LJWorld.com weblogs New Ideas, New Possibilities

Write a sentence for each new word in the Oxford Dictionary of English

San Francisco Chronicle photograph

San Francisco Chronicle photograph by Lawrence Morgan

New words in the Oxford Dictionary of English

Now that the Olympics are over, we can get on with ordinary life. Why not try your English skills with the newest words from the Oxford Dictionary of English?

The Oxford Dictionary of English, published by the Oxford English Dictionary, is a dictionary based on how language is used in everyday life. They have 200 new phrases in their latest edition, which just came out August 10th, 2011.

The San Francisco Chronicle had a great time with these new words:

I would like to see how many people can make original sentences with these new words (please keep your sentences suitable for a family newspaper).

Here are all the new words:

And here's information on the Oxford Dictionary of English:

And, while you're at it, I can't resist showing these new pants which John Daly is wearing to increase awareness of prostate cancer research, when he plays at the PGA Championship in Kiawah Island, S.C. Why couldn't we all wear clothes, at times, to suggest causes we are interested in? Designers, please speak up. Why not a shop in Lawrence for unusually designed clothes?

Write your new sentences as comments to this blog, before you find an exit strategy! (And you can do better than I' ve done by a long shot!)

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

There are some great clothes and accessories to be found on the steampunk site. William Gibson is one of the best authors not only of cyberpunk but also steampunk.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

Addendum

1 * On so many of my postings, I sure do wish I could add an addendum.

Bling (n): Expensive, ostentatious clothing and jewelry. "His bling is ostentatious." (Getty Images)

2 * She was so good looking, but she couldn't go out without her bling. And all of her old boyfriends had paid for it! For her, they were like, trophies I guess.

Bromance (n): A close but non-sexual relationship between two men. "Do Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have the bro-iest bromance of all?"

3 * Yeah, they say it's an abromance, but I think they're swingin' both ways.

Chillax (v): Calm down and relax. "Let's go to the beach and chillax."

4 * Yeah honey, let's hang out and cillax on the sofa,,,

Crunk (adj): Very excited or full of energy. "Lil Jon wants everyone to get crunk, you guys."

5 * Man, he was so crunk that I thought he was coked!

D'oh (ex): Exclamation used to comment on a foolish or stupid action, especially one's own. "D'oh! We drank all the beer and the game hasn't even started yet."

6 * D'oh, D'oh, D'oh, I was totally shocked when I found out about her! And I wanted to get married to her! D'oh!, D'oh!, D'oh!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

Droolworthy (adj): Extremely attractive or desirable. "Kate Upton is probably the reason the word droolworthy exists."

7 * One of her two best qualities was that she was so droolworthy that Nick Krug mentioned that when he saw those pictures of her."

Frankenfood (n): Genetically modified food. "The people at the farmer's market wouldn't go near Frankenfood, such as genetically modified 'Golden Rice' plants."

8 * The biggest problem with frankenfood is the pollen gets pollenates the carpels whereever the wind blows, and then you don't really know what you're eating!

Grrrl (n): A young woman regarded as independent and strong or aggressive, especially in her attitude to men or in her sexuality (A blend of Grrrr and Girl.) "Go ahead and have that baby, Juno. You go, grrrl."

9 * She's a grrl for sure, she rides a Harley!

Guyliner (n): Eyeliner that is worn by men. "Jared Leto almost single-handedly keeps guyliner companies in business."

10 * I thought guyliner went out with Charley Chaplin.

Hater (n): A person who greatly dislikes a specified person or thing. "LeBron James haters gonna hate."

11 * He's a hater for Republicans, and I just can't figure that out. There's at least two or three that's honest!

Illiterati (n): People who are not well educated or well informed about a particular subject or sphere of activity. "Let's hope the illiterati stay home on Election Day."

12 * I like to use lots of obtuse words in my postings because that makes some people feel like they're illiterati.

Infomania (n): The compulsive desire to check or accumulate news and information, typically via mobile phone or computer. "Infomania is sweeping the world."

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

13 * I know he's an infomania because every time I try to tell him some news, he's already heard it.

Jeggings (n): Tight-fitting stretch trousers for women, styled to resemble a pair of denim jeans. "Jeggings are the attractive cousin of jorts."

14 * Yeah, man you're right. Those jeggings make her look so hot!

La-la Land (n): A fanciful state or dream world. Also, Los Angeles. "She's off in la-la land, dreaming of becoming an actress."

15 * I ran away to California three times now, and every time the same thing happened. I find out it's not like it was in the 70s, and it just plan La-La land to think that it would be as much fun years later. Damn, when I was out there, we'd go to the beach and look for campfires, then we'd go there and chillax with whoever was there. Can't do that now!

Locavore (n): A person whose diet consists only or principally of locally grown or produced food. "The lacovore went to the farmer's market."

16 * I think it's ridiculous that more people aren't socavores. Have you ever looked on the labels of tomatos in Dillons? They're grown in Canada!

Mankini (n): A brief one-piece bathing garment for men, with a T-back. "I wanted to vomit when I saw a picture of a bunch of dudes wearing mankinis."

17 * The only place I'd ever wear a mankini is in the shower. And even then it's only a maybe!

Mini-Me (n): A person closely resembling a smaller or younger version of another. "Verne Troyer is the original Mini-Me."

18 * I heard about a Mini-Me a while ago, and I just couldn't believe they were't related somehow.

Muffin Top (n): A roll of fat visible above the top of a pair of women's tight-fitting low-waisted trousers. "Some people are proud of their muffin tops."

19 * She shouldn't be out in public in jeggings! Muffinpop for sure!

Po-po (n): The police. "Slow down, man. Po-po up ahead."

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

20 * I was having some problems a while ago, and there's the po-pos tellin' me I need some help. So, I went to the psych ward and got some.

Sexting (n): The sending of sexually explicit photographs or messages via mobile phone. "Another celebrity is caught up in a sexting scandal."

21 * Seriously, I heard about a guy that sent a real bad picture of himself to a co-worker, and that sexting got him fired that day. And then later, he died of brain cancer, he just wasn't thinkin' right when he did that.

Twitterati (n): Keen or frequent users of the social networking site Twitter. "The Twitterati is growing by the day."

22 * If you're not a Twitterati, you have no clue of what's going on. You won't be part of a flash mob ever, that's for sure!

Upcycle (v): Reuse (discarded objects or material) in such a way as to create a product of higher quality or value than the original. "An old toy truck was upcycled into a whimsical planter."

23 * I'm always doin' ucycle out of dumpsters. Once I upsycled some accounting textbooks and learned a few thigs about accounting. I should have majored in it, it was so easy. But, I'm comparing it to arrays of differential equations, so maybe my view of it is warped. Seriously, I majored but didn't finish by 5 classes Electrical Engineering because I wanted to know how transistors. work. Yes, I know how they work now, but it sure wasn't worth it.

Whovian (n): A fan of the British science-fiction television series Doctor Who. "That Whovian is totally geeking out right now."

24 * You're not a Whovian? What are you doing in here?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 4 months ago

That was only the San Francisco Chronicle's new words. I'm done, I quit!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

Very good, but way too much work for me. I went with my favorite. I am glad those words made it into the dictionary as language is organic and every changing. I would hope that others would contribute to this blog. I love your sentences!

Lawrence Morgan 2 years, 4 months ago

Ron, those are great!!! Much better than I could do.

and frankie8, thanks very much for your referral to steampunkemporium. I will look at it right away.

Once school is in session, this would be a great time to introduce the Oxford English Dictionary, in many ways the greatest of English dictionaries. Many students might really like it. The web site is www.oed.com There are a great many useful articles and videos on this web site.

But the Oxford Dictionary of English is also a fascinating project. It includes "a network of consultants [which] provide extensive coverage of English usage from the US to the Caribbean and New Zealand." I've always wanted to study in greater detail the English language in other parts of the world.

I hope there are lots of others who reply with their own sentences, including English teachers of all levels.