LJWorld.com weblogs puddleglum

where to take your valentine?

So what to do on a sunday with your valentine?

usually, our society mandates some sort of restaurant-involvement. okay, so where to go in lawrence kansas? Movies used to be all the rage, but seems like most new movies really bite. correct me if I'm wrong.

So what/where are you taking your valentine?

Comments

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

I almost forgot.... is it still acceptable to buy trashy lingerie for your sweetie? girls? speak up.

Mariposa 4 years, 10 months ago

Well, I don't have a sweetie, but I am going to take myself to see The Wolfman as I prefer horror movies. My favorite restaurant is Applebees. No lingerie, trashy or otherwise, I would prefer a gift basket from Bed, Breakfast and Beyond.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

Mariposa, thanks for the idea! I'll put that at the top of the list.

Melissa Sigler 4 years, 10 months ago

puddleglum...yes.

And I have no idea...it seems like no where takes reservations anymore, and you just know everywhere is going to be PACKED, so we might just stay in.

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

inny tikkits lef for the nekkid ladee oilimpik mud raslin evint?

somedude20 4 years, 10 months ago

I hear that ci ci's pizza is a great place for a quiet romantic meal with the towns best pizza

on v-day, I hear the try not to bake the employee's hair in the pizza as much

Doesn't allstars have a buffet? That might be a good place (Bruce Campbell voice...give me some sugar baby)

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

hey, somedude...aisle 6, housewares.

yeah, I'm looking to not get any dreadlocks in my food this year. thanks for the tip.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

Roe you don need tikkits, its canada-so everythiangs free!!!!!!!!!!!

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

Stayin' home, grilling some steaks that will be superior to anything we can get anywhere in town, and having some wine. %#$k mandatory consumerism.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

yeah, jonas, that's about what I do every year. It is almost impossible for someone else to cook as good as steak as you can at home. I will say that the longhorn steakhouse does a better job than anyone else local...

what sides with your steak?

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

Baked taters with all the fixins', o'course.

jonas_opines 4 years, 10 months ago

Longhorn is allright, I get the prime rib 'cuz I haven't learned how to do that one yet.

1029 4 years, 10 months ago

Right when I get off work I'm going straight to Russell Stover to buy a huge box of chocolates, then I'm going to pick up some flowers at that place down the street at 23rd and Ousdahl. Then I'm going to rush home and give my wife her chocolate and flowers. After she gives me adequate thanks, we'll put our clothes back on and head over to Vermont Street BBQ for dinner. After dinner we'll probably pick up some K2 over at Sacred Journey. After we smoke ourselves silly we'll probably head over to La Tasca for a mojito. This is going to be the best day ever--I'm so excited!

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

speaking of which, I used to work at tin pan alley, and theat place was always slamming on valentine's day. super busy.

anybody remember some great valentine places that are now no longer?

don't say the rocket ship ride at broken arrow...

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

yeah jonas-prime rib is out of my arena as well.

but I'm with ya on the mandatory consumerism b.s. tip.

make your own card, it can't be better than that.

but many people don't want to cook, so they look for the restaurant tip....

snap is probably making some chili.

KansasPerson 4 years, 10 months ago

Poor 1029. The nekkid "adequate thanks" part is the only one that's still possible!

On the other hand, that would probably be the best part of the day, anyway.

I am going to make dinner for my Valentine. Steak and a baked potato. And pie. Followed by dessert. :)

riverdrifter 4 years, 10 months ago

Y'all cuzzins should be treatin' yer ladies to sped week down her at Datonuh. 'Cept it's so cold it didn't even git to fifty 2day & ther's a nasty roomer thet way up north at panamaw city at baja alabamy thet there is snow on the grownd. Ceenery wuld be better if'n it wer 80 but the yung ladies is werin insalated cuveralls and gluvs. Diserpointin. See. Racin is been gud tho. Hit will be gud to kum back to Kansas where cold iz nermal. Just sayin.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

To bed! That is, after a proper gifting of flowers and/or gemstone jewelry. Some of us have to wait until Monday to celebrate; well worth the wait, I know. (grin....)

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey Multi, about your 5:06 post. So true, so true. Here I am, the age I am, and I've never tried pot. I'm serious; I was far too terrified of what my mother would have done to me if I had and got caught. My daughter suggested I try K2 as an alternative. Ah, too late.

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

I've never tried pot...

now there is an idea. I fixed steak for myself last night, dillon's has K.C. strips and rib eyes on sale right now.

twas wonderful. the wife wants some kind of chinese-and that is totally not my specialty. I don't really like much in the way of food mixing anyhow. what to do?

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh damn it, I was too tired when I posted this. It was supposed to go on the thread with the article about Sacred Journey! LOL

Christine Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

Puddlegum, I recommend finding out if your wife prefers flowers or jewelry, and then going out and buying them. Next, get a few rose petals and scatter them about your bedroom, and on the pillows. If there is a man's cologne she really likes on you, wear it. Play some Barry White or Marvin Gaye softly in the background. It's guaranteed to give you both a memorable day or evening.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

Take your date to the Bottleneck on the 15th to see St. Vincent! Just saw her here in Phoenix on Thursday, and she is terrific. Great voice, excellent guitar, terrific songs (can you tell I am a fan?). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-24m-...

puddleglum 4 years, 10 months ago

is the bottleneck still open?

yeah, who could go wrong with Barry white or Marvin gaye?

no mystery here, the wife loves jewelry. But I have already invested enough to make her whole head sparkle. I am moving towards the 'disposable-type gifts or the 'gifts that take up no space, like imaginary friends' just a thought. well, it is late saturday, and I am running out of time. how about bill self's 400th win?

yeah, I didn't think she would see that as a such a big deal. well, only time will tell, but I think I can rule out the trip to the Outhouse.