LJWorld.com weblogs In Simple Words

The New Highway 59 is Coming to Town, or Maybe NOT?

A month or so ago, I happened to notice the highway construction for the new 59 highway the path for utility lines south of Lawrence. Recently, I drove around the area east of "old" 59 between N650 and N1100 Rd. Based on my travels, I did this ROUGH map of what the path into town appears to be. Note that this map only shows the highway starting from N600/650 Rd (1.5 miles east of Zarco south of town).Well, it appears this is actually the path for utility lines into town. Well, it was fun creating the map and taking the pictures. I recently posted on the subject of making mistakes and tolerance. In light of that, this is an interesting turn of events.
View Larger Map
The blue balloon is near where E1450 connects to N600/650. This following image shows the road north (towards Lawrence).
The yellow balloon marks where the highway crosses N800 Rd. The image below looks north towards town.http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/Jan/12/DSC_0685a.JPGThe red balloon identifies where the highway crosses N1000 Rd (Wells Overlook Rd). The next image looks north.http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/Jan/12/DSC_0691b.JPGAnd finally, this image looks the other way, back south across Wells Overlook Rd.http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2008/Jan/12/DSC_0694a.JPG
The road continues on past N1100 Rd, but sorry, no pictures yet.

Comments

riverdrifter 6 years, 3 months ago

Those are natural gas lines. They were last renewed when I was about ten in the early sixties. They will next next be be renewed when nobody here cares. Plant the right-of-way back to wantever you want until then and cash your check. This is nothing compared to the highway...

50YearResident 6 years, 3 months ago

Dave, back to map reading 101.......

David Klamet 6 years, 3 months ago

Observer76. If that's true, then I have a big "oops"!.

Now that you mention it, , looking at the steep grade near N650 along the path, you must be correct. I was also wondering why it was going straight north so far.

And, come to thing about it, it is not really wide enough for a four lane road..

observer76 6 years, 3 months ago

I am looking forward to the safety of the new highway. Excellent job on the pictures and map.

However, I believe that the work you have documented above is actually a new underground utility line, and is not where the new highway will be. I think the new highway will be built approximately 300 yards to the east of the existing highway.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 3 months ago

Newer wider roads tell drivers to put the pedal to the metal and all of those trucks the world is expecting will increase the cost of highway maintenance. Oddly enough state troopers seem to look the other way and cannot see speeding tailgating 18 wheelers.

David Klamet 6 years, 3 months ago

It is a nice area. And yes, it is a bit of a shame. In this case, though, I know several people who have lost loved ones on 59 between here and Ottawa. I'm sure many can say the same.

This is one time that I feel what is lost is clearly compensated by the safety of a better road.

David Lignell 6 years, 3 months ago

Great pictures, Dave. The new highway 59 will be efficient, but somehow your pictures leave me a bit sad. I wonder what will happen to such a beautiful rural landscape, which will soon be converted into a busy transporation route.