LJWorld.com weblogs honeychild's blog

What the Hell, Larryville??!

This is going to be a very short blog because its basically just a rant. As most of y'all know by now, I am a former resident and still a semi-frequent visitor of your charming little hamlet. I love Lawrence... It has such a embracing spirit about it that I haven't encountered in any other town I've lived in or have even visited. Everyone I know, from California to Chicago, who have been to Lawrence (most of them musicians who are friends of my boyfriend and are scattered throughout) have nothing but positive things to say about it.

BUT.... I happened to drive though Lawrence yesterday and encountered the crappiest traffic clusterf**k I have seen in many years. I knew that there was construction on 23rd BUT i didn't know that it was for pretty much the entire length of the street, from Iowa to K-10, and that BOTH sides of the street would be messed up at the same time, making the flow of cars not flow at all.

Salina is my home and I do have my issues w/ it. Like most of Kansas, it is occupied by alot of right-wing boomers who see no other way of doing things other than the ways that their parents and grandparents carried on. My boyfriend (who is a Chicago native) calls Salina "Lawrence's boring, conservative sister". So don't get me wrong-- I'm not trying to act like my hometown doesn't have its problem. HOWEVER the public works department here does have the good sense to know that, when you are fixing a major thoroughfare, you do NOT close off BOTH lanes at the same dang time! When we are fixing a major artery like Crawford, Broadway, Ohio or South 9th street here, we fix one lane at a time just so atleast in one direction, traffic can still flow normally.

What the hell, Larryville? You almost had me cussing you out yesterday morning and afternoon!! Don't inconvenience me like that again, understand?!

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

is that "LOL" an aggreeance or just laughing at my expense because i was so annoyed? ;P

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

marion, i didn't even factor that in (re: the students being back and such). wow. makes it even more asinine.

another thing we wouldn't do here in sublima is have the ENTIRE length of a street like crawford or south 9th under construction at one time... they'd do it a couple of blocks at a time.

RoeDapple 6 years ago

I was talking to my friends ED, Shorty and Wilt just this morning about this very thing.....

Oh, wait! That's a different blog.....

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

Saw the headline & thought this was about the forum that had the good sense to ban mario for life.

Never mind.....

beawolf 6 years ago

Why not do the work at night? I believe when Mass st. and Iowa were worked on last year most of the construction took place from midnight to 6am. That said, it's not that difficult to avoid 23rd, unless you are going to a business on the street, and I guarantee you, 90% are not.

remember_username 6 years ago

Not that I'm into conspiracies or anything but what I thought funny was all the recent posting and OTS questions regarding the SLT and transportation plans. Then I get on 23rd yesterday and bang - right during rush hour too, plus the pavement stripping machine broke down in the middle of the 23rd and Louisiana intersection. Tell me the timing wasn't a little too coincidental.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

well i had to take K-10 to overland park (yeh, i know i could've taken I-70 to 435 south but USUALLY, the place i go to in OP is more accessible from K-10) so i pretty much had to get on 23rd. next time i'll probably just take I-70.

snap, i know not what you are speaking of. first of all, who is mario??

roe, i was wondering if there was another blog about the traffic situation but i wanted my own little individualized rant, thank you. (i still have somewhat of an attitude, in case you couldn't already tell.)

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

remember_user, dude, we were both on that street at the same time yesterday. in fact, i think you may have been behind me... do you remember seeing a chick in a buick (with saline county tags) pulling out handfuls of curly hair? that was ME!!

and i saw the paver broken down too. i didn't know it was broken down tho... i just saw that it was stationary and was wondering if dude operating it was on a coffee break or something....

jimmyjms 6 years ago

"Get offa my lawn, you whippersnappers!"

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

jack... not really getting the implied paradox between being liberal and cussing at folks while in my car on a torn up road. you lost me w/ that one...

mom_of_three 6 years ago

I did think it was odd that they waited to do the construction on 23rd street, but it could be a funding issue. BUT you don't live here permanently, and you felt inconvienced. Thought that was kind of funny.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

mere du trois, what's so funny about me feeling inconvenienced? i had an appointment in OP and that's why i was trying to take K-10 (as i have done a kazillion times before) and ended up barely making it on time. being a mom of 3 i would think that you'd understand why this mom of 4 was kinda sorta ticked off at the gridlock.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

and i have to be a resident to be pissed off at that crap?... so y'all pay taxes on the roads in douglas county so you have the right but i can only bellyache about potholes in saline county. remember that the next time you're traveling down I-70 or I-35 and you come across a time stealing stretch of contruction.... be mindful of which county you're in at the time before you complain.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

wow... i honestly didn't know that complaining about road construction was indicative to conservatism. learn something new everyday...

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

oh and, just so you know, i can't comment on the bypass since i am no longer a card-carrying douglas county resident.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

dude, i actually applaud jason gage, the city manager here in salina, and the city crews here for having the good sense and foresight to not tear up the entire length of a major thoroughfare, BOTH lanes at the same time. i have nothing but love for our public works. a shout out to all y'all in orange vests populating salina streets! holla!

Boston_Corbett 6 years ago

OK, 9th street was closed and had a long total rebuild east of Iowa most of the summer.

Sooo, what would everybody had said if both 9th were closed and 23rd was ripped up simultaneously?

Yes, they would have had a cow.

billbodiggens 6 years ago

Honeychild. . . arguing with Jack-R is a dead deal. He/she/it is not here to discuss anything, but to argue.

mistygreen 6 years ago

All I have to say is if we had the by pass, this wouldn't be a problem. You tree huggers reap what you so. You made your bed, now it's time to lie in it. I really don't feel sorry.

mistygreen 6 years ago

Correction - "you reap what you sow." It's really not necessary jump all over me about my spelling error.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

bill, thanks for the heads up. i was starting to suspect that. anyone who equates my complaining about roadwork to being a hypocritical liberal w/ a hidden agenda is leaning toward the positive end in the dingbat index.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

misty, i got the jist of what you were saying in the first place. i am indeed a tree hugger, as i have quite literally hugged a tree or two, but i don't think i've sown anything to be reaped where road construction is concerned.

but hey-- me being a quasi-nouveau hippy, i'll just shut up and let y'all bob dole lovin' folks have the spotlight. can't we all just get along?........

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

wow, jack, you figured me out. busted.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

Mel, my post was a reference to the forum at larryville dot com.

mom_of_three 6 years ago

Well, no, you can't complain about the traffic like you are, if you don't live here and have to deal with it on a daily basis. it's a headache, but you know, traffic is that way in KC, too, without construction. One lane each way is a pain, but could be so much worse.
Citizens of Lawrence were told in the paper about the construction several times. I guess you don't read the ljworld.com in salina. If you want to stay connected to lawrence, read the paper.
And yes, it seems to be a funding issue as to why its happening now and not in the summer. They are squeezing it between a couple of football games.

puddleglum 6 years ago

well, that's what you get for being a liberal. if you would have voted for the republican party, you would be able to go down 23rd much faster, without all those pesky regualtions in place, like intersections and such. nascar

Richard Heckler 6 years ago

I had no trouble whatsoever navigating 23rd street. It's just part of the deal.

This rehab work could have been done during summer school break.

Steve Miller 6 years ago

i heard they were going to put in a round about ? anyone hear that.

puddleglum 6 years ago

dudedog12....that is the best troll attempt I have ever seen.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

I wear bright cheerful clothing while navigating 23rd St.

supertrampofkansas 6 years ago

I went down 23rd street this morning thinking I would venture to give it a try again and was pleasantly surprised at not having to navigate the cones going eastward toward K10. I was thinking somebody important must have complained about the debacle of closing down one lane in the morning when everybody was rushing from West Lawrence to get to KC. This had been done on Monday morning with no road workers and road equipment visible. In fact nothing had been done at that point except someone moved all of the cones out. It did seem idiotic to me at the time not to wait until later after morning rush hour was through.

Needless to say, while I did and do feel like complaining about it, I will be thankful for being able to drive down a nice smooth road when they get it all fixed up.

knayte 6 years ago

Yeah, we were told that this construction was coming long ago. All you guys whining about the traffic now will be quietly remarking to yourself on how nice the street is once it's finished.

Stat_Guys 6 years ago

puddleglum, And with only 74 comments under his belt too! We've got an over achiever in our midst. Sounds familiar but the one I'm thinking of worked much harder, faster. Hmmm. :O)

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

LOL @ multi. you have flashes of brilliance, my dear. ;)

mom of 3... whatever.

supertramp, you are the voice of pragmatism in this thread and for that, i applaud. :)

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

puddle... you dirty liberal dog you! making that nascar reference. for shame.

p.s. will you marry me? :D

Ronda Miller 6 years ago

As long as the comments and Lawrence traffic don't keep you from coming through again.

Sorry I missed you. Fun blog!

Bossa_Nova 6 years ago

crappy roads or not and despite its shortcomings, i still love larryville. i'd rather sit in a traffic jam in lawrence than cruise rapidly through topeka or johnson county

JackKats 6 years ago

I lived in Chicago in 1989 when the Dan Ryan was being torn up. I lived in DC where they were adding about 6 lanes, overpasses, and rerouting traffic where 95.395, 495 and the Springfield exit meet. I lived in NC where "cones" are a State Symbol. There is really very little traffic in Lawrence even with a road being torn up. Perspectives are a curious thing.

JackKats 6 years ago

OH yes..by the way. My grandparents and parents lived through the great depression, fought in WWII, liberated the world from a tyrant, helped rebuild Europe, established a super power, fought for democracy throughout the world, had character and values, kept arms from being put in Cuba, stood up for democracy, were patriotic, loved America and served their country in war and an extended peace, and also helped build the Worlds best road system. What is wrong with what my grandparents and parents did? I am proud to be called my Father's son.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

you come from a busy family, jacks.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

thanks, miss ronda! i hope to get together w/ you sometime as well. i'm hoping the vibe i got from you re: banana bread is accurate. :D

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

bossa, i agree. i too prefer lawrence over jo-co or topeka (especially topeka). like i said, i usually have very little in the negative-nelly department to say about lawrence so i had to make it a special point to beetch this time.

iridebikesalot 6 years ago

How dare you have an opinion and want to express it. pffft..!

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

i know, iride... shame on me. 20 lashes w/ a wet fettucini noodle.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

oh, and just in case you all didn't know, my great-great grandparents were kidnapped, brought over here by force and enslaven. oh-- a few of them were told that their land was no longer theirs and that they had to move all of the way from the east coast up to good ol' oklahoma-- where the wind goes sweeping cross the plain. :D i don't want to do things like MY great-great grandparents did. sorry. doesn't sound like too much fun. and i'm pretty sure my ancient relatives wouldn't WANT me to follow in their footsteps either! :D

good night to you all!

iridebikesalot 6 years ago

How did this post turn into you being unpatriotic ? I mean, obviously you are, but that's for another post..

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

from 123 feet to 156 feet is to have read the one technical note on the plan.

---can you see the Oread Inn from the afflicted stretch of 23rd?
can we blame this on the Lionsbowl/Svenway park?

name 6 years ago

So what are the chances of the city paying me back for my flat tire caused by this construction?

a)Not Happening b)When Hell freezes over c)After I write a blog ranting and raving

hail2oldku 6 years ago

I use the defacto eastern leg of the bypass, otherwise known as 31st street instead of 23rd street to get across town east to west. :-)

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

hail, thanks. didn't think of that way. its been a minute since i was actually a card-carrying, tax paying resident of douglas county so i had forgotten about 31st street.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

iride, i'm very NOT unpatriotic. i love america and am proud to be american. seriously. not being sarcastic in the least bit.

a coupla other folks up in here thought i was being ungrateful for what their grandparents had accomplished by my statement about salina being primarily comprised of aging boomers who think that things should still be done as their parents and grandparents did. so one particular poster had to rattle off how their grandparents saved the free world, freed dorothy from the clutches of the wicked witch and founded starbucks. i just wanted to let them know that MY people had also lived certain lifestyles that i wouldn't neccesarily want to emmulate (and that i highly doubt they would want emmulated). in fact, the poster's grandparents' parents who saved humanity probably owned some of my misfortunate relatives, for a time atleast.

unless their relative was john brown. now THAT would be cool!!

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

py, muchos gracias for the kindness. :)

BigPrune 6 years ago

They can only do so much with 6 men working 12-16 hour days.

Mel Briscoe 6 years ago

.... and one of their pavers broken down in the intersection of 23rd and lou. lol