LJWorld.com weblogs "Reality" TV

Pet Peeves

http://worldonline.media.clients.elli... There are certain things that irritate me to no end.

Cell phone talkers in a place that is supposed to be quiet such as library or movie theater. If you can't go for an hour and a half without your umbilical cord, don't bother! No, answering the call and saying "hey I'll call you back" or "hang on I'm in the library" does not count as "being polite".

Parents who take every opportunity possible to brag about their kids. "Little Johnny sat up 2 weeks before the book said he should". "Little Susie does so much better than the other kids in her tumbling class it's amazing!" Blah, blah, blah. I get it, you are proud of your kids, good job. Just because I happen to be standing behind you in line at the grocery store doesn't mean I want to hear about it.

Bad drivers. Guess what, I'm in a hurry too so what gives you the right to cut me off in traffic, slam on the breaks and make a sudden right turn with no signal or floor it past me in a no passing zone? Nothing, that's what. People forget that driving is a privilege, not a right.

The "annoying laugh" girl. Every office has one and they always seem to be one of the single loudest laughers on the face of the planet. They also seem to think everything is funny.

PeOpLe WhO tYpE lIkE tHiS....enough said.

Bad grammar. No I'm not talking nitpicky stuff. I am talking about people saying "I ain't got none" or "You said you was going to be there" and seeing nothing wrong with it.

The list could go on and on but those are my top pet peeves. Does anyone else out there have the same issues? What bugs the heck out of you?

Comments

Music_Girl 4 years, 9 months ago

Wow I had no idea that there were so many pet peeves available and employed! My apologies for lack of responses this weekend...fried the cord on my laptop and it died (very sad).

You all had very good pet peeves to be sure. People who don't use turn signals or properly use roundabouts are very annoying. I don't know how many times I've been trying to pass on a highway and some jerk is going slow in the fast lane. I am generally a very laid back person but those drivers make me mad.

lmn, it's ok. I dislike when it's managers or coworkers who think they are better than you just because they have been at a company longer or get paid more than you and have no problem letting you know that they think you are dirt. Get over yourself!!

As far as the bad grammar, it is annoying when people blatantly disregard decent grammar. I have family members who says words "improperly" such as chimley (chimney), pitcher (for picture), warsh (for wash), punkin (for pumpkin), etc but using the wrong verb such as was (instead of were), etc is more annoying to me personally.

ThatGirl...I completely agree

Store checkouts, the balancing the checkbook thing made me laugh! I have worked in retail before and have seen that done so many times it isn't funny! A lot of places are going to automatic checks where you don't have to fill out anything except your signature which should help a bit but some of the older folks refuse to use that service. The "exact change" people bug me too.

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Dayle Hodges 4 years, 9 months ago

Really? We used to "worsh" ours!! But now, of course, we WASH them...and we don't eat ungyuns, we eat onions! It's hard to recognize area and familial oddities until someone else points them out! Some members of my family still go "over town" almost every day! Language is fascinating!

GardenMomma 4 years, 9 months ago

People who 'warsh' their clothes.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

When I was in junior high in Noel, Missouri I had an English teacher that never failed to make fun of us hillbillies and how we talked. She hated the way we said iron as in clothes the same way we say the metal, the way we said pitcher for picture and so forth. She tried to make us ashamed of who we were. I say the person writing or talking is far more important than their grammar or spelling.

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

Jaywalker

Please excuse me. I was not meaning to imply you employ the tactics of blog grammar police, those that use it when all else escapes them.

A period after a group of words denotes a sentence. We all make mistakes and I was trying to hit a softball. I will admit to axing the language regularly and making points as clear as mud.

I hope you have a good day.

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

Jaywalker

"...but what the hell is 'grammatical'?"

Did you need a word for the day?

Merriam Webster

grammatical 2 entries found.

Pronunciation: grə-ˈma-ti-kəl Function: adjective Date: 1530

1 : of or relating to grammar 2 : conforming to the rules of grammar

You are welcome.

jaywalker 4 years, 9 months ago

"That is an incomplete sentence and it is spelled “No one”. I do dislike folks doing this, one's who think the grammatical high ground is winning."

Wow, prospector. First of all "Poor grammar" was meant as a list item to Music Girl's question for the blog. I'm fairly confident that 'complete sentences' are substituted by collaquialisms and just plain brevity from time to time, particularly in comment sections like these. Next, 'noone' was a typo, but I do apologize. Lastly, not only is that last fragment nonsensical, but what the hell is 'grammatical'?
We all make honest mistakes. With 'axes' I was referring to perversions of our mother tongue, and stuff. Should have been more clear.

wordgenie8 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree about Imn's comment about people who insist on describing themselves as nice, kind, helpful... being a real pain. There seem to be whole crowds of such people in Lawrence who militantly refuse to accept that such qualities exist mainly in the eyes of the beholder. I have a related peeve, almost an anathema really, about those residents who can't seem to respect the reasonable personal boundaries of perfect strangers. It seems that people who need to go around talking about how nice , and kind, and helpful they are and are always trying to be are also major culprits in interfering in the business of strangers in annoying and disrespectful ways. Few people welcome having their personal belongings or their person messed with in public. Decent, sane people with at least average IQs usually respect the privacy and dignity and independence of those they don't know and can't claim to understand.

ThatGirl2 4 years, 9 months ago

People who think that everything is about them. Every comment, every glance....everything is somehow interpreted to be "about them." The ego on some people is insane. Trust me, you're not that important.

cds 4 years, 9 months ago

People who go to gas stations and spend 10 mins standing at the counter scratching lotto tickets while there is a line out the door of people waiting to buy something.

People who insist on writing checks at the store, we all know you have a debit card, use it! Save your checks for paying bills.

Having the food you ordered at a fast food place shoved in your face the second after they hand you the change, I do need a second or two to put that change in my pockets thank you.

People who think stopping at a stop sign/red light is just an option.

autie 4 years, 9 months ago

charliejohnson complaining about people that cheer for Kstate and KU.

People who poke along when it is time to go. That drives me nuts. If you are not ten minutes early, you are already five minutes late.

schula 4 years, 9 months ago

Good one, farfle. I hate it when the sackers put three items in one bag and two items in another.

farfle 4 years, 9 months ago

When the bagger and checker hold a conversation while their supposed to be checking you out or the clerk talks on the phone the whole time. Also, there is a supermarket chain that will use 10 bags when they could use three.

schula 4 years, 9 months ago

A few of my pet peeves:

Being late People who need to blow their nose and refuse to use a tissue Not using a turn signal When working KU Basketball games -- people that come to every game and act offended when you want to check their bags When at Hy-Vee or Dillions, sackers that put all the heavy stuff in one bag or put heavy items on top of your cookies or bread

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

D S Dude

Somebody is cashing the checks!

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for fixing that for me tange. I will be the first to say my vocabulary needs better grammat.

Dateable_Shelter_Dude 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm pretty laid back so I didn't have any until I read charliejohnson's list. Are you for real dude? Clue? Prospector, in the past, with the pick axe. Are we really sure he got divorces or did they just get disappeareded?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago

High on my list... that grammarical references are (legitimately) referred to as grammatical.

(I hate it when people insist on using proper grammat.)

prospector 4 years, 9 months ago

The manner's of the American people has just about reached sloven. What has happened to holding the door and saying thank you? I generalize but we all need to be better scouts.

Trustworthy Loyal Helpful Friendly Courteous Kind Obedient Cheerful Thrifty Brave Clean Reverent

Parents that facilitate it in their children really irk me. Your child's wonderment can be a real annoyance to others. The child that "flies" his plane around your table a hundred times or "drives " his truck under the tables, disrupting others and being a hazard to staff while you "chat" for a half hour after you eat, get the hell out!

Jaywalker

All ads suck! The only thing I ever bought from watching TV were cookbooks on PBS.

"Poor grammar. Noone “axes” a question."

That is an incomplete sentence and it is spelled "No one". I do dislike folks doing this, one's who think the grammatical high ground is winning. We all make mistakes and get the point even if it is poorly made, but you have to call it when the point is blown.

Me? Ain't never made a mistake, just axe all my ex-wives.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh, I have a menagerie... not that they're pets... just strays that keep returning even though I refuse to feed them.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 9 months ago

Flavored water, you want flavor buy koolaid

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 9 months ago

I can't stand it when people text while driving! It's not just the "kids." I know grown adults who do it. That really works me up because it's just stupid and dangerous.

jaywalker 4 years, 9 months ago

"If you don't want to hear people talk about their kids in the checkout line at the grocery, then don't listen."

Yes, by all means, just flip the on/off switch behind your ears. It's so simple to "not listen". For the love.....

woodenfleaeater 4 years, 9 months ago

Another one of my pet peeves........The increasing violence in Lawrence. I'll steal a quote from the great Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?". This is Lawrence folks, not Chicago or KC. Why don't all the troublemakers move to, or go back to Topeka or K.C., where violent acts are more acceptable?

jaywalker 4 years, 9 months ago

Slow drivers in the left/fast lane on the highway. Keep right except to pass, that is not a 'cruise lane'!!

Pharmaceutical commercials. Might be the biggest waste of money of all time. Someone needs that drug, they still need a doc to prescribe it. They market to the masses who have no control to buy them. Stop wasting our time!

Poor grammar. Noone "axes" a question.

mom_of_three 4 years, 9 months ago

The change thing - I can get over. I also used to work retail and although you, the customer, wants time to sort out their change, meanwhile the customer behind you wants to get through the line and out the door. So take your change, step away from the counter, and allow me to pay for my items and get out.
My pet peeve - the use of the work "like", and people who cannot use roundabouts.

Kris_H 4 years, 9 months ago

How about people who talk on the cell phone while they are in the bathroom stall? Makes me want to emphasize certain sound effectis for maximum audio enjoyment...

woodenfleaeater 4 years, 9 months ago

Text messaging...Just doing it in general...I don't know how to do it, and don't want to learn...Call them for Buddha's sake. How bout people who text while you're at lunch with them, or trying to talk to them? Text Messaging is an evil force started by the cell phone companies to make more money....CORRUPTION!!!!

Mary Darst 4 years, 9 months ago

OH, people who cheer for both KU and KState. How do you do that? "just because it is a state school"?????

Mary Darst 4 years, 9 months ago

ps..May I add all the stuff on Michael Jackson...There is no other news?

Mary Darst 4 years, 9 months ago

People that get food in the drive through at Sonic and tardiness.

woodenfleaeater 4 years, 9 months ago

The word "brain fart". I don't know why, I just hate it.

Dayle Hodges 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh, and Multi, I'm sure we live in different areas, but I think that same mgr/new girl combo works all over the midwest!!

Dayle Hodges 4 years, 9 months ago

Hmmm, there are a few I could go with here, but I have to admit poor grammer is pretty much at the top of the list. I understand that there are differing attitudes about words like ain't, but I once knew a very intelligent man, VP of a large company, and he used to say things like "I seen that". I mentioned to him that he was so much smarter than he sounded....he had grown up in a rural farming comunity, and that phrase, like ain't, was the "norm". His grammer obviously hadn't held him back, so who was I to say anything? I guess that's why they're just called "pet peeves". Now the checker who hands back wadded up bills with the change on the top......that's a different story!!

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 9 months ago

The brand new person behind the counter, who doesn't do something everyone does, then does something no one does. You mention it, then they proceed to tell you that they are doing it the way 'everyone' does it and why they 'all' do it that way. They say this 5 ft from the not so much older manager who knows you, knows you are a very regular customer and he knows you know she's wrong...but he just keeps silent like nothing is happening.(perhaps he will talk to her in private later, tastefully) Then, when you ask for a receipt or print out, the girl tells you why you don't need one."They are all due back the same day" (You've already had to beg for a sack for 12 items) And when you explain why, she has a rebuttal. This goes on three times, until she finally gives you one. Like hitting 'click' was a terrible imposition!

lmn 4 years, 9 months ago

It also peeves me when people feel the need to describe themselves as kind, nice or thoughtful. It seems like overcompensation. The kind and thoughtful people I have encountered throughout life, never go around proclaiming themselves to be that way - they just are.

cfdxprt 4 years, 9 months ago

People who think my use of ain't makes me dumb. I will oftentimes use ain't. Ain't got none, ain't got no idea, such and such...I ain't no hilljack either. Well, I grew up with that word thrown around, but I'm a darn good engineer - and ain't ain't never made it into a technical document. But, some people grew up where that was accepted, some of the smartest engineers I've ever met in my life use ain't. So be it, people understand what we mean...

Don't judge a book by it's cover, or its use of ain't, ain't none of us perfect ;)

lmn 4 years, 9 months ago

People who think their sh*t don't stink. (sorry, Music_Girl re: the grammar) ;-)

David Lignell 4 years, 9 months ago

Whiners....or should I say, WHIIIINNNNEEERsss.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

xbusguy I am with you, and sometimes they write a letter, look up at the clerk say something, next letter, so on and so one. Meanwhile I really thought I was just going to get in and out of the store and make the next bus. Roe, men and women are equal now so you go right ahead. Um, griping is not only for women anymore. I went though menopause so now I don't have those evil hormones raging, I am always kind, thoughtful, even tempered. Pet peeve, people who aren't those things. Get homeone treatment. People who don't comment when you have a chance. If you lived in Iran you would appreciate what we have here more. alm77, laugh as much as you want.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 9 months ago

The person at the check out counter, who not only has to write the check, but balance the check book before leaving.

alm77 4 years, 9 months ago

Sorry about my laugh, but I am a really fun girl. :(

bastet 4 years, 9 months ago

Grocery store clerks who hand you your change wadded up in a big ball with the coins in the middle and the receipt on the bottom. Even worse is when they balance the coins on the bills handing them to you with both hands. Then they start running other people's things over the scanner, while you are trying to figure out how to get your coins separated from the bills and the receipt and into your wallet. I work retail myself, and I always count back change. I know it's a forlorn desire to see that practice return, but PLEASE all you clerks out there: take the extra ten seconds to give your customers time to deal with the change like civilized human beings.

rubberband 4 years, 9 months ago

The phrase "My bad". I don't know why this bugs me so much, I just hate it.

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

Chronic B%$chers!

(Of which I am not, of course)

:-(

Pilgrim2 4 years, 9 months ago

Forget world peace, visualize using your turn signal.

blue73harley 4 years, 9 months ago

I promise that when I get old(er), I will NEVER, EVER search through a coin purse to give the exact change in a checkout line.

boltzmann 4 years, 9 months ago

"The "more than 20 items line hog". The sign clearly states "20 items or less" so unless you are going at 3am when there is only one check out lane, don't use this lane unless you actually have 20 items or less!!"

This is one of my pet peeves. Use "fewer" for countable objects (e.g., fewer people, fewer items, fewer bottles of water) and "less" for quantifying substances with a continuous range (e.g., less water, less milk, etc...). I realize that this is pedantic, but grammar is grammar and I do cringe slightly when I see a store with "15 items or less", instead of "15 items or fewer". There are stores that do have a sense of correct grammar and use "XX items or fewer", such as Whole Foods, but the local places (Dillon's, HyVee) do not seem to know or care.

Now I feel better - Now I have to get back to my actual life, which, the previous paragraph notwithstanding, I do indeed have.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 9 months ago

Resident birds being mistaken for migratory birds.

Satirical 4 years, 9 months ago

People who comment on other people's blogs

Kirk Larson 4 years, 9 months ago

Your list is too long. The thing about pet peeves is you have to feed them and nurture them, just like your real pets, so they flourish and reproduce. If you don't pay them any attention then, like real pets, they die.

gogoplata 4 years, 9 months ago

People who think driving is a privilege.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Is this man sick? Was he ordered to do this? Could not the pruning have waited until the fledglings were on their own?

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

Drivers who look at me disbelief as I am crossing the street on a green light, and then turn right in front of me, missing me by inches, glaring at me as they go by. Ten minutes of movie on the Chiller channel followed by fifteen of commercial. I am beginning to really hate that hair roller thingy. You should get a lot of hits on this one. Just sit back and watch them come in.

Jackie Bunnell 4 years, 9 months ago

My pet peeve for the day:

From: Jackie B Date: June 26, 2009 9:38:55 AM CDT To: greg_kramos@fws.gov Subject: VIOLATION - MIGRATORY BIRD TREATY ACT

Greg-

We wish to also make the Kansas office of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service aware of this violation. While it may seem like a minor issue to some, I believe that each individual animal often has no recourse but to rely on human counterparts to help protect them.

Jackie Bunnell President, Board of Directors Lawrence Humane Society

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jackie B Date: June 26, 2009 9:33:44 AM CDT To: parksrec@ci.lawrence.ks.us To: Lawrence Parks & Recreation

This morning, one of your workers pruned the maple tree in front of 805 New Hampshire. He blatantly ignored the fact that there was an actively occupied bird's nest in the branch he chose to cut off and discard.

This is a reminder that this is in violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (noted below), for which we believe the City of Lawrence and its employees should be held accountable.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act This Act, originally passed in 1918, provides protection for migratory birds. Under the Act, it is unlawful to take, import, export, possess, buy, sell, purchase, or barter any migratory bird. Feathers or other parts, nests, eggs, and products made from migratory birds are also covered by the Act. Take is defined as pursuing, hunting, shooting, poisoning, wounding, killing, capturing, trapping, or collecting.

Exceptions: Migratory bird hunting regulations, established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, allow the taking, during designated seasons, of ducks, geese, doves, rail, woodcock, and some other species. In addition, permits may be granted for various non-commercial activities involving migratory birds and some commercial activities involving captive-bred migratory birds.

Penalties: Individuals or organizations may be fined up to $5,000 and $10,000 respectively, and may face up to six months imprisonment for misdemeanor violations of the Act. Felony violations may result in fines of up to $250,000 for individuals, $500,000 for organizations, and up to two years imprisonment.