LJWorld.com weblogs Science Becoming Religion

Obama Disrespected Voters in 3rd Debate

On October 22 voters tuned into a presidential debate expecting a serious discussion of foreign policy issues. Apparently President Barack Obama didn't understand that fact or didn't care. Or perhaps, he decided to use the show to audition for a new career on Saturday Night Live.

Obama responded to a statement by Mitt Romney about the navy being smaller than in 1916 by telling what some considered a joke instead of attempting to explain why he thinks the United States doesn't need a larger navy.

"But I think Governor Romney maybe hasn't spent enough time looking at how our military works. You — you mentioned the Navy, for example, and that we have fewer ships than we did in 1916. Well, Governor, we also have fewer horses and bayonets — (laughter) — because the nature of our military's changed. We have these things called aircraft carriers where planes land on them. We have these ships that go underwater, nuclear submarines."

The statement is something I might expect from a half wit comic like Bill Mahr, but not from a president who is supposed to be demonstrating why he should be retained as commander in chief. If I were a Democrat I might suggest it is the type of statement I would expect from Michele Bachmann

Obama's comparison of the size of the navy to the reduced need for horses and bayonets makes no sense. His use of this comparison indicates he doesn't understand military matters. Incidentally, I was recently reminded that our special forces troops initially entered Afghanistan on horseback. I also found out that bayonets have been used in Iraq.

His statements about aircraft carriers and submarines sound like something a child would say or maybe something an adult would say to a child. I would be remiss if I didn't suggest that Obama's statement might be something someone under the influence of alcohol might consider brilliant.

It might come as a surprise to Obama but "ships that go underwater" were used extensively by the Germans in WWI. Our navy had trouble protecting merchants ships from submarine attack because our navy was too small. Incidentally I won't fault Obama for using the word "ships" to refer to submarines, but the navy has traditionally used the term "boat" for a submarine rather than "ship".

Aircraft carriers date from WWI, but the first ships used seaplanes that landed and took off from the water and were only stored on the ship. The first carrier capable of launching and landing aircraft, the HMS Argus, wasn't launched until 1918.

Comments

Flap Doodle 2 years, 3 months ago

Snark and one-liners are all the Mope has left. He can't run on his record. He can't honestly answer questions about Benghazi. He won't call a press conference and take questions from what passes for actual journalists. He's gotta keep his base fired up.

milt3726 2 years, 3 months ago

Hopefully America can see through the charade and come to the conclusion that Obama is ill-equipped to lead this country and once again make it great. Romney/Ryan will be the two that lead America back to prosperity. Let America be America again! Vote Romney/Ryan 2012!

milt3726 2 years, 3 months ago

The nation’s problems will be solved when Barack Obama and his staff, his cabinet and his czars, his undersecretaries and “special assistants,” are finally evicted from their tyrannical and destructive positions of power. The ticket to ending joblessness is replacing the job destroyer with the job creator. That single act – the replacement of Barack Obama with Mitt Romney – may not do everything we need, but it will do more good with one single flick of a switch than any other action ever could.

kernal 2 years, 3 months ago

Mittens is not a job creator. I don't think he ever has been during his non-political career. But, then I'm not including personal staff hires.

Liberty275 2 years, 3 months ago

It's going to stink having a mormon for a president, but it won't stink as bad as four more years of Obama running our country into the ground economically. I don't like social conservatives; but I like unemployment a lot less.

Mike Ford 2 years, 3 months ago

he should've gone to the archie bunker writing circle at the coffee shop or the senior center......especially when the gop donut hole smacks his pocket book......

Tonya Foster 2 years, 3 months ago

I find it in poor judgement that LJW proudly posted this blog.

oldexbeat 2 years, 3 months ago

every thing Dolph Jr. thinks but can't say in front of his friends that read.

mom_of_three 2 years, 3 months ago

I had to read this today to get my good laugh.

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

This dolt is one of the reasons the blogs got buried. He needs to follow my advice to Swampy: when you feel like posting a blog, just go sit on the toilet instead. Result is the same.

Pastor_Bedtime 2 years, 3 months ago

Another Pulitzer-prize winning work from the Republican guy who advocates surgical "correction" of homosexuality.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Obama's gonna win. Is this guy really the reason the Sioux Falls football team is on the first page & I hafta search for reader blogs?

jafs 2 years, 3 months ago

Only you could take a 52-45 lead, and manage to find a way to make it sound like it's a bad thing.

whats_going_on 2 years, 3 months ago

I thought it was funny. If Romney had said it, you supporters would be ROFL.

Anyway, if we want to talk about disrespecting people, lets talk about the 47% debacle? No?

booyalab 2 years, 3 months ago

Actually Romney supporters don't love him as much as Obama supporters love Obama, so we probably wouldn't. In the future, you would be safe to assume that whatever you believe about Romney supporters is wrong since we are nothing like Obama supporters. We don't pledge undying fealty. We don't think Romney is the Messiah or Santa Claus or The Great Uniter/Healer/Whateverer

jonas_opines 2 years, 3 months ago

But the people on the other side will make believe that you believe all that stuff, just like you did for them, so it's still more or less the same.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

Given the Benghazi cover up courtesy of Barry and crew, I believe Mitt should have been giving the lecture on aircraft and sub capabilities and uses.

leaningleftist 2 years, 3 months ago

The poster is either drunk (again) or is an idiot, I'm thinking both. Quit polluting the world with your words.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 3 months ago

The Boston Globe endorsed Pres Obama. Simply because the Boston Globe backs a democrat does not make a liberal newspaper. Obama is no liberal! Obama comes off as a moderate republican...... like Bill Clinton.

There are many reasons to not support Romney. Number one he has no plans of his own just simply a replay of radical right wing conservative politics. Which does not represent republicans.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

You did listen to the debates right merrill ?

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

I wouldn't even refer to this missive as sophomoric. It's more of a grade school level piece. He would have been better served, and saved a lot of ink and paper, by simply writing "Obama is a stinky butt."