LJWorld.com weblogs puddleglum

how do you prepare turkey?

man, I don't know how to cook a turkey at all. I know that a fried turkey tastes great, but sounds impossibly dangerous/complicated/wasteful to pull off. oven-roasted? how do you you keep it moist? this is the classic look:

how about some wild variations?

this looks marvelous:

cajun turkey?

buffalo-wing turkey? turkey pizza? salmon-wrapped turkey? how do you cook up your specialty, and what is the craziest variation you have ever had? lookit lookit.....bacon-turkey!

Comments

RoeDapple 5 years ago

This year the turkey will be smoked for about thirty hours by my son in law using a combination of apple wood and hickory that has been soaked in bourbon since late august, then set out to dry last week. I'm not a big fan of turkey meat but I look forward to any of the meats he smokes. Hope there is a ham in there too...

budwhysir 5 years ago

1. open package and put slice on bread, add mustard, pickle and onion. Enjoy

or

1. get in car, pollute air with by products from my gas guzzler oil burning car, drive to moms house and enjoy a 30 minute meal that all the ladies in the family spent two days making

2. take nap and enjoy my day off drinking beer and yelling at the tv

any way you slice it, turkey works good for me

puddleglum 5 years ago

roe, 30 hours? in bourbon since august? you need to let me have a slice of that action

jonas_opines 5 years ago

Well, I tell them that they've lived a long and fruitful year or two on this earth, and that their sacrifice will be greatly meaningful to at least 8 people, maybe even a dozen. Then I give them a pat on the head and remind them that all good turkeys go to Heaven's Fowl Landing, where they will live forever peacefully with all their turkey loved ones, and bask in the light of The Great Gob for eternity. They're generally ready by then.

Wait, are you talking about cooking them? Lol, sorry.

I haven't ever cooked a turkey. It's not my job.

puddleglum 5 years ago

I have never cooked a turkey either, and I'm not really sure to whom the job title layeth, but bcman has got his game on for sure. and I am getting pretty hungry now.

bacon turkey is still the front-runner for me. I might let my Mom make the turkey, then I'll sneak up and dump a couple of lbs. of bacon on top of it, right as it hits the dinner table. class.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years ago

I had a fried turkey last year...it was absolutely delicious! Now that I've gone fried, I don't know if I can go back...

ksdivakat 5 years ago

put the turkey in a bag, add 7-up and water to the bag, poke holes int he top for ventilation, and cook it all night long on 200-250 but no higher, let it cook for a good 12-13 hours and oh yeah put aluminum foil over the top of the birds breasts so they dont burn, then in the last hour remove the foil so that it browns nice and pretty. The 7-up retains the juices because of the sugar and in fact we never get a chance to "carve" the bird because the meat literally falls off the bone. ut its great! Although, I would LOVE to try Roe's turkey, it sounds delish too!!

budwhysir 5 years ago

I like to soak my turkey in a little beer prior to cooking. However this is a lot of work and this year I may just go to drinking the beer right out of the can

countrygirl 5 years ago

30 hours sounds like a long time on the smoker. I usually leave a 15lb bird on for about 12-14 hours after getting brine bath the night before.

puddleglum 5 years ago

brine bath? sounds like something you'd see in greece steam-bath-land