Advertisement

Discussions

Reader comments

On What did you think about KU’s student recruitment process?

Comments

Wesley Willis 2 years, 2 months ago

They came on a little strong. But I'll still give them a call someday :) especially if they buy one of my cds or drawins

Richard Heckler 2 years, 2 months ago

City Hall is using this wild $40 million fieldhouse concept as a tool to recruit new students to which I say is garbage.

I do not believe it is the local taxpayers job to recruit KU students. That is KU's job. Not only that KU has had record high enrollments without nonsense tax dollar spending so I say there are no grounds for City Hall's claim.

Cost of tuition and academic potential are the movers and shakers. KU has its' own very nice accommodations on campus.

carrie51 2 years, 2 months ago

As few years ago, my daughter was a high school senior looking at K-State. For months, every few weeks, she got a phone call, hand-written note, or some other encouraging contact from KSU. When she was accepted, the Dean of Students personally called her to welcome her to KSU.

The very next year, my son was interested in KU. The different was startling: absolutely NO contact of any kind to encourage him to attend KU. He attended KU anyway and had a great experience, due to his fraternity.

Both of these kids made good grades, but had to work for them. Neither of them got any awards or scholarships to either KU or KSU. In a nutshell, the recruiting process at KSU was awesome; the recruiting process at KU stunk!

parrothead8 2 years, 2 months ago

Would you rather KU used their money to recruit your son or educate your son?

Eddie_Haskell 2 years, 2 months ago

I've heard it's turning into a one and done situation. They're starting to go after first graders. I don't remember getting recruited. In fact, when I was a Senior in HS they started some rumor that KU would be full for the next 10 years. I got recruited by all the second rate frats. You could drink EVERYTHING at those parties back then. Smoke stuff, too. I threw up a lot.

Bruce Kallmeyer could kick a football 300 yards. Unfortunately he couldn't kick it any shorter. Never played in an NFL game. Not one.

Nolan Cromwell as KU Head Football Coach. Wet freakin' dream! This new joker doesn't fit in here at all. I'd even settle for Kerwin Bell. He couldn't do any worse than Turner Allen.

rockchalker52 2 years, 2 months ago

I've heard & read similar examples of carrie51's story way more than once. Too bad the folks on the hill don't seem to pay attention.

Wright's applewood bacon is good stuff. I bet that's what KSU uses to entice the youngsters.

Rex Hargis 2 years, 2 months ago

Nolan Cromwell-nice guy, good DB-didn't really want to be a QB but 'took one for the team.' A forgotten Jayhawk, in the same vein, Harry Sydney.

kuguardgrl13 2 years, 2 months ago

Being from Minnesota, I didn't get anything from KU until I showed up for a campus tour (thanks to a co-worker of my mom whose daughter was at KU at the time). Then I got a couple of postcards and a few emails. I applied pretty early and was accepted right away. They paid more attention to me when I was making my decision between schools. Minnesota sent me an application but not much else. I mostly got stuff from little private religious schools in Iowa. The state schools don't need to do a lot of recruiting to get their name out there. People in the midwest know KU is around. Does your kid need as much attention as an athlete in order to make a decision? Get used to the idea that you're not special to any school unless you're an athlete or a Rhodes Scholar. Graduating with honors in Kansas? You can probably do better than KU or KSU. If you want information about KU, go to the website, go to the college info fairs and meetings that happen all the time in the fall, call the admissions office, visit campus, or talk to students. A postcard isn't going to tell you much about a school.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.