LJWorld.com weblogs In Simple Words

Things That Aren't Downtown

I'm spending a day downtown, mostly in the library, while my car is in the shop.

This has, not surprisingly, given me a chance to consider how the character of downtown has changed.

While walking up to Milton's this morning for breakfast, I was reminded of a visit to the doctor when I was young. His office was over one of the shops on the east side of the 800 block of Mass, as near as I can recall (it was 50 years ago!).

Don't know of any businesses above any of these shops now, at least the kind without music to loud for my middle (ok, maybe late middle) age ears.

I don't see any grocery stores near downtown anymore. Nor drugstores.

Is there anything to do downtown during the day besides shop, eat, and get a haircut? Is there anything to life besides these three things?

In the evening there are the bars and Liberty Hall. It and Ernst and Son hardware are the only things I remember from the downtown of my youth. Did I miss anything?

BTW, I still have time to do an IPS post this week. It could happen!

Comments

David Klamet 2 years, 8 months ago

Sleep at the Eldridge. Read, etc. at the library. Do artsy kind of stuff at the Arts center.

lazydazy 2 years, 8 months ago

Yea so, Don't stay there if you don't like the price. It's a beautiful Hotel & my stay after a concert at LIberty Hall Was Wonderful!! They have great brunches & Pineapple Martinis, made with Local vodka. I love Lawrence. So much culture. Anything goes!! please leave out the political crap. It's crap.

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

You could always walk the alleys blindfolded. Guess the eating establishment by the stench of rancid cooking grease spilled on the way to the dumpster.

(my bad)

David Klamet 2 years, 8 months ago

I forgot Weavers. How could I forget them?

What is the oldest restaurant still open in Lawrence? My first guess would be Mad Greek.

ScottyMac 2 years, 8 months ago

Mad Greek? Not even close! The oldest restaurant in Lawrence is most certainly El Matador. They've been in North Lawrence since the late 50s I believe. Their neighbor to the west, La Tropicana, has been there for nearly as long. Johnny's has been in business since 1953, although I don't think they served food there until the late 70s. Border Bandito on 23rd Street has been there since the late 60s or early 70s. Ditto for Taco John's.

David Klamet 2 years, 8 months ago

Didn't one of the restaurants in N. Lawrence move to 23rd street for a while?

Thanks for the info.

gonewest 2 years, 7 months ago

Until approximately '74 Border Bandito was Donchilido's (SP?). I'm certain I'm very biased, but..."Best Chees Enchiladas...ever!" :)

somedude20 2 years, 8 months ago

walk up and down Mass people watching (girl watching is good if your late middle age equipmunk still is in service) I have seen a number of street urchins, I mean street musicians playing dt, stop and listen to the music. Wed nights the city band plays See a movie at Lib Hall (Tuesdays are 2 4 1) Read the paper while having a coffee sitting on a bench Harass the youngsters, old people do that well and seem to enjoy it Check out the museum (being late middle age you might recognize some artifacts)

Hope this helps, god bless!

geekin_topekan 2 years, 8 months ago

You could stop in to the Harbor and have a round of 3.2 before heading across to the Granada to see Beverly Hills Cop. Maybe step into the Town Crier for a pack of smokes before a post movie taco from Taco John's?

Wait. What?

pizzapete 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes, there are still law offices, dentists, accountants, recording studios, county offices, utility offices, banks, an art and craft supplier, antique mall, computer/copy business, tire shop, bakery, a couple churches, a couple hotels, and a new health club and architecture firm all downtown. And don't forget we can boast a Mexican/taco or Italian/pizza shop on every block.

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

Wilson Sporting Goods. I think they closed around '75. Purchased my first 12 ga., a .243 bolt action, a .22 revolver and a Ruger Mark I .22 there. And like Wilson's they are long gone now.

rbwaa 2 years, 8 months ago

Woolworths, Earl's Pizza, Drake Bakery and maybe Varsity [?] ice cream

RoeDapple 2 years, 8 months ago

Malott's Hardware, Hopkin's Sheet Metal, Green's Hardware, Cambell's Menswear, Jay Shoppe.

JackMcKee 2 years, 8 months ago