LJWorld.com weblogs yayarea

The day before the flight to London. . .

A week ago, I was making plans to get up at 4 a.m. with maybe 8 other Lawrence residents (hey Cathy Swanson!) to start the marathon of Royal Wedding viewing -- but then I did something irrational -- I called to check on package deals for a week in London this week (thank you Dorothy Pogge!) There is only one person I know crazy enough to go, too; Jane Allen Vesper started packing that night.

That is why today I have an ironing board full of clothes and choices to make because wheels are up Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. from KCI and we will be on our way.

When asked why I want to go, I answer that i lived in London for a year while my husband worked there and I was thoroughly fascinated with all things British. Maybe it is my British Isle ancestry that was stirred, but I just could not get enough of the history and the culture.

So with history in the making this week, a flat screen view was just not enough. I want to BE there -- to hear the Westminster Abby bells toll, to feel the anticipation of the crowd along the procession route and catch a glimpse of the carriage -- in short, to participate in the moment and get a week's worth.

Also today, I agreed with LJW to blog the adventure. Never blogged before, so here goes. . . .

Article I liked

Comments

Eride 3 years, 7 months ago

American obsession with the personal lives of celebrities is disturbing.

Eride 3 years, 7 months ago

A "royal" wedding involving royalty that are a bunch of extremely expensive figureheads for a country that isn't our own. A "royal" wedding involving someone who isn't even next in line for the "throne" and another person who is a commoner.

Ya, it is "historical" alright...

jhawkinsf 3 years, 7 months ago

Didn't we fight a revolution a couple of centuries ago to be done with those people? I try very hard to not even remember their names. Like every person on the planet, I wish them well, but like so people on this planet, I don't have enough time to take a personal interest.

somedude20 3 years, 7 months ago

I could say a lot of things that might make you unhappy so as to not urinate on your parade let me just say have fun!

RoeDapple 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh Jeez . . . Just promised the S.O. I would record it so she could watch it when I don't have to. As if . . . Oh no! to make it worse, Olympic games start in 2012 in London! Gaaaaahhh!!! Is this how the Aztec apocalypse prophecy begins??

Somebody PLEASE, lock me up somewhere so I can watch paint dry!

Enjoy your trip yayarea! At least you gave fair warning

;-)

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 7 months ago

Lots of big talk from a bunch of people who took time to read a post that was clearly about the royal wedding.

somedude20 3 years, 7 months ago

Hey Gollum you should be more worried about your precious!!

Sigmund 3 years, 7 months ago

London is a treat! Not sure I care so much for the Royals, but if you have some free time you might want to take a day trip down to Oxford (great shopping in a College town), Stratford-upon-Avon (they are performing Hamlet this Summer), Bletchley Park (WWII/Enigma museum), or Salisbury (Stonehenge) which are less than 1-1/2 hours away by National Rail. If you insist on staying in London check out the Churchill War Rooms, Clive Steps, King Charles Street.

If this isn't too personal, could you tell us how much round trip air fare costs these days?

Jana Rea 3 years, 7 months ago

TVL LEADERS/SUNFLOWER TVL SVCS SUITE A 4104 W 6TH STREET LAWRENCE, KS 66049 (785)842-4000

i refer you to Dorothy Pogge--she is great. She found an unbelievable deal for us! part of the joy! thanks for the tips, the War Rooms are a favorite of mine and the pub in Oxford where CS Lewis and the boys met--i forget the name, Stonehenge is unforgettable. thanks for sharing my journey!

alm77 3 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for this coverage!! I'll be getting up at 3AM to watch it on the tele!

ParisBarrs 3 years, 7 months ago

Hey Yaya, Thanks for your comments. Blogging with LJW crowd can be brutal because many are very sarcastic, ironic, may not have a clue or flat out don't care about whatever and just like to rant. That's fine. I get sick and tired of hearing about celebrities or people who think they are celebrities but constantly making poor choices and journalists think we need to know all this. That does include some of the stupid Royals. At least with the wedding it's a positive thing about people who will one day rule nations and there is hope for a great future for this couple as they work with a Prime Minister who runs 1/3 of the world and have been our allies for many years.

jjt 3 years, 7 months ago

I can not really understand why someone would want to sit at KCI for 2 or three hours then sit on a small plane to a hub for another 2 and a half hours, then worry about the connection 30 mins to six hours later, then sit for another 9 hours or so then cue for an hour to get through immigration then wait for your baggage then try and get into London which currently has one of the heaviest security clamp downs seen since the height of the IRA bombings in the hope of seeing something. London is best seen out of season it is expensive. Yes the Cabinet War rooms are interesting. Out of season one might get into Parliament. Public transport, in particular trains can still, for a price, get you to some interesting places.
The wedding is real, the pageantry is cool and she is a commoner who has won her Prince. Good for her she is gorgeous (Google, Kate M, Yellow Bikini). Lets all just hope it goes off with out a hitch for all concerned.