LJWorld.com weblogs In Simple Words

Lawrence, The Way It Was

If you're a long time Lawrence resident, here's a little quiz to see what you remember about Lawrence the way it was...

1. Where and what was Griff's?
  2. What major retail chain had a store where the Antique Mall is now located. (Hint, it has moved again since then). For extra credit, where did it move to before moving to its present location?
  3. Name a store that is now located where Woolworth's used to be located.
  4. Bucky's originally had another name, what was it?
  5. Where did George's Hobby Shop used to be located?
  6. What was the name of the drive-in theater that was located on 6th Street near where Sonic is now located?
  7. There was yet another drive-in theater in town, where was it? For extra credit what was its name. Please tell me, I don't know.
  8. Where was the Vista drive-in located?
  9. What is the name of the restaurant that occupied the building where Bambino's is now?
  10. Where was the "Campus Hideaway" located?

Extra credit if you: 1. Went to a movie at either of the drive-in theaters mentioned above. 2. Actually climbed on the train in the "Train Park" (Buford M. Watson, Jr. Park) before the fence was placed around it. 3. Ever saw Leo Beuerman in his little cart downtown. Triple extra credit if you ever bought a pencil from him.

Comments

David Klamet 7 years ago

And what grocery was at 23rd and Louisiana, before Checkers?

jhkfan 7 years ago

Ok, I knew all of them except the one about the "other" drive-in. Where do I cash in my points & what did I win? Very nostalgic. Here's another one....anyone remember Quantrill's Flea Market?

David Klamet 7 years ago

No clue on the 3-4-1 59. Something to do with the drive wheels on the locomotive?

I was in Quantrill's a time or two. Did that evolve into the Antique Mall, or are they totally separate?

Ralph Reed 7 years ago

I know 1, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 0

I'm fuzzy on 2, 3 and 5 (and a lot of other things)

I have no idea on 7 and 9

I get all the extra credit. Do I get additional points for eating a round-the-world pizza at the Campus Hideaway?

Alia Ahmed 7 years ago

Dave,

How fun! I got them all except the drive-ins. I've been in Lawrence off and on since 1972. I still eat at the Vista in Topeka and Manhattan whenever I have a chance. I loved the chocolate chip shakes at Bucky's. Do you remember the two places Litwin's was located? How about where Drake's Bakery used to be? What two restaurants were at the location that is now Jade Garden on 23rd Street?

SloMo 7 years ago

Extra credit if you ever ate at the Lion or Shorty's!

Logan5 7 years ago

The burgers at Griff's used to cost 35 cents.

They used to have specials at the drive-in where they would charge just one admission per vehicle, so I took all my friends in the back of my Dad's 2-ton dump truck. We tipped the bed up and watched the movie from chaise lounges. Those were the good old days.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

1. Penneys and then they moved to where Hobby Lobby is now.

Where was Griff's?

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

Damn... Litwin's... I'm spacing out! What was Litwin's? I know I use to go there or do business there but for the life I me I can't remember what it was.....

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

Litwin's was a clothing store. Was there one in Lawrence? There was one in Ottawa.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

dorothyhr Now I remember... thank you... Yes there was one in Lawrence but now I can't remember where it was...

it's hell getting old...

mrjcg2 7 years ago

Remeber when there was an old navy jet with an open cockpit you could get in and climb around on the west side of Centennial park? Tons of jagged metal and you could crawl in through the rear where the engine had been and it was a total private area (also with tons of jagged metal). It was a blast....

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

observantone Yes... I remember that about Levis! Thank you! but where was it located???

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Hey, here are some more trivia questions! Where was The Hole In The Wall located that sold the AWESOME lunches in the little white boxes? Remember Drake's Bakery? Remember Raney's Drugs? What store used to be where Dillon's on 23rd Street is and what was the store NEXT to it called?

Alia Ahmed 7 years ago

I think Litwins was originally where the current antique mall is, then moved across the street. Then J.C. Penny 's moved in there, right?

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Where and what was Griff's? No clue

What major retail chain had a store where the Antique Mall is now located. (Hint, it has moved again since then). For extra credit, where did it move to before moving to its present location? TG&Y? And didn't it move to 23rd and Haskell?

Name a store that is now located where Woolworth's used to be located. Kinko's

Bucky's originally had another name, what was it? Sandy's

Where did George's Hobby Shop used to be located? 23rd street

What was the name of the drive-in theater that was located on 6th Street near where Sonic is now located? I don't remember

There was yet another drive-in theater in town, where was it? For extra credit what was its name. Please tell me, I don't know. Me either

Where was the Vista drive-in located? 6th street

What is the name of the restaurant that occupied the building where Bambino's is now? I'm not sure where Bambino's is.

Where was the "Campus Hideaway" located? KU? lol I can't think of where it is.

Extra credit if you:

Went to a movie at either of the drive-in theaters mentioned above. yep

Actually climbed on the train in the "Train Park" (Buford M. Watson, Jr. Park) before the fence was placed around it. lots of times

Ever saw Leo Beuerman in his little cart downtown. yep

Triple extra credit if you ever bought a pencil from him. No triple extra credit for me. lol

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Here's another trivia question! Where was Bob's Big Boy located???? God I miss that place.

News_to_me 7 years ago

A few more.

Boyd's Grill

Duck's Seafood

The Velvet Freeze.

GretchenJP 7 years ago

News_to_me (Anonymous) says:

"A few more. Boyd's Grill Duck's Seafood The Velvet Freeze."

I don't remember any of those....????

lunacydetector 7 years ago

Where and what was Griff's? 23rd street where that coffee shop is now - used to be Sub & Stuff.

What major retail chain had a store where the Antique Mall is now located. (Hint, it has moved again since then). For extra credit, where did it move to before moving to its present location? That was JC Penney then it turned into Litwins. JC Penney moved to where Hobby Lobby is now.

Name a store that is now located where Woolworth's used to be located. Kinko's , Saffee's, Chipotle

Bucky's originally had another name, what was it? Sandy's

Where did George's Hobby Shop used to be located? In the front building next to Paper Warehouse.

What was the name of the drive-in theater that was located on 6th Street near where Sonic is now located? hmmm

There was yet another drive-in theater in town, where was it? 23rd & Louisiana where the Malls is now. For extra credit what was its name. Please tell me, I don't know.

Where was the Vista drive-in located? Where Custom Highline is now.

What is the name of the restaurant that occupied the building where Bambino's is now? Cornucopia

Where was the "Campus Hideaway" located? Where that dance place is just north of south park.

Extra credit if you:

Went to a movie at either of the drive-in theaters mentioned above. Yes

Actually climbed on the train in the "Train Park" (Buford M. Watson, Jr. Park) before the fence was placed around it. Yes

Ever saw Leo Beuerman in his little cart downtown. Yes, and I'll never forget that strange smell he had. Triple extra credit if you ever bought a pencil from him. Yes

Jeff Goodrick 7 years ago

Rusty's IGA at 23rd and Louisiana and 9 th and Iowa in the merc building, and the 3rd was in North Lawrence at the Harley Davison store, Duck's Tavern on Vermont st. The Skelly motor Inn on Vermont, The Yuk up and down, J Watsons, Happy Hal's Steakhouse, The Red Baron, Don's Steakhouse was out where the Holiday Inn express is now.

George_Braziller 7 years ago

JC Penney. It then moved into the old Montgomery Ward store on 23rd Street before moving to the current location

David Klamet 7 years ago

George's Hobby Shop was originally in the Mall (23rd and Lousiana). I remember that at the time they had a large slot car track, back when slot cars were popular.

Does anyone (besides me) remember the shape of the building Griff's was located in?

George_Braziller 7 years ago

Since no one gave the answer to this one it was Sunset Theater. That's why it's called Sunset shopping center, or mall or what ever it's called now.

matahari 7 years ago

Anyone remember the Zodiac? Minskys? (hint, not pizza) the Sandalwood? Lepodoptria? Flloyds' Big House?

and like the pencil guy, The Roving Eye?

George_Braziller 7 years ago

A few more to tickle your brain:

Where was "The Harvest"? What was the building's original use?

Where was Off the Wall Hall (later Dynamo Ballroom)?

What was the original use of the building where Cork and Barrel is now located?

The building on the northeast corner of 9th and Mississippi that is now offices used to sell what product?

thebigspoon 7 years ago

Why can't more of these commuity comments be made than the other terrible comments that are posted after other articles.

This is great!

bert 7 years ago

later for the rest. for years the rock chalk was the oldest restaurant still on location in lawrence. now they want to tear it down. ok. the dynamite, the southern pit. chuck's beer place. edith's. mark dowell. nick rice.

Godot 7 years ago

What about Willie's mexican food place on Vermont Street? What is there now?

And the pizza shop located in the basement of the Red Dog Inn that delivered pizzas in a VW Bus? As I recall they actually baked the pizzas in the VW and delivered them piping hot to your door. One of the owners later ran an infamous bar in OWL. What is the name of the bar?

bert 7 years ago

i think one or those places was the chuck wagon cafe owned by the dobbins family. hauled bales for them too long ago to imagine and they fed us there. this stuff is great!

Godot 7 years ago

bigspoon, you answered my question before I asked it.

Godot 7 years ago

Where was The Merc originally located?

Godot 7 years ago

Hint: back then it was "the co-op."

Newell_Post 7 years ago

Griff's was an A-frame building.

geekin_topekan 7 years ago

Where was Burgess's after hours bar? What used to be where the garden store at 9th and Indiana stands now,that had threefer thurdays? What stood where the Holiday Inn Xpress stands today? Where was Taco John's downtown located?

lunacydetector 7 years ago

don't forget about the gigantic slide and putt-putt on 23rd street. then there was Shakey's Pizza on 23rd that eventually turned into Valentino's Pizza that eventually became Boston Market that turned into the new Pizza Hut. Then there was the junky old gas station where the Panera strip center is now. Rax Roast Beef turned into Carlos O'Kelly's.

Wasn't the Merc located in an old house on 7th street near Louise's West? I only went there once. The Community Mercantile.

Remember IGA on Mass Street, where Allen Press is today? I can't forget John's Novelties. The building on the NE of 9th and Mississippi was Sanders Motors which sold Lincoln Mercury cars. I think the building on the SE corner was a grocery store then it became the Paladium then it was Pizzaz then it turned into Cork & Barrell. Gibson's Discount Center is Office Depot today and the old Food 4 Less used to be Falleys and it was the furthest building on south iowa except for KLWN at 31st & Iowa. 7-11 at 25th & Iowa is Shelter Insurance & Pro-Cuts. Days Inn and Chilis used to be a Holiday Inn and diner type restaurant. Volkswagen, Bum Steer BarBQ, ?? Bank, is Applebees and shopping center today. Ken's Pizza turned into Minsky's Pizza then turned into a vacant lot today (i think - unless Ken's Pizza replaced Shakey's Pizza and so forth). Dillons at 27th & Iowa turned into Ed Marlings turned into Dollar Tree. Putt Putt & Harwoods Meats at 31st & Iowa turned into Douglas County Bank. The whole chunk of ground where the Roller Rink / Bowling Alley at 33rd & Iowa got condemned by the city then it turned into an access road from KMart (World Market, etc) to Walmart but also turned into a Kohls. Then there was the Potters 66 at 23rd & Louisiana that turned into a Walgreens. The gas station at 6th & Florida turned into a shopping center. Ellena Toyota across from Dillons on 23rd is now University Bookstore. Priscilla's Toybox used to be an Amoco gas station (I think) then it turned into a Carries Frozen Custard then a pizza joint then today. Naughty But Nice was originally a 7-11. The Family Video was the Salvation Army and before that a Coast to Coast hardware store (I think) that later downsized to next door and before I don't know but before that a turning station for the trolley cars that ran up and down mass. street. Russell's East Restaurant (the fanciest restaurant in lawrence back in the day) on west 6th is now a Credit Union. the Sanctuary is an apartment complex. the abandoned frat house on 9th street turned into a condo/apartment complex. TG&Y is Westlake's Hardware today and Safeway is a Dollar store at 23rd & Louisiana. Dillons on 23rd Street used to be a Kroger/Super X. Noller Ford used to be John Haddock Ford. The Mr. Steak Gregg Tire is now Laird Noller Ford.

...enough of memory lane. memory not so good anymore - probably wrong on a few of these.

lunacydetector 7 years ago

taco john's downtown is now The Orient.

lunacydetector 7 years ago

Pup's Grill is now the garden store on 9th street (i think)

lunacydetector 7 years ago

the voodoo lounge i believe is the harbor lights today. the mad hatter is border's bookstore today. okay, enough already i tell myself.

Godot 7 years ago

The guy who manages Tuesday Morning used to work at Gibsons. Same physical location, same guy, same great service, just a different store, and alway so polite, for 30 years.

David Klamet 7 years ago

Does anyone remember the bowling alley that used to be at the corner of 9th and Mississippi? Was it called the Paladium,? I seem to recall it becamse a club for a while. Wasn't it the home of the Community Mercantile for a while, before it moved out to Iowa?

I used to bowl there as a kid. An older gentleman ran or owned it. Very old equipment, but extremely clean, neat, and well cared for.

Then there is Drag Strip Road. Some of the asphalt from the drag strip itself is still out there.

Ken Lassman 7 years ago

You're right, Gearhead about the 3 IGAs--and the "IGA" downtown at 11th and Mass on the NE corner was actually a Kroger's, wasn't it? Then there was Safeway in the Malls Shopping Center at 23rd & LA.

We used to bowl at the 9th & Mississippi alley, and when my Dad would bowl over 200, he'd bring home a dozen donuts from Joe's or Daylight Donuts--a good night! We would also keep our eyes open for the hamburger sale at Griff's 10 burgers for a dollar. Eating out was a rare treat back then. Sometimes we'd go up to the KU Union and eat at their cafeteria if it was a special event.

Jeff Goodrick 7 years ago

The clothing store by Mass. Dillions was Calhouns. The McCory Otasco store use to be the repair shop for the street cars Lawrence had. Mass. st was 59 Hiway and Iowa was a dirt road from 23rd to 7th st and 23rd st was 2 lane. The grocey store at 11th and Mass was an A&P Market ane Korgers was at 9th and NH. All Star dariy was at 6th and Vermont. but then it was called Lawrence Sanitary Dariy.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

What was the name of Liberty Hall in the 60's and 70's. Extra credit if you know the name of the club in the basement.

SloMo 7 years ago

Oh God, I loved Squeezer's Palace!

Greg Yother 7 years ago

Liberty Hall was Bowersock Theatre waaaaay back when, but not sure if it had already changed from that in the 60's.

Was the bar in the basement called The Cellar? A group of friends rented out Liberty Hall one time and we got to explore the place, and we ran into that bar; it still had all of the tables and chairs! It just looked like they closed the doors one day and never touched it again! Cool

thebigspoon 7 years ago

Liberty Hall was the Red Dog Inn at one time. Late 60's early 70's. Anybody remember KAT Suzuki motorcycle dealer or Ern's Yamaha ?

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

Liberty Hall was "The Red Dog Inn" in the 60s and "The Opera House" for a while in the 70s... It was also a disco for a while in the 70s... can't remember what it was called... Bugsy's... maybe?

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

crosstownbytch1 Stricks was great... I think it was Wednesday nights they had their T-bone steak special for right around 6 bucks...

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

and in the late 70s the bar in the basement of the Opera House was "The 7th Spirit"...

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

The club downstairs and I think the one up was called the Seventh Spirit. Those were the days of private clubs. The main floor was a tavern (3/2 beer) and the upstairs balcony was a "private club" where you could buy drinks. The basement was the same with several little rooms here and there with pool tables and booths. Sometimes the would have acoustic musicians playing down there. It was a great place for quiet evening of conversation and back gammon, until midnight. That's when the upstairs closed (they often had bands for dancing) and everyone who was 21 or had a fake id came downstairs.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

then there was "G's Bar-B-Que"... little hole in the wall right next to the Opera House... and of course the old bus station... now the FreeState Brewery...

Pattie Johnston 7 years ago

The other drive-in theater was the Lawrence Drive-In next to the Malls. The sign for the theater was a huge Indian Chief's head.

Way before Westlake's was T.G.& Y, it was a department store called the Boxer Store. Maupintour had it's offices in that area, too.

It's Taco Bell on 23rd Street now but in the early 60's, it was Allen's drive-in restaurant. Big hangout for high school kids...and their little sisters who could go is they didn't say anything for the whole night.

Anyone remember getting "tuna frenchies" at King's Food Host on---again--- 23rd street?

Litwin's was also on Mass St. where Travelers is now.

Hole in the Wall was in a convenient store at the corner of 9th & Illinois, where Rick's Place is now. It had a part of the store. I still can taste their "hole in the wall" special sandwich. Duckwall's is where Ingredients is now. It moved to the Hillcrest mall but before that, it was on Mass for years. It served "sloppy joe" sandwiches that were wonderful!

Red Dog Inn (Liberty Hall) with Seventh Spirit downstairs. I could only sneak into there but it was an interesting place.

GE electric was in the 1100 block of Mass, next to Brothers, and every Christmas there was a mechanical Santa Claus in the window. Really cool.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

once you get started on this stuff it's hard to leave it alone...

back when "The Bottleneck" was "Off the Wall Hall" the front part of the building, where the pool tables are now was "McKinney - Mason" music store...

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

PattieJ I was a "chesse frenchie" fan... and a few years back that little drive through place at the entrance to the Malls was a "Kings" and I got to eat cheese frenchies for a while after not having them for over 25 years... they were wonderful....

thebigspoon 7 years ago

How about the " the tan Man", Jim's steakhouse, The Sirloin restaurant,where the post office downtown was before it moved to where it is now,, do you remember what the "Olympic" was,JB's Big Boys had 2 locations, what about the Holiday park swimming pool, John's novelty store,Morris sports,what store's slogan was "if the Indian is out..."Art's motorcycle shop,Blevin's Honda,Horizon's Honda,Hopkin's VW,

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

"Sister Kettle" anyone? in the 70s... where Mass Street Music is now... and there was a different diner/cafe in there for years before that...

and "The Pentimento"? late 70s on Vermont street... next to the Red Lion and the Clydesdale...

jbnaughtin 7 years ago

When one wanted to eat a very late night meal in the 60's, beyond donuts & egg salad sandwiches at Joe's, there was Carol's Patio (open all night?) on 6th between Vermont and Kentucky (I think) and sometimes Bob's Our Place, where Mass St. Music is now. Two of Lawrence's best "greasy spoons." And don't forget the square cut pizzas at Earl's Pizza Palace in the House Bldg.

BigPrune 7 years ago

Griffs spit on the griddle so the burgers wouldn't stick.

BigPrune 7 years ago

Who can forget Smiling Pams and the duel belly button stripper?

Mammories, like the smile on her behind Busty saddle-bagging mammories The way they were.

SpeedRacer 7 years ago

Anyone remember the two skating rinks? What about the drive in restaurant that used to be at 23rd and Iowa or the A&W on 6th? The 2 Big Boys (one was a Shoneys, and Ithink the other a Bob's). Sambo's on 23rd or Denny's on 6th? I still give directions "go down 9th past where the old windmill used to be". Wasn't the Cornucopia called something else before it had that name?

Newell_Post 7 years ago

Haven't read every post.... Has anyone mentioned The Stables? What was the private club upstairs with the great deck out among the trees? It's all cheesy apartments now... Also, what was the bike shop down the street from there?

MattressMan 7 years ago

Bokonon Potion Parlor, best head shop in town.

Stables and the Sanctuary owned by Ace Johnson

thebigspoon 7 years ago

Does anybody remember the Carriage lamp ?

thebigspoon 7 years ago

What was on the corner of 6th and Maine where Taco Johns is now ?

thebigspoon 7 years ago

Private swimming pool : Holiday Park on 9th street just west of Lawrence avenue ?

thebigspoon 7 years ago

Dyanamile was on the corner of 23rd and La.

Tab 7 years ago

How about McRory Otasco's- located south of Dillons on Mass. St.

kcwarpony 7 years ago

"Days Inn and Chilis used to be a Holiday Inn and diner type restaurant."

Do you remember what was it after it was a Holiday Inn and before it was Days Inn?

Glad someone remembers Sanders Motor Co. My father worked there and made his way up to Service Manager. Does anyone have any old pictures or know of any pictures of the old building at 9th & Mississippi? That was my childhood playground :)

Newell_Post 7 years ago

"Carnival of Souls" is a cult movie that was shot in Lawrence in the early 1960's (?) They go by pretty quickly, but there are a few good shots of Mass. Street including the Masonic Lodge, the garage across the street, and some nearby buildings. Also, good interior shots of the old Reuter Organ building. It gets re-run on various cable movie channels every once in a while.

geekin_topekan 7 years ago

Remember when the ceramics shop at 11th and NewHampshire was still operating as a gas station? I bought my only full service tank of gas there in '84. Cost $1.20/g if memory serves.Seemed really steep at the time.Noone told me Full service costs extra.

David Lignell 7 years ago

Congrats, Dave. This post generated a lot of interest! I'm going to stand on the sidelines, though, with the other newbees who love the city, but lack the historical perspective. Keep 'em coming.

riverdrifter 7 years ago

"If the Indian's out, George is in."

I know who inherited the Indian, but can't tell ya.

I also know "Who (really) Stole Baby Jay" back in, like '78. Ain't gonna tell ya that either (pleads the fifth).

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Anyone remember the Lamplighter bookstore off of Mass street... it was on one of the side streets off Mass, don't remember which one.

News_to_me 7 years ago

Boyd's Grill was on the north end of 6th and Mass (between Mass and Vt.) It faced the river. Duck's Seafood was on both NH and Vermont at various times. Velvet Freeze was an ice cream store just north of the bank that is now Teller's.

Anyone mention The Purple Pig?

The Seventh Spirit-ah, those were the days. And yes, The Carriage Lamp in The Malls

How about Zip Drugstore where the Palace is now?

Guess you had to live here more than fifty years to go way back.

workinghard 7 years ago

Green Gables, Keim's, later Shorty's which before that was at where Freestate Brewery is now , Greyhound bus station downtown, the store and ice plant on 6th and Kentucky. There was also a small neighborhood grocery store at, I believe, 6th and Indiana where an atique store is now, and also the lumber yard on sixth street between Tennessee and Kentucky. Does anyone remember the playroom they had for kids at the Dillons on Mass street?

workinghard 7 years ago

Did anyone mention the White House?

workinghard 7 years ago

Remember when a bomb went off at the kansas student union and destroyed the ballroom?

workinghard 7 years ago

And who could forget Grant's pet store with the alligator running loose, run by I believe two elderly sisters.

workinghard 7 years ago

Just scrolled back through all the posts and don't see any about the two movie theaters downtown, The Varsity and the Granada which were across the street from each other.

SpeedRacer 7 years ago

There have been so many things mentioned that I had forgotten about, and some I wish were still around. These were alot of the things that attracted me here. Has Lawrence changed for the better?

bilabila 7 years ago

jade on 23rd used to be a Country Kitchen back in 90's when I was in high school...not sure about before that or if there was something in between. Chipotle/Kinko's where Woolworths used to be....ohhhhhhh they had the best shakes....used to get them during summer SYT in junior high! wow you have really aged this 29 year old....lol. also Cornocopia where Bambino's now stands.....some of the same cooks as Tin Pan Alley....anyone remember the "hungry tongue" as me and my brothers called it. Also Vista Burger was on 6th...there is some car place there now.

Godot 7 years ago

workinghard 7 years ago

Thanks Marion, that would be great. I also remember a little library-reading room inside the front door on the right. I used to love to sit in there and read the books. I went back this summer to find it and it was gone, either that or it wasn't where I remembered. I was so sad to see it gone. Even the student union has changed a lot in 30 years, but the English room was still there.

Godot 7 years ago

Marion, I lived in a scholarship hall just down the hill from the Union. That night was a nightmare. I thought civil war had broken out. Soldiers burst into our room, pointing their weapons at us and searching the room. People were running through the streets yelling and screaming.

I always thought that the SDS was behind the fire, though I had no proof, just rumors and comments by others.

Godot 7 years ago

lunacydetector 7 years ago

wasn't the Purple Pig located where webb's liquor store title loan joint is today on 23rd?

i forgot about McCrory Otasco next to dirty dillons on mass. someone mentioned this. i said it was a coast to coast that downsized next door. i stand corrected. there was a hair salon and a clothing store next to dirty dillons but i can't remember the names. dillons later expanded into those spaces.

lunacydetector 7 years ago

the elk's club on 23rd street (now clinton parkway) turned into a school administration building turned into a church? today. 23rd was a chip and seal two lane road.

allstar dairy at princeton and mcdonald road is the school administration building today. i remember that spot was proposed as the 2nd high school but it turned into the school administration building instead.

godot, i remember the guy you're talking about at tuesday morning.

sheshapes 7 years ago

Wow. This thread rocks. Thanks for the amazing reading.

workinghard 7 years ago

The old bridge, and the Lawrence Paper company down by the river. We used to collect newspapers around the neighborhood in a wagon and sell them to the paper company.

gccs14r 7 years ago

In more recent memory, The Mad Greek was on 23rd when I moved to town, but I don't remember exactly where. Anyone remember?

workinghard 7 years ago

Who can forget the horse drawn ice cream carts. Does anyone remember when they stopped?

bert 7 years ago

the pool at 6th and Florida was originally the municipal pool. it was closed and privatized when they were going to have to integrate about 1957.

Sheryl Wiggins 7 years ago

OnlyTheOne 7 years ago

What was the dark themed Steak House across from Laird Noller's on 23rd st. Used to give you a steak dinner on your birthday.

amyklamet 7 years ago

A few others I remembered (or need help remembering).

Russell's East (somewhere on 6th St)?

LeMan's arcade (on 23rd maybe the new Yamaha place?)

Kids Kuts - where kids sat on carousel type animals to receive their haircuts (23rd Yamaha)

Becceros (Ranch on 6th St)

What were the other restaurants before Henry T's?

What was the place on the corner of 23rd and Iowa (CVS Pharmacy) that was a drive up - where they served biscuits with honey - I loved going there as a kid.

I remember Calhoun's - my mom bought me a purple outfit - what was she thinking?

Dairy King - on 6th - owned by the Peck family. One of my favorite stops after swimming at the Olympic pool (Jayhawk Plunge). Also liked stopping at A&W for a frito chili pie.

Ice cream place at 6th & Maine - I think it was Peter Pan's?? I remember getting peppermint ice cream there - a holiday favorite.

Does anyone remember when the health department was in the basement of the building across from Border's?

Hunan's - about where Blockbuster is.

Magic Wok where Flowerama is - also was Taco Via maybe?

Mount Hope nursery before Holidome and townhouses?

Dave - this is a wonderful idea - but I am biased!

amyklamet 7 years ago

OnlyTheOne -

Mr. Steak - I remember those free birthday dinners!

amyklamet 7 years ago

Regarding Leo and his cart - I remember being scared of him when I was young - I wanted to buy a pencil but never did - Ironically 40+ years later I wrote a project thesis on The Leo Center (named after him).

thebigspoon 7 years ago

Flowerama used to be Texas Toms then Taco Via then it was an oriental restaurant where there was a shootiing once

Greg Yother 7 years ago

When they were renovating to put in Flowerama, they ripped all of the siding off of the upper front, and you could see the old Taco Via underneath...it was like going back in time.

HA HA! Texas Toms! Man, some of these just make me grin like an idiot when I think about them!

Greg Yother 7 years ago

The old faded Taco Via sign/letters that is...

workinghard 7 years ago

Was it run by the Mott's, that name seems to come to mind?

amyklamet 7 years ago

Remember all of those jewelry stores in downtown Lawrence? Roberts, Briman's, McQueen's and Guenther's....

thebigspoon 7 years ago

I typed in a question earlier.

What was at 6th & maine Taco John's is now?

David Klamet 7 years ago

I don't know what was before Taco John's at 6th and Maine. There was an ice cream place across the street, though.

Also, there was a reference in one of the comments to Central Junior High. I know that is used to be Liberty Memorial High School, before Lawrence High was built.

Bitterfalls 7 years ago

Heartland Skate ramp in North Lawrence.

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years ago

Wasn't it western sizzlin where plum tree is now? I remember going to pizza hut where El mezcal is now, and big boy right next door. I remember going to Krogers where DIllons on 23rd is now. Ahh the memories, when Penneys was downtown. I also loved Sub n Stuff, Village Inn, Bum Steer, and TG &Y. Dad always got us a sled from Otascos and back then ghetto Dillon's wasn't so ghetto! Ken's pizza was the bomb and so was the A&W drive in on 6th street. My 1st drive in was star wars at sunset.

kcwarpony 7 years ago

"kcwarpony-that place you're asking about on the corner of 23rd and Iowa used to be 'The All Seasons Motel' when I worked there in the 80's. Before that I don't know."

Finnbar1, Gee, and here I was hoping it was all a terrible nightmare!

thebigspoon, I believe 6th and Maine was where Alfie's Fish & Chips was located.

thebigspoon 7 years ago

I remeber the fish and chips place but couldn't remember if it was Alfie's or Arthur Treacher's.

thebigspoon 7 years ago

justfornow, Henry T's was the Brahma House.

cobaltblue 7 years ago

Remember the first hotdog cart downtown? What was it called and when was it in bizniz?

Extra credit if you bought a hotdog there and can describe what kind it was.

kcwarpony 7 years ago

"I've heard that way back there was a car dealership in the 900 block of Mass; there was a showroom on the second story."

My mother says it was at 7th & Mass. It was either Tag or Blackie Sanders who was co-owner and she thinks they sold Studebaker and Hudson. Don't remember the showroom. Tag and Blackie were the owners of Sanders Motor Co. at 9th & Mass later on.

And yes, she remembers the fairs and carnivals at 23rd and Louisiana and buying milk at the Log Cabin!

GretchenJP 7 years ago

amyklamet (Anonymous) says:

"Mount Hope nursery before Holidome and townhouses?"

I lived on W. 2nd Street from the time I was 3 to the time I was 20 and I remember the Mount Hope Nursery very well... there was also a bridge and a creek behind it and us kids would go exploring back there all the time. That was waaay before the children's nursery that sits there now and the townhouses. I also remember before Miller Mart and the Holidome was built and the USD 497 building used to be The All Star Dairy. Also, I went to Riverside Elementary right by KMart Distribution before it turned into offices. good times good times

GretchenJP 7 years ago

justfornow (Anonymous) says:

"Amy, What were the other restaurants before Henry T's? Aztec inn, worked there in high school. Remember when Aztec inn was downtown by the pool."

Oh my god, my favorite Mexican restaurant... wasn't it on Vermont Street at one point and then it moved into the Hilllcrest Lanes bowling alley?

Godot 7 years ago

Spouse says the Lawrence drive in was located where Laird Noller Ford now stores their vehicles, east of 23rd and Alabama. 23rd street was paved only to Louisiana at that time, further west it was just a dirt road leading to the drive in.

Griffs was the first hambuger joint in town, it was in an A frame bulding on the north side of 23rd, west of Ousdahl.

There was also a drive-in on Sixth about where the shopping center that houses Conroy's.

George's Hobby shop was in the 1100 block of Mass before it moved out to the Malls.

Newell_Post 7 years ago

"What was the Mexican restaurant across from the court house? My stepmom worked there but I can't remember the name."

Casa de Taco? (I think.) We called it the Casa de Garlic because they put so much garlic in everything.

gccs14r 7 years ago

I asked the folks at Mad Greek where they used to be and they said where Taco Bell is now. They moved in 1993.

hujiko 7 years ago

If anyone of you oldies want to re-experience these things from the air, one need only go to http://www.lib.ku.edu/mapscoll/web/airindex.shtml

It's an index of aerial photography of Douglas County, going back to 1937 in some cases. You can see the mentioned Drive-In movie theaters and look at the virgin Wakarusa Valley before the Corps moved in.

KsTwister 7 years ago

1. Where Dunn's Coffee Shop is now on 23rd st. (when the sale was 5 burgers for $1.00 and fries 10¢) 2.Penneys, which moved to where Hobby Lobby before moving to Iowa location 3.Kinko's on Mass 4.Sandy's
  2. Downtown, then to 23rd next to Paper Warehouse,now behind it
  3. Sunset Drive-In Theater
  4. huh? 8.on 6th street where the BarBQue place went in, is it still there? 9.Can't remember but it had a salad type name
  5. across from the Courthouse then facing the Park. Extra credit

6. yes

7. yes
  8. Even gave him some of the pencils

KsTwister 7 years ago

For extra extra credit: Where was Allen's Drive In located and what did they do?

TacoBob 7 years ago

Okay, what was the building (abandoned frat house?) at the top of the hill on 9th street? How about the abandoned building near 23rd and Iowa, think it was a hotel or the like, had a draned swimming pool that was always filled with frogs in the summer. Then there was Duckwalls, near 19th and Mass? A small building that was a barber shop where DQ is now, barber shop moved to the Dillon's plaza later. Lawrence Lumber across the street.

In a later era, Gammons.

Finally, the orignal First National Bank, now a restaraunt.

Can anyone validate?

KsTwister 7 years ago

That's it!!! yep, salad stuff. Thanks

Allen's served chicken(before kentucky Fried came here) and lies beneath Furr's and the new CVS Pharmacy.

And the Lawrence Ice Company was downtown, ah the days before ice makers. Gambles,Gibson's, Woolworth's,Turner's grocery with penny candy, Lawrence Dairy and gas stations that pumped your gas and cleaned your windows.

Yes, I don't miss the changes, just sometimes the prices.

blindrabbit 7 years ago

Someone mentioned the 3 old junior high buildings at 9th and Kentucky. "Manual" Building was on the Northwest corner where the Douglas County Bank is located, Remember Nanny Duver conducting boxing (mandatory) on the top floor gum and Preston and Burgess wood and metal shops in the basement.

"Central" Building was/is located on the Southwest corner; still there converted to a office building many years ago,

"Old High" Building was on the Southeast Corner; it served as the "main" building and the lair of Ralph Graber, Principal.

No lunch facilities at school then so many of us headed to the several cafe's downtown.

Godot 7 years ago

"Godot (Anonymous) says:

dorothyhr, one of those acoustic musicians in the basement of the opera house was Sue Kean; she and her husband, Gene, founded Sunshine Acres Montessori School."

Make that Susan Kean Mozykowski.

Jeff Goodrick 7 years ago

Anybody remember the Kaw Valley Hemp pickers on the north bound turnpike tunnel?

Keith 7 years ago

Don't forget Burger Chef where Johnny I's is now.

MattressMan 7 years ago

thebigspoon (Anonymous) says: justfornow, Henry T's was the Brahma House

and before that it was originally Grampy's, a pancake house type establishment.

RiverCityConservative 7 years ago

Seventh Spirit Also what were the names of the head shops downtown? And the Pentimento coffee house just north of the post office And what was the name of that place along that same block, narrow entrance, where you had to order really fast and eat efficiently to make way for the next customer? And Tin Pan Alley existed for a year or two...

KsTwister 7 years ago

Newell: You got the story right. My father now and then cared for Leo when he was younger. He was somehow a distant relative to the family and until he went to Germany in WWII he would sit with him. When Dad returned he used to check visit him too.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

Bokanon (spelling) and Strawberry Fields. Bokanon was on 8th street in that neat looking building that's a hair salon now. Strawberry Fields became Fields, which sold posters and other art, until just recently.

Montparnasse 7 years ago

My favorites as a child, circa 1972: 1) The record store (45s kept behind the counter!) at Hillcrest Shopping Center - next to Duckwall's I believe, on the lower level. 2) The Green Pepper restaurant/pizza. If memory serves, it was located on the most west part of the current strip mall at 23rd and Louisiana.

countrygirl 7 years ago

Thanks for the look into Lawrence's past all! I've been in the area for 18 years so most of this is well before me--but very interesting.

Newell_Post 7 years ago

Here's a Leo Beuerman story from before my time in Lawrence that I have heard from several people. Can anyone confirm or deny it?

The story is that one day several "unruly youth" of the town grabbed Leo and beat him severely. The police couldn't or didn't catch them and if Leo knew who they were, he wouldn't say. However, several people had a pretty good idea who they were. Some of the KU fraternity guys got together, hunted them down, and repaid the favor. True or not?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

I thought it was some frat boys who beat him up.

MattressMan 7 years ago

RiverCityConservative (Anonymous) says:And what was the name of that place along that same block, narrow entrance, where you had to order really fast and eat efficiently to make way for the next customer?

That would be the Red Lion, the smart diner would walk in and just say "special please Bill" otherwise you'd be taking a big chance of getting nothing but mashed taters tossed your way. I think he left town to go pan for gold out west.

Keith 7 years ago

Anyone recall the head shop where Rudy's is now, White Light? Bonus points if you remember what the next business venture of the owner was, and double bonus points if you know the name of the downtown real estate magnate who was part of Bokonon.

50YearResident 7 years ago

How many remember when Stokley VanCamps Pork and Beans were made right here in Lawrence? Pop Corn packaged and sold here too, can't remember the name!

Kurt Kummer 6 years, 12 months ago

We moved away from lawrence in 1962, but it sure was a great place to grow up. Griff's Burger Bar at Ousdahl and 23rd was a family favorite, probably because the burgers were 19 cents. Drake's Bakery was one of my favorite places downtown, it was near Weaver's Dept. Store with the neat pneumatic system. Never bought a pencil from Leo (too scared) but he sure could get around in that little cart. We played on the old steam engine often, and the big wooden dinosaur that was out at Centennial Park. Does anyone else remember the kid's cartoon area at Dillon's? It was just inside the front door, you climbed in through the tiny door, sat down and watched a loop of old b/w cartoons till your Mom was done shopping. How about the section at the KU football games filled with kids wearing their KUFF's buttons?

Godot 6 years, 12 months ago

none2, I might have some photos. I'll see if I can dredge them up.

radish54 4 years, 4 months ago

Remember The Big Eat >Omegathon> what ever it is now (The Wakarusa Festival?) Roger and Cheryl Bash's Head Shop - BASH Lake Henry George Kimball for Sheriff Kaw Valley Hemp Pickers The Stables/The Sanctuary'Teepee Junction all from Ace and Gay Johnson and staffers: Karen and Paul Hidaka, Keith and Jannell, Russ, Corky, Jeff, Shane, Glenn, Robyn, Jamie, Doug, Julie and a cast of thousands.

Thanks for the memories, esp. of the Campus Hideaway, Joe's Bakery, Squeezer's Palace The Community Mercantile and the moment my mindset changed forever in the little duplex apartment on Rhode Island…

iamlittlegiant54 4 years, 1 month ago

Anyone remember Mott's Ice Cream Wagon with Judy the Horse....sure would like to see a photo if anyone has one ..

tawerks 3 years, 4 months ago

The first George's Hobby Shop was located in the 1100 block of Mass on the west side of the street about the middle of the block