LJWorld.com weblogs Southern Perlo

The Rich Are Begging--For Your Vote!

This year the rich are running for office.

Having purchased the toys, ransacked the economy, cowered their peers, pink-sipped thousands, finangled millions, handled the stress of it all by vacationing in places beyond everyperson's dreams, the last and ultimate gold ring for those who have a limited tradition of service or accountability to the people is the coronation of winning elected office! Being voted into power is both an installation and secular absolution!

It means that others think I am as bright, talented, and visionary as I think I am, and by God, I will spend a fortune on radio and television to convince them. There are rules here, however, complicated courtesan manners and rites to be followed: no "ghetto" appearances in low income minority neighborhoods; only smiles in suburbia with good camera angles and architectural backdrops that hint at my prowess as a builder; a stroll in the outdoors, preferably in jeans, to show I am a can-do kind of guy or girl, never mind actually examining the details of the non-existent record of what I did in public service, or how it affected the bottom line of you, the voters.

http://www2.ljworld.com/users/walterr... But let me make it clear: I want to be crowned! And I will sacrifice for this special chance to serve. (Why I will spend huge sums of my own money without contributing to institutions that have viable needs; and I will spend at an inconceivable burn rate to show you how important it is to me that you affirm my narcissistic belief in my self-anointment, and while I'm throwing away everything for you (well, disposable millions!), you won't have to door knock, contribute funds, or do live robo-calls; I'm making it easy; trust me, love me, adore me; just vote, for me!)

If they win, these homecoming king and queen wannabes will have real power. So will we usher in Roman-style democracy, in which only the rich engage in public service and hold the scepter of power? Will we replace the populist idea on which America braced its birth? Will we believe the rich are just one of us? http://www2.ljworld.com/users/walterr... It is telling that so few of those with golden parachutes have followed the path of Bill Gates and provided money and leverage in support of a direct, non-elected impact on communities and family life. Gates' support of computer access, literacy, and AIDS services and prevention is done without the trappings of power and privilege which he knows as well as anyone. He serves important needs in providing opportunities for others and makes his dollars count and his influence felt.

The sad thing is all the money the rich are spending could have done far more good for the people they seek to "represent" than they will by buying and winning an election.

"O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar."

Thanks for reading! /wr. Please, stir the Perlo; leave a comment. All images, fair use.

Comments

Flap Doodle 4 years, 11 months ago

"...pink-sipped thousands, finangled ..." Proofread first, then pontificate. Doing it the other way around is might lead us to think you haven't thought this through carefully.

walter rhett 4 years, 11 months ago

I can think -- I just can't spell! Actually, I looked it up and still added an "n." You're the better guy, snap; thanks for reading . . . A discrete mistake, not one compounded , , ,

weeslicket 4 years, 11 months ago

a lost "l"sends you into a tizzy? that's just slilly. (there, i put the lost "l" back in play for you)

Amy Heeter 4 years, 11 months ago

You know what he is saying. Perhaps he is posting close to home. The economy is getting worse every day and now the current administration wants us to buy so that all the banks and motor companies can turn a profit. Sorry I have tightened my belt and plan to keep it that way until this passes. I am trying to survive the depression. Obama may have chosen to write those checks but I do not intend to support it.

walter rhett 4 years, 11 months ago

Busted! But smiling! Actually, I thought I'd leave that in to see if anyone picked up on it. But it's point is to repeat the more obvious pun: that populism is the myth the oligarchs, including those who are running now, would have us believe. Hence, the verb "braced." I actually give it away in the next sentence: Does anybody believe the rich are just one of us? There was, however, considerable spin that "everyman" was important; Washington traveled South, roughing it, being hailed widely. Oratory soared. And Thomas Paine, seems, at least to me, to be a true believer.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 11 months ago

The Aristocracy Corporations have been shaking all the money out of the pockets of Americans for so long that we're almost out of money.

Now the corporations are trying to figure out how to get more money out of Americans when we don't have anymore... TAX BREAKS for the richest and no more capital gains tax!!! That way they're still taking our money, but not directly out of our pocket.

weeslicket 4 years, 11 months ago

wow. quite a link. here's the link to their "mother page". http://thepeoplescube.com/

no imagery there to be concerned about. no siree. nothing there to look at. nope.

2 questions snap: what are neo-kulaks?
and why do they need to be "liquidated"?

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 11 months ago

Be careful or you'll get accused of being a hater of wealth like I was. All because I said I hate women who wear shoes on their feet that cost more than what I brought home in a month's pay.

weeslicket 4 years, 11 months ago

this article caught my attention at random. so, once again, in late on this.

i had 2 basic questions after reading this article and subseqwent posts (yes, that's in there for the guardians of spelling conventions). 1. i am surprised that no tea party members, financial conservatives, neo-conservatives, libertarians, whomevers, state a "label".... i am surprised that none have offered any helpful comments on this topic. 2. i am also wondering whether walter rhett may be better of (he, he) posting this commentary on larryville.com. an interesting experiment that would be.