LJWorld.com weblogs puddleglum

calling all MULLETS: a trial and confession

WOW! I am sure the first intentional mullet was david bowie's at the time of the Ziggy stardust tour in the early 1970's. It seems that everyone in this country had the impression that his hairstyle was far out, 'way out'-in fact. http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2009/Nov/10/ziggy_stardust.jpg

The realization of coolness associated with said style eventually thawed out amongst us americans-even though it took a while. I think I first identified John cougar with a real mullet. But as soon as bono started to cultivate his own piece (1983 war-tour era), I knew I had to have one.

Wow, what a trip! the whole mane was dyed black with bleached highlights on the top of the crown. It was just too cool. I got mine done up exactly the same-the highlights were tough, they had to be individually wrapped in foil and heat seared-and that burnt my head-but who cares? It was totally worth it. That haircut was responsible for instant coolness-lotsa action from young teenage women, who irresistibly flocked to my side. It was hard getting through english class without having to make out with the teacher-that is how amazing that mullet was. Alas, I found out the hard way that cool is only cool until 95% of the high school copies it, and then you are the parachute pants of fashion if you keep it up-so I just grew out my hair all one length. That got popular about 7 years later, so I cut it chin-length. Then that got popular so I just hacked it all off. That got popular too. but hey, I'm a style beacon-what can I say. Anyway-back to the beloved mullet.
You might say the mullet saved my life. I don't know if it was rick springfield or rod stewart-but surely one of these men set the stage for my babe-magnet skills. ha, there I go rambling again. but back to the mullet-I need to hear from you, men and women (nothing more BUTCH than a woman with a mullet-and I mean that in a good way) I harken for your feelings-do you dwell like I do around a stagnant fashion pond filled with memories of joy-but amongst the cloudiness of vanity; only the mullet floats? I need to hear your experiences with the mullet. I know it is a fool's errand to try to bring the mullet back-it has had its day, but I know there are many good stories out there that you can share about your mullet. And this is the place. Many of us spent the 90's hiding all those photos of our mullets. It is time to heal that gaping wound. Sow the seeds of pride. Please use years-I love to hear about which era your mullet is. Perm or no perm-it doesn't matter. GIVE IN TO THE POWER OF THE KENTUCKY WATERFALL or TENNESSEE TOP HAT!

Comments

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

a.k.a. : the missouri compromise fading glory (balding version) soccer-rocker shlong business up front/party in back achy-breaky bad mistakey

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

The skullet is also a name for the balding version. Femullet is the female version.

But what about the rat tail?

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

ah yes, the rat tail did hang on amongst certain circles for an extended stay. I was real partial to the girly girls that didn't want to get left off the fashion bus-so they left their bear claw bangs, but spiked the top and let the back flow out in a mini-Vee. classic

Ronda Miller 5 years, 1 month ago

I had forgotten how crazy Bowie looked! Wow, he did go through some changes, but then haven't we all. Amazing how different hairstyles made us look over the years.

Fun blog!

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

so, pudd, do you think that it is fair to say the mullet is the official redneck hairstyle?

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

redneck? maybe-maybe not. has anyone else noticed how blogs are not showing up on most discussed? interesting huh? also noticed that all of the blogs pertaining to strippers are being disappearededdedd without explaination. whats up? makes me wonder-did the disappeardedded the original one written by annaundercover? weird.

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

official redneck style of the 90's for sure-but then again so are camo hats.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

i noticed that about the stripper blogs, that's why i created my own. tee hee ;P

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

good thinking Mel, I think they will all be yanked, and for this I thank J. Kealing. I really didn't think that annaundercover's blogs were appropriate for this forum. thankyou LJ world staff.

mullets on the other hand-well, now I can't think many appropriate venues-except a historically oriented thread such as this.

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

Do you still get mullet sightings over there in salina, mel?

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

oh yeh. the best place to spot the elusive mullet is, of course, walmart (check out that website the people of walmart dot com-- something like that). its almost like finding pockets of an ancient tribe that everyone thought to be extinct... oh, and pretty much any bar on a saturday night. lol

the dumbest thing about the whole stripper blog was when she had that covert meeting w/ a staffer to "verify" that she's real. umm..... okay. it was never really THAT serious. very silly.

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

uh, unfortunately, I see that the stripper blog has reared its ugly head again. verification or not-in my opinion, the stripper blogs have no place on this site-especially when considering the ages of kids reading these blogs.

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

ah heck, I forgot about wal-mart. Haven't been there for a decade.

I'm sure there are some well cultivated do's out there.

BigPrune 5 years, 1 month ago

That walmart website is addictive, almost like watching a train wreck.

Enjoy everyone. Hope this doesn't take people away from the LJWorld for too long. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

prune, tell me about it (re: the website)! and is it not absolutely hilarious?! i thought you'd like it! :)

i even get a kick out of the people who have sent the webmasters hate mail... even that is funny as all get-out (and i don't think the authors of the letters are trying to be humorous-- it seems like they are actually offended. even funnier!).

sassypants 5 years, 1 month ago

OMG that Walmart website was gross. Can't believe people actually go out in public half dressed or a** bare as some. Sick, sick, sick.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 1 month ago

I've also heard mullets called the following:

Tennessee Tophat Ketucky Waterfall Canadian Passport

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

bigprune: that's hilarious. spent more time looking at that than doing my taxes.

there is also some website for cars parked outside of walmart that tip the scales of taste, but I don't recall the name.

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

So no one here has had a mullet?

no one will own up to it?

c'mon! step right up, who will be the first to confess?

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

you mean Obama?

hah! too bad we never had a president with a mullet.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 1 month ago

billy ray cyrus had the ultimate mullet....

ooo! i just got an idear for my strippin' ain't e-z thread. tee hee!