LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

HyVee's Annual General Mills Cereal Sale is Here

I've had email after email asking me if I know when the annual General Mills cereal sale will be at HyVee this year and I now have an answer:

The fabulous "Your Cereal Is Basically Free" sale on General Mills cereals will begin THIS WEDNESDAY, August 31! I'll wait while you celebrate....

The details of the sale are a little different from last year, but the principal is the same. I talked with the manager of HyVee on 6th Street and here is what I learned:

• All General Mills cereals are included in the catalina sale, select cereals will also be greatly reduced in price ... to the point that they are basically free after coupons and catalinas.
  • Buy 4 General Mills cereals and use the $4/4 coupon to be found in their weekly flyer. After you check out, you will be given a $4 off your next order catalina.
  • You may use other manufacturer's coupons in conjunction with the sale and catalinas, inching you further and further towards "free" cereal.
  • You will only receive ONE $4 catalina on each transaction whether you purchase 4 boxes of cereal of 40. If you plan on purchasing multiple boxes of cereal, you will need to conduct multiple transactions of 4 boxes. HyVee on 6th street will allow you to conduct several transactions in a row provided there is not a line. (And, well, that's just good coupon form.)
  • In addition, they will also allow you to "Roll" your catalinas from one transaction to the next.

Your transactions could look something like this:

Buy 4 General Mills Cereals

Use $4/4 HyVee coupon from weekly flyer

Use any combination of manufacturer's coupons to equal off 4 boxes of cereals

Use $4 Off Your Next Order catalina

You may actually find yourself needing to purchase extra items because you cannot receive "Cash Back" on a transaction at HyVee.

Luckily ... with all of that cereal on sale HyVee will also be running a $0.99 sale on half gallons of milk Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Included in the General Mills sale this year will be fruit snacks. These will be eligible for the $4/4 HyVee coupon, but will not print a catalina. They will be priced at $1.99 each. With no other coupons but the one from the flyer, you will be getting them for $0.99/each.

Now....where can you get your hands on some manufacturer's coupons to sweeten these deals?

In today's Journal World you will find a $0.50/1 various General Mills cereals coupon.

There are a variety of coupons from the 8-07 General Mills Sunday Back to School insert

$1/2 Basic 4, Chex, Fiber One, Honey Nut Cluster, Oatmeal Crisp, Raisin Nut Bran, Total, Wheaties from 7-31 Smart Source

This is a great example of a sale that can be utilized for strengthening your own stockpile and taking a moment to donate some extras to local charities.

Happy Shopping!

**All of the info I received on rolling catalinas and doing multiple transactions was from the manager at the 6th street HyVee. I am not sure what policy will be utilized at the 23rd Street HyVee... be sure to let us know if you have been over there!

Comments

gutenberg 3 years, 4 months ago

Jenn, I am unfamiliar with the term, "catalinas", referring to future coupon discounts. Can you help me understand the origin of the term? Thanks...and keep up your good work!

SuperJenn 3 years, 4 months ago

Of course!

A catalina is a coupon that prints off of a little machine next to the receipt printer at the store. Various coupons print from there at different times, sometimes they are regular manufacturer's coupons like you find in the paper, other times they are "On Your Next Order" coupons.

On Your Next Order is generally a $$ off amount and generally can be applied to any purchase you make before the catalina's expiration date. Occasionally, the On Your Next Order will specify that it can only be used on your next purchase of product X.

In this sale, the $4 catalina that prints is off any future purchase that you make.

I hope that helps!

9070811 3 years, 4 months ago

Catalinas are the coupons that print with your receipt at checkout.

Katara 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm pretty happy with this sale. It always allows me to stock up on Chex so we have plenty to make the mix with throughout the fall and winter.

It is also an excellent opportunity to make donations to the food backs as Jenn has said.

penguin04 3 years, 4 months ago

Do you happen to know if they'll have extra $4/4 HyVee coupons on hand at the register if you want to purchase multiple transactions, or will we need to buy multiple newspapers to get more than one of these coupons.

Katara 3 years, 4 months ago

They have them at the entrances of the store. They should be on a circular rack right when you walk in or otherwise pretty close to the entrance. They'll probably go fast though.

They also will be in that free paper that comes on Tuesdays that has the classifieds and all the store ads in it. The name escapes me at the moment. River City Something...

SuperJenn 3 years, 4 months ago

Both Madman and Katara are right. They are generally available at the store and are in their flyers which are delivered on Wednesdays.

Last year the checkers just kept them at the register and scanned the one they had handy. I also had them allow me to just hold onto my coupon and keep scanning it.

I would get your hands on one...and not worry about it after that!

madman 3 years, 4 months ago

Last year on 6th they had them taped to boxes of cereal too. And when they ran out, if you just told the cashier you wanted to use the coupon, they would scan the ad they had up at the register.

gages_mom 3 years, 4 months ago

Do the stores stay well stocked? I am sure there will be lots of people there grabbing up tons of cereal. Also do you know how long this sale runs? Thanks.

SuperJenn 3 years, 4 months ago

I disagree with Kris .... I seem to remember that every time the stock would deplete...they would restock the next morning.... I was really stressed last year about them running out ... I made a trip each night to do several transactions (trying to be courteous to others and not clear the shelves all at once ;) ) ... and it felt like they would never run out.

Kris is right though, the prices varied between the two stores last year, as did their policies on multiple transactions and rolling the catalinas, etc.

Kris Adair 3 years, 4 months ago

Last year the stock would deplete quickly on higher demand items. If you want something that most people enjoy (Honey Nut Cheerios) or one that has a better price you may want to visit in the morning. Last year the prices were different from 6th to 23rd. Regardless I still got a killer deal and had cereal my family loves for pennies for many months.

gutenberg 3 years, 4 months ago

Thank you, Jenn, for helping me learn that catalinas are coupons generated at the point of sale. I didn't know a special name was associated with those kinds of coupons.

Keep up your good work. Cheers!