LJWorld.com weblogs Town Talk

New deli slated for South Iowa

By mid-October, Lawrence likely will have a new option for sandwiches and sweet tea. Construction crews are working on a new McAlister's Deli at 27th and Iowa streets, according to information from a city building permit. The Mississippi-based restaurant chain, according to its [Web site,][1] has a menu of more than 100 items, including sandwiches, baked potatoes and desserts. But the chain particularly highlights its sweetened tea, which it says is a southern delicacy. The restaurant will occupy a portion of the former Ed Marling's furniture store at the northwest corner of 27th and Iowa. Craig Bothwell, the franchisee for McAlister's, said the company wanted to enter the Lawrence market because it has traditionally done well in college towns. A tentative opening date for the store is Oct. 13. The store would be the company's fourth in the state. Currently the deli chain has two stores in Wichita and one in Manhattan. The 27th and Iowa intersection has the look of an area that may have more development on the way. A "sold" sign is in front of the Plum Tree Chinese restaurant building. No word yet on what may be going in there. But the building is adjacent to a vacant lot (it used to house a Mazzio's pizza) that is being marketed for development. What would you like to see at that corner? ¢¢¢ Speaking of building permit numbers, the [latest report][2] from the city contains some good news. Builders in July took out building permits for $29.4 million worth of projects, the highest total yet in 2008. But it would be a stretch to say the numbers signal a turnaround in the downtrodden construction industry. One project accounted for nearly $21 million of the monthly total. The project is The Exchange, a 324-unit apartment complex at the southeast intersection of 31st and Ousdahl. Work has begun on 14 apartment buildings and a clubhouse for the complex. The complex will be marketed to students - and will feature a "resort-style" design - [developers told city commissioners][3] in December. Building permits for new single family homes continued to be well below historical levels. The city issued six single family permits in July, and have issued 53 for all of 2008. The city's historical average is around 300 single family permits per year. [1]: http://www.mcalistersdeli.com/ [2]: http://www.lawrenceks.org/web_based_agendas/2008/08-19-08/08-19-08h/cm_report_%20monthly_permit_report_july_08_summ.pdf [3]: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/dec...

Comments

carmen 6 years, 10 months ago

I definitely have to complain regarding the news about new apartment complexes coming into town catering towards the students.Im sorry but Lawrence should not just cater to the students, other people live in this town too!! This town has always shown how important the students are and its about time someone woke up and realize its the real people that live, work and breathe in this town that deserve the attention its due. The students are only here part time while we are here all the time, I say stop catering to the students and start listening to the real people of lawrence that mean a lot more to this town!

Sigmund 6 years, 10 months ago

gccs14r (Anonymous) says:"That apartment complex construction displaced a bunch of wildlife that has gone off in search of food and water. I took a car in for service down there and had a rat chew the wiring harness overnight"Rats are "wildlife" AND looking for food and water they chewed through your wiring harness in one night? Wow, are you gullible. Did Crown offer to convert your car to use E85 so you can also save the planet?

another_concerned_parent 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh sweet. We drive to Springfield to eat there. This would save us so much money. They are fantastic!!!!! We cannot wait for them to get here.

gccs14r 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm not stupid. I found the chewed harness and the rat turds under the hood. I'm just glad that Crown fixed the damage gratis.

Brad Barker 6 years, 10 months ago

anyone know what is being added to the Famous Footwear on south Iowa ?and i agree about Chik-Fil-A, id love to see one of those open up here.

acoupstick 6 years, 10 months ago

"and i agree about Chik-Fil-A, id love to see one of those open up here."I love Chik-Fil-A. I eat there every Sunday.

greenworld 6 years, 10 months ago

red lobster or coyote canyon or golden corralTopeka has a place that's a sports bar called Spanky'sLet's get one in lawrence. They have the best roastbeef mashed potatoes and gravy.How about another yogurt place....lol

gccs14r 6 years, 10 months ago

That apartment complex construction displaced a bunch of wildlife that has gone off in search of food and water. I took a car in for service down there and had a rat chew the wiring harness overnight. Mine can't be the only car that has been damaged. If I owned Crown, I'd be p*ssed.

coool 6 years, 10 months ago

I hope they'll be doing some "green" architecture ?What about a Hooters ? Yes ?

nobody1793 6 years, 10 months ago

"The students are only here part time while we are here all the time..."I don't have any data to back it up, but I would hypothesize based on my own experience that the students do a lot more eating out in 9 months than townies do in 12.

Ragingbear 6 years, 10 months ago

Your not talking about Z's. Your probably talking about the Burgoise Pig. You know the place. The one that bans people from using their business for being homeless? Nevermind that they are clean,well behaved and paying, but homelessness is a crime to them. Not to mention that everything they sell is overpriced.I remember a few years ago that there was an AIDS drive where they were giving away free AIDS test. If you got a test, you were entitled to a free cup of house brew at The Pig. I did my job as a human (even though I was 99.9% sure, there is always an off chance) and got the test. I then went down to get my cup of coffee. The people working there took one look at the coupon and told me "You can have a cup of coffee. But it has to be in a to-go cup, and you can't drink it here.". So whoever gets an AIDS test is not their type of clientelle.Z's on the other hand have always been nice and friendly to me. I have never felt even slightly pressured to give a tip, yet I would on a semi-regular basis. Sometimes $1.50 is all you got, and you really want a cup of coffee. They have better tasting coffee since they roast it in town too.

Curtis Lange 6 years, 10 months ago

acoupstick: Since they are open and all on Sunday? lola_c_p: There has been a McAlister's in KC for quite awhile. I know for sure there is one on State Line at about 89th St or so.

Ragingbear 6 years, 10 months ago

Douglascounty, we have one of those. Z's Espresso on the corner of 23rd and Harper. Local, winner of many environmental awards, and serves a good cup of coffee for a fair price.

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 10 months ago

I would like to see a Coyote Canyon. We go to the one in Topeka and it is awesome. We have so many other buffet style restaurants, but nothing with good american food. We have enough deli/sub shops. This sounds similar to Jason's Deli. We must remember it's all about the students:( What about the families?

mindylogan83 6 years, 10 months ago

I would like to see a golden corral they are cheap for lunch and i have 5 in my family and we spend 28 bucks not counting gas haha but its in topeka they have great food i would also like a better pizza buffet for kids and more buffets besides chainess i love that food but after while you need a change lol i would also like to see big and tall store cause close one is topeka

Curtis Lange 6 years, 10 months ago

Woohoo, McAlisters! You Chik-fil-A fans, just go to the one on campus at the Wescoe Underground until we actually get a stand alone one (someday?).

FMT6488 6 years, 10 months ago

Ooo! does having yet ANOTHER (sigh) apartment complex in this highly apartmentized city mean that rents will go down even a smidgen? NOPE! If anything they might go up, because the students(in general) may not have to pay for all of their rent (grants, scholarships, and mommy or daddy help many of them), which causes the rent prices to go up for ALL renters. Landlords, after all, will only charge what they believe the market will bear - and with students renting with money they don't have to work for, the rent will continue to go up.I remember living next to a house that was bought and paid for by one of the students' parents - just so the student wouldn't have to live in the dorms with the other riffraff. I over heard her telling my parents that she was actually MAKING money(she only had to pay daddy $500/month as long as she kept her grades up) off of renting out 2 rooms to other students and that her daddy was going to continue renting it to students after she graduated from KU.

LogicMan 6 years, 10 months ago

Golden Corral, but I really don't want to get that fat that fast.Red Lobster, definitely.A Tractor Supply Co. (TSC) store, or a Grainger with retail sales.Wendy's and/or Spangles, but in the old Uno's building.A gas station on the west side of southern Iowa Street.A small Sam's Club, either in the Gibson's/Food-4-Less building, or in Sears if they unfortunately go away. Wal-Mart may still own the Sears building.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 10 months ago

"New deli slated for South Iowa"... but isn't New Delhi in North India?( and what's up with that spelling, LJW? )

tcs 6 years, 10 months ago

Z's sucks in my opinion. And they always act like you should be giving them a tip.

TriSigmaKS 6 years, 10 months ago

YAY! I LOVE McAlister's and it is very family friendly, but does WELL in college towns. Other things I'd love to see, a Pei Wei, Ann Taylor Loft, Dillards, Chik-fil-A, Carrabas or a Macaroni Grill, Houlihan's and how about a Chuck-E-Cheese? Yep....all chains, but I'm ok with that, as long as we throw in a new local joint for every chain too! I'm a HUGE local supporter, but I enjoy chains too.

more_cowbell 6 years, 10 months ago

all this talk about fave places to eat...omnomnomNOMNOM. :-d

woodenfleaeater 6 years, 10 months ago

Forget a Golden Corral, why not get a Luby's (Lugie's). Both sick.I think they need to get 24 hour karaoke bar!! I hate only being able to sing Hall & Oates on Saturdays.

MattressMan 6 years, 10 months ago

FMT6488 (Anonymous) says: Ooo! does having yet another (sigh) apartment complex in this highly apartmentized city mean that rents will go down even a smidgen? NOPE!carmen (Anonymous) says: I definitely have to complain regarding the news about new apartment complexes coming into town catering towards the students.I have an idea, go buy some land and build an apartment complex that only rents to locals and make the rent less than those damned student catered apartments are. gccs14r (Anonymous) says: That apartment complex construction displaced a bunch of wildlife that has gone off in search of food and water.And the plowing, planting, spraying, fertilizing and harvesting didnt displace any rats? According to alot of posters on here that field was where WalMart disposed of their extra sacks so at least those (sacks) will be gone.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 10 months ago

McAllister's. Get you gallon of Sweet Tea! They have big ass loaded baked potatos. Pretty decent place.---TOBLOL!***what do I want to see come in at 27th and iowa:Der Wienerschnitzelyeah, look it up!

douglascounty 6 years, 10 months ago

Ragingbear, yes I know about Z's. I've been there a few times myself. I'd just like to see something on the south side of town. Maybe Z's should open a 2nd location???

Nikki May 6 years, 10 months ago

I love chik-fil-a but I'm not going to trying to go on campus. I will stop in if I'm in Topeka. I'm another person that's for a buffet type restaurant. i also like coyote canyon in Topeka. I promise I will not be going to the deli. I don't go to Jason's so I doubt I'd go to something so similar.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 10 months ago

I haven't been to a Der Wienerschnitzel since about 1972.don't think they're east of Colorado. nothing like them in Lawrence. Polish sausage w/sauerkraut!

gccs14r 6 years, 10 months ago

Gnome, We had at least one in Tulsa on S. Peoria. My grade school was just up the street from it.

gccs14r 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't get the appeal of a bag of cardboard discs wrapped in dish sponges. Fisher-Price makes a better hamburger.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 10 months ago

yeah GCCS,my high school was just around the corner from DW. that was Salinas California. checked and the same DW is still there.

BigPrune 6 years, 10 months ago

That location for a deli has got to be one of the worst in town.

firemedic301 6 years, 10 months ago

How about an Olive Garden? Let's get some competition in for Piasano's because their food quality is really starting to go downhill, and I don't know of any other Italian places in Lawrence. They could use the old Uno's location.

gccs14r 6 years, 10 months ago

I haven't been to a Der Wienerschnitzel since about 1972.