LJWorld.com weblogs In Simple Words

So Much to See #6 (2/3/2008)

Comments

David Lignell 6 years, 10 months ago

Dave,

Is this one of the stones in the small gravesite located by Henry T's? Can't remember the name, but it's between the carwash and Henry T's, just off of 6th Street.

Nikki May 6 years, 10 months ago

There's a gravesite by Henry T's? Wow, interesting. I was thinking Pioneer Cemetery.

Nikki May 6 years, 10 months ago

See, I'm thinking of changing my original vote. I was going to change it to Josiah Miller's grave at Oak Hill, but the ground is settled more and I don't remember it from the 3rd grade field trip I went on last year having a fence, so I'm sticking with Pioneer for now.

Cody Howard 6 years, 10 months ago

I had a guess, then read the comments and Dave already guessed it. I believe the name on the large headstone in that little plot is Henry T. Thomas (hence, Henry T's.)

David Lignell 6 years, 10 months ago

Cody,

Go figure. I wonder if the original Henry T made buffalo wings as tasty as his namesake bar!

Nikki May 6 years, 10 months ago

I seriously didn't even know there was a gravesite there. I don't go over to that area too much, but I'm so checking it out this week.

Cody Howard 6 years, 10 months ago

Here's a link to a story from the Journal-World in 2001:

Of course, we could all be wrong and this could be Pioneer Cemetery or James Naismith's headstone over in east Lawrence, but since we're talking about it...I figured I'd post it.

David Lignell 6 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, Cody. Now that I see the stones, however, they don't look like Dave Klamet's picture. Okay, Dave. Stop being coy. Time for a hint. Are we warm or cold? And if so, how warm or cold?

Cody Howard 6 years, 10 months ago

That makes me think punkrockmom got it. Pioneer Cemetery. Plus, I should refresh myself on my own articles, apparently. Not Henry T. Thomas. Henry T. Davis.

Henry Thomas was a defensive lineman for the Vikings and Lions.

David Klamet 6 years, 10 months ago

If some of the above comments were getting close....

...and I'm not saying that they are....

but if they were, the next question (as stated) is, "WHAT is the object in the picture?"

Cody Howard 6 years, 10 months ago

The recently rediscovered Monument to the Unknown Union Dead of the Civil War in Pioneer Cemetery?

Nikki May 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm sticking with Pioneer because of the ground settling. Is it Thomas Barber? He's the most famous right? I just don't know.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 10 months ago

Dave,

Okay, I'm ready for the next one. Surely, I'll figure one of these out!

Nikki May 6 years, 10 months ago

The only reason I guessed was because my daughter's class did this for a field trip last year.