. Tom Liebel to the Lawrence-Douglas County Public Health Board; and Bryan Wyatt to the Mechanical Code Board of Appeals.
Bid and purchase items:
- Authorize the city manager to execute the Engineering Services Agreement with Landplan Engineering for the design of Monterey Way from Stetson Drive to Grand Vista Drive; Peterson Road from Monterey Way to Kasold Drive; and the intersection of Kasold Drive and Peterson Road, including street and waterline design, for $415,740.
- Approve bid from Hillcrest Wrecker and Garage Inc. for a one-year contract with the option to renew for an additional year for $26,455 (police/patrol).
Adopt the following ordinances on first reading:
- Ordinance No. 7749, establishing no parking along the south side of 25th Street between Cedarwood Avenue and Ridge Court and to permit parking along the north side.
- Ordinance No. 7604, text amendment to Section 21-104(a), City/County Subdivision Regulation requiring subdivision plats within the city of Lawrence to include all contiguous land under the same ownership.
- Ordinance No. 7745, levying the maximum assessments on lots, pieces and parcels of land in the city of Lawrence, to pay a portion of the costs for the construction of Folks Road from Sixth Street south about 1,500 feet to Mulberry Drive, Old Oak Court, and a part of Larissa Drive from Folks Road about 200 feet west; including property acquisition, traffic calming devices, bicycle facilities, subgrade stabilization, stormwater improvements and other necessary and appropriate improvements, as authorized by Resolution 6512.
- Adopt on second reading Ordinance No. 7740, rezoning 5,000 square feet from multiple family residential district to limited commercial district, property at 1703/1711 W. Sixth St.
- Adopt Resolution No. 6527, authorizing and approving Agreement No. 18-04 with the Kansas Department of Transportation for Sixth Street from Arizona to Arkansas streets, mill overlay and pavement marking. This project is funded by the Kansas Department of Transportation up to $200,000.
Adopt findings of fact; approve rezoning and annexation requests; authorize drafting of ordinances for placement on future agenda:
- Annexation request for about 30 acres of land, north of Clinton Parkway and east 926 feet from Kansas Highway 10. Submitted by Peridian Group Inc. for Yankee Tank Investors, Yankee Tank Investors L.C. and Alvamar Inc., property owners of record.
- A request to rezone a tract of land about 19 acres from limited business to multiple family residential district. The property is generally described as north of Clinton Parkway and 508 feet east of K-10 right of way. Submitted by The Peridian Group Inc. for Yankee Tank Investors, Yankee Tank Investors L.C. and Alvamar Inc., property owners of record.
- A request to rezone a tract of land approximately 20 acres from limited business to multiple family residential district. The property is generally described as north of Clinton Parkway and 508 feet east of K-10 right of way. Submitted by The Peridian Group Inc. for Yankee Tank Investors, Yankee Tank Investors L.C. and Alvamar Inc., property owners of record.
Approve the following site plans, subject to conditions:
- A revised site plan to allow for a 141,653-square-foot building addition for an existing industrial manufacturer of garage doors at 3820 Greenway Circle in the East Hills Business Park. The property is zoned general industrial district. Submitted by Landplan Engineering for Amarr Garage Door Group.
- Site plan for a minor alteration to existing development at 846 Ill. for the relocation of Rick's Place. Submitted by Rick Younger with permission from Steve Neher, property owner of record.
- Authorize mayor to execute two dedications of right of way and a utility easement for Harvard Road in the Fox Chase South Plat.
- Authorize staff to submit an application for federal aid from the Federal Aid Safety Program for fiscal years 2006-2007 for these intersections: Ninth and Iowa streets, 23rd and Harper streets, 23rd Street and Haskell Avenue, and 23rd and Louisiana streets.
- City manager's report.
Regular agenda items
- Receive draft ordinance from Lawrence Safe Kids Coalition concerning requirements for helmet use.
- Consider extension of moratorium of building permits in the area generally bounded by West Sixth Street, Folks Road, Overland Drive and Congressional Drive until May 1. Consider declaration of emergency to allow for adoption on first and second reading.
- Consider approving a preliminary development plan for 6Wak Apartments, subject to conditions and use restrictions. The applicant proposes a multiple-family residential development containing 236 apartments on 17.57 acres. The property is north of West Sixth Street and west of Congressional Drive. Submitted by The Peridian Group Inc. for 6Wak, property owners of record.
- Consider motion to recess into executive session to discuss the possible acquisition of real estate. The justification for the executive session is to keep possible terms and conditions confidential at this time. The regular session will resume in the meeting room in 30 minutes.