LJWorld.com weblogs In Simple Words

In Plain Sight 1/27/2010

Previous:IPS 1/20/2010
Next:IPS 2/3/2010

beerdrinkingfool identified this week's subject. See the end of this post for the answer

saDSC_5840a.JPG

saDSC_5840a.JPG

2nd image:

saDSC_5840b.JPG

saDSC_5840b.JPG

3rd image:

saDSC_5840c.JPG

saDSC_5840c.JPG

This week's subject has me a bit excited. It is simple and a bit out of the way. I'm not sure what it says about me if something liket this passes for excitement in my life.

Anyway, it should be easy, but I'm usually wrong when I think that.

Yep, I've put the images near the top of the post. You don't care about the blather here, anyway, so I've moved it down.

The image(s) above is(are) a part of a photo I took somewhere in the area. I'll add additional parts of the picture over the next few days. You are invited to try to guess the subject and location of the photo. I'll notify the first person who correctly identifies the subject or location of the entire photo. That subject or location won't be revealed until later, after the answer is obvious. I suggest that people indicate that their guess is "Final" as opposed to just speculation and limit themselves to one final answer per person.

You can check my twitter account to see when new images are posted, or just check back here. I normally post a new picture each Wednesday evening.

Suggestions for interesting, out of the way (or not so out of the way) subjects are welcome. Hey, this is harder than it looks....well, sometimes at least.

Are you actually reading the "fine print" I include with these posts? If you actually read down this far, send me a messages through the LJW private message page and I might send you a hint on next week's subject.

Or I might not.

Horshoe pits south of South Junior High

Comments

beerdrinkingfool 4 years, 2 months ago

yeah it depends on how good your throw is and if the kubb rolls but there is strategy

Mariposa 4 years, 2 months ago

beerdrinkingfool Swedish game! It does sound interesting. The web site I found has a set of blocks and sticks with a canvas bag for fifty dollars. It stated that the pieces are laid out like a chess game. Is the strategy the same? As me Mum says, "learn something new everyday."

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 2 months ago

I did not know the men playing horseshoes were that out of control in this town!

Guys have done just fine driving two sticks in the ground for a couple hundred years...and Lawrence spent money on this? Let me guess, throwing a horseshoe is a 'projectile' and therefore illegal, so they built a safe zone or something?

Fenced, lighted...old men are rolling in their graves. How about a jacks court for little girls? Or better one whole fence, lighted area for hopscotch?

After all, sidewalks are for walkers. It's better to keep the kids off them, they could interfere with pedestrians, and those sidewalks aren't lit properly, not are they fenced for safety. Not everyone had a sidewalk, so that would make a accessible place for everyone to come draw their own hopscotch area. City could provide some of that recycled toxic dust to be enclosed in asphalt for it, and make little rocks of the kids too.

: /

beerdrinkingfool 4 years, 2 months ago

no there was a scavenger hunt in the area and i remember the field . I play a better game called KUBB, look that one up .

Mariposa 4 years, 2 months ago

I had to Google horseshoe pitching as I had no idea what it was. There are pages of rules and regulations around throwing two horseshoes at a stake in the ground. A complete kit can cost one hundred dollars. It would seem this game is about arm strength and hand-eye coordination. Sounds interesting, though. beerdrinkingfool am I right in assuming that you play this game which is why you were able to identify it?

Nikki May 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with beer drinking fool.

Mariposa 4 years, 2 months ago

Central Junior High at 14th and Mass. Final answer.

beerdrinkingfool 4 years, 2 months ago

the horseshoe field at broken arrow park final answer.

David Lignell 4 years, 2 months ago

Dual landing strips at Lawrence Airport for the flying monkeys; circa 1939, Wizard of Oz. Final answer!

cece_stand 4 years, 2 months ago

My best guess is that it is on West 18th between Maine St. and Missouri St. Normally only accessible for foot traffic, around game time it has been opened for vehicles. Final Answer.

David Klamet 4 years, 2 months ago

Can't tell the gender from the name, so the gender reference may be incorrect. Didn't intend to be sexist.

David Klamet 4 years, 2 months ago

As always, hujiko is observant and insightful. However, in this case, I must also add...incorrect.

But her suggestion......