LJWorld.com weblogs In Simple Words

In Plain Sight 1/29/2011

Previous: IPS 9/12/2011
Next: IPS 2/6/2011

hujiko identified this week's subject, see the end of the post for the answer

It's been quite a while since I last made an IPS post. I realized I still enjoy doing it and so I'm back for another try.

This week I have a couple of photos of a subject that is nowhere near the city limits--but still in Douglas County. If you haven't been out to see some of the great scenery in the area--yes, even in winter--then you won't have seen this week's subject.

Full size Image

Image #2

Full size Image

The image(s) above is(are) of a subject somewhere in the area. I'll add additional pictures of the subject over the next few days. You are invited to try to guess the subject and location. I'll notify the first person who correctly identifies the subject or location of the entire photo. That subject or location won't be revealed until later, after the answer is obvious. I suggest that people indicate that their guess is "Final" as opposed to just speculation and limit themselves to one final answer per person.

You can check my twitter account to see when new images are posted, or just check back here.

Suggestions for interesting, out of the way (or not so out of the way) subjects are welcome. Hey, this is harder than it looks....well, sometimes at least.

Mound cemetery, 2 miles south of Stull on 250 Rd. (at 1400 Rd)

Comments

Nikki May 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't know the answer, but I'm glad you are back!

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

That is a tree. Just south of the Lecompton satellite fire station on the west end of K-10 bypass. Final answer. (but NOT the crash site of Amelia Earhart!)

I'm glad you're back too Dave.

riverdrifter 3 years, 10 months ago

It looks like Colyer cemetery over south of Lone Star lake about two miles. Also known as Fairview, it's a gnarly old cemetery which sits up on a hill with a nice view. Final answer, I guess.

hujiko 3 years, 10 months ago

Mound Cemetery, 2 miles south of Stull at the intersection of N 1400 and E 250.

riverdrifter 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, heck, I should've thought of that one. It's a cool little cemetery. As good a place as any to get planted.

hujiko 3 years, 10 months ago

The second of the Stull Cemeteries. It's quite beautiful from the top.

"On November 1, 1890, a charter was drawn up for the Mound Cemetery, located two and a half miles south of Stull on land previously donated by James Hall for the use by the community. The directors and trustees where Thomas Shaw, John E. Rake, George Gress, C.C. Hall, and John A. Price. The northwest section of the perimeter road for the Clinton Lake now brushes the eastern edge of the old cemetery which, located on a scenic natural mound, offers a full view of the Clinton Dam approximately ten miles to the east."

Soil of Our Souls Histories of the Clinton Lake Area Communities Martha Parker & Betty Laird

David Klamet 3 years, 10 months ago

hujiko is correct. And there was a copy of "Soil of our Souls" on Amazon which will be on it's way to me this week.