LJWorld.com weblogs Musings

Airport Security

Those of you who are travelling may encounter a situation that moves you deeply. . . . . .

This is how my horoscope started that day. I was in the KCI Airport as I wrote this. I read my horoscope after I had checked in and gone through security. Oddly, there was a situation that moved me deeply as I was going through the security line.

The security people had taken aside an older woman who was in a wheelchair. The woman had white hair and appeared quite frail as she shakily stood up to remove her jacket. Based on her appearance I would guess that she was about 80 years old. The security people were helping her remove her shoes and jacket to send them through security scanner. I realize the security workers were just doing their job and I don’t fault them for it. However, I was rather appalled that a woman in a wheelchair, who was obviously quite frail, would be required to go through the same procedures as the rest of us. I guess, though, that there is more than one way to view the situation.

What is your take on this? Should everyone have be treated exactly the same regardless of their age and physical situation? Do we really need to be afraid of elderly wheelchair bound women?

Comments

David Lignell 6 years, 4 months ago

Hi Joyce,

As you mentioned, the security workers were just doing their job. Still, I see your point about treating everyone the same. Surely, someone in a frail state could be allowed to remain in the wheelchair without violating security procedures. Of course, I know nothing about the security instruments they use, but couldn't the shoes be examined with a portable x-ray of some kind? On the other hand, I would expect terrorists would and have used elderly, children and decoys to exploit a weakness in security. Not sure what the answer is, but it’s a good question to examine. Maybe those of us who fly through MCI are finally beginning to endure what the Middle East and other regions have endured for many years: a life where security supersedes privacy and convenience. I suppose it's part and parcel of the modern age.

jystevens 6 years, 4 months ago

Dave:

You're right and you make some very good points. As I watched it happening though I just felt sad that things have reached this level. I can't imagine watching that happen to my own grandmother but you are right that "terrorists would and have used elderly, children and decoys to exploit a weakness in security." Depressing.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 4 months ago

Also, it could have been someone posing as an little old lady, someone sure to get sympathy. Probably not in this case, but it is something I would have considered. And, to think I used to laugh at people who are paranoid!

RoeDapple 6 years, 4 months ago

Airport security are instructed to pull "by the number" (every 7th, 11th,16th, who knows) to avoid profiling. This could mean a housewife, a minister, a 9 year old child. Although this prevents profiling, an observant border with ill intent could easily keep count then move to a different place in line to avoid the "number". It is still safer to fly 5000 miles than to drive to the airport.

yankeevet 6 years, 4 months ago

Everyone is and should be checked; everyone.....

Linda Hanney 6 years, 4 months ago

I hope the person this happened to was prepared for the check and not embarrassed. True, security has a job, but just a little privacy would go a long ways in an instance like this.

Linda Hanney 6 years, 4 months ago

Jesse, I would be honored and certainly feel sale to be on a plane with you.

RoeDapple 6 years, 4 months ago

I would rather sit next to a soldier with an M-16 any day than a granny with a box cutter.............

(true, but TIC)

Leslie Swearingen 6 years, 4 months ago

Shouldn't the soldier be flying on a military transport? If he was flying on a civilian plane why wasn't he wearing mufti and packed the rifle in a case, put in the hold? Hey, I'm just asking.