LJWorld.com weblogs yayarea

Occupiers Wichita Style

What I wish I'd said. . . but I best start with what was said in a respectful exchange over the patio fence at Hero's last Friday night in Wichita's Old Town. . .

I engaged a small parade of chanting protesters by asking them what it is they want. One twenty-something, former student said, "I did every thing right--I went to college, got a degree, now i can't get a job and i need my teeth fixed." I asked, "Do you expect someone listening to fix them, is that what you want? "No, i just want it to be equal in America--for it to be fair." "Revolution!" piped in the girl beside him with the sign about Justice. "What does that mean to you?" I asked her. "Do you want to replace capitalism?" Before she could answer the quiet boy behind her chimed in, "Yeah, Capitalism is evil!" To which the former student and sign girl, snapped in unison, "No it's not!" Ok, so they did not have the narrative in sync. And maybe some of the group had nothing else going on that Friday night, but something pulled them together--there was a plan to show up at least. So i asked, "Who is funding this protest?" "No one. This is a grassroots thing. And come tomorrow because we are going to have free food!" said the guy with no job.

I told them all I am worried about them because I do know who is funding them and they are being used. Big time in a small town. Well, we talked for about 15 minutes and my son who was sitting at the outdoor table with me took photos because we were getting more attention from the patio crowd than the local contestants of Dancing with the Stars

We parted with a hand shake and the young man who hopes for new dental work from the Revolution said, "I appreciate people like you who actually talk with us and express another point of view. I mean I want to evaluate what we are doing and if I am thinking right." Brilliant! And that young man gave me a little hope. However, i wish I had given him more than a conversation; I wish I had given him a list of books to read while he is unemployed, books he probably didn't read in college. And would recommend some research on Van Jones, Frances Fox Piven and Cass Sunstein to name a very few and what they have to do with the Wall Street protests and who indeed supports them.

The reading list would include:

The Shadow Party by David Horowitz and Richard Poe

5000 Year Leap by W Cleon Skousen

" Letter from Birmingham Jail" by Martin Luther King Jr.

The Black Book of Communism by Mark Kramer

Modern Times by Paul Johnson

History puts today's headlines in context. Research reveals the players and the pawns. In this country, we still have a choice who we side with. For good or ill.

Check out a fascinating interview of Wall Street Occupiers:

Comments

Franklin 3 years, 2 months ago

It is people like you that give me hope this country will not lose its way. God bless you.

Mike Ford 3 years, 2 months ago

you can call people fleabaggers all day....I have to laugh at the dimwits who didn't realize what teabags were associated with in the correctional facilities. Dumb america......

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 2 months ago

It is really sad the way Universities churn out graduates, full well knowing that there are more graduates than their are jobs. Higher education is a business interested in its own survival. Delusions of grandure are implanted in the heads of the students, while at the same time bilking them for their cash, running up student loans and credit cards. Look at the many worthless degrees that are offered. Education costs are some 4 times that of medical care, yet there is no outrage over that cost. Placement offices, from what I have seen, are state workers with no incentive to assist those who have left huge amounts of cash at the Universities.

RoeDapple 3 years, 2 months ago

"It is really sad the way Universities churn out graduates, full well knowing that there are more graduates than their are jobs."

Really? I say 50% of all college graduates were in the bottom half of their class. Nice to know there is a surplus to choose from, be it of doctors, lawyers or teachers. "Protester" is hardly a job qualification found high on the list of potential employers.

dontsheep 3 years, 2 months ago

Excellent post yaharea. You'll get another chance to speak with them. Make the most of it then.

Ken Lassman 3 years, 2 months ago

Oh, Puhleeze, folks. It's the battle of the conspiracy theories all over again. On the left end of the conspiratory spectrum we have the secret machinations of the Koch Brothers, Rupert Murdoch, corporatist fascism mixed in with Russian ultra right wing libertarian wackos who will take over the world. On the right end of the conspiratory spectrum, we have the secret cabal of the Shadow Party, with George Soros, Hilary Clinton, Islamic extremists and the rest are chomping at the bit to control your lives.

When are you going to wake up and realize that the right and left extremist parIanoia are virtually indistinguishable? I remember back in the day comparing the SDS manual and the John Birch Society Blue Book and they were virtually identical in their paranoid visions. Nothing has really changed except the details have been updated.

C'mon, folks get a life. I will give credit to both this author and the youngsters he talked with: they were discussing in civil tones to each other. That's what needs to be going on more and more, along with finding common ground and doing community building projects side by side based on shared values, which almost everyone can find if they want.

pace 3 years, 2 months ago

How's the Bush tax cuts and the loopholes for corporations doing as a plan? Is it making the rich richer? Oh is unemployment and foreclosures not a problem for the 1%. They are able to find decent help. Nothing like desperate people as a work pool to draw from. I say, America needs Jobs, Homes, not mansions and graft. Stand up, occupy. If you care about your country get over your prejudice and false math. Stand up. Wear your suit, wear your tie, if that is what you think makes you a person but don't tell $ongress that what they are doing is good for the country. Stand up.