LJWorld.com weblogs Llama's Pasture.

Political Discourse

I'm through with it.

You know what I'm talking about, LJWorld.com.

I'm through with the people who have tirelessly accused our President of wanting to convert our country into some sort of Stalinist regime. I'm tired of people who cannot exist outside of absolutes, of people who purport to be "moderate" but hold extremist beliefs. I'm sick of many of the things on this very website.

Readers, I'd like for you to answer this for me. How does the political discourse in this country improve? Or is it hopeless?

Let's have a dose of common sense. Socialism is a dirty word here in America, but we need to keep in mind that there are shades of gray to everything. Are we socialist because the government is providing markets for health insurance companies to sell us a product? Nope. What is socialist about the Obama administration? Two major actions are pointed to - the takeover of GM, and the takeover of banks. The bank takeovers hearken back to the Bush administration, and General Motors is going to buy itself out of government control. Take a deep breath. Think critically. This government doesn't want to run our businesses.

What's so wrong with striking a little balance? America, you're failing me. You're failing me because 5% of you get out there every day, go to your newspaper website, and post - thousands of times - about Obama being a socialist. America, more of you fail me when you read this website and you lack the critical thinking to really understand what you're talking about. Then when someone points that out, you accuse them of elitism. Grow up. It's time for all of us to grow up, on both sides of the aisle. A disaster is a disaster is a disaster, end of story.

For those on the left who still don't think that personal responsibility matters, you're wrong - but there are few of you who think this. This country wouldn't work without some motive for people to act. That motive in our system is money. There's not going to be an era in my lifetime where that's not true. But remember that motive also serves to corrupt, individuals on the right, perhaps moreso than any other motive outside of political power.

Dictators don't have term limits. Stop throwing around the words socialist or Nazi, unless you understand the horror of what you mean when you say Nazi, or you understand that the United States has had "socialistic" policies for many years, but that doesn't mean there aren't private solutions. Think critically - please. I'm not saying you have to agree with the other viewpoint, but what makes America great is not our ability to remain unchanging forever. It's our ability to adapt - to take the best the world has to offer, and then we're going to make it better.

If there were an honest effort to take the political discourse in our country to debates of ideas, rather than the pure waste we see today, then we could finally have some peace from the squawking media personalities on both sides of the aisle. And if we could remain a little more calm, maybe we could do something productive - rather than alienating even more of the people who already don't care about politics in America. Just a thought.

Comments

Liberty275 3 years, 11 months ago

"it's funny but most of the names used towards the Repubs have truth."

When you are the arbiter of truth, everything you want to be true is.

"Cheney leaking the name of a spy to get her critic husband"

You spelled Richard Armitage wrong.

"Bush leaving a muey incompetante like Michael Brown in charge as my aunt and grandparents homes flooded and washed away in Mississippi during Katrina"

Just which competent person would you have put in place to hold back the storm surge from a hurricane?

"Rehnquist calling Native American Supreme Court cases S?!T cases"

Never heard of it.

"The GOP Supreme Court manipulation of the 2000 election"

Gore lost. The vote count proved it. He should have conceded before it got to the supreme court. Get over it.

"All of the FCC censorship stuff during Bush"

What FCC censorship stuff? What exactly was censored?

"There's many I'm not thinking of"

You mean like forcing American citizens to purchase products from corporations whether they want the product or not? I can't blame you for not thinking of that one. NICE.

Mike Ford 3 years, 11 months ago

it's funny but most of the names used towards the Repubs have truth. Cheney leaking the name of a spy to get her critic husband, NICE. Bush leaving a muey incompetante like Michael Brown in charge as my aunt and grandparents homes flooded and washed away in Mississippi during Katrina, NICE. Rehnquist calling Native American Supreme Court cases S?!T cases, NICE. The GOP Supreme Court manipulation of the 2000 election NICE. All of the FCC censorship stuff during Bush, NICE. There's many I'm not thinking of, but it goes to show that if a party acts like malevolent facists, they will be labeled as such.

Liberty275 3 years, 11 months ago

The blogger left out a few words. Shrub, dumbya, darth cheney, corporatocracy, fascist, astroturfers, hicks, greedy, faux news, Glen BecKKK, settled science, birthers and the ever popular... teabagger.

I won't even bother with obama's campaign lies or the sudden disappearance of the Lawrence antiwar protesters.

Once upon a time, dissent was patriotic. Hilary said so. It has recently been renamed to racism.

The time for pretty discourse has gone away. The midterms are on the horizon and 2012 is just around the corner. There exists no middle ground. I won't vote for a republican, but I'll vote against every democrat on the ticket. Let the chips fall.

kansanbygrace 3 years, 11 months ago

and the worst thing about commercial egoists is that they always talk about other people--people they are paid to denigrate and misrepresent.

People with great minds talk about ideas; those with good minds, events; those with tiny minds, other people.

I'd quote it correctly if I could, and cite who it came from, if I could. But I can only remember the names of a limited number of clever talkers. I think it was not Mencken.

br549 3 years, 11 months ago

"you fail me when you read this website and you lack the critical thinking to really understand what you're talking about."

llama Surly you can trust me to know what I'm talking about.

"Think critically - please. I'm not saying you have to agree with the other viewpoint"

Lets see critical from Dictionary.com inclined to find fault or to judge with severity, often too readily. 2. occupied with or skilled in criticism. 3. involving skillful judgment as to truth, ...

llama you are living proof that the internet is rotting your brain. Just get in the voting booth and vote you pocket book.

The nice thing about egotists is that they don’t talk about other people.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

It was OK when you were ripping GWB 24/7/365 wasn't it yourworstnightmare, jerk. You know where you can place your comments.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 11 months ago

Come on. An anonymous forum with tantalizing stories posted to encourage this sort of behavior? And you expect people to behave differently? The LJW is a for profit company who want as many people as possible posting so that they see the ads on the threads. Anonymity just adds gasoline to the fire.

This is entertainment and should be considered nothing more. It would be nice if people discussed things like rationale beings, but this is not the case.

So, get out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat. Otherwise, enjoy.

beatrice 3 years, 11 months ago

L276, what you are witnessing are the rants from sore losers, those "patriots" who are all gung-ho for 'merica, until their party loses. Then they hate - HATE - what America stands for. It is sad.

The right wingers want to "take our country back." Indeed, they do. Thinking people, however, want to take our country forward.

seriouscat 3 years, 11 months ago

I too stared my own blog out of frustration over the way comments devolve into one sided talking points. There are far too many people who would rather win arguments than actually learn anything or take a more nuanced approach to the issues of the day. And yes, the LJW is particularly bad. The same handful of people dominate the LJW comments like playground bullies and make it seem futile to even participate.

Can it be improved? I don't know if the general trend in comments can be improved, but I DO think that folks who want to make a positive change are more likely to do it effectively in the real world than in the cyber one.

tange 3 years, 11 months ago

dis course dat course tit for tat, o' course

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh jee Tom,....no Obama, Reid, Pelosi out to take over America and makes us in to mindless robots? Soylent Green? Better a gram than a damn? And I would heart me some penders about now...

foot pads and socialist and media hype live unprecedented Viva le France

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

Again, I must defer you to the W years. Nuff said.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

In the first place, Socialsim is not a bad word. It is not a bad sytem. It is merely used as a matter of convenience by one side or the other. The simple fact that western civilization has transended the tribal cultures of the Goths/Vandals/Huns dictates by societal evolution that we are by nature a socialistic peoples. It is just those who at any particular time feel disenfranchised, they grasp at any mechanism to respond....right now it's all the righties that voted for McCain...or at least those who couldn't accept the loss. Can the quality of discourse change? Of course it can. When purposeful lies can be replaced by thought out reason.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

"America, you're failing me." illana

I'm sorry. I didn't know I owed you anything.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

BTW, today is the birthday of Pol Pot, who is currently in third place in the ranking of 20th Century Communist leaders for number of own subjects killed.

Liberty_One 3 years, 11 months ago

"This government doesn't want to run our businesses."

Hundreds of thousands of pages of government regulations dictating what businesses can and can't do suggest otherwise.

Regardless, insisting on the narrowest definition of socialism is just as bad as going the other way. And the very fact that you and others are so defensive about calling things socialist is the reason one has to point out socialist tendencies. You're so defensive about it because it's backdoor socialsim. It's death by a thousand cuts. If the government controls every aspect of your business but your name is still on the deed, what's the functional difference?

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 11 months ago

"How does the political discourse in this country improve?"

Quick - Who made this comment: "You guys are nuts. Please leave your houses and get jobs."

Which user identified mr_right_wing (another user) as, "A right wing lunatic"?

The political discourse will improve when facts can be dealt with as facts. The political discourse will improve when a dissenting commenter does not resort to name calling and ad hominem attacks. The political discourse will improve when both sides accept the facts of both sides; and, acknowledge opinion in a respectful way.

madameX 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree with you, llama726, unfortunately I have no answers.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

Translation "now that my ox is being gored, people should behave better". Mind that screen door on your way out.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 11 months ago

well you see... in all actuality, the rift between Republicans and Democrats is engineered by the media and the leaders of those parties. This gives us another distraction in life to ignore the real situation. The New World Order which has been in construction since the early 1900's is coming together just as expected. The European Union, NAFTA, etc. are all parts of this long term plan that the worlds elite have in mind. Keep an eye on the Council on Foreign Relations. They are the folks who tell the President and the Secretary of State how it's going to be. Barack/GWB/Clinton.. it doesn't matter. they all work for the same guys (and it aint us!)

So, being fed up with what's going on in American politics is pretty silly, because regardless of R or D, they are all Them, and you are one of us (also known as the Haves & Have Nots)

llama726 3 years, 11 months ago