LJWorld.com weblogs puddleglum

Mangino vs. Perkins speculation

wow, what a bunch of speculation.

There has been a lot opinions flying around about one of these men leaving KU... It has been said that Mangino is too tough on his players, that he oversteps the 'boundary-line' when it comes to personal issues amongst his players. That might be hard to prove, especially when one considers that such a line is very difficult to define. We do know all about the referee incident and the parking ticket thing. One thing is for certain, he wins games. As for Lew Perkins, he has been AD during arguably the best of times at KU. National Champions in basketball, Orange bowl victory etc. Some people don't like him, possibly. if it were up to you, who would you give the bus ticket to, and why?

Comments

msmimi 4 years, 4 months ago

"is it all about a winning season? I mean, one bad season and you are history?"

Yes, it's true. That is why coaches are highly paid; and I do mean "highly" paid to win games. When you do not live up to your resume' (you only look good on paper) then we need to find someone who will. Sounds like you don't give a "yank" about KU football?

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

yeah, how could you know such things?

roggy 4 years, 4 months ago

RalphReed, Just curious how you know that Perkins has wanted Mangino gone for a long time?

tony88 4 years, 4 months ago

so? you're the one claiming Mangino wins. we need to upgrade to compete in the Big 12.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

well, czech it out... terry allen had those same cup cake seasons, and we have another one coming up for the next two years... so?

gogoplata 4 years, 4 months ago

That one good season the schedule was pretty weak. The only legit win we have is VT in the Orange Bowl. We have not beat OU or Texas. We can't even win the pathetic North Title. So sure he's better than Terry Allen but who isn't?

tony88 4 years, 4 months ago

no... one good season and you should be a permanent fixture? he doesn't win. take out that one season and he has a worse record than mason.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

is it all about a winning season? I mean, one bad season and you are history?

Ralph Reed 4 years, 4 months ago

Regardless of the what people want, the damage is done. Word of mouth goes far and fast, and what parent in their right mind would want them playing for a coach with allegations such as those against Mangino? So, I don't know what's true and what's not as there's been no final readout from the investigation - nobody does. I think Mangino's time at KU is done. we all should hear something right after the Missouri game. My money is on his departure.

I do know Perkins has wanted Mangino gone for a long time and I think he sees this as his out. However, I seriously doubt these allegations would have come to light if KU were having a winning season this year.

tony88 4 years, 4 months ago

3 of those wins came in 2007.

tony88 4 years, 4 months ago

"One thing is for certain, he wins games."

He has won 4 games and lost 20 against the Big 12 South in his Kansas career.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 4 months ago

Mangino has already lost. It is just a matter of whether or not East Coast Lew loses as well.

couranna1 4 years, 4 months ago

I would have to say adios to AD Perkins. He has this whole thing horribly and has not really proven his case except that he will go to great lengths to hurt KU. Mangino is a football coach and all his peers most players and those who have observed practice like Fambrough have said he does not cross the line Is he a fiery guy. Yes he is. He has yelled at players What coach hasn;t Perkins has handled this through leaks and finding disgruntled former players and then leaking this to the media. It is also not a coincidence it comes out now after a bad few games. Mangino made football relevant at KU, not Perkins. Perkins did not build the hoops program It already was. He may be good at raising funds for KU but after the way he has handled this whole scenario is he really a Jayhawk through and through I personally do not think so

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

Maybe Lew is just showing the new Chancellor who is really in charge?

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

I would rather see Mark Mangino stay, and Lew Perkins leave. I don't like the East Coast mannerisms that come with Lew and his guy, jim marchiony. Seems like they just want to upset everyone around here and run everything their way, like they have some sort of superiority complex.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

hard to believe that this blog would be considered too controversial for the ol' column

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

hogjiver- awesome handle. you crack me up.

HogJiver 4 years, 4 months ago

Time to get rid of all the worthless bags of sh&*, clean house and get some good quality people.

And stop paying so much money.

Look at Walmart.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

ksdivakat: I dont think either one of them is going anywhere……

ha! that's an option that I mistakenly forgot all about!

I have to say that the whole 'probe-thing' was made public by Lew Perkins, and it does seem that there must be some reason behind all that. Why would you announce a probe? Why announce an investigation? I thought it was going to be an 'independent' investigation-but it seems to me that it is being handled by the assistant-athletic director?

ksdivakat 4 years, 4 months ago

I dont think either one of them is going anywhere......

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

dang mel, I thought you were a kittykat-supporter out there in mildcat land

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 4 months ago

mangino might as well get his bus travelin' clothes on... perkins is staying. altho i would prefer it the other way around.