LJWorld.com weblogs No Alarms and No Surprises, Please

So, Starbucks . . .

http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/Feb/28/starbucks-IV.jpgI'm sure you've heard about Starbuck's recent "Espresso Retraining". It was all over the news. All of the Starbucks in the country (save for the "licensed stores" in supermarkets, airports, etc.) closed down on Tuesday evening to retrain their baristas on the finer points of Starbucks academia. Now, I appreciate Lawrence's local coffee establishments and love them to death. But there's something to be said about being able to walk into any Starbucks and order a drink, getting the exact same version in Honolulu as you do in Bangor, Maine. But recently, Starbucks seems to have lost its way. And their "re-training" is supposed to focus on getting the company back to its roots: coffee.That said, I did some Googling about Starbucks. 99 percent of the results were from people hating on the corporation and praising the spirit of their local, independent coffee joints. One link caught my eye, though. "The most expensive Starbucks drink". A blogger recently set out to use his free drink coupon from Starbucks and order the most expensive coffee concoction he could come up with. The resulting $13.76 order:"A 13 shot venti soy hazelnut vanilla cinnamon white mocha with extra white mocha and caramel."Here's the link to his story: http://anerroroccurredwhileprocessingthisdirective.com/2007/09/28/the-most-expensive-drink-at-starbucks/So, can you top him? I know my double venti drip (or "Shot in the Dark" or "Red Eye") only sets me back a couple of bucks. I could buy almost seven of these caffeine laded pleasures for the price of his one. (Requisite Starbuck hating expected in the following user comments).

Comments

Steve Jacob 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't drink coffee, so no hating here. But seeing the layoffs, closings, and stock dropping even before the all the other stocks dropped, the company is not doing well.

booklover 6 years, 9 months ago

Can't beat his price, but MY drink taste much better! Triple venti-nonfat-mocha-8 pumps mocha-3 pumps cinn. dolche-extra hot-no whip! about $4.50. Mmm. Loverly goodness! I've been home sick all week. Sure have missed it.

Linda Hanney 6 years, 9 months ago

I like their plain coffee, the price is comparable to other speciality coffee places; but unless something has changed recently, they need to offer free internet. When we travel, we get our coffee at IHOP.

sinkorswim 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I love their chai tea latte..skinny, extra hot, no water, with either a pump of pumpkin spice (when available) or an extra pump of chai, cinnamon sprinkled on top. I plan to get one after work!

I also like the chai tea frappaccino and strawberry frappaccino when the weather's warm....

Buggie7 6 years, 9 months ago

I love coffee and love the starbucks downtown but I actually find myself going in to get their Hot Chocolate more these days. Its is so good. I was suprised. I still love my mocha, hazlenut combo too.

KLATTU 6 years, 9 months ago

"...there's something to be said about being able to walk into any Starbucks and order a drink, getting the exact same version in Honolulu as you do in Bangor, Maine."

slice696 6 years, 9 months ago

I Love the Venti Iced Cinnamon Dolce Latte with Soy, Sugar Free Syrup, no Whip w/ Sprinkles & 2 extra shots ...it's consistant anywhere I go ...Consistantly expensive ( Over $ 5.00 )

Jeremy Gates 6 years, 9 months ago

"It's the worldwide uniformity that I find boring. If I'm in Honolulu or Bangor I'm searching for local flavor, not the same thing I can get at home."

Well of course. And I don't knock the speciality indie coffee shops that are so individual and unique. But if I'm not in a town like Lawrence and happen to find myself in Hole in the Wall, Arkansas (stereotypical, I know), the licensed Starbucks in the back of their Super Target might be a welcome oasis.

ralphralph 6 years, 9 months ago

'exact same version' in Honolulu or Bangor? Why would you want everything to be 'the same' in every place you go?
Why even go? What a horrible idea that 'the same' is a plus.

Jeremy Gates 6 years, 9 months ago

I didn't say I wanted "everything to be the same". I said that there's something to be said for consistency. And there is. And by the way, I went to the Starbucks in Dillon's on 6th and noticed a marked improvement in their espresso drinks. They now pull the shots directly into a shot glass every time. The way it should be done. My double venti shot in the dark tasted awesome!

Jeremy Gates 6 years, 9 months ago

Sounds very familiar to the ongoing Wal-Mart vs. Local Business debate on these very forums, logicsound04.

TriSigmaKS 6 years, 9 months ago

Forget it, I say always head to Henry's on 8th or even Java Break. Support local establishments.

Jeremy Gates 6 years, 9 months ago

Outside your bubble that is Lawrence, there exist places where the only coffee shop in town is Starbucks. I know people who, before Starbucks came to their small town, the only place to get a brew was the local convenience store.

Jeremy Gates 6 years, 9 months ago

... And I refer you to this article on Slate.com about how Starbucks actually helps local "mom and pop" coffee houses.

sourpuss 6 years, 9 months ago

I patronize all types of coffee houses depending on what I want at the time. I don't really care for Starbucks' roasting, but I like their cookies, and steamers are basically the same most places. I never go to the Starbucks in Lawrence, but we have lots of great coffee there. I'll go there in other towns occasionally, or I'll jump in to a grab a cookie.

Kathy Getto 6 years, 9 months ago

Who cares how the coffee tastes? What about the company's child-labor practices?

ophelia3 6 years, 5 months ago

I know this blog is somewhat old...but I want to clear up the child-labor misinformation. Starbucks has dumped all the coffee producers that would not stop employing children on their farms - as of 2001. They have steadily increased their puchase of fair trade coffee by over 60% each year since 2000 and when hurricane Stan virtually wiped out an entire community that was supplying Starbucks with coffee teams of people were sent in by Starbucks to rebuild not only the coffee farm but to rebuild homes, schools and hospitals. They airlifted employees and their families from China after the earthquake. Now I'm not a fan of corporations, but Starbucks is one of the leas harmful ones I've ever researched. They have their bad points - but then so do little local shops that I've been in where I've seen dogs walking around the kitchen etc. Oh, and they pay roughly (last quarter numbers) 2.11 per pound of unroasted coffee (so roughly 3/4 roasted). The fair trade price on coffee was 1.24. So while far from perfect its getting there...