LJWorld.com weblogs Rolling along

With friends like these ...

“So, did you ride your bike today?” asked a racquetball buddy, smirking.

“What, no bike today?” joked another, smugly.

“Where’s the bike? Too snowy for ya?” asked a co-worker, savoring the moment as he held the door open as we walked in together from the, ugh, parking lot.

No, I didn’t ride today. No bike. No, it’s at home. Yes, it’s too snowy.

My regular commutes have been anything but lately. A bad run of weather, a pesky upper-respiratory infection and general lack of time and motivation have forced me to drive to work — and, yes, racquetball — much too much lately.

I’ve still gotten in a couple of rides, so I’m far from 0-for-’11, but I’ve driven far more than I’ve pedaled, and, I have to admit, I’m not taking it well.

I know a guy who’s an everyday, four-weather cyclist and big-time mile eater. I’ll call him Craig, since everybody else does. Craig contends he gets grumpy whenever he’s forced to use four wheels instead of two, and at first I laughed it off.

Of course, I was riding regularly at the time, and the yuks came more easily.

At the time, I thought I was immune to the grumps.

Then I noticed the cat and the kids cowering whenever daddy stomped in from the garage.

The seemingly innocuous comments and questions from friends and co-workers put me over the top.

I’m sure, deep down, they’re so accustomed to seeing me ride regardless of the weather they’re just inquiring in their own way about my well-being. But through my blind rage, I see a couple smiling with their eyes, grinning, elbowing each other, and I want to SHOVE MY FIST RIGHT DOWN THEIR … no, sorry, deep breath. I don’t mean that.

I’ll take the comments in the spirit in which I’m sure they were intended.

And just as soon as I get my bad-weather bike winterized, finally, and don’t have to contend with freezing rain or Snowmegeddeon or a 17-below wind chill, I’ll be back in the saddle, riding regularly again.

Thanks for asking.

Jerks.

Comments

Ken Harris 3 years, 11 months ago

In the same spot myself. It's been more than a week since I got on the bike...

seagull 3 years, 11 months ago

Avoid the winter cycling blues. Join John and Becky McClure's spin class. Pedal inside, although some times it feels as if it is outside, to great music. There are 40 or so other cyclists getting their cadence and heart rates up while biding the time til they can once again cycle outdoors.

pizzapete 3 years, 11 months ago

Good story, I've been getting the same "did you ride your bike" line from friends, too. It's been a couple weeks for me, but the roads are becoming a little clearer and hopefully I can get out for a ride later this week. Where is this spin class you've mentioned seagull? That sounds like fun.

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

Andrew, I have a friend/neighbor here in NW Douglas county who, for most of his working career rode a bicycle to his job in Lawrence, a round trip of 24 miles. The only things that would keep him off his bike were ice and lightning. His 'stable' included 6 to 10 bikes he would choose from depending on the route he intended to take. Retired now, and packing stainless steel hip joints, the bikes hang in testament in his garage to his miles better traveled.

mrjcg2 3 years, 11 months ago

Ride rollers if you have them, I've been swimming to keep the exercise high from dissapearing. Road season will get here!!!

Love your blog, hope to see you on the road some day.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 11 months ago

Andrew: through my blind rage, I see a couple smiling with their eyes, grinning, elbowing each other, and I want to SHOVE MY FIST RIGHT DOWN THEIR … no, sorry, deep breath. I don’t mean that.

I’ll take the comments in the spirit in which I’m sure they were intended.

Thanks for asking.

Jerks.

---Andrew andrew andrew.
have you considered seeing a professional about this cycle rage? the paranoid feeling that everyone is pointing and laughing at you?

chill out, oops, I mean take it easy. most of these people react this way because they envy you your disciplin and fortitude to even do some biking in this winter wonderland!

plus, how many of these with the evil smiling eyes have a bit of insulation they need to shed, need to start regular exercise. and you before them, it is just not fair they see your fit body, your strength, your ability to conquer the cold and snow, then write about it.
well Andrew, it's either point at you and laugh vs admit their inner schlub rules their lives.

how's the traffic count on this blog eh?

Kirk Larson 3 years, 11 months ago

Co-workers ask me, "Did you ride today?" I say, "You bet!" Riding in the snow is like skiing only cheaper. You're cold, but also sweaty and tired. When it's really icy I'll walk.