LJWorld.com weblogs Who will be the one-millionth poster?

Millionth poster

http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2009/Sep/17/Typist.jpg OK. The contest is on. I have already conducted much research, consulted the Farmer's Almanac, thrown down the chicken bones, and danced naked under the darkened moon, and have posted my prediction as to the exact time when the one-millionth post will be made. I feel confident in my methodology, and know for a fact I will be proven correct.

Now the real question remains, "who will be the one-millionth poster"? (Yes, I already know the answer to that as well, having consulted with my usual resources). My best guess, which finally came down to an odd, unique twist in the vapor trails of one of Saturn's more obscure rings, is that it will be our own RoeDapple. But I am magnanimous. Even though most of you will be wrong, who in your OWN opinion will be the mysterious millionth poster. I have no prizes to offer the winner except maybe for a half-used yellow Hi-Liter and a roll of scotch tape. But the real prize is the glory of, well, being a winner. So go ahead and post your choices.

Comments

Boosh 5 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately my chicken bones don't agree. They say RoeDapple will be TOS'ed on the 999,999th post because he loses it cuz sumin sed sumtin bout hiz cuzin.

Boosh 5 years, 3 months ago

The millionth poster will be a first timer who has a comment about the food somewhere.

Practicality 5 years, 3 months ago

I think post number 1,000,000 will come from a copy/paste of Merrill's advocating some HR bill about heath care.

Final Answer

1029 5 years, 3 months ago

I think it will be a comment from Jonathan Kealing. The story will be about how some local right-wing maniac was caught plotting to commit a terrorist act in DC and how police raided his rural property and found walls covered with pictures of Reid and Pelosi with devil horns drawn on and the eyes cut out. Comments 999,992-999,999 will all be from posters arguing about why the LJ-W won't just come out and say that the maniac's name was Tom, and then the 1,000,000th comment will be Jonathan explaining the LJ-W policy of not identifying the suspect.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

monkeyhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

C'mon now. Who is really that desperate for a lousy T-shirt?

Practicality 5 years, 3 months ago

lol bea, I think there is a 100% chance of that!

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

No, wait, I've got it! I absolutely know for a fact that the millionth post will come immediately after the 999,999th post. Guaranteed.

Now, since I've made the accurate prediction, can I request a blue shirt?

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Not gonna' guess who's gonna' be the millionth, although unfortunately I tend to agree with Practicality (especially as it is generally believed that merrill is not really a person but an automated computer program - you know, a virus).

Let's follow Boosh's lead and guess the topic the thread will be about:

Look at the time of the year - shouldn't we be having a 700-800 post thread about Columbus soon?

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

beatrice (Anonymous) says…

"My graphs indicate that there is an 87% chance that the millionth post will be someone disrespecting the opinion of someone else. "

That's ridiculous, dearie. ;)

My statistics suggest the millionth post will be replaced by the red stripe ...

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Have you consulted your palms, your tea leaves, ever have the cream in your coffee 'read'? Those are great additional sources. I am told there are even people who exam their poop for such evidence - see "Running With Scissors"...

I think it will be tange because he has access to scores of computers and doesn't mind cheating....which means he should make me the winner as he did in DavidL's Devil Dictionary.

In case the rest of you haven't noticed, I am an extremely sore loser...

Practicality 5 years, 3 months ago

O.K.

I think the topic article will be about Todd Reesing throwing for 442 yards against Southern Miss and what a great game KU played.

The post will still be a copy/paste from Merrill about Health Care though.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 3 months ago

is there money involved? i guess i'm missing why being the 1mill'th poster is significant.

Katara 5 years, 3 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says… what is the count? shouldn't we have some kind of ticker/counter thing on the banner page to track or would that just be too much for Marion to take? ~~~~~~~~~~ Oh, most definitely way too much for Marion to take. We'll be subjected to endless blogs on the evils of astroturf and of advertisers he believes are spammers.

Given the hissy he threw about not being the #1 poster on LJW on the Stat_Guys' blog, his head would probably implode if he doesn't make the one millionth post and is not recognized publicly for it. And after that, we'll be subjected to endless posts/or blogs about how the calculations were all incorrect and how awesome he thinks he is.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

I still think the Stat_Guy's blog was full of hot air, but I am not a statistician so who am I to comment on the blog that really got things heated up.

If there is a clicker of sorts giving us info on the current tally, well just imagine how that would speed things along.

I wonder what Stat_Guy would say about the statistics on that one......would the hits quadruple each second or what? hehehe - obviously math was NOT my subject.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 3 months ago

The millionth poster will be a remark about how alcohol was the contributing factor in yet another horrible, but not life-flighted victim, car crash.

Stat_Guys 5 years, 3 months ago

Stat_Guys would mention that Marion has been humping his bum to increase his rating from his previous place on the list. As mentioned on the blog it takes a lot more time and posting differences to alter the status of a long term user than it does a newer one.

Marion, in about two months has increased his words per day from 7.31 to 9.31. Increase = 2.

We noticed Multidisciplinary had also become more talkative. She joined not quite a year later. To compare, she only raised the word count= .1, with a interim .03 decrease. Note, that is 'point 1' not 1.

Ronda has also increased her standing just slightly. She and Bozo have switched places, neck and neck. However, let it be known, that someone else holds the lead for top place. We have not run the stats on everyone, but we have run some. And Marion has a lot of posting to do before he can begin to catch up with the person that holds the lead for the few that we ran, they are far out in front and have been holding steady. We might ad, they are well behaved for the most part and show no signs of future disappearededness.

Many people up there on the list have been disappeareded so many of you moved up a few places. And some of you thought you would never see the top 10 or twenty.

puddleglum 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm guessing it will be merrill and something about hr 7665 or whatever.

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

In the 1,000,000th post, we will find out that Bozo and Tom are actually the same person with a really messed up multiple personality.

Ronda Miller 5 years, 3 months ago

Wow, I feel honored to bring Stat_Guy in on this. Thanks!

May I ask who the top person is at present?

I am guessing it is Roe...I think he was in top place before going on vacation.

Glad to see I have increased my standing somewhat - still Roe is everywhere leaving comments.

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Can't get away from the creepy old guy!

Can't catch up with bndair hanging on my shirt tail.....

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

nota, "My statistics suggest the millionth post will be replaced by the red stripe …"

and if the stars align it may also be Marion's 10,000 post to be removed.

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Just found this site, and have calculated my present avg.

With bndairdundat/ RoeDapple I have 2889 total posts in 666 days for an average of 4.3376 posts per day avg.

Just as RoeDapple I have 2412 posts in 460 days for an avg of 11.7087 posts per day avg.

Just as I have said "I'm not a cop" I assure you all I am not Stat_Guys either. After trying to figure all this out earlier I found this site this afternoon. I have no idea where those numbers place me, but with bndair hanging on I'm not even close to the top. If I could only shake that bndair shadow...

Now you have the site to figure your own avg.

;-)

sassypants 5 years, 3 months ago

I think the millionth commentor will be Rhonda, with one of her great blogs. Although I'm thinking autie, Roe and Multi will be right up there too. So good luck you 4.

supertrampofkansas 5 years, 3 months ago

"and if the stars align it may also be Marion's 10,000 post to be removed. "

Now that is a good question. What happens if the millionth post is removed? Are there any contigency plans here people?!

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

correction

as roe i has 2412 posts in 206 (not 460) days for 11.7087 avg

d@#m cuzins wont let me consuntraet......

labmonkey 5 years, 3 months ago

Autie-

Really, the only difference between them are their political beliefs. They pretty much act the same way though...always jumping to a political conclusion with every post.

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says…

"what is the count? shouldn't we have some kind of ticker/counter thing on the banner page to track or would that just be too much for Marion to take?"

When you make a post, and are on the "Comment posted" page, look at the address line.

Also, the number at the end of the "permalink" address is the post number. For instance, labmonkey's 4:46 pm post was number 992884.

llama726 5 years, 3 months ago

I vote that the millionth comment will be Tom Shewmon or Marion Lynn spreading xenophobia about Barack Obama.

Practicality 5 years, 3 months ago

Stat_Guys (Anonymous) says…

"We might ad, they are well behaved for the most part and show no signs of future disappearededness."

Well, that eliminates almost everyone I was thinking of, who could this person be?

notajayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Now, if everyone watches their numbers, about a thousand people will be trying to post when we get to about 999,950 or so - wouldn't it be a hoot if the resulting server crash was unrecoverable and the millionth post never makes it?

By the way, Mr. Kealing? This may be a bad time to bring this up, but have your IT folks actually verified that your message counter will take a seventh digit? :)

(Okay, the past two days have been running a little over a thousand per; weekends may be different, and who knows what controversial news stories will pop up; add in another 25 posts from merrill for every healthcare-related story - as well as another 10 or 15 off-topic universal healthcare rants to every other story; and then that principle of research that says the act of studying a phenomena changes it, meaning the number of posts will accelerate as we get closer. I'm guessing Tuesday the 22nd at 9:17 pm.)

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh no! Roe has been on 666 days! you know that's the number of Satan!
oh, now it all becomes clear...

yes, Statguys, just who is this person of whom you speak as being in the lead, and no sign of impending disappeardeddeddeddedness coming?

this is my prediction: because one of them just can't take it any more, the millionth post will be made by the former driedorigami/bronze/spiderman, underhis tenth handle, or else Logie will post that comment under another new screen name.
what name will Svenway come back under? Oedipus? what name will Logie come back under, Puff-the-magic-dragon?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 3 months ago

possibly the millionth post will be Snap, KUDude, TOB, or maybe me reposting: "Bronze, I have warned you privately. Now, I warn you publicly. You do not have Bearded_gnome's name ... "

great question Nota, is the ljworld server system actually looking at a kind of impending Y2K problem?

haven't been around much today, did Jonathan nail down the prizes beyond things that "represent the posting community" LOL?
prizes that represent the posting community? I suggested some on the previous blog. any other suggestions?

igby 5 years, 3 months ago

Don't understand what all the rush is all about. They must be really bored to come up with this idea anyway.

RoeDapple 5 years, 3 months ago

Roads, immediately after you post click the permalink for your post then look at the address bar at top of page. The post you just made will have the number at the right end of the address