LJWorld.com weblogs Notes from John

The holidays, economy and the homeless

This holiday time that celebrates something other than consumption has somehow become a time of excess. Yet the news on the economy is awful and it's all our fault. We aren’t consuming enough to keep the economy afloat. It’s all about personal responsibility. Just like the homeless. The Lawrence Community Shelter’s (LCS) newsletter came yesterday with news of people being responsible while struggling with personal problems. Go ahead start the tirades. I am going to speak kindly of the homeless and LCS.The newsletter features several success stories like that of ‘B’ who was helped to obtain housing outside the shelter. These are not isolated incidents. The newsletter includes data saying that 121 residents moved into permanent housing or applied for housing to the Housing Authority, 65 people obtained jobs and 55 people moved into substance abuse detox or rehab. These are just the results that I as a citizen of Lawrence want from LCS. I am sure that the Salvation Army and others who are working with the homeless are also showing results. I just don’t have their newsletters. So if you want to help the economy, help an agency that is successfully helping the homeless become productive members of our community. I am going to go out and buy some gloves and take them to LCS.Happy Holidays.

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

Whoa! Looks like I get the last word. Cool!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

There will never be a real, lasting solution to this situation. The poor will always be with you, Jesus said. We do what we do and that's about it. But I prefer not to give in to despair, or anger, or hate. I live though the grace of God, which is not earned, but freely given. That is all I am responsible for.

consumer1 5 years, 3 months ago

This data is skewed. The majority of those who "live" at the shelter are on probation. Part of the terms of their probation are to become employed.another term would be to attend drug/alcohol counselling.these conditions are ordered by the courts. If they don't abide by the requirements they go to jail.By the way, you can't drink yourself stupid in jail, or use illegal drugs there.The reality is, this. The shelter keeps some very incapiciated people from freezing to death in this frigid weather. That is all they do.This article makes it sound as if the shelter was counselling, helping to get jobs, and help in getting homes. The reality is other groups Courts, SRS,DCCCS and others are the ones who are actually making a difference here.

Windlass 5 years, 3 months ago

The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty.”- Mother Teresa of Calcutta, 1910-1997_______This posting is what I know giving to be really all about. It's the heart and brain of the whole being human thing. There's nothing wrong but everything right with it.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 3 months ago

Very nice, David. She knew a thing or two about helping others, eh?

David Lignell 5 years, 3 months ago

"We think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked and homeless. The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty.”- Mother Teresa of Calcutta, 1910-1997

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 3 months ago

Bless you. I heard from a social worker at Bert Nash that the Open Shelter was getting to be a very rough place. Obviously you are presenting a different picture. If I am wrong, or have got wrong info, then I want to know about it. I know of several people at the Salvation Army that have got housing and jobs and moved on. Every morning when they want to turn off the alarm and sleep, they will think about that and get up. Although you need money, also having someone think of you as a human being and a worthy one can make a huge difference if you are homeless, and keep you from being drowned in despair. So, thank you for your letter.

Alia Ahmed 5 years, 3 months ago

John,Thanks for this uplifting news about people moving out of homelessness and into jobs and homes of their own. That is a reason to celebrate!