LJWorld.com weblogs The Zone

TREASURE FOUND!

http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/16/Trio.jpgAvast Ye Mateys! A trio of scalawags found me treasure. Arrrg! Congratulations to Mike Limburg, Megan Hawman and Alex Hawman, who lifted a stone next to a tree at Centennial Park and found themselves a few coins richer. According to the trio, "We went there on Thursday and looked all over that tree but must have passed by it." Apparently, they didn't need the Friday clue, because they were already on the spot. First a recap of the riddle, with pictures...and then a request for your feedback on the next hunt.LodestarGrim icon; play hubhttp://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/16/clue_1.JPGSentries stand as luminaries (These were the light poles standing in line as sentries)BelvedereFour sentries past (four light posts after the gazebo)http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/16/Belvedere.JPGNorth from the bendhttp://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/16/bend.JPGBeyond the beds (these are rock beds)http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/16/beds_of_rock.JPGWhere three convergehttp://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/16/3converge.JPGThe treasure waits (it was behind the tree under a stone)So what do all of you think? Was it fun, physically or intellectually or both? Should we try this again...maybe raise the stakes a bit? Or are you going to let Limburg and the Hawmans have all the glory? Let me know your thoughts. I'm thinking it's time for a gift card that takes the sting out of someone's gasoline tank. Post your thoughts here....

Comments

David Lignell 6 years, 4 months ago

Oh yeah...about the eye patch and bandana. I think I'll leave that up to the hunters. After all, not everyone is up to trading "yars" with the Limburg and the Hawmans.

haplo 6 years, 4 months ago

We had a great time figuring out the clues, even though it felt like our brains were melting at times (partially from us over thinking every riddle.) I definitely don't think that it was too easy, but it wasn't so hard that we got frustrated and gave up. It took about a day to research the clues and brainstorm places to search and a few days to visit our possible treasure sites.We got some pretty funny looks as we were climbing around park after park, but when people found out what we were doing, they would become really interested and start their own search group.I really like that there was no timeline to the event and that you could take it at your own pace. And we love riddles and scavenger hunts anyway, so this was the perfect thing for us. Let's just say we're celebrating our little victory with a few beers tonight. Can't wait until the next hunt! Keep up the great work. My only suggestion.....put out a new hunt quickly!!! :)YAR!!(ps- next time we're dressing up as pirates)

David Lignell 6 years, 4 months ago

Thank you, haplo. (Or should I address you as Blackbeard?) Great picture you sent, too! BTW, don't trust that Megan. Just look at your picture again...she's holding the treasure all by herself. Indeed, just try to pry that case from her claw-like grasp. Arrrrg! No doubt, she's a pirate through and through! We'll do it again, soon. Stay posted. If you dress up as pirates, I definitely want another picture.

beerdrinkingfool 6 years, 4 months ago

heck the first time we where there we pulled all the fungus from inside the 3 trunks we where that close

David Lignell 6 years, 4 months ago

Here's my inspiration, Multidisciplinary:http://blog.mlive.com/grpress_extra/2007/11/the_wyoming_riddler.htmlMy objective is fun (for the participants) and recognition (for me as a crazy fool). Wadda think? Am I on track for a fulfilling life, or is that just self-absorbed, selfish talk?You've been such a good supporter (and thinker), that I'm thrilled to work through your intelligent points of discussion.Let me take each of your points individually:KLZR had a no two time winner rule (maybe in one year?). So many people were trying, it needed to be spread out. The hunt was in fact discontinued,while they were doing two hunts, one after the other.¢Not sure how to reply to this statement. First, I disagree with the two-time winner rule. I think that if an individual or a team has proven competent in the past, then they should be able to continue in future hunts. ¢You said, "I do not know the resolution of the prize, but [they] stopped having the hunt due to the bad behavior of two greedy women." Let me state quite clearly, "I don't care a micro lick about gender differences. Let's just accept the challenge to solve the riddle. Do that and the prize will increase exponentially.¢You saild, "KLZR also hid the cannister perhaps underneath a bushy tree, or tied it to a fence under a leaf, but I don't recall anyone needing to move garden rocks. This rock may have been a regular old rock, but the picture of the rock beds made me think that some one might tear apart a rock wall or other man made item to look." It was a stone / rock weighing about 3 pounds that even I could lift. The rock beds existed to merely confuse, and they did a fine job of it, I might add. BTW, I only hid it under a stone because the tree was too easy too fine. If you read the entries, they had to search over a couple of days as a result.¢You said, "I also think that 3-converge-tree is likely to get blown over one of these storms. when they are cut off and regrow multi-stemmed like that one, they are so off balance." Totally agree. That's why they draw so much interest. Sorry you've lost some like that. But they are, indeed, great for clues.Multidisciplinary, thank you SO much for your comments. Your intellect will come in handy over the next hunt. Dave

beerdrinkingfool 6 years, 4 months ago

ok first i loved it . had to bring megan into it and well all the clues fit for the info center too. megan did sooo much to help me. i love her. on thursday i went to far south again to look for it . was going to the roads, and in that corner too is powerlines gas main (marked ) and a water tap( 3 convuerge). but was fun . ok i had to think out of the box and it is a story that involves boonefarm wine. ask nice and might be a pod cast about it and how we did it .p.s. she found it with out me but still put me in there love her againp.s.s the belvedere is a raised mound in a layed out garden( ok pitchers mound in a ball park, 4 sentries past, the bases. you dont know how many fields we went to and games we stopped to look there.)

David Lignell 6 years, 4 months ago

Sorry, beerdrinkingfool. Thanks for taking up the challenge, anyway. Appreciate it. BTW, if you were that close, then you'll be even closer next time. Just remember to watch out for a trio of pirates. If they're around, it's best to deflect them with a comment such as, "Hey, I think I see the treasure across that busy highway there. Yes, that's it for sure." If you see them running straight for the onramp and exclaiming "YAR," then you've just bought yourself a few precious minutes to search further.

beerdrinkingfool 6 years, 4 months ago

i am mike limburg i am part of the goup that found the treasure so pppttthhhhh , yes i an the bearded one

mbh 6 years, 4 months ago

I think the thing you should keep in mind is that this is supposed to be something fun, for everyone. The moment it stops doing that is the moment you retire the game. And while ground rules are good (the ones you have already created) I don't think we need to become sticklers about who can be on a team together or how many times you can win. Quite honestly if you don't want a team to win again, that should just make you and your team work twice as hard to find the treasure before they do. And remember, what may have worked for us this time around, might fail us completely the second time. That's the beauty about these things, everyone has a fair chance.Sour grapes indeedMegan

David Lignell 6 years, 4 months ago

Multidisciplinary,You were wise to go to bed and then check in the AM. Beerdrinkingfool and I stayed up way too late. Thank goodness I have a soccer game to go to where I can don my shades and rest a bit. Take care. Dave

David Lignell 6 years, 4 months ago

Dirndl, of course.,,though I'd prefer not to be the one wearing it!

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 4 months ago

MultidisciplinaryI think you remember incorrectly a little.The hunt started (KLWN, KLZR) around 1951 and ran into the late 80s or early 90s.Our family found 4 or 5 of them. 2 consecutively. The second one year the first the next. There was a lot of ill will between KU - who at one time said, "don't hide another one here." and some out of town searchers who constantly complained about how hard it was to search, get clues, etc. and the radio station(s) the sponsor of the hunts.Bad weather caused more than one treasure to be lost and they had to be rehid (in the same area) which hurt things because you could spend a week in a site where the treasure was but it had washed away or been carried off by a varmint only to have someone find it a couple of days later. Over the years people just started complaining too much. "It's too dangerous, it's too time consuming, You need to put it somewhere easy." etc. ad nauseum.A few years after KLWN, KLZR ended their hunts a station in Topeka, KHUM, decided to do a big one (they'd done local - in malls, etc.) and hid six (golden) hummingbirds throughout the five county area - we found three and some friends of ours (a KU student and his wife) found one. At a Thousand dollars a whack the treasure hunts were not only fun - we met many friends with some of whom we still try to maintain contact - but could make for a nice little party. We still, or should, have our "treasures" hints, clues, copies of letters, some of the cannisters and an audio tape or two of interviews with finders and a lot of stories about interesting things that happened on hunts.Sure was fun. Too bad you couldn't do it today........

beerdrinkingfool 6 years, 4 months ago

you know the pirate thing is great for a pic but hunting in that no.as stated before a belvedere is a raised mound we thought ball park.so going there in a pirate outfit while a game or pratice is going on scares me the thought of a bunch of 9 yo girls chaseing me with baseball bats and throwing baseball me is not my view of fun ,(as i scream arrrgghh in a high girl voice as i am running away )and i dont think alex would be will to wear a parrot suit all day , or play the cabin boy role (hmmmm must talk to him about that ) but megan i am sure she would love to dress up as a nice pirate wench.

simplyamazed 6 years, 4 months ago

Help! I knew nothing about a hunt! Sounds like it was a blast and I would love to participate if there was another one. Where and how do I find out about this if it goes on again?

Nikki May 6 years, 4 months ago

I looked at the clues, and gave up as I was too busy this week to search and too lazy to even think about it. However, I was very interested in the results. I admit, I wouldn't have found it this fast even if I tried. Awesome job. Anyway, simplyamazed, I'm adding this blog to my google reader so that if a new post comes up, I can at least read it.

David Lignell 6 years, 3 months ago

Reticent_Irreverent, Multidisciplinary...I'm not a fashion guru. (Just ask my wife.) Still, I think we'll have a colorful array of treasure hunters in the coming days. Yar! Heck, I may even wear pantaloons. Please note: my wife refers to them as Matador pants because they're so tight on me (i.e., I've added a few pounds via chicken wings and beer) that the pockets flair out like rabbit ears. Not sure you can decipher that, but I'll give you a free marker as an intelligent adult.

David Lignell 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for your feedback everyone. We moved to Kansas in 1996, so I didn't know about the older hunts. I'll be mindful of them and some of the reasons why they were discontinued. I think keeping it safe, simple and fun are good guiding principles for me. BTW, the KHUM hunt with golden hummingbirds at $1,000 a pop is a great one, but a bit out of my budget I'm afraid. Still, if any of you know any recent Lotto winners who want to contribute to a treasure fund:.hmmm:.Anyway, sounds like we should do it again soon. Absolutely! Maybe we can get an announcement on a local station or newspaper and get a lot of folks meeting and searching together. Who knows, you could be celebrating with Limburg and the Hawmans next time. YAR!Let's give it a couple of weeks rest before another hunt, though. Probably after Memorial Day. I'll give you a head's up before posting the riddle. That way the kids will be out of school and can join in the family fun. I'm thinking dollar coins would stand the weather better than a gift card. In the meantime, please continue to share your thoughts and memories. They're interesting to read and may prompt further ideas.

beerdrinkingfool 6 years, 3 months ago

no no those pants that are russian and german officer pants that are tight on the calf and lower thigh then go puffy but show off the butt and a riding crop and i short jacket withe ...a ..leather .. emmm am i in the right blog area?arrrrggghhh

David Lignell 6 years, 4 months ago

Reticent_Irreverent,The trinkets idea suits well with my pocket book. Something unique and weather-worthy. Something limited to the LJWorld also makes sense. If people are having fun, then let the word spread locally. Good ideas. Thanks!