LJWorld.com weblogs Shop Talk with Jenn and Julie

Are you loyal to your hairstylist?

In Sunday’s Target ad, select 32-ounce TreSemme hair care products are $3.49. This is a great price for the size.

Seeing this got me thinking. In our quests to save money, do you sale shop when looking for hair care products or are you pretty loyal to a brand? Do you shop around for low prices when you are planning for your haircuts and color? Or are you loyal to one hair stylist?

I’ve moved around several times and have had a hard time finding a hair stylist I like. And when you do find the one, you’re willing to pay whatever the price to have your hair done right.

When we moved to Lawrence, I was referred to a salon in town. Again, I was paying quite a hefty price for a cut and color. After a few stylist changes (not my doing), I was getting fed up with not always getting the style I wanted and still paying the high price. In comes my current stylist. I met her through work about two years ago and have been with her ever since. Her prices are half of what I’d been paying, and she’s really good.

So why is it, that you can pretty much get the same services, and yet some salons feel it necessary to charge so much more than others?

I’d like to hear from you readers . . . are you willing to keep paying the higher prices or shop around to find the best deal on services rendered by a salon?

Let’s hear it from the men, too. Does it matter who cuts your hair, or do you rely on one certain barber?

How much are you willing to spend for a haircut or style?

Comments

areyousure 4 years, 11 months ago

I have gone to the same stylist for over ten years. I pay more money than would like to but I never have any complaints about the cut or the color. I will admit that the price minus the tip is getting close to the limit. I no longer buy salon products and the tip has gotten smaller to stay within the budget.

The main reason - on the first visit, she didn't ask if I brought any pictures or how I wanted my hair to look. She looked at my hair and the shape of my face and told me what would be the best to work with both.

youngjayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

I've been with the same stylist for about 5 years. Her prices are reasonable and I'm always satisfied when I walk out the door. She listens to me and works with my desires, sharing her expertise. She focuses on what she's doing; not distracted or trying to multitask - which I appreciate.

Linda Hanney 4 years, 11 months ago

This is an interesting question. I have been very loyal to my stylists over the years.. Perhaps it's because they become good friends as well as have the ability to cut my short hair so it looks the way I like. However, when I have to change, I always check how much a cut costs before making the appointment.

treidy 4 years, 11 months ago

When I was a student and when living in Lawrence after I graduated, I use to go to Images. As a man, I was use to going to the same barber in KC my whole life (who I still occasionally visit). However, once I went to Images Salon and Scott cut my hair I very rarely went anywhere else. I am sure the prices are high for some of their other services but a men's cut it equally priced as the barber I had go to. Now that I am living in Mississippi I usually grow my hair out and wait til I visit KC or Lawrence to get my hair cut. Scott and Images is the best!!!

countrygirl 4 years, 11 months ago

We love Katie and Lisa at Statements. The prices are good and when I get compliments on my hair I always give them the credit. I can't do a thing with it on my own!

dragonwagon2 4 years, 11 months ago

Debbie Johnson at Shear Perfection has been my stylist for at least 15 years. My hair is difficult to deal with and she always makes it look great. I'd recommend her to anyone but don't you all go because I still need MY appointment time :)

hip_gma 4 years, 11 months ago

Fairly happy with my stylist. I always find that the first time you go to a new stylist they seem to listen to what you want. Then after you make other visits to them they get more chattier and don't seem to pay attention to cutting; they're more interested in talking. So all you stylists reading this, as for my opinion, less talk and more attention to what your client wants. Thanks!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

---my "hair stylist" will charge you extra for the beard, so be prepared, LOL.

yes I looked around and selected a barber who is particularly good with the beard.
he charges $13.50 for hair and beard. then of course I tip above that.

johnadavies 4 years, 11 months ago

I like being able to get a haircut at 6am in the morning. I have paid more than what I pay at Downtown or the Amyx barbershop and have gotten less. I'm not knocking more costly hair stylists but for me the true value is a nice cut of the fewer and fewer hairs that I've got left and maybe a little conversation about local politics or KU sports with some barber, whoever they are, in one of those two shops. I'm not meaning to leave out the other barbershop downtown I just can't think of their shops name right this second!

Good luck to KU in all sports and lets hope the new school fight song can inspire us all to greatness! ;)

Kari, not leaving you out but I go there with my wife! :)

lawrencekansan 4 years, 11 months ago

I started having my hair cut by Roxanne at Static back in college. She is by far the best stylist I have been to. I don't even want to consider looking around for a stylist that might charge less as she does a great job on my hair every time I go.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 11 months ago

I second, third, fourth, and fifth that! I love Roxanne and I get stopped by strangers on the sidewalk asking me who does my hair! It's kind of hard to be honest because it takes longer to get back in but I am so proud of her and all of her shopmates - I would go to any of them.

(p.s. Roxanne, I'll take a free haircut for this! - Linda A. ) hee hee

grammaddy 4 years, 11 months ago

Very loyal, she's been my best friend since high school, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. I take the grandsons to Watson's on 9th. Nelly and Marty are very good with them and the boys love running into some of the KU athletes there.Nelly collects autographs for them too.

Mike Edson 4 years, 11 months ago

I still drive to Manhattan, KS to see my barber of 11 years because he knows how to cut curly hair and make the cut last for over a month. Most other barbers just use electric clippers and the cut looks bad in two weeks. I still haven't found a barber here in Lawrence. I just don't feel like putting up with the search and bad haircuts.

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

I am one hot piece! I allow only a select few to touch my golden fleece..I do like to bounce back and forth between them , being the modeling whore that I am. I find it difficult to go into a salon to get my hair done-usually, they sit you in front of a mirror and try to talk about little stuff....HELLO? how can anyone sit around and talk about stuff that doesn't matter, while my the cosmic reflection of my image adorns their mirror? I should be charging them! meanwhile, it is very often that a group of women will flock around and gaze at my beauty (I'm pretty used to it) Oftentimes, I hear the compliments whispered back and forth, like: "look at his skin-it is perfect!" or "OMG-those are the most noble eyes" or "he has a 90 degree chin, chiseled from granite" ahhh, sometimes I will 'accidently-on-purpose' drop a lock of my trimmed greatness on the floor just to watch the women scramble for it..."ladies, keep your cool-please!" ahhhh yes, you all have a wonderful day, and stay pretty.

Stephanie Harris 4 years, 11 months ago

I have super thick hair and Sam at Headmasters is by far the BEST stylist that has ever done my hair. She is amazing and I won't let anyone else touch my hair!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 4 years, 11 months ago

I've very loyal. I cut my own hair. I charge myself the embarrassment of a lousy cut but I tip myself very well just the same.

lv 4 years, 11 months ago

I am very loyal to my hair expert-Terry at Hair Experts! She is fabulous, and does wonders with not only my hair, but my husband's (and he is picky)! Def make an appt with her

LadyJ 4 years, 11 months ago

My husband is very loyal, but then I'm free, he could tip once in a while though.

Mari Aubuchon 4 years, 11 months ago

I also cut my hubby's hair He cuts mine as well, so we tip ourselves with a dinner at Free State with the money we saved; )

Kat Christian 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh heck yes - he's the BEST. Louis at Hairport is a hair god. Has never given me a bad haircut in all the 7 years I've been going to him.

Mike Hatch 4 years, 11 months ago

I used to be, when I had more hair and did more with it. Now, it doesn't really matter, it always comes out looking the same no matter who does it.

But I'm not too hard to please. My mom used to cut the hair of me, my brother and my dad. When I'd hear those clippers fire up, I'd hide under the bed.

gccs14r 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm happy with my stylist, enough so that I've been a customer of hers for about ten years now, even following her from one salon to another. These days it's about $22 with tip, and I go about every eight weeks.

domino 4 years, 11 months ago

Used to be VERY loyal - had 1 stylist who did my hair for 20+ years. Even when a divorce & moving put me 2+ hour from him, I would continue to make the drive every 3 months - would have a local lady trim inbetween, but if I wanted anything special or new done, it was only him. He's the one who cut my long hari (long enough to sit on!) to super short (2" or so) and I never hesitated. He died of cancer 3 years ago and I've jumped around since then. Nobody could do my hair the way he did!!

hodgie 4 years, 11 months ago

The Green Room Salon is the best! Especially, Brad Hestand. I've been going to see him for years and I wouldn't go anywhere else. It took me some time to find someone who I can have genuine conversations with, who isn't patronizing, and does an awesome job with cut and color. I love Brad!

beachmama 4 years, 11 months ago

Ames at the Blue Dot downtown. Best in town. Period.

katiemargene 4 years, 11 months ago

I have been following my stylist faithfully for 8 years now. I started going to Kristie when she was at a salon in Lawrence back in 2002 and have followed her all around the Lawrence/KC area ever since. In 2007 I moved to Memphis and nearly had a breakdown at what I thought would be my last appt. with Kristie... but after not being able to find someone as awesome as her in the South I decided I would just always get a cut in when I came home for a visit. Now I live in Texas and still drive or fly home to see her at her very own salon, La Bella Vita Hair Studio, located on Mass St. In fact this article has reminded me that I need to make an appt. with her for my trip home in September!

If you are currently a hair floozy looking for the right stylist to commit to check out Kristie at La Bella Vita... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1420564125&v=wall&story_fbid=146560755372731&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply#!/pages/Lawrence-KS/la-Bella-Vita-Hair-Studio/110326559008172?ref=ts&__a=13&ajaxpipe=1

uruguayo 4 years, 11 months ago

Erin Medina at Salon Blush is a great stylist. She listens, and let's you know her opinion as well. She's been doing hair for 8 years and is always picking up new techniques. Salon Blush actually has an add on marketplace right now and coupons if you are wanting to try her out.

avetaysmom 4 years, 11 months ago

Z's all the way, haven't so far had any issues with any of the girls that have done my hair.

kugrandma 4 years, 11 months ago

The only stylist for me is Taylor at The Velvet Chair. Love her

Scott Frazier 4 years, 11 months ago

Malcolm @ Amyx on Mass. Busy, but worth the wait!

Silly_me 4 years, 11 months ago

Cyndi at Bella Salon has been our stylist for our whole family for going on 12 years now..she has seen my girls grow up and we have been there as she worried about her husband deployed in Iraq. She knows our hair and does a great job and is like family to us. Would never switch.