LJWorld.com weblogs Town Talk

Sixth and Wakarusa loses another business

There's one less place to get a steak in Lawrence these days. H&H Bar and Grill, 4931 W. Sixth Street, closed its doors for good recently. The massive restaurant at Sixth and Wakarusa streets used to be the home to the Hereford House before that higher-end dining concept proved to be unsuccessful in Lawrence. [Last summer][1] Hereford House owner Rod Anderson teamed up with some partners to open the more casual H&H Bar and Grill concept. Anderson on Thursday confirmed that concept also wasn't successful enough to keep the doors open. A sign on the door thanked patrons for their past support, but said the restaurant was currently closed. There are no plans to reopen it. "No, we're done," Anderson said. Anderson said his company - which continues to operate the venerable Hereford House steakhouses in the Kansas City area - doesn't have any plans to be in the Lawrence market. He also said he wasn't much interested in reliving why the location never panned out. [Previously,][2] though, some businesses in the shopping center had lamented the delay in approval for a new Wal-Mart that is being built just across the street from the shopping center. The discount center was expected to be a major traffic generator for the intersection. The Wal-Mart project was hotly contested and ended up the subject of a lawsuit that caused a multi-year delay. The wait, however, is almost over for those businesses expecting to benefit from being neighborly to the world's largest retailer. Construction is well underway on the store. We hope Wal-Mart officials will be able to give us an updated timeline for opening the store shortly. The shopping center also has a large opening where Googols of Fun used to be. That children's play center closed recently, and reopened as a preschool near Rockledge Road and McDonald Drive. So - depending on how you look at it - opportunity abounds at that intersection. Developers who control the northeast corner of the intersection have previously said a CVS drug store is strongly interested in the intersection. So, will Sixth and Wakarusa soon become the star intersection it once promised to be? Or, will it continue to be more sizzle than steak? [1]: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/may... [2]: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/apr...

Comments

triplegoddess13 6 years, 8 months ago

Olive Garden and Red Lobster aren't allowed to come to town, last I heard, because they have to be so many miles away from another one of their establishments. That's the reason you won't ever see one in Lawrence.

wifemotherslave 6 years, 8 months ago

Why the need for more chains? The food is never that super spectacular in the chain restaurants, why not open more local businesses there? People who are going to shop at the walmart won't be able to afford those chains anyways. Not being hippy dippy but that walmart is only going to wick more money away from our local failing economy.

SpeedRacer 6 years, 8 months ago

I was unimpressed with the food with both restaurants..and the prices! How about a Macaroni Grill?

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

Bambino's is crap and Mad Greek is terrible but a very very very small step up. Both Piasano's good value and Teller's high quality have gone way way down hill from the day (Teller's more than Piasano's, they had farther to fall and did). Olive Garden would do great in that location as there really isn't anything in town that can be said is significantly better in that price range as far as casual family dining goes.

LogicMan 6 years, 8 months ago

Olive Garden might kill off Piasano's. Red Lobster instead.

oldvet 6 years, 8 months ago

"If Topeka can support both Paisano's and Olive Garden, I don't see any reason why Lawrence can't."Maybe it's because Topeka's MSA population is double that of Lawrence...

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 8 months ago

I hate that the steakhouse closed. Thank you, Lynn

blindrabbit 6 years, 8 months ago

If you like Italian try Genovese at 941 Mass., home of former Mass.Street Deli. Try the 3 dish sampler; well worth the money!! Genovese is operated by owner of Zen Zero and La Parrilla! Makes me want to go tonight!!

Steve Jacob 6 years, 8 months ago

The casual restaurant industry has taken a beating over the past year. Has anyone gone out to eat as much as last year?

dotteboy 6 years, 8 months ago

The Hereford house isn't in the top 3 KC steakhouses.I ordered a filet and got a strip. Ordered it medium and got it well done.How can Longhorn get it right?And right for half the price?A Jimmy Buffet venture would be nice. It would mesh well with the other eateries at that intersection.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 8 months ago

"Thug Club!"It is on the "Topeka" side of town.I was amazed that HH worked so hard to re-vamp that location, and then created their signature "Shu" or whatever that was. The "Shoe" was slightly doctored up cheesy fries being sold as something real. HH blew it, plain and simple. The new concept was weak in a very competitive food market. My guess is that their overhead forced them to consider cutting back on food costs to an unacceptably low level - unacceptably low for folks like us.I really liked the original HH. We went there a lot.

mysixthsense 6 years, 8 months ago

How about something different like a place with a Jamaican or cajun flavor with the ambience of the sounds to go along with it...

BuffyloGal 6 years, 8 months ago

If you're over at 6th and Wakarusa and you're hungry, you can't beat Glory Days Pizza. Just don't go too often as I don't want my local to become too crowded! As for chains, they are the last thing anywhere in this country needs. American cities have no personality anymore because of them.

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

bmaestas (Anonymous) says: "How about something even slightly original and new, preferably home-grown and locally-owned and operated."As if home-grown and locally-owned and operated equals "good food." Try eating at the Cajun place on Mass. St. and say that with straight face. Regardless, pony up your own money, try and make a profit, and let us all know how it works out for you.BuffyloGal (Anonymous) says: "As for chains, they are the last thing anywhere in this country needs. American cities have no personality anymore because of them."If you are looking for great "family" Italian food, can't beat Johnny Cascone's, off of Metcalf, in Overland Park. Johnson County probably have more great family owned restaurants than Lawrence has bars. If that is what you are looking for head that "American City."

firemedic301 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree with the other posts about an Olive Garden. Piasano's has really gone downhill. I had heard a rumor that they were going to put one in there before it opened back up as H&H. Is there any other italian places in town to patron besides Piasanos? If so let me know

pahoehoeflow 6 years, 8 months ago

If Topeka can support both Paisano's and Olive Garden, I don't see any reason why Lawrence can't. Also, whoever made the comment about Olive Garden/Red Lobster's not being able to open too close to each other, I don't think that's the case at all. In KC at least, there is a Red Lobster in Olathe and another in Overland Park...

Mkh 6 years, 8 months ago

This is hilarious...they blamed it on Walmart not opening soon enough. Too funny! I'm sure a whole lot of Walmart shoppers would have hustled right over there for a $30 steak. HA.This place closed because it was terrible. I went into the bar a few times and that was okay, but once I actually sat down for dinner and had to tell the manager as i left that I would never be back because the food and service was horrid.Hit the road Jack...

shawn1040 6 years, 8 months ago

Piasano's needs to step up, the service and food are terrible!! They need to stop hiring high school kids as waiters and get better cooking staff.

more_cowbell 6 years, 8 months ago

There are nothing but chains at 6th & Wak, and I think there are tons of food places already... so, if enough space opens up with Googols and H&H gone...How about a 2nd Target?X-D

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

Defender (Anonymous) says:"Lawrence has a problem, the hired help is horrible. Funny how you can go out of town to any of the chain places we have here in town, and the food and service will be FAR better. Doesn't even matter what chain it is, just pick one."Which reminds me, seven of us ate lunch at "Planet Sub" in Overland Park last Monday (Yellow Sub here in Lawrence). Two of the orders were screwed up and one didn't arrive till after the other six were done. At least two of the guys in the kitchen and bringing out sandwiches were from Lawrence and completely spaced.

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

merrill (Anonymous) says: "There are not enough retail dollars in Lawrence Kansas to satisfy what is necessary to for all businesses to succeed while at the same time generate tax revenue for Lawrence,Kansas."First, the businesses that can't successfully compete fail, those that are better survive. In the end consumer wins. The main purpose of businesses in Lawrence is NOT to provide the city revenues. It is to provide services that Lawrencian's want, need, and are willing to pay for. By doing that they provide wages and income for owners and employee and thrive. Fail to do that and you are forced to close your doors so something better can make better use of the space.Thats_messed_up (Anonymous) says: "Macaroni Grill and or Outback blow away most everything in Lawrence except Longhorns and would do great there."Completely agreed. Most of the local eateries, with a few exceptions, are mediocre, and that is being kind.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 8 months ago

There are not enough retail dollars in Lawrence Kansas to satisfy what is necessary to for all businesses to succeed while at the same time generate tax revenue for Lawrence,Kansas. 6th and Wakarusa is more about economic displacement than economic growth which in realityincreases taxes and/or user fees to support uncontrolled growth. More retail dollars do not magically appear because more retail is built. There are only so many retail dollars in any community. 6th and Wakarusa will most likely draw a lot of traffic from 31st and Iowa thus decrease in sales tax revenue from that area in general. Those stores are going to experience a drop in impulse buying.Considering the possibility that Lawrence will lose more population as people relocate closer to employment is not a matter taxpayers should take lightly.

somebodynew 6 years, 8 months ago

I totally agree with informed about both points. H & H food AND service was very mediocre on a good day and on the pricey side for what you got. And unfortuately I had to pay the several times I ate there. And Olive Garden ??????? Give me a break.

LogicMan 6 years, 8 months ago

Too bad about HH.A large automotive accessories store like Pep Boys might work there.

Thats_messed_up 6 years, 8 months ago

Macaroni Grill and or Outback blow away most everything in Lawrence except Longhorns and would do great there. Merrill you're stupid as always.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

Furr's - wow, how can anyone eat there, the WORST food ever---deadender.when was the last time you drove through 23rd and iowa, with your eyes open Deadender? been to that cafeteria lately? how was that food when you went in a few months ago? I hear its really improved, you should go back and try it!**Merrill posts his usual blather. Lawnmowerman thinks he knows all about local economy? yeah, riiiiiight. we have a huge percentage of broken streets and he's still running around promoting "traffic speed cushions" and roundabouts! money spent on them doesn't fix our streets! he wants us to have rolling power outages to promote energy conservation...now there's something that'll help local economies and promote jobs/incomes!

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

Food was terrible and over priced, service was adequate, interior was very dark and broken up. A Olive Garden or any of the family style chains will do fine there. Hereford House in KC is in a free standing building in a mall parking lot and is always packed and the food is great.

gccs14r 6 years, 8 months ago

Mad Greek is yummy! As for H&H (and HH before it), bad food and bad service for an inflated price is a recipe for failure--the absence of Wal-Mart had nothing to do with it. If I want a steak, I'll go to the Road House in Topeka or Olathe. I ate at HH three times (on someone else's dime) and thought Perkins made better food.

shawn1040 6 years, 8 months ago

I was surprised not to read the smoking ban was the cause..

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

lawnmowerman:Tagline:God made him simple. Science made him a god.Plot:A simple man is turned into a genius through the application of computer science.

somebodynew 6 years, 8 months ago

fm301-I don't get there a lot, but I always though Bambino's was decent. Maybe nothing spectacular, but a good portion for the money and good quality.

aeroscout17 6 years, 8 months ago

Bennigans filed for bankruptcy a few weeks ago and closed their non-franchised restaurants.

Third_Wave 6 years, 8 months ago

OLIVE GARDEN!!! FOR GOD SAKES, PUT IN AN OLIVE GARDEN!!!

rdave13 6 years, 8 months ago

How about a Pappasito's from Houston?

Keith 6 years, 8 months ago

Looks like a good place for a Hooters!

skinny 6 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence does need more restaurants. We are tired of waiting forever to get in most of the time so now we either drive to Kansas City of Topeka to eat. Gives a chance to get out of town for awhile too.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

agree w/Sigmund,we ate there once as H&H, very negative rating of food. service okay. the building/location, just not equivalent to KC hereford house, different population here. wonder if it had been, say, at 6th and VT, 8th and NH, maybe it could've made it. ***I heard Bambino's was under new owners, then recently closed. how about church's chicken? der wienerschnitzel? Popeye's chicken? or, the space where H&H was: a gun club, shooting range combo with bar, scantily clad females serving. now, there's a unique business? and, one night a week is "ladies' night, servers beefy men?

BigPrune 6 years, 8 months ago

People who live in Lawrence are only willing to pay big money for food and not bitch about it when they have to travel to Kansas City to get it.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

deadender,you're hallucinating again. what gives you any whif of an inkling that I smoke pot? I'd say that looks rather like projection, Deadender, so put down the bong. ***hey, how 'bout putting in a second Papa Keno's. had their pizza tonight! man that was really good. the Papa is back! definite 10 on the pizza.

angel4dennis 6 years, 8 months ago

Bambinos is excellent and the owners are the nicest people. My husband and I ate there on our anniversary not too long ago and they were great. I would like to see a buffet style place open up that isn't chinese and NOT a Bob Evans (gross)! Furrs was good, after they left we were only left with chinese and pizza buffet. Lawrence needs a nice place that is affordable but quality. I occasionally visit those eateries on Mass but who likes to get all involved with the traffic when you have a car full of kids? Things Lawrence doesn't need more of: Banks, Bars, Chinese joints, and car dealers. Why not put a gently used merchandise store in, a scratch and dent store, or use that building to house some homeless families?

Brad Maestas 6 years, 8 months ago

Olive Garden? Red Lobster? Give me a break. That's not food. That's food "product." Let's let every corporation and franchise just roll on through! How about something even slightly original and new, preferably home-grown and locally-owned and operated.

staff04 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm actually kind of surprised that Lawrence doesn't have a greater interest in good restaurants. I would think that, given the relative level of sophistication Lawrence has, there would be a greater interest in gastronomy. Why a place that deals in truly unique and completely unhealthy fare can't survive, I don't understand. What do you think would happen if a restaurant that served these: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/107/278217474_b81382f304.jpg came into town...

coltrane 6 years, 8 months ago

maybe it needs a TIF district to help fund it like the Oread Inn ?

justme 6 years, 8 months ago

Sorry to hear about the closing. I thought they did GREAT! I have a big family, I think that we need a Buffet as well. I always have to take my family to Topeka to Golden Corral or Coyote Canyon ( LOVE BOTH OF THEM BY THE WAY ) or go the other way towards KC to a Buttet called Ryans ( OUR FAVORITE ) when you have a big family no one ever wants the same thing so this helps! We have also been wondering why we have to go out of town for Churchs Chicken #1, Olive Garden and Red Lobster. I would put money on it that any of the Restaurants I mentioned would do Outstanding in Lawrence! If I could I would open any of them my self, but dont got that option. If any one opens one, I need a second job you owe me :) JK

yoornotmee 6 years, 8 months ago

I won't miss HH. Overpriced food that's not as good as what we make at home. I went there once and I never planned to return. If they wanted to stay open, they should have either had quality food, or cheap prices.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 7 months ago

There are not enough retail dollars in Lawrence Kansas. When retail does not generate projected sales taxes our taxes and user fees rise6th and Wakarusa will shift dollars from 31st and Iowa = economic displacement Economic pollution increases taxes and/or user fees to support uncontrolled growth.More retail dollars do not magically appear because more retail is built. There are only so many retail dollars in any community. 31st and Iowa stores will experience a drop in impulse buying = less tax revenueWill high gasoline prices spur commuters relocation thus fewer shoppers?Bauer Farms is back on the City Commission Agenda this month = more economic displacementBaur Farms = more new infrastructure for taxpayers to maintain

not_dolph 6 years, 7 months ago

Well, well, well:welcome back Sven ol' buddy. Nice to see you as coltrane. And I was just beginning to enjoy my retirement. Oh well, a second career is always a nice comeback. It's getting hard for me to remember all of your online monikers - cool, jaguar, metta, spiderman, stillcoolandhere, and the list goes on. I think it's going to be a fun week.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Relax, coltrane. Have a popsicle. It's a cool and fruity treat on a hot day. don't you think ?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

merrill/lawnmowerman is back with his incredible economic insight! we must listen carefully to each word proceeding from his mouth, these golden apples of wisdom will certainly lead us to prosperity!no, actually, merrill wants us to have rolling power outages to force energy conservation. now, there's a real help to profit-based businesses! "economic pollution" LOL!***sissy, pot smoking, crackheads such as yourself are capable of such stupidity.---why thanks deadender,no, the change i have made in your screen name is meant to be quite descriptive. the above quote from you, now you're up to three names. and, I wouldn't spend too much time referring to my spelling differences, sometimes they're intended (demorats). and, as I recall, your spelling has not been a model for others to follow. Finally, your posts are usually vapid (you'll need to look that one up), devoid of any political argumentation.