For more than 30 years we have been buffeted by the right wing's relentless propaganda message: cutting taxes will benefit us all because when "job creators" pay less taxes they use their additional funds to create jobs.
Many of us have scoffed from the beginning at the notion that human greed could be overcome as a result of a tweaking of our country's tax code. Nevertheless, the argument persisted. Worse, the ten year horror that has followed the right wing's imposition of President george w. bush's tax cuts and ruinous trade policies has apparently not cleansed support for the erroneous thinking from our land. Granted, roughly 20 percent of the country is so brain-washed and damaged by the criminal FOX media conglomerate that they would do anything to support their chosen brand no matter how ridiculous the assertion, but the remaining 80 percent of us have not yet seen fit to banish tinkle down, voodoo economics to the ash heap of history. If only there were an easily understood example of the fallacy of tax cutting to create jobs.
But wait, due to the current wranglings of the Democrats and Republicans representing corporate interests in our Congress, we may just be witnessing just such an instructive example.
As you have probably seen in recent headlines, government taxes to support the Federal Aviation Administration have recently lapsed. In addition to finally moving us closer to the day when airlines were finally free of the oppressive boot of government to fly whenever and wherever they wanted, the event has also allowed us to see the direct result of the elimination of a tax.
Have airlines used the windfall to create jobs? Have they passed the savings on to consumers? Are they investing in better service?
Of course not! Airlines simply raised their fares and passed the windfall on to their shareholders. They will continue to reap the benefits of the FAA services, of course, and when the price of their willingness to shirk payment toward a collective administration of the public airways comes due it will not be shareholders who pay the price.
And there you have it. Reaganomics, the george w. bush tax cuts, the whole deranged right wing wet exploitive dream of our future. It is all there for you to see, America, if only you will at long last wake from this horrible dream and have the courage to recognize it.
And then act.
All you need to know about the experiment in right wing governance that we have been engaged in since 1980:
It has been a record of miserable failure.
It remains to be seen if the American public will allow itself to continue to be abused.
Ms. Palin on Paul Revere:
"He who warned the British that they weren't going to be taking away our arms by ringing those bells and, um, making sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that, uh, we were going to be secure and we were going to be free."
And this woman is considered a legitimate candidate for President by a number of Americans.
After a week of former bush administration co-conspirators efforts to justify torture by this good country and claim some of President Obama's glory for killing OBL, Senator John McCain has had the decency to set the record straight. Despite the best efforts of the above-referenced right wing scoundrels to spread their propaganda through the corporate media, the senator is to be commended for his truth telling. Not that it will make a bit of difference with the racist, Obama hating right wing fringe, of course, but a nice reminder that there are a few honorable individuals left in what was once the Grand Old Party.
Following her striptease moves on national TV, Bristol Palin has demonstrated once again the values she learned from her wonderful parents. As noted in the following article:
Ms. Palin was paid 7x what her nonprofit actually donated to the teen pregnancy cause. Seems to me that she might have "earned" $35K and donated $200K+, but the Palin family seems to exhibit different values than I.
Recently, musician Bruce Springsteen wrote his local paper to praise their coverage of rising poverty, shrinking social services and tax cutting public policy. The letter may be viewed here:
How fortunate he is to live in a community in which the local paper shines light on such issues. That is not the case in the vast majority of the country today, including Lawrence, but these are voices and views that cannot be repressed forever.
Thanks, Boss, for reminding us.