LJWorld.com weblogs Loyal Opposition

Grieving

Over the past couple of days the wife and I noted a lone Canada goose along the road through the southern swamp. It patrolled one side over several days as we passed. We pondered if it had lost its mate and how long it might grieve that loss? Does anybody know much about these critters?

Comments

George Lippencott 2 years ago

Katara (anonymous) replies…

We need to track down that bird and have it show its long form birth certificate to make sure. It might vote in one of our elections.

Moderate Responds

Isn't it eligible for motor voter registration (fly in)

George Lippencott 2 years ago

Hello camper,

I thought about it. Where were all the wetland lovers? But I really was interested in the goose. Have run into them all over. Their size and ability to co-exist with us intrigues me. My question was real.

Naively I hoped that somebody on this space would have a non political answer. I have used KU resources as well as county and state resources on such pursuits in the past (before I started the blog). They have been most helpful as Katara points out. It was just my choice to use the blog. Really did not expect such a critique.

The picture is not of the bird in question. It in fact it came from one of the references that Katara and others ultimately provided. I had already used the web to try to find my answer and had not found an answer to the specific question I posed. I keep trying to master the ability to put pictures on here. I blew this one as it is too small.

One might note that the answer Katara provided after chiding me for not finding it is not the same as I found provided by a recognized expert as provided by Paul. Persistence sometimes pays off in geese as well as politics.

headdoctor 2 years ago

It is quite simple, camper. Canadian geese and their sub species are reasonably intelligent migratory birds. This one could be retired, a lazy liberal, or a spoiled brat baby boomer goose that doesn't want to put out all that energy flying back and forth so decided to claim duel citizenship. It is hanging around to suck up all our habitat resources without paying its fair share.

camper 2 years ago

Moderate, is this another experiment? I remember the last one, and you pulled me in. You fooled me big time.

My only question is about the picture. How could this be a Canada Goose if you saw it in Lawrence. This seems very odd to me. Hope that bird has a frequent flier card.

George Lippencott 2 years ago

Katara (anonymous) replies…

People who have a history of complaining that everyone else is lazy or entitled and then expect everyone else to just hand them the answers to the questions when they ask them, in particular, when the answers are easily accessible.

I'd really classify it more as a strong pet peeve.

Moderate Responds

I love you too. I would make exactly the same observations about you but it is unlikely you would comprehend them. I was tiring of all the ideological certainty on here and was going to quit but you have reminded me as to why I am here.

mrebeccapowers 2 years ago

August 15, 2001 to February 21, 2012. I thought I would die from my grief.

George Lippencott 2 years ago

Hey guys - smell the roses.

headdoctor 2 years ago

And you took the time to read the comment and reply.

headdoctor 2 years ago

I am going to have to mark this on the calendar. Moderate actually did a blog on something besides tax and entitlement complaints or about city codes. I was expecting any moment to see that the grieving goose had been turned into a depressed goose because of some perceived inequity about taxes or entitlements for geese and how it directly compared Moderate's inequity in taxes or entitlement benefits. It was even more refreshing to know that the poor goose was not expected to remove snow from its nesting area since it only had a bill instead of hands to work a shovel or snow blower.

George Lippencott 2 years ago

Thank you. From the literature there is apparently no fixed time for grieving.

"Widowed geese have been observed circling around and around, crying in heartrending sorrowful tones when their partners die or are murdered by hunters. The remaining goose may mourn for a period of time and then mate again. Or they may mourn for the rest of their lives and never seek another mate. Just as with people, it varies with individual geese. "

The goose I referenced was gone after three days. Now there is a pair where the single goose was located.

Paul Decelles 2 years ago

George,

I have not seen any good data about your question. Most of the articles I have seen simply cite Konrad Lorenz's book on aggression that discusses grieving behavior in his geese.

Paul

George Lippencott 2 years ago

Thank you. I did not interpret the articles to say the goose grieves to the next breeding season only that it may wait until the next breeding season to choose a new mate. I can see how you could view it that way. I have no better answer.

George Lippencott 2 years ago

But they do apparently pair for life.

Apparently our ideological issues flow over into geese. I ask how long they grieve. You respond with mating and breeding.

You could have challenged the very notion that geese grieve. Instead you want to argue about reading something that is not in the article you referenced. Do they grieve as we understand it? If they do (or whatever they do) how long will they wait for their mate to return before moving on???

RTFQ!!!!! You would think that someone who apparently is a teacher would do better???

George Lippencott 2 years ago

Hi Katara

Thank you. I of course had read that they will seek another mate. I missed the part about the next breeding season but that can easily be inferred.

My question remains how long will it grieve - that is different. My example is marching up and down the side of the road. Of course I am inferring it is missing its mate - it could be a juvenile in other pursuits.

I do note that as of this morning it is gone. Perhaps it met the single goose that was in the wetlands on the other side of the road? Maybe they do not “grieve” very long at all??? Still noteworthy it was there for at least three days.

George Lippencott 2 years ago

GUYS AND GALS. ACTUALLY GOT MY PICTURE FROM ONE OF THE REFERENCES. NONE EXPAND ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THEY LOSE A MATE. I JUST WONDERED HOW LONG THE BIRD WILL STAND GUARD BY6 THE ROAD.

Benjamin Roberts 2 years ago

"During the second year of their lives, Canada Geese find a mate. They are monogamous, and most couples stay together all of their lives. If one dies, the other may find a new mate. The female lays 3–8 eggs and both parents protect the nest while the eggs incubate, but the female spends more time at the nest than the male."