LJWorld.com weblogs In Simple Words

The Old Windmill

A little over a hundred years ago, if you'd been driving...your horse and buggy...down 9th street out by Emery Rd, you might have seen something like this.

I found two links with information about the windmill, both articles are from the Journal World:

The picture was used in this article from earlier this year about the print room at the Spencer Museum of Art.

Back in 2004, there was this article about Lawrence landmarks.

Does anyone remember the Windmill apartments that used to be in that area? Now I know where the name came from.

Comments

Linda Hanney 7 years ago

I am amazed how many historical structures are destroyed by fire. It would be interesting to know if any descendants of the original builder of the windmill are still located in Lawrence.

Ronda Miller 7 years ago

What an interesting piece about this windmill. I read about it with interest since windmills happen to be one of my favorite things in the world - something about remembering the taste, cold and sweet, of the water from the one that badly needed oiling on the farm I grew up on.

The windmill was central to the farm yard buildings that surrounded it. It was central to life for all those around as well.

How interesting that the picture of the windmill was framed with some of the actual wood from the windmill.

Great!

David Lignell 7 years ago

I had a lot of stereotypes about Kansas when I first moved here, but having windmills wasn't among them. Interesting piece, Dave,

Ronda Miller 7 years ago

Absolutely beatiful pictures of this max1. Thank you. Are windmills large enough to live in?

David Klamet 7 years ago

Excellent.
I wish there were on on-line repository for all (or at least many/most) of the historic pictures, maps, and charts related to this area.

Ronda Miller 7 years ago

Thanks for answering my question about size. How much do you figure it would cost to have one built these days? A cool home out on an acre or two of land - a couple of miniature horses. I like it!