LJWorld.com weblogs Lehrence, KS

Wilco

http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/15/DSCN3427.JPG"Man, this is a perfect night."Jeff Tweedy captured the essence of last night in one sentence. Mid-way through the nearly two and a half hour set, it was (I hope) evident to everyone, paying fans and "illegal downloaders" as Tweedy referred to the non-paying crowd, that the downtown Wilco show set a very high standard for what Lawrence can do.http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/15/DSCN3433.JPGI don't know if it was the long, cold winter or the nearly $4 gas, but I definitely needed a jump start to get the summer rolling and Mike Logan and Pipeline Productions pulled it off better than perfectly. It made me real happy and excited to know that not only do we have a bit of green space downtown, but that it can be used real well.What really could have been done better? Ticket prices were fair for a Wilco show and if you didn't want to support a local company doing good for the community, you could still enjoy the show for free. Plenty of good sight lines to the stage, great sound, ideal weather. No riots, no damage, not even terribly long lines for the bathroom. We even tried to think of a better band to play downtown and couldn't come up with any. My wife and friends and I did play "Fantasy Wilco" (like fantasy football only instead we picked our favorite songs to be played) and I only hit one out of five, so that could have been better I suppose.http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/15/DSCN3442.JPGIn either case, last night proved that Lawrence can generate new ways to have fun in our town and show visitors what they are missing. Thank you to everyone involved. Even better, from a commenter on a Wilco message board, "Had an awesome time last night. The band was on top of it's game and the venue was spectacular. The weather was perfect, sound was good, people were great. Took my 12 yo daughter for her first Wilco show, and she loved it...Of course another one of many great days in Lawrence."Here's to many more.http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/15/DSCN3436.JPGhttp://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/May/15/DSCN3444.JPG

Comments

Ronda Miller 7 years ago

Yeah, I would certainly think so! I appreciate this blog though because anytime something is so well received in our community and I missed out on it - well, just let me say next time I plan on being there too!

Steve Jacob 7 years ago

You must have not been to many concerts granddame. $28 is not bad now. Look at The Police and Tina Turner at Sprint Center.

Ronda Miller 7 years ago

Beautiful night for this event, Matt. I wish I would have forced myself out into the night instead of staying home to watch who got voted off of American Idol!Thanks for taking the time to take pictures to post with your blog! :)

granddame 7 years ago

The JWorld announced the ticket price for the Wilco concert at $28 which for many of us (retirees, young families) is steep. I didn't go for that reason but would loved to have taken my granddaughter and joined in the community fun. However, I just read in Matt's article that we could have gone for free. I would have gladly made a contribution to see the show but $28 is simply too high. The city has talked up the concert in the Jworld and elsewhere and I hope more will come to Lawrence. But, to include all members of the population by having a reasonable ticket price or suggested dontation would be appreciated. If going for free or suggested donation is an option, please include that information in the announcements. Thanks,

camper 7 years ago

Overall good show. I like their AM album and the two collaberations with Billy Bragg most of all...but the stuff from all of the releases comes off good in a live venue. The crowd was good and quite serene. Bumped into a few people from long ago too. Great to look up and see the moon, or look at folks sitting on rooftops or watching from the parking garage. Made for a memorable night. The police were cool too. I don't recall any problems.

Ronda Miller 7 years ago

I agree with grand that if you are on a fixed income and wanting to buy tickets for grandchildren, etc. that 28.00 is pricey. I wasn't there and I know the people who did go felt as though they got their money's worth. Hopefully there will be a way for grand to find out the availability of "free" tickets in advance of the event(s) next time around.Tina Turner tickets were on sale for two prices - just under 60.00 or around 150.00 and we still couldn't get our call in to buy any!!!!

malehrman 7 years ago

I do agree that $28 is expensive on a fixed budget. I only appreciated it as a Wilco ticket price, which seemed to me to be about average from previous experience.I also agree that a free show downtown with a high-profile headliner would be equally exciting as Wilco. In about 1998 or so, the Smashing Pumpkins sought to play free shows in cities across the country, and only Minneapolis took them up on the offer. I think that night, shared with about 100,000 people, turned me on to live concerts forever.