The bottom line
The Lawrence City Commission will consider granting a waiver from city codes to allow PepperJax Grill, 947 N.H., to serve alcohol within 400 feet of a church -- in this case, the Salvation Army across the street.
The Salvation Army says it will oppose the waiver, but city officials say tax revenues generated by the restaurant will be a factor in their considerations.
- Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Jan. 27.
- Receive minutes from various boards and commissions: Sesquicentennial Commission meetings of Oct. 22 and Jan. 21.
- Approve all claims.
- Approve licenses as recommended by the Department of Administrative Services.
- Approve appointments as recommended by the mayor.
- Set a bid opening date of Feb. 24 for the waterline projects.
- Adopt on first reading Ordinance No. 7746, establishing a 35 mph speed limit on Riverridge Road between Iowa Street and Michigan Street.
Adopt the following ordinances on second and final reading:
- Ordinance No. 7737 rezoning portions of lots 7-11 & 20-22, block one, Stonegate subdivision, from single-family residential to duplex-residential district, and portions of lots 35-44, block one, Stonegate subdivision, from duplex-residential to single-family residential district.
- Ordinance No. 7741 rezoning approximately 1.05 acres to revise the restrictions of planned commercial development district zoning to include contractor or construction office/shop in property at the intersection of West Sixth Street and Comet Lane.
- Ordinance No. 7596, adopting the codification of ordinances of the city of Lawrence.
- Ordinance No. 7743, establishing certain requirements for the placement of public sanitary sewer mains and private sanitary sewer lines.
Adopt the following resolutions:
- Resolution No. 6523, establishing a special assessment benefit district for drainage and stormwater improvements, including the acquisition of certain property interests on or near the Orchards Golf Course, north of West 15th Street, east of Lawrence Avenue.
- Resolution No. 6524, declaring 731 W. 25th St. environmentally blighted, ordering the property owner to remove the blight within 20 days of said resolution. Failure of the property owner to comply will result in the city removing the violations.
- Receive letter from Amarr Garage Doors requesting changes to the tax abatement performance agreement concerning ownership name change and property acquisition costs.
- Authorize mayor to execute deferred special assessment agreements with Eric L. and Colleen Hodge for two separate tracts on the east side of the planned improvement of Folks Road, south of West Sixth Street.
- City manager's report: Receive presentation from Karen Reed, recruiting specialist, on the city of Lawrence diversity training.
- Conduct public hearing on request for waiver from Section 4-206 of the city code from PepperJax Grill, 947 N.H., Suite 120, for a drinking establishment license.