LJWorld.com weblogs seriouscat

A Letter to the disillusioned

This is a letter to the people who want to take back America. No not you Tea Party guys. Thanks but no thanks. I’ve had enough with the shouting, angry, victim mentality. You’re like the guy who tries to finesse a girl into dating him with increasingly desperate maneuvers that border on creepy. Maybe you aren’t all racists but I don’t care. It’s too late and I really want don’t to hear any more of what you have to say unless it’s “sorry for inciting and legitimizing the crazy, militant, dangerous people”.

If you have painted yourself into a big government democrat or lil government republican corner, this letter probably is not for you either. Believe it or not, it’s not all about size.

No, I’m talking to YOU; the frustrated, jaded but hopeful, tired but optimistic, skeptical but not hateful and cynical and driven to misanthropy. You are the people who:

Hate what illegal immigration is doing to our country but don’t hate the immigrants for it.

Believe marijuana should be as legal as cigarettes and alcohol, but also realize that people who use it every day are just as pathetic as people who chain smoke or get drunk every day.

Would have liked to see health care reformed from the OUTSIDE, by empowering customers and on-the-ground providers, and not from the INSIDE, by the people who screwed it all up in the first place.

Don’t hate everything Obama does, and didn’t even hate everything Bush did but just dislike the government in general, because voting for the lesser of two evils all these years has left us with nothing but a bunch ‘mini-me s’.

Cry at the fact that for 2,000 years the republican mantra has been “fck” the poor and in the new global economy billionaires are throwing million dollar birthday parties for their supermodel wives, and there is nothing out of sorts about a socialite wearing a $500,000 necklace with her $30,000 gown to a charity ball. A*holes.

You are the people who have opinions and passion, but don’t have answers and arrogance.

You are weary of celebrities and rock stars, and wary of athletes.

Are equally as disgusted at educated people who look down their noses at those who have not had their educational opportunities, and ignorant people who have a universal disdain for anyone who has more than a high-school diploma.

Don’t really know for sure about global warming, and would rather stop arguing about it and start building nuclear power plants pronto.

Doesn’t eat fast food, buys local and drools over organic tomatoes, but would never be so arrogant or naïve to think that those food choices are options for everyone.

Don’t smoke, drink to excess, or text while driving, and don’t think it’s unreasonable government interference to regulate these types of activities.

Would dance in the street if all the agricultural subsidies, auto industry subsidies, airline subsidies, Wall Street subsidies, mortgage subsidies, tax abatements, corporate welfare, and all the schemes written into the tax code were to get repealed, but know better and dance anyway just to dance because sometimes that’s all one of us ‘regular folks’ can do.

I am writing this letter because I know you are out there. Frustrated, tired of the hyperbole, the ad hominem, the childish semantics that dominate our national discourse.

You feel you have something substantial to add, but feel drowned out and shouted down by the “I know you are but what am I” rhetoric.

Let's talk.

Comments

devobrun 5 years ago

Awareness raising and empowerment.

There's a one two punch for modern B.S.

There are so many people, organizations, and even governments trying to raise my awareness that if I became any more aware, my mind would explode in a 4th of July fireworks extravaganza.

The only reason I need empowerment is because the other dude is empowered. Matching his empowerment by my own empowerment only causes an empowerment war.

Watch out for the empowerment gap!

How 'bout this:

Teach people to individually deal with that which "we" don't know.
Here's a current example. There is a good chance for big storms in Larryville tonight. I don't need Live-Eye Late-Breaking Working-For-You to tell me this.

I grew up in Oklahoma and have lived in Kansas now for about 40 years. It is warm, humid and windy. The air is ripe for a storm this evening. That's all we know. Where will the bad wind strike? Dave the weather man doesn't know.

Prepare yourself for the storm. Bring in the lightweight patio furniture. Candles, flashlight, heck you know the routine. It might not happen, it might. That's all you need to know.

My awareness of this situation needs not be elevated to panic, nor should yours.

Now repeat this for global warming, health care, investment instruments that are so complicated that nobody knows what the heck they are. Stop the endless "experts" telling us what to do. They friggin' don't know any better than you do.

Be safe tonight.

seriouscat 5 years ago

"Stop raising my awareness. Leave me alone. Stop lying to yourself and others and , for once, say "I don't know" when you don't know."

Great comment devobrun. Thank you! This is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

whats_going_on 5 years ago

I agree with ya, and thats why I don't have a TV. If I'm really worried about it, I'll turn on the radio and/or check the weather online. But the problem is, if they DONT "warn" people, and something does happen (or heck, even if it doesnt)...somebody is sure to b*tch about it later and/or sue.

Ugh.

Liberty275 5 years ago

I'm not disillusioned, not bothered by illegal immigration (unless they commit a felony when they are here), think all drugs should be legal, prefer no stupid mandates to buy insurance, know the republicans didn't exist 2000 years ago, don't car about celebrities, don't care how smart other people are, don't believe in AGW, like fast food, don't smoke, can knock down a fifth of Glenlivet in a night, realize that some subsidies are necessary, and use too many commas.

I don't think you guys fit my standards.

seriouscat 5 years ago

You are right. You definitely are not one of the people this post is addressed to.

And by the way: definition of republic: a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

I wasn't referring to one of the current political parties in the U.S; inspired by Mel Brook's hilarious comedy "History of the World", I was referring to the system of government defined above that has been around for 2,000 years.

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

"...not bothered by illegal immigration (unless they commit a felony when they are here)," So you aren't bothered by misdemeanors? How forgiving of you. Check back with us after you are the victim.

seriouscat 5 years ago

Please. Stop.

Liberty275 5 years ago

OK, you can include the worst of the misdemeanors too. My point was that if an illegal alien is here to work for a living, I won't hold that against him. If I was a Mexican with crap for opportunity at home I'd probably be here illegally too.

Frankly, I wish the federal government would get off their butts and pass a sane temporary worker program and then lock down the border. That would go a long way towards alleviating the problem.

Kris_H 5 years ago

I feel ya.

Sick of the screaming heads on all sides of every question, instantly delivered by various media, none of whom has enough truth in them to fill my mug.

How to get people up off their apathy and engaged? That is my question.

In the meantime, we can always dance.

whats_going_on 5 years ago

Whoever wrote this letter, I think I love you.

whats_going_on 5 years ago

well sweet then, we're already IN kansas! Woot!

Jay Keffer 5 years ago

"Laugh at the fact that for 2,000 years the republican mantra has been “f*ck” the poor, and yet people still get all indignant about it like it’s some kind of modern human trait. Babies. "

If you are all about breaking the mold and killing off politics as usual, start with debunking the statement above. The 'republicans hate the poor' is old and tiresome.

I believe the majority of republicans think this way: "How about a hand up for those that really need it, and personal accountability for all?" and "When did we decide we had to make the finish line the same for everyone instead of the starting line?" Versus the minority that corrupt what good there might have been in the Tea Party because they are nut bugers and get all the attention.

Same goes for the stereotypes that plague the democrats. Drop the boring arguments that rehash the same boring clichés. Would make for more interesting and thought provoking blogs.

devobrun 5 years ago

Homeslice, I took this letter as an invitation for people to rant about the government. Tea partiers were discouraged, but otherwise........

What did you expect from such an invitation?

Oh, you found some of the entries to be "creepy". I find it creepy that you find open forum wild stream-of-unconscious diatribes.....creepy.

I led this response off with the first one. Seriouscat complimented me on my part.

You don't get it. Perhaps you never will.

Then don't comment about the other responders.

notaubermime 5 years ago

"Frustrated, tired of the hyperbole, the ad hominem, the childish semantics that dominate our national discourse."

And yet it also dominates your blog. Perhaps you are not so different from those whom you would accuse as you would like to think.