LJWorld.com weblogs NewYorkMusic

Family Values?

Today I got an email from someone saying that a relative of mine had been caught with a BB gun in Lawrence and then subsequently charged with illegal posession of a gun or something like that. Bad move, evidently - but his father's reaction was a bit over the top. He permanently kicked his kid out of the house.

Now - this dad is not exactly what we would call an upstanding citizen. He has been arrested before (as a teenager) and has spent a few nights in jail due to DWI. Now his son shames him a bit - the case appeared in the local press with no names - and he gets kicked out of the house? To me this sounds completely absurd.

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

First a BB gun.......... Soon it will be a .22 rifle...... In two years she will be competing in 3-gun...... And carrying concealed.......

What have I done?..........

What....have........I.........done?..............

;-)

Enjoy, Irish!

And shoot safe........

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Go to http://www.cobraairguns.com to find your Red Ryder. They even come in pink! LOL

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

So, now after calling Sunflower and getting the military channel set up in five minutes so I could see a sniper rifle I will be buying a BB gun for my 11 year old grandson. Wow! When you say something, you never know where it will go. Hey, I'm a poet don't you know it? A poet with a BB gun.

Escapee 4 years, 10 months ago

Ernest Barteldes 4 years, 10 months ago

Sure hope so... BTW just posted a new piece on the blog, check it out --- it's called "Funeral"

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

EB.. Ben used something that has been on the internet for years and sent it in as a LTE. Most did not know it was not original, and gave him credit for it, and it has become legend in these parts. Another LJW user, Andini, then decided to exchange other words for football..and let's just say it snowballed from there.

Thus..Ernest..you too are now part of the legend. Welcome to the club! (Watch out for trolls and brake for lemurs.You're gonna love this place)

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

BB guns are dangerous. Why, you can shoot somebody's eye out with one of those!

coolmarv 4 years, 10 months ago

EB, Ben's Football editorial has been copied in different forms many times among the Post a Commenters. Search his name on the JW and you will see he is somewhat of a cult figure to that group. We all need inspiration from time to time.

Ernest Barteldes 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh I saw the letter and was puzzled. As far as I know, he did play football in HS. Maybe he hated it. And laughed so hard at the comments, they were really funny... interesting what can happen during a slow news day.

sinverguenza 4 years, 10 months ago

Ernest -

Oh, the enlightenment! I love that guy.

Ernest Barteldes 4 years, 10 months ago

To answer the question (wow I am impressed about the number of comments on this one), yes I am related to the person in question --- and had no clue about his online infamy.

Enlighten me please...

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Ahh, the connections we make!

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

nobody likes wet fuses, nobody.

maybe you just need one of those fulminating cap starters on the end.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 10 months ago

Since when is it illegal to own a bb gun? Now, firing one in the city limits is illegal. Projectiles and all that, but air rifles..when did those become illegal?

Or are we talking about something that might resemble a pistol and that maybe that is the issue?

Is Ernest related to Ben...and maybe Ernest has no clue to Ben's online infamy? Perhaps Ben himself has no clue..did you ever think of that? When the LTE came out, it wasn't well received, the fun didn't start until later. Unless Andini called him up and told him. :) http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/oct...

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Music_Girl and Irish, As an example, If you were to point a BB gun at someone in a threatening manner or display it at night when it may be mistaken as a 'real' weapon, you probably have broken the law, not to mention the risk of being shot by police or someone who may be prepared to protect themselves or others.............

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh and good morning Irish!

By the way, cannon fuse will continue to burn under water! ( although is very difficult to light under water.....)

Music_Girl 4 years, 10 months ago

Illegal possession of a BB gun? Unless the kid was holding someone at "gunpoint", wtf? Maybe I'm just dumb but I didn't know you had to register a BB gun. My little brothers have had one or two since they were about 10 or 12 years old. I think the dad did overreact unless there is more to the story than what is being shared. Family values need to be instilled from a young age. Too often it seems parents let the younger kids do as they please because they are "just being kids" and then boom! They turn 14 and the parents have no idea what "happened".

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

One of the most famous BB guns is the Red Ryder BB Gun by Daisy Outdoor Products, modeled after the western Winchester rifle. First introduced in 1938, the BB gun became an iconic American toy, and is still in production today.

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 10 months ago

My family put the "fun" back in dysfunctional.

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

ErnestBarteldes, We are all different in some way, that's what makes us interesting. In my family I was considered the success story, which I consider laughable. If my siblings had taken on professional careers I would have been the loser. Every family has some level of dysfunction, many times we don't even know until we look at how others live. Ever watch 'Little Miss Sunshine'? Hopefully your young relative will discover something that will give him direction so that one day he will laugh when his family thinks of him as their 'success' story.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh, and please don't drool on the fuse as a wet fuse won't light.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Roe, what is a BB gun and why is it illegal? I am thinking it is something on the level of a cap gun. But, you know me. Anything smaller than a Bushmaster is below my radar. I am reading the Aubrey/Maturin series and got Jack Aubrey Commands by Brian Lavary which shows in detail how to load and fire a cannon on a ship in 1800.

Ernest Barteldes 4 years, 10 months ago

We are interesting? This is the first time I hear something like that. I'd say we have extremely dysfunctional members among us, but a lot are surprisingly well-adjusted.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 10 months ago

The Barteldes family is quite interesting. Would this man's name be Ben?

Ernest Barteldes 4 years, 10 months ago

The young man was 17 at the time of the incident (you can find a newsflash on LJ World, although at the time his name was not publicized --- and I am not revealing it, either). He just turned 18 and is now rooming with a friend.

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

I like BB guns........... Pellet rifles are better...... Rimfire is fantastic................. Centerfire rocks............. Anything that requires cannon fuse makes me drool

;-)

duplenty 4 years, 10 months ago

Why would you blog about this?

ArumerZwarteHoop 4 years, 10 months ago

he probably never wanted to have kids, now he can get rid of one.